Dragon Ball Z franchise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• https://twitter.com/FUNimation/statu...82385703100417
    Something legendary is coming... a new Dragon Ball Z collector's edition celebrating 30 YEARS!

Full series, on Blu-ray, North America's first full artbook, an exclusive figure, and... more announcements to come!

EDIT: https://www.funimation.com/dbz30th
    SOMETHING LEGENDARY IS COMING...

It's been 30 years of Dragon Ball Z and we want to celebrate in the most perfect way - with you! With your help, we're going to make a collector's edition worthy of a series this big, happen. Here's a look at what you can expect from this epic collection:
    • The complete Dragon Ball Z series on Blu-ray with new bonus content
    • North America's first ever full-sized hardback artbook - available only in this set!
    • An exclusive collectible figure - not available anywhere else!
    And there's so much more to come, but we can't do it without your help.

HOW THIS WORKS

In the coming weeks, we'll reveal full details of the set and open a reservation period for fans to reserve their copy of this must-have collector's edition. And while we'd like to just wish it into creation with the Dragon Balls, we're going to need at least 2,500 of you super fans to help make this happen!

We'll have full details and artwork to reveal soon - and you won't want to miss out! Be sure to keep up-to-date by signing up for emails.

F.A.Q.

WHY HOLD A RESERVATION CAMPAIGN?

Due to the high costs associated with the set, we need to guarantee a minimum number to print. We think a DBZ 30th anniversary set is an awesome idea, but we need to measure the interest!

WHY 2,500 UNITS?

This is the minimum build order for sets from our printers. This minimum makes sure that we can sell the product to you at an affordable price.

WHY ARE YOU HOSTING THIS HERE INSTEAD OF ON A PLATFORM LIKE KICKSTARTER?

The short answer? We aren't looking to crowdfund this set. We feel that Kickstarter and similar crowdfunding platforms are typically asking fans to fund the creation of new content, not something like a collector's edition which may be cool but isn't quite the same as new content. We love and support (and back!) lots of projects for new anime, new dubs, or new forays into the North American market, though!

IF THE SET DOESN'T HIT 2,500 UNITS, WILL IT REALLY NEVER BE CREATED?

We're holding ourselves to the commitment that your pledge actually means something and is more than a gesture, so if we don't hit the minimum, we will not create the set.
    EDIT 2 (rumor/speculation from Mar 1): http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/view...85069#p1585069
    Originally posted by Geekdom101
    So here's ANOTHER one for ya... cause i love ya (legit I do)

30th Anniversary Remasters ARE coming.
    Will be announced VERY soon.
    Z first (presumably)
    4:3
    Audio is also stellar
    WILL be localized
    Last edited by WTK; 03-02-2019, 06:45 PM. Reason: clarify EDIT 2 notation...

Comment

• So they are doing something like what they did for the Cowboy Bebop 20th anniversary set in that there's a Kickstarter-like campaign for an ultra-premium edition of a show that has made quite an impact on the industry. I'm not into DBZ, so I'm not planning to get it, but it's great for all the die-hards who love this franchise to death. Anyway, I'll be interested to see just how super-premium this will get.
      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
      Watching: Stellvia, Baki, Toonami Stuff
      Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

• So far: complete DBZ series BD (hinted to be 4:3) + full-sized hardback artbook + exclusive collectible figure. This won't be a cheap release. How close will the price get to the Legend of the Galactic Heroes BD LE?

Comment

• Oh god, how much are they going to make me spend on Dragon Ball Z this time? This definitely sounds like my kind of release, but they had damn well better put out these discs in more affordable releases in the future. Everyone deserves this series in its proper presentation.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

• This Geekdom101 guy sounds like he has no source of info whatsoever other than his theorizing, and that he's simply blowing hot air.

Given how similar this seems to the Bebop CE, down to its key marketing mentions only including phrases like "new bonus content" and various physical extras, and that their FAQ contains the same "We feel that Kickstarter and similar crowdfunding platforms are typically asking fans to fund the creation of new content, not something like a collector's edition which may be cool but isn't quite the same as new content." line, my money's on (or rather not on, since I won't be buying it if I'm right) Funi once again simply packing inferior discs into an insanely marked up premium package for the whales to jump at. I mean, I jumped at all 3 of Funi's Bebop sets (fortunately only one was produced), being the whale that I am, but I won't be doing so for their existing godawful DBZ discs.
            Last edited by Spoofer; 03-02-2019, 04:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spoofer View Post
              This Geekdom101 guy sounds like he has no source of info whatsoever other than his theorizing, and that he's simply blowing hot air.

Given how similar this seems to the Bebop CE, down to its key marketing mentions only including phrases like "new bonus content" and various physical extras, and that their FAQ contains the same "We feel that Kickstarter and similar crowdfunding platforms are typically asking fans to fund the creation of new content, not something like a collector's edition which may be cool but isn't quite the same as new content." line, my money's on (or rather not on, since I won't be buying it if I'm right) Funi once again simply packing inferior discs into an insanely marked up premium package for the whales to jump at. I mean, I jumped at all 3 of Funi's Bebop sets (fortunately only one was produced), being the whale that I am, but I won't be doing so for their existing godawful DBZ discs.
              If it's who I think it is, they've been reliable about DragonBall related rumors in the past. My assumption is these releases will use Toei's recent Netflix/Amazon masters to some extent. Hopefully the censored aspects aren't baked in.

Makes sense to me given how few PE units they're pushing to sell. And hopefully a Standard Edition isn't far behind, as I'm unsure if Toei's Blu-Ray releases in Japan are premium this time like with the Dragon Box sets.
              Last edited by Rootsofjustice; 03-02-2019, 06:13 PM.

Comment

• So wait, we have to pay for the product BEFORE they even make it without even knowing how the quality is? That's bullshit.

Comment

• I guess this is their way to release the Level sets that we truly want without having to worry about the costs (and attrition) involved of releasing them one at a time. I'm a little scared about what they plan to price it at. If it's anything like LotGH's set, then I'll steer far clear of this one as well. That being said, a remastered 4:3 ratio Blu-ray set that's not butchered is the only way to get me to spend any money on DBZ at this point. I hope they can create a set that at least makes sense. If not, then I'll have to hope for the eventual re-release down the road that's not so crazy.
                  Avatar: Chihaya Ayase from Chihayafuru
                  Maintainer of the Locked Subtitle Tracking Thread

Comment

• I hope this won't be like the Bebop set, and basically just be the existing Blus in collectable packaging. I would absolutely pass on that. If it's the entire series (291 episodes), it will not be cheap, but I'm willing to shell out for it if it's done right since I'm a huge fan and passed on the previous Blus (hopefully this won't be $300 or something). Unlike the Dragon Boxes, I hope this also has the US soundtrack (at least for the Bruce Faulconer era). If you're watching DBZ dubbed, you may as well get the full experience as an option. I actually prefer that music anyway (it's closer to my taste, it's far less repetitive, and for my money, fits the atmosphere and tone of the show better, at least what the dub was going for).

4:3 isn't the only hope I have for the picture. It should also keep the 16mm film grain as much as possible. The noise reduction in the 2007 remaster was almost as bad as the cropping. The backgrounds look like glass paintings on the current Blus, it's pretty horrendous.

The 2,500 pledge is a really weird bar to set. It's not that big of a number considering DB's massive fanbase. It reminds me of the Japanese Dragon Box sets, which were exclusively available through pre-order.
                    Last edited by PurpleWarrior13; 03-03-2019, 03:15 AM.
                    Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

• https://www.funimation.com/dbz30th

^ updated to 3000 units (instead of 2500 units).

Comment

• Okay, it HAS to be a Level set esque remaster with those kind of reservation numbers. If it's just repackaged Season discs Funimation will be the laughingstock of the industry.
                        Tensa Zangetsu

Comment

• I need actual video quality previews before I can commit to anything like this.

Comment

• Yep. People have been screwed by too many complete garbage DVD and Blu-ray editions over the years to put up a blind pre-order for "yet another DBZ set." Even Funimation has to realize that.

Comment

• do we have a timeline of how long this will take to get updated ?

Comment

• https://www.funimation.com/dbz30th
                                https://www.funimation.com/shop/home...n-bd-blr-00302 (currently notes November 5, 2019)

$349.99

https://youtu.be/z_pKjQitI8o

Dragon Ball Z: 30th Anniversary Collector's Edition

THIS IS WHAT LEGENDS ARE MADE OF.

It's been 30 years of Dragon Ball Z and we want to celebrate in the most perfect way-with you! With your help, we're going to make a collector's edition worthy of a series this big, happen.

HOW IT WORKS
                                RESERVATION PERIOD:
                                When you make your reservation, you won't be charged but a credit card is required for pre-authorization.

To thank everyone for their support, those who reserve a set during the reservation period through Funimation will receive a special certificate of authenticity that is individually stamped and numbered!

What if there aren't 3,000 reservations?
                                The set will not be made, and your pre-authorization will expire. We understand that many fans are perfectly happy with their home video releases of Dragon Ball Z that were previously created and that's cool with us! But if we can't hit 3,000 reservations, we won't be able to create this collector's edition.

*Note: If you use a debit card for pre-authorization, it will be treated like a charge to your account. The funds will be withheld until the set is purchased or the authorization expires.

AFTER RESERVATION PERIOD:

What happens after the reservation period?
                                Following our reservation period, if we meet 3,000 reservations, all fans who reserved a set will be charged the full price of the order. Then the sets will be created! You can expect your order to ship before the holidays.

Is there a maximum number of units that can be fulfilled?
                                Yes! Due to manufacturing limits, we are only able to create a total of 6,000 sets.
                                CELEBRATE THE LEGACY!

Bring home a collector's edition of the most iconic series ever! Packed full of everything you could wish for...and more.
                                • Entire Dragon Ball Z series in the original 4:3 aspect ratio, remastered on Blu-ray for the first time ever
                                • An exclusive 11-inch, 30th anniversary version, Grandista Goku collectible figure from Banpresto - not available anywhere else
                                • Full-sized hardback artbook - available only in this set
                                • Housed in a stunning collectible box featuring Shenron in a striking foil design.
                                • Funimation reservations include an individually stamped and numbered Certificate of Authenticity
                                Last edited by WTK; 04-05-2019, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X