Dragon Ball Z franchise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PurpleWarrior13 View Post
    If this is FINALLY a Blu-ray release with the original aspect ratio and 16mm film grain left intact, I will die happy.
    It wouldn't make any sense to keep something like that as a silent Wal-Mart exclusive release...

Anyway, I saw it yesterday at one of the two Wal-Marts I went to and not only was it cheap but it felt like it was only on one disc (didn't buy but holding it made it easy to tell) so it's most likely a re-release of the Triple Feature disc from 10 years ago which would make sense if it was to cash in on the new movie.

Originally posted by DeadlyMessiah View Post
    It would be nice if Funimation would release those new masters since their BDs kind of suck, especially in the subtitle department.
    Only acceptable if they fight Toei for the uncensored version of Movie 11 (and 12 but that's off-topic here).
    Avatar: From Sailor Moon S Episode 118 "The Battle in a Demonic Dimension! The Sailor Soldier's Bet"

Comment

• Originally posted by NJ_ View Post

It wouldn't make any sense to keep something like that as a silent Wal-Mart exclusive release...

Anyway, I saw it yesterday at one of the two Wal-Marts I went to and not only was it cheap but it felt like it was only on one disc (didn't buy but holding it made it easy to tell) so it's most likely a re-release of the Triple Feature disc from 10 years ago which would make sense if it was to cash in on the new movie.
      I think you're conflating two separate things. WTK listed a report from Toei that Funi is going to announce a previously unknown home video release in February for Dragon Ball's 30th anniversary (perhaps in the May solicitations?), and people are hoping it might finally be a release of DBZ TV in the correct aspect ratio.

After that, WTK separately lists a couple of current Walmart exclusives, which are not related to the upcoming Funi 30th anniversary announcement.

Comment

• I completely missed that post from WTK.

BD release of Dragon Ball would be nice but I'm not holding my breath. DBZ Level set-esque release would be nice too.
        Tensa Zangetsu

Comment

• I believe the DBox master are not in HD unfortunately. So there would need to be a new remastering like the "level" sets to be HD. If you simply put the DBox masters on BD it would either be an upscale or SD BD.

Comment

• If Toei is announcing their own release for the 30th anniversary of Z that Funimation will get at the same time, it could certainly be a proper Blu-ray remaster of the series. Given the recent Blu-ray releases of the movies, there's a lot of worry that even Toei will fuck that up, but I just want everyone to be able to get the series without the top and bottom chopped off. I got the Dragon Boxes when they were released, but most people can't get them now, only one cropped release or another. If we could get an HD version that actually stayed as true to the original product as the Dragon Boxes, instead of making it look like it was drawn with magic markers, that would be amazing. Of course, we still haven't gotten the Dragon Boxes of the rest of the franchise in North America, but at least their gross "[color] Brick" releases were less egregious than the Orange Bricks, particularly due to the aspect ratio.
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

• Edited my last post https://fandompost.vbulletin.net/for...285#post723285 to avoid any future confusion.

...and to recap there are three recent Wal-mart B&M DBZ releases:
              - Dragon Ball Z: Broly Triple Threat (Blu-ray)
              - Dragon Ball Z: The Best Villains (DVD)
              - Dragon Ball Z: The Best Fights (DVD)

Comment

• Originally posted by Glorian View Post

I think you're conflating two separate things. WTK listed a report from Toei that Funi is going to announce a previously unknown home video release in February for Dragon Ball's 30th anniversary (perhaps in the May solicitations?), and people are hoping it might finally be a release of DBZ TV in the correct aspect ratio.

After that, WTK separately lists a couple of current Walmart exclusives, which are not related to the upcoming Funi 30th anniversary announcement.
                Ah right, not sure if WTK's previous update with the Broly & Villains listing (the Fights release is new) was before Purple's post so I got confused with his and the first half of DeadlyMessiah's response.
                Avatar: From Sailor Moon S Episode 118 "The Battle in a Demonic Dimension! The Sailor Soldier's Bet"

Comment

• Yeah, I was talking about the new collector's set announcement. Obviously, I have no problem with the movies being 16:9 since that's how they were projected in theaters. The current movie Blu-rays look fine (not counting the Trunks and Bardock specials), although I wish they would reauthor new discs, and release them in boxsets (I still have the three DVD boxsets they put out several years ago).

The Dragon Box masters are old now, and in SD. Those upscaled on Blu-ray wouldn't look any better than the Sailor Moon Blu-rays (also sourced from a restoration from around the same time, and also once heavily coveted among fans). FUNimation should just continue what they were doing with the Level sets and just do new scans of their own 16mm interpositives. Also, if they REALLY want to put out the ultimate collector's set, they should source the Japanese audio from recordings of the original broadcasts. Some diehard fans have been doing a lot of work tracking it down (not sure on the progress). It's not perfect, but certainly much clearer-sounding than the muffled nonsense on the current discs. Apparently, Toei junked the original sound master tapes long ago.

I still have my orange bricks, which I don't love, but refuse to upgrade to the current blus because they have the same problems. I never got the Dragon Box sets because they were too expensive for me at the time and they didn't have the US music that I associate so heavily with the show.
                  Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

• Originally posted by NJ_ View Post
                    Only acceptable if they fight Toei for the uncensored version of Movie 11 (and 12 but that's off-topic here).
                    WTF? That's utter bullshit. Why the hell is Toei censoring their own products?

So having anime series with incest is okay, but sticking up a middle finger isn't?
                    I'm a gamer first, fanboy second. :D

Comment

• I asked on the ANN forums in the corresponding topic, but I'm pretty sure two of those movies, including 11 IIRC which contained the edited middle finger, feature Trunks bending over and mooning the audience with a full view of the back of his, erm, Dragon Balls... Does seem a bit strange if the finger is edited but not Trunks' dangly bits which were also specifically used as an offensive (and graphic) insult. Not that I support the censoring of either, as it is what it is at this point.

If DBZ gets remastered, I agree it'd be nice to have the better broadcast audio and the fixed blue skies. If Funi releases it, I'd certainly like unedited Japanese title cards (or English replacements that still reflect the original titles rather than the dub titles), proper OPs EDs and eyecatches, and next episode previews, most of which the level sets didn't contain, IIRC.
                      Last edited by Spoofer; 02-16-2019, 12:50 AM.

Comment

• People are talking about the Dragon Boxes, but the color's too off on those for me to enjoy watching them; the Level sets Funi did are way better. And there's evidence (footage from one of their Level "making of" extras, IIRC) that they went a fair bit further with that work than what they released.

But honestly, even if Funi just released Blu-ray sets that had the exact same video quality as the current sets, but in 4:3, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Comment

• It would be cool to have the next episode previews. I know the Dragon Boxes had them in Japanese-only, but they WERE dubbed when the show was originally broadcast, at least for episodes 68-291. Toonami had them, and my VHS tapes also had them. Most of them were recorded by Dale Kelly though (others had Sean Schemmel as Goku), and FUNi would probably want those redone with Kyle Hebert.
                          Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

• Noting this here for now...

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/statu...26635143520259
                            https://twitter.com/ToeiAnimation/st...26748842651649
                            Something legendary is coming...

Comment

• There's quite a number of things it could be, but a new TV series would blow the roof off, call it Dragon Ball Ultra. Anyway, I'm expecting to be something less than that seeing that Funimation often hypes up something only for it to not be quite the big thing that fans were hoping would get announced.
                              MyAnimeList | Avatar: Haru, My Roommate is a Cat
                              Watching: And Yet the Town Moves, Super Sonico, Hayate the Combat Butler season 2, Toonami Stuff
                              Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
                              The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

• Looking at it further from yesterday...

One logical guess would be something related to that hinted 30th anniversary collectible home video release. And there is the matter of the images teased by both Funi and Toei. Could it really be happening?

Funimation posted https://twitter.com/FUNimation/statu...26635143520259 5:33pm - 4 stars on the image
                                Toei Animation posted https://twitter.com/ToeiAnimation/st...26748842651649 5:34pm - 3 stars on the image

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X