X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [TV] Doraemon Coming to Disney XD This Summer

Widgets Magazine
    http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Cons...n_cid=NARAN012

TOKYO -- The popular Japanese animation series Doraemon will debut across the U.S. this summer on a Disney channel.

Next stop, USA.
    The show featuring a robotic cat from the future and its life with the schoolchild Nobita has been broadcast in Japan for more than 40 years. It has aired in 35 markets including in Southeast Asia and Europe, but not the U.S.

TV Asahi, which owns the sales license for the U.S., has reached an agreement with Disney to broadcast a version dubbed into English on the Disney XD channel, which covers 78 million households across the country.

Positioned as a key program targeting younger elementary-school students, it will be shown five times a week.

The three Japanese companies holding the copyrights -- TV Asahi, subsidiary Shin-Ei Animation, and the manga production company established by one of the original Doraemon authors -- will entrust the production of the English version to local studios.

The story and the names of characters and gadgets will be modified to suit the American cultural background. Unlike pirated copies, this English version will meet strict U.S. standards on depiction of violence, discrimination and sexual images, opening the possibility of bringing it to other English-speaking markets as well.

(Nikkei)
    Wonder if Viz actually managed to pick this up.

Re: Doraemon Coming to Disney XD This Summer

Wow...
    Sadly I don't live in one of the 78 million households...
    I wonder how generic the english names will be...
    Last edited by lolitsronald; 05-08-2014, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Well, this is strange. I have DXD in my living room so I may check it out.

Comment

It's probably Viz Media who'll be the handling of it, given that they will have it at their Licensing Expo booth. This... actually explains why they're showing it off this year, too.

Still, I'm worried about the localization...

Comment

This is rather interesting to see. Curious to see how this experiment will go (and if they will get additional episodes).

Comment

Wow, didn't see that coming. I'm assuming this is the 2005 series rather than the earliest episodes from the 70s?

Comment

Interesting for sure. I liked what I've seen of Doraemon. I don't know that I would be tuning into Disney XD to watch it in English though. If Viz is the one who licensed it, which looks likely with what has been presented, I wonder if they have any other plans for it.
              Avatar: Chihaya Ayase from Chihayafuru
              Maintainer of the Locked Subtitle Tracking Thread

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
                This is rather interesting to see. Curious to see how this experiment will go (and if they will get additional episodes).
                http://4NN.cx/153361

26 episodes so far. So it's pretty much a trial run for now.

Comment

This is the last show I expected to be localized, but why not? When are we gonna get Sazae-san?
                  Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

I'd say that this was a random event, but then I remembered that Doraemon is also the official mascot of the 2020 Summer Olympics Games in Tokyo. Maybe it's an early start to establish the character?

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleWarrior13 View Post
                      This is the last show I expected to be localized, but why not? When are we gonna get Sazae-san?
                      You forgot Chibi Maruko-chan!

Comment

That sure was unexpected. I didn't think that this show would be localized here. Anyway, I don't have Disney XD, so I don't have the means to watch this.
                        MyAnimeList | Avatar: The Ohio State University Buckeyes
                        Watching: Tylor, Astra Lost in Space, School-Live!, Vanguard
                        Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
                        The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

"The story and the names of characters and gadgets will be modified to suit the American cultural background."

Sounds like it's just a source of cheap animation. It might be OK, but I don't think it will be Doraemon any more.

Comment

Originally posted by TAS View Post
                            "The story and the names of characters and gadgets will be modified to suit the American cultural background."

Sounds like it's just a source of cheap animation. It might be OK, but I don't think it will be Doraemon any more.
                            Doraemon wouldn't be cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by TAS View Post

Ah, that's a shame. I'm of the opinion such practices are passe and no longer lead to successes. Adaptations in the vein of Naruto and Bleach have better chances of becoming hits these days. Obviously gadgets like the doko demo doa have to be re-named but I see no reason to change the character names and things of that nature.
                              "Pledge $1000 or more: I will yell your name really loud while I chase a duck."
                              -My Collection
                              --[plug] I review and blog about anime at Akemi's Anime World [/plug]

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X