X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Streaming] 1 & Only Netflix Streaming Thread

Widgets Magazine
    Apparently Netflix has picked up exclusive streaming rights for this. Netflix UK and Ireland have been confirmed to be streaming it though an article here says it'll be streamed across all Netflix so that probably includes the US. Also seems they'll be producing a dub for it as well.

It's certainly an...interesting move from Netflix though I wonder how complicated that would make the physical media rights to the show(provided that happens later down the line). I only had a mild interest in this earlier but now I'm curious to see what comes of it.

EDIT: Found a press release confirming this is for the US too: https://signup.netflix.com/MediaCenter/Press

Only on Netflix: “Knights of Sidonia,” Based on the Popular Manga Series
    Hotly-anticipated Mecha Sci-fi Series to be Available to Watch Instantly in All Netflix Territories Immediately Following the Japanese TV Release
    Dec 12, 2013

Beverly Hills, Calif., December 12, 2013—Netflix, Inc. (NASDAQ:NFLX) announced today it will make available the complete first 12 episode season of Polygon Pictures’ hotly anticipated anime series “Knights of Sidonia” in all Netflix territories in Summer of 2014.

Based on the best-selling manga series by Tsutomu Nihei, published in Japan by Kodansha and in English by Vertical, “Knights of Sidonia” follows the struggle of humans to survive against the monstrous alien “Gauna” using mecha weapons called ”Garde” (Guardian Robots).

The story focuses on the ship Sidonia and young Garde pilot Nagate Tanikaze as he uses his amazing combat skills to protect what remains of human civilization.

“Netflix has a huge base of anime fans and we are thrilled to be bringing exclusively for the first time them a first-run anime series, especially one as well-plotted, humorous and beautifully animated as Knights of Sidonia,” said Erik Barmack, VP, Independent Content at Netflix.

“We are ecstatic at the opportunity to run 'Knights of Sidonia' firstly and exclusively on Netflix. This is an epochal deal, as we are able to deliver our beloved anime property to a wider audience in direct and timely fashion, than ever before,” said Shuzo John Shiota, CEO of Polygon.

“Knights of Sidonia” is produced by Tokyo-based Polygon Pictures, winner of multiple Daytime Emmy Awards for Hasbro’s television series “Transformers Prime” and the animators behind “Tron: Uprising” and several episodes of “Star Wars: The Clone Wars.” The series is directed by Kobun Shizuno, who worked on “GI Joe,” the animated series and co-directed by Hiroyuki Seshita, a veteran of the “Final Fantasy” video game series.

“Knights of Sidonia” will be available on Netflix in Japanese with the choice of subtitles or dubbed local language dialogue.
    Last edited by Alphanega; 12-12-2013, 09:17 AM.
    "All's the world has anger issues" - Alphanega

My Anime Planet List

Re: Knights of Sidonia

Well looks like anyone who claims Netflix hates anime these days are sorely mistaken.

In any case this bumps the show up from a skip to a novelty view. Hope Netflix plans to do this more in the future.

Comment

I can't say this is terribly great since this is a spring show, so it looks like they're waiting til it's all aired before putting it up. I would have preferred a simulcast.

Comment

Huh, this is rather odd. I wonder what this does for the chances of a physical release later on?

Comment

Originally posted by Glorian View Post
          Huh, this is rather odd. I wonder what this does for the chances of a physical release later on?
          50:50 chance at this point I'd say. House of Cards is available on BD/DVD, but Hemlock Grove is not. I don't count Arrested Development and Orange is the New Black because they have production partners that pretty much guarantee a home video release down the road (Fox and Lionsgate respectively).

Comment

I don't really see it as being any different to CR's (who do not release DVDs) licenses being licensed to home video by the usual R1 companies. Netflix oughtn't have anything to do with it, unless they've bought the home video rights for some reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Glorian View Post
              King Records Company Limited / Starchild Records has been actively promoting this series (earlier than their usual pace). The English series site was launched very early. There are the English subbed trailers. The series was one of the promoted series at AFA in Singapore earlier this year.

With the way this series is handled thus far, I would think R1 license candidates are either Sentai Filmworks or maybe even Viz Media. FUNimation may be a longshot since they haven't simulcasted anything from them since Corpse Princess (or C³ if you count that with NicoNico). I fully expect this to be licensed and simulcasted in U.S.

Comment

I have some interest in this show, but I dropped Netfilx a long time ago and I don't really want to go back. I guess I'll be waiting to see if a simulcast and/or physical release happens.
                What I've Been Watching ~ DVD Collection

Comment

https://twitter.com/netflix/statuses/469247523459039232
                  Gauna beware! Mecha sci-fi #anime show Knights of Sidonia to hit Netflix July 4th! pic.twitter.com/vIBchBoKpi

Comment

So, all at once, just like their own titles, Orange is the New Black etc. At least there's a holiday to enjoy it in!

Comment

Netflix Acquires Space Captain Harlock (Movie)

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/05/...ded-to-netflix

IGN can reveal that Shinju Aramaki’s latest CGI film, Harlock: Space Pirate, is exclusively coming to Netflix in all territories beginning August 1st.

Avatar director James Cameron described the acclaimed anime movie as “mythic, epic and visually unprecedented." Harlock: Space Pirate is a science-fiction action adventure film based on the original character from the Space Pirate Captain Harlock manga series created by Leiji Matsumo. The film’s stunning visuals and technological achievement in CGI & Motion Capture have been applauded by audiences and the film industry alike. It was nominated for the Japan Academy Prize for Animation of the Year at the 37th Japan Academy Prize.

The Captain Harlock character dates back to the late 70s, and has been depicted in numerous TV shows and movies since.
                      https://twitter.com/netflix/statuses/469856773675835393
                      Leiji Matsumoto's legendary hero will set sail Aug. 1 in Harlock: Space Pirate only on Netflix
                      Last edited by Rootsofjustice; 05-23-2014, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Re: Netflix Acquires Space Captain Harlock (Movie)

Holy crap! I wish I had Netflix, 'cause I really want to watch this! Hope this means a physical release in the future!
                        I'M THE GREATEST ONE-SHOT VILLAIN THAT NEVER LIVED!!!
                        Avatar: Zanald Beihart from "Mobile Suit Gundam AGE"

Comment

Originally posted by Andre Andrews View Post
                          Holy crap! I wish I had Netflix, 'cause I really want to watch this! Hope this means a physical release in the future!
                          Just try a free trial in Aug.
                          AOTY 2015: Food Wars!, AssClass, Seraph of the End, Fafner Exodus, UtaPri3, Herobank, MajinBone, Durarara!!x2, Buddyfight, Vanguard G, Yugioh Arc-V MAL|

Comment

Shinju Aramaki’s latest CGI film, Harlock: Space Pirate, is exclusively coming to Netflix in all territories beginning August 1st.
                            I really hope that this means exclusive streaming and that the film will come to BD later this year. If a release date doesn't happen for a Home Video release by the end of the year I'll get the Madman version if a UK version isn't announced in the meantime.
                            Anime MAL/AP -- Collection Anime/Manga/Figures & General Merch -- YouTube Channel - Anime Pickups, Unboxings etc

Comment

Trailer: http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70301578?trkid=202653

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X