Widgets Magazine

Viz Media licenses Sailor Moon (original anime franchise)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Viz Media licenses Sailor Moon (original anime franchise)

Well since Viz was just upscaling SD materials, I would maybe call it a risk. At least FUNi has actual film prints for DBZ that they can freely scan and present in HD with no upscale. How WELL they do it is up for debate, but Viz was in a bit of a different position with their tape masters. Same deal with Toei's poor HD version of the show. Until the original 16mm film reels are re-scanned, Sailor Moon cannot be presented in native HD. I personally think both presentations are very watchable, but they're not proper restorations, and seem to only be done JUST to try and present the series in HD. It was risky for sure, given the circumstances, to sell an upscale. Viz could've easily just plopped the 2002 masters on DVD, but judging by some of the reception, that may have actually been a better move.

I'm content with Viz's release of the show. At least we can finally buy it again! But I would agree that there have been some missed opportunities to do something truly great. The best thing to come out of the release is the fantastic new dub, which is damn near perfect, and I wish it was getting more exposure and attention.
    Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

Hasn't it already been proven that the R2 DVDs released some ago look a whole lot better than VIZ's BDs and DVDs? So rather than risk, it's about either (or both) poor materials or poor workmanship. Unless Toei told VIZ to release these as quickly and as cheaply as possible, VIZ supposedly had everything and time to do it right the first time. Heck, they even claimed to be videophiles on that ANNcast...
      Last edited by Asrialys; 11-01-2015, 09:26 AM.
      @Asrialys | MyAnimeList | DVD/BD Collection (aka My Backlog...)

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
        http://www.viz.com/node/1006268
        SAILOR MOON Season 2 Set 2 Statement

We discovered an audio-visual issue with our recent release of SAILOR MOON Season 2 Set 2, located in episode 80, on disc #2 of both the Blu-ray/DVD combo and standard DVD editions. The issue does not affect the rest of the set.

We, along with legions of SAILOR MOON fans, were excited to see the latest adventures of the Sailor Guardians. We are deeply sorry for the issue.

We are working on a replacement solution for fans who have already purchased the set, and details will be announced as soon as possible. Updates will be posted here, as well as through social media:

Facebook: facebook.com/OfficialVIZMedia
        Twitter: @VIZMedia and @Sailor_Moon_NA

Thank you for your patience while we work on a solution!

The VIZ Media Team
        SAILOR MOON Season 2 Set 2 Statement & Replacement Program
        Updated: November 6, 2015

Thanks for your patience while we worked on the SAILOR MOON Season 2 Set 2 replacement disc solution.

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment will be sending out a FREE replacement Disc 2 Blu-ray and/or DVDs to those who have already purchased the Blu-ray Combo Pack or the Standard DVD edition. Fans should call toll free *800-553-*6937 to provide their name, address and telephone number so that a replacement disc can be mailed.

The faulty Blu-ray (Part # 2000109001) will be replaced with a disc with Part # 2000117933.

The faulty DVD (Part # 2000108875) will be replaced with a disc with Part # 2000117931.

If you are a retailer, please contact your sales representative or the Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Returns Department directly at [email protected] for details on replacements.

Again, we are deeply sorry for the issue. Thank you for your continued support, and we look forward to catching up on the adventures of our favorite Guardian of Love & Justice!

The VIZ Media Team

Comment

^ Are there "business hours" associated with the toll free-number or does it work 24/7? (I would need an evening or weekend cause of my dang work schedule and commute. )

Comment

WB Home Entertainment's business hours are Monday thru Friday...

7am to 6pm PST
            8am to 7pm MST
            9am to 8pm CST
            10am to 9pm EST

So, best to wait until Monday.

Comment

^ Thanks!

...Drat. That means I have to call at work because that's pretty much how my work schedule goes. *Sigh*

Comment

S2 P1 screenshots via Blu-rayDefinition.com

Comment

What is this "call" action they mention? [snark]

Comment

At least Viz and WB are doing something here, but calling is such a hassle seeing that it could only be done during business hours. Certainly more inconvenient than the way Sentai does things.
                    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
                    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
                    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
                    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                      At least Viz and WB are doing something here, but calling is such a hassle seeing that it could only be done during business hours. Certainly more inconvenient than the way Sentai does things.
                      To be honest, I wish the recall would just be handled from wherever you bought it from. In my case Right Stuf already has all my information. But that's not how Viz does things.

Comment

I'm so happy I decided to stop supporting this release after the first set, given I'm an international buyer this replacement scheme I presume would have screwed me over entirely. Which would have been yet another 'F U' from Viz in regards to this frankly crap release which across the board has been a total mess.

The bit that worries me now as a supporter of other Viz releases in the future this way of replacing discs could screw me over yet.
                        Last edited by BlaizeV; 11-09-2015, 06:17 PM.
                        Anime MAL/AP -- Collection Anime/Manga/Figures & General Merch -- YouTube Channel - Anime Pickups, Unboxings etc

Comment

Ok, just called for the replacement. It will arrive in about 2 weeks.

On a separate note, not sure if I was dialing it wrong or what, but my first 5 attempts, I kept getting some company other than WB (couldn't understand the recording, other than it wanted an extension). For what it's worth, I hate phones. I hope I don't have to do this again.
                          What I've Been Watching ~ DVD Collection

Comment

I should call soon, myself. Was hoping that Rightstuf would help do it, as they have shipped out replacements automatically before.

Comment

Originally posted by tigeress02 View Post

On a separate note, not sure if I was dialing it wrong or what, but my first 5 attempts, I kept getting some company other than WB (couldn't understand the recording, other than it wanted an extension). For what it's worth, I hate phones. I hope I don't have to do this again.
                              Out of curiosity, when you actually got through, about how long did it take to get a live person? I'm betting only 1 or 2 people are taking calls, but if I can get through in a reasonable amount of time, that would be nice so that I'm not away from my desk for too long.

Comment

Originally posted by Art-chan View Post
                                Originally posted by tigeress02 View Post

Out of curiosity, when you actually got through, about how long did it take to get a live person? I'm betting only 1 or 2 people are taking calls, but if I can get through in a reasonable amount of time, that would be nice so that I'm not away from my desk for too long.
                                I think I was on hold for less than a minute and the whole call was probably under 5. When you call, you'll want option 3 (replacements). The lady I spoke with was quite nice. She asked what the call was for, took my information and then confirmed everything at the end. Quite simple.
                                What I've Been Watching ~ DVD Collection

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X