Widgets Magazine

Viz Media licenses Sailor Moon (original anime franchise)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [DVD/BD] Viz Media licenses Sailor Moon (original anime franchise)

Widgets Magazine
    via PR...
    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

VIZ MEDIA ACQUIRES NORTH AMERICAN RIGHTS FOR SAILOR MOON ANIME FRANCHISE

North America’s Leading Anime Distributor Gains Digital, Streaming And Home Media Rights For Legendary Anime

Free Streaming Episodes Debut Today Exclusively
    On Neon Alley And Hulu!

San Francisco, CA, May 19, 2014 VIZ Media, LLC (VIZ Media), the largest distributor and licensor of manga and anime in North America, is proud to announce the acquisition of the SAILOR MOON anime franchise. VIZ Media’s North American rights cover digital streaming, EST (Electronic Sell Through) and all home media products in the U.S. and Canada. Tokyo-based Toei Animation Co., Ltd. is the producer and global licensor for the SAILOR MOON anime property.

As part of the new agreement, VIZ Media has licensed all 200 episodes of the original SAILOR MOON anime series (rated ‘TV-PG’), including the never before licensed for North America fifth and final climatic season, “Sailor Stars.” The three feature films and additional specials for the long-running show are also part of the acquisition. SAILOR MOON will be presented digitally for the first time, with subtitled EST sets available starting Summer 2014 and dubbed editions late 2014, and DVD and deluxe limited edition Blu-ray/DVD combo packs are planned for Fall 2014. The uncut and uncensored VIZ Media release of SAILOR MOON, featuring its original uncropped 4:3 aspect ratio, will also feature all original Japanese names, story elements and relationships, as well as an all-new, uncut English dub with a new voice cast.

VIZ Media will premiere SAILOR MOON Episodes 1-4 (subbed) today on its free NeonAlley.com anime streaming destination and also via the subscription-based Hulu Plus in High Definition. Two new SAILOR MOON episodes will premiere every Monday. Visit www.NeonAlley.com and Hulu.com/sailormoon for more information; the trailer may also be viewed at http://www.hulu.com/watch/635233 and http://youtu.be/RWPyM9afQ-w.

VIZ Media has also acquired the new SAILOR MOON CRYSTAL, and more details are forthcoming.

“We’re pleased to partner with VIZ Media to bring the beloved SAILOR MOON anime series back to North America,” says Masayuki Endo, General Manager, Toei Animation, Inc. “This fresh uncut and uncensored release of SAILOR MOON featuring the most accurate adaptation available will be just as creator Naoko Takeuchi intended. We look forward to fans current and new discovering and falling in love with this classic series all over again!”

“SAILOR MOON is one of the extremely rare breed of anime series truly deserving of the title of ‘Legendary’,” says Charlene Ingram, VIZ Media Senior Manager, Animation Marketing. “Since its initial debut in the mid-1990’s, SAILOR MOON has been unavailable to English-speaking fans for nearly a decade. It has also never seen a complete and proper unedited release in North America...until now!”

“SAILOR MOON was groundbreaking in the way its storyline and main characters resonated with both a male and female audience, and these aspects continue to attract a new generation of fans eager to see this iconic series,” says Brian Ige, VIZ Media Vice President of Animation. “We’re thrilled to be able to release this empowering action title uncut and in its entirety. We invite fans to catch the official premieres on Neon Alley and to enjoy the series on DVD and Blu-ray later this year!”

VIZ Media will be celebrating SAILOR MOON at the 2014 Anime Expo, taking place July 3rd–6th at the Los Angeles Convention Center in Los Angeles, CA. Now celebrating its 23nd consecutive year, Anime Expo is sponsored by the SPJA and is the nation’s largest anime convention. VIZ Media will host a variety of special activities and panels throughout “Sailor Moon Day,” on Saturday July 5th. More details forthcoming.

The smash hit SAILOR MOON anime series is inspired by the bestselling manga (graphic novel) series created by Naoko Takeuchi (published in North America by Kodansha). In the series, Usagi Tsukino is a clumsy but kindhearted teenage girl who transforms into the powerful guardian of love and justice, Sailor Moon. Meeting allies along the way who share similar fates, Usagi and her team of planetary Sailor Guardians fight to protect the universe from forces of evil and total annihilation!

Naoko Takeuchi was born on March 14. She is a Pisces and A blood type. In 1986 Takeuchi made her debut with the manga LOVE CALL. Her hits include Sailor Moon, Codename: Sailor V, and The Cherry Project.

For more information on SAILOR MOON, or other award-winning anime titles from VIZ Media, please visit www.VIZ.com.

via Anime Central

http://www.viz.com/sailormoon | http://www.hulu.com/sailor-moon

EDIT: http://4NN.cx/154072
    Viz Licenses Original Sailor Moon Anime Franchise
    posted on 2014-05-16 19:05 EDT

All 200 TV episodes, 3 films, & specials unedited with subtitles & new dub

North American anime distributor Viz Media announced after its Anime Central panel on Friday that it licensed the original Sailor Moon magical girl anime franchise. The streaming, digital, and home video licenses include all 200 episodes from the five television series, the three feature films, and the assorted tie-in specials. This will include the first North American release of the final television series, Sailor Moon Sailor Stars.

Viz is offering the franchise without edits in its original uncropped 4:3 aspect ratio, with the original Japanese names, story elements, and relationships. It is also producing an uncut English dub with a new voice cast.

Viz aims to release the franchise digitally with English subtitles starting this summer, followed by the English dub starting in late 2014. It also plans DVD and Blu-ray/DVD combo releases in half-season sets starting this fall.

The first four television anime episodes will stream with English subtitles on Viz Media's NeonAlley.com service and the Hulu Plus service on Monday. Two more episodes will then debut every Monday ("Moon-day," as Viz's representatives deemed it).
    EDIT 2: Sailor Moon Official Announcement Trailer
    Published on May 16, 2014

http://www.viz.com/sailormoon - Starts Monday 5/19/14 on Neonalley.com and Hulu!

Sailor Moon is finally back!
    EDIT 3: http://www.rightstuf.com/n/FT0000006792
    Sailor Moon is finally coming back to America! And on uncut Blu-Ray!
    Posted on: Friday, May 16, 2014

Remember when we told you we didn't have a release date yet? Well, we're getting closer!

Sailor Moon fans that attended the Viz Media panel at Anime Central tonight got the surprise of a lifetime! Viz Media revealed it has obtained the licensing rights to the original Sailor Moon anime series, including the never before licensed final season, “Sailor Stars”, as well as all three Sailor Moon movies.

Sailor Moon will begin streaming in subtitled form on NeonAlley and Hulu Plus on May 19, 2014. Viz Media has commissioned an all new uncut and complete dub, featuring the program's original uncropped 4:3 aspect ratio, as well as including the original Japanese names, story elements, and relationships. The video has been remastered in high definition with quality exceeding anything available before -- here or even in Japan. The first limited edition Bluray/DVD combo packs and standard edition DVD sets will begin release this fall.

Sign up below today to get notified the instant this item is available for preorder!
    EDIT 4: Exclusive Interview: Viz Media's Charlene Ingram and Josh Lopez on Sailor Moon (via ANN)

2003 North American DVD Release (http://cdn03.animenewsnetwork.com/im...w/74639/01.png)
    2009 Japanese DVD Release (http://cdn02.animenewsnetwork.com/im...w/74639/02.png)
    2014 VIZ Blu-ray Release (http://cdn03.animenewsnetwork.com/im...w/74639/03.png)
    Last edited by WTK; 05-19-2014, 11:55 PM.

Viz Media licenses Sailor Moon

From ACen
    "All's the world has anger issues" - Alphanega

My Anime Planet List

Comment

Re: Viz Media licenses Sailor Moon

Wow and on Bluray. All 200 episodes and a new, fully uncut English Dub for those fans. Movies and Specials are included.

Comment

KA CHUNG!!!

Bring on them locked-sub Sailor Moon BDs!!!

Comment

Re: Viz Media licenses Sailor Moon (original anime franchise)

Well, they weren't kidding. This is definitely huge news. I'm not as big of a fan of Sailor Moon as I used to be, but new uncut dub means it's likely I will want to get this.

Comment

Just watched the live stream. I can't believe it!
            "The woman I love burns with jealousy, leaps to conclusions, cries, and turns to ice, but when she laughs, the world is mine." - Yusaku Godai from Maison Ikkoku

Comment

Sailor Moon Official Announcement Trailer
              Published on May 16, 2014

http://www.viz.com/sailormoon - Starts Monday 5/19/14 on Neonalley.com and Hulu!

Sailor Moon is finally back!

Comment

Originally posted by llj View Post
                Bring on them locked-sub Sailor Moon BDs!!!
                Maybe Viz'll get their English subtitles onto a Japanese Blu-ray release (as with what happened with Tiger & Bunny), and I won't have to contemplate buying their own release.

Comment

Hell yeah! Having a hard time typing because I'm shaking so much.
                  What I've Been Watching ~ DVD Collection

Comment

http://www.rightstuf.com/n/FT0000006792
                    Sailor Moon is finally coming back to America! And on uncut Blu-Ray!
                    Posted on: Friday, May 16, 2014

Remember when we told you we didn't have a release date yet? Well, we're getting closer!

Sailor Moon fans that attended the Viz Media panel at Anime Central tonight got the surprise of a lifetime! Viz Media revealed it has obtained the licensing rights to the original Sailor Moon anime series, including the never before licensed final season, “Sailor Stars”, as well as all three Sailor Moon movies.

Sailor Moon will begin streaming in subtitled form on NeonAlley and Hulu Plus on May 19, 2014. Viz Media has commissioned an all new uncut and complete dub, featuring the program's original uncropped 4:3 aspect ratio, as well as including the original Japanese names, story elements, and relationships. The video has been remastered in high definition with quality exceeding anything available before -- here or even in Japan. The first limited edition Bluray/DVD combo packs and standard edition DVD sets will begin release this fall.

Sign up below today to get notified the instant this item is available for preorder!

Comment

First Cardcaptor Sakura from Nisa and now Sailor Moon from Viz. All I can say is Wow!

Comment

Holy effing shit! Is this for real?

EDIT: Alright, now that I've calmed down, all I have to say is: wow! I did NOT expect this! Is is too good too be true! They don't just have the original anime (all 200 eps), and not just the movies, but the SPECIALS too? On Blu-ray? Not even JAPAN has the show on Blu-ray!

Glad I canceled my pre-order on those Argentinan Sailor Stars DVDs. I was getting desperate.

I wonder who they're gonna get to dub it.

I'm really exited about this. I'm not kidding, waiting for this announcement has pretty much been THE big reason I've kept up with anime fandom for the past five years.
                        Last edited by PurpleWarrior13; 05-16-2014, 06:33 PM.
                        Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

Exclusive Interview: Viz Media's Charlene Ingram and Josh Lopez on Sailor Moon (via ANN)

2003 North American DVD Release (http://cdn03.animenewsnetwork.com/im...w/74639/01.png)
                          2009 Japanese DVD Release (http://cdn02.animenewsnetwork.com/im...w/74639/02.png)
                          2014 VIZ Blu-ray Release (http://cdn03.animenewsnetwork.com/im...w/74639/03.png)
                          Last edited by WTK; 05-16-2014, 06:33 PM.

Comment

So movies are confirmed, too. Nice. 200 episodes means Sailor Stars and the 67th episode will be released in the US for the first time. I wonder if the SuperS specials and Ami-chan no Hatsukoi will also come over through Viz?

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
                              I wonder if the SuperS specials and Ami-chan no Hatsukoi will also come over through Viz?
                              The PR says "The streaming, digital, and home video licenses include all 200 episodes from the five television series, the three feature films, and the assorted tie-in specials", so I would think so; what other specials could they be referring to?

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X