Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [DVD/BD] Dragon Ball Z franchise

Widgets Magazine
    Level 1.1 trailer / Featurette | via ANN - Dragon Ball Z Ultimate Remaster Comparison Shots
    • Restored frame by frame from original Japanese film
    • Featured Dolby TrueHD audio surround sound
    • SPECIAL FEATURES ON EVERY BLU-RAY RELEASE INCLUDES:
      • Capsule Corp. Archive
        • FUNimation delves deep into its archives to bring fans and collectors the rarest of Dragon Ball Z rarities. Many of these hidden gems have never been seen by the masses, so be on the lookout for more news on upcoming special features!
      • Dragon Ball Z: Journey to the West
        • FUNimation is offering fans an all-access look at Dragon Ball Z through the eyes of the voice actors. These brand new interviews with the original cast members are a required viewing for fans seeking the behind-the-scenes story of DBZ.
      • SPECIAL EDITION FOIL STAMP SIGNED CHARACTER PROFILE CARDS

Level 1.1 (Episodes 1 - 17)
    • Available: 11/8/11
    • SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDE: Dragon Ball Z : Film to Blu-Ray Featurette
    Level 1.2 (Episodes 18 - 34)
    • Available: 12/13/11
    • SPECIAL FEATURES INCLUDES:
      • Capsule Corp. Archive
      • An Engineer and a Pen : Autograph Collection Part One
      • The Many Faces of Christopher R. Sabat

via Otakon | Otakon trailer
    19:07:55 <bay|Ota|FUNi> Dragonball Z in HD on BD
    19:07:57 <bay|Ota|FUNi> coming in 2012
    19:08:02 <bay|Ota|FUNi> the first time ever
    19:08:08 <bay|Ota|FUNi> new film transfer, this is not an old upscale
    19:09:05 <bay|Ota|FUNi> (they want everyone to stand up, they need to get a spirit bomb to run the trailer)
    19:09:36 <bay|Ota|FUNi> (They also have goku head things)
    19:09:49 <bay|Ota|FUNi> trailer
    19:10:13 <bay|Ota|FUNi> (LOL @ this trailer)
    19:10:44 <bay|Ota|FUNi> (going over the process now)
    19:11:09 <bay|Ota|FUNi> (first removing dust... then fix pass... removing anything in the film .. tape marks..)
    19:12:01 <bay|Ota|FUNi> (run steady filter which gets rid of film wave, then another filter which removes the ... then grain and noise and then send it on to tohers)
    via PR...
    Dragon Ball Z Sees November Release on High-Definition Blu-ray Disc™ Format

Flower Mound, TX (July 21, 2011) – FUNimation┬« Entertainment is announcing that it is bringing the first installment of the anime phenomenon Dragon Ball Z to Blu-ray disc for the first time this fall.

Among the most prized in the FUNimation catalog, the studio has used the newest technology available to remaster in high-definition and digitally restore the 291 episode series.

FUNimation worked with Dallas-based AND TRANSFER for the digital film transfer. FUNimation previously worked with the post-production house to remaster the series for the season set releases on DVD. The transfer was performed by nationally-recognized colorist Steve Franko and supervised by FUNimation, which then finished the rest of the restoration process.

Today’s state-of-the-art systems offer tools that allow restoration teams to make a wide range of repairs and focus on more difficult tasks which, in the end, deliver a clean product that faithfully presents the original version and measures up to the high-quality standards of HDTV and Blu-ray.

Once again, the Dragon Ball Z series was digitally transferred from the original Japanese 16mm film frame by frame at 1080p. Developments in restoration software gives mastering artists more to work with when they apply tools to even out film grain and remove fading, film cuts and other visual anomalies. As a result, the viewer will see brighter, clearer colors, less variance in quality between scenes, and a sharper image.

“Working with a very old and fragile source film presented a number of challenges for the restoration process,” said Gen Fukunaga, CEO and president at FUNimation Entertainment. “Our purpose was to restore the series as accurately as possible, to what it must have been like to see it when it was originally mastered, and preserve the charm of the animation. After all, it is of a particular time and place.”

After debuting in 1989, Dragon Ball Z has become an iconic anime series. The franchise has sold more than 25 million DVD and Blu-ray discs in its lifetime, becoming the best-selling anime series of all time.

Dragon Ball Z is the explosive sequel to Dragon Ball. The series follows the adventures of Goku and his son Gohan as they team up with their friends to battle evil forces throughout the universe to protect their beloved planet Earth. The first season covers the Vegeta Saga and chronicles the introduction of one of Dragon Ball Z’s main characters, Vegeta.

This restored edition also features the original U.S. voice actors as well as the original FUNimation soundtrack – all in lossless Dolby┬« TrueHD.

Dragon Ball Z Level 1.1 includes the first 17 episodes on two discs with over 400 minutes of action and among the extras included on this release is a feature that looks at the restoration and remastering processes.

Dragon Ball Z Level 1.1 will be available at major retailers nationwide on November 8, 2011.

Visit the official Dragon Ball Z website at http://www.dragonballz.com/
    Last edited by WTK; 10-18-2011, 08:52 AM.

Re: Dragon Ball Z Series

Great And I am nearly finished collecting the Dragon Boxes.

Then again, it remains to be seen which version will be superior in all aspects.

Still good news. Though it will really depend on pricing on whether I'll rebuy the series again.
    No Blu-Ray, No Buy. Seriously, it's 2016.
    My Backlog

Comment

What the fucking shit? I can think of a dozen better things to put on Blu Ray, and I'm drunk.

Funi could literally make a slideshow of nutsacks and throw them on a BD, and it'd be a more worthwhile purchase than this.

Comment

I have seen some properties milked in my day...

But this. This just... I mean it's Funimation. And it's Dragon Ball. But you're... you're kidding, right...

They managed to sabotage their DBZ releases time and time again on their first 3 attempts (and they angered many fans by cancelling Ultimate Uncut to focus on the butchered "Remastered" sets). On attempt #4 they finally got it right by simply porting over the Dragon Boxes, which still remains Japan's definitive release. Fans know this is the best they're most likely to get for the foreseeable future.

Meanwhile, they're releasing Kai on DVD and Blu-Ray at the same time, counting as release #5.

Now what you are telling me is, that before Dragon Boxes and Kai have even finished their run, they're announcing trump card #6!? THIS IS EPIC RIGHT HERE.

Amazon and Funi just made a ton of money offering the Dragon Box sets last week for 60% off to those that hadn't yet taken the plunge. 5 days after the sale ends and presumably after ridiculous amounts of units sold, Funi announces this.

EPIC.

(Wait, they're using the same studio that was responsible for the remastered season sets? Just dear god.)

Comment

If we post the stuff at the same time, can we not link the ANN one? It's not like at Mania where it'd take 30 minutes to 2 hours for an article to show up.
          Anime is not a right. It is a privilege, a consumer product, art, work for hire, a luxury, a hobby, entertainment.

Find me on Facebook and Follow Me on Twitter to see plenty of silliness in the anime and manga worlds and much, much more.

Comment

Too bad they are not using this
            the studio has used the newest technology available to remaster in high-definition and digitally restore the 291 episode series.
            for other titles...

Comment

Couldn't care less...
              Avatar: Superboy from Young Justice.

My MAL Profile, Tumblr

Comment

They don't need to for most other titles, because they generally get good enough masters from Japan.

Those that don't they aren't given filmstock, so they couldn't do anything with it minus digital upscaling anyways.

Comment

Negligent as I've been on picking-up the Dragon Box releases, this is not a series I ever see myself wanting on BD, even more so when the first volume only contains 17 episodes.

Still, it's DBZ on BD, so I'm sure it'll sell...
                  Junker Woland, a horribly delightful blog.

Comment

The Dragon Boxes are all I need. Also the low episode count for an long series like this is crazy.
                    Back from the Mania dead!
                    "Old School does not start at 2008!" -- David Williams

Comment

Originally posted by Damius View Post
                      the studio has used the newest technology available to remaster in high-definition and digitally restore the 291 episode series.
                      for other titles...
                      I wouldn't worry about that - reading the PR, they're using the same production house that fucked up the original DVD release, bad framing, wrong colors and DNR'd to hell and back. My guess is it's probably even the same masters and they haven't done any new transfers at all.

So umm.. yeah.. I don't think I want those people anywhere near any other titles...

Comment

Originally posted by Skywise View Post
                        Originally posted by Damius View Post
                        for other titles...
                        I wouldn't worry about that - reading the PR, they're using the same production house that fucked up the original DVD release, bad framing, wrong colors and DNR'd to hell and back. My guess is it's probably even the same masters and they haven't done any new transfers at all.

So umm.. yeah.. I don't think I want those people anywhere near any other titles...
                        Ok, I retract what I said! Newest doesn't always equal best...

Comment

I'm... very confused. Did they just perform a "new" transfer of the same crappy prints with the same crappy film lab? Or are they simply taking the same shitty 16:9 HD transfer they made back in 2006, fixing up the film scratches and calling it a day? There's no mention of this actually being transferred anew (it just says "Once again, blah blah...") and conviently side-steps using terms that would be more helpful like 'new telecine' or 'original 4:3 aspect ratio' or anything else that would inspire confidence that these aren't literally the Orange Boxes in HD with a little turd polish on top.

Either way, I'm going to continue buying the Dragon Boxes and call it a day. FUNi has more than enough of my money for this franchise...
                          Last edited by Kakugo; 07-21-2011, 09:03 PM. Reason: Speel chuck.

Comment

Well, I'm still sticking with the Dragon Boxes and probably won't even bother with this.
                            I'm curious to see how this will compare with the Dragon Boxes and Kai, though. I seriously doubt it will look any better than the Japanese remasters.

Still, it seems they are trying to make as much money as they can, seeing how there will be only 17 episodes per release.
                            Anime List | Manga List
                            DVD/BD Collection (DVDAf) | Manga Collection (ANN)

Comment

Well, after all, DBZ has always been their cash cow; it's not surprising that they would try to continue to milk it. I am a bit surprised that they are doing so so close to the Dragon Box release...

My guess is that they are going to use their current authoring standards, which means eliminating Japanese credits & title cards; if so, the Dragon Box release would still remain the definitive release for the authenticity-first collector. I notice too that they don't address the aspect ratio issue, which I would have expected to be the first thing mentioned based on the bruhaha over it with the initial season sets; this would support the hypothesis that they're going wide-screen again -- though I freely admit that's a pretty weakly supported guess.
                              (Besides, it would give them yet another opportunity -- a 'better than Dragon Box' rerelease -- sometime down the road...)

Regardless, the Z Dragon Box DVDs are fine with me; I'll finish getting them, and that'll likely be it for Dragon Ball for me.

--John N.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X