• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sentai Filmworks licenses Nadia - The Secret of Blue Water

Originally posted by _PS_ View Post
    Originally posted by Legion View Post
    I can't wait to watch these island episodes. I just can't believe they can be THAT bad.
    I thought the same thing back when I first watched Nadia, but holy snappin' crap, they really are as bad as you're being lead to believe. Let's just say that once you see this image you know the show is in serious trouble. (non-spoiler)
    That is... impressive.

I still can't wait.
    I thought they were fine. I think the reaction has always been a little over the top. It'll depend on how invested you are in the series coming into those episodes. I viewed it as a younger audience adventure series with absurd, cartoon-y elements to begin with. (The Antarctic scenes are to me as silly as the island nonsense.) The shift is noticeable, but it's not as extreme as some like to make it, just because of the shock that GAINAX of all studios was somehow capable of disappointing its audience. You know, because they've never done that.
    Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
    TFP Forum Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Legion View Post
      I can't wait to watch these island episodes. I just can't believe they can be THAT bad.
      I thought the same thing back when I first watched Nadia, but holy snappin' crap, they really are as bad as you're being lead to believe. Let's just say that once you see this image you know the show is in serious trouble. (non-spoiler)
      That is... impressive.

I still can't wait.
      Legion isn't joking. The island episodes really ARE that bad. Trust us, they will make you to DETEST the show. Even long before the scene where Jean does his Wile E. Coyote stunt, there were other instances where I could tell everything was going WAYY off-rails. There's a scene in Episode 23 where Jean swallows water and swells up like a balloon. None of the previous 22 episodes have any such gags. For me, though, it wasn't just the awful animation and out-of-place Looney Tunes gaggery that killed these episodes; it was the mishandling of the characters' personalities AND the stupid storylines that all but derail both the plot AND development. I just couldn't stand it. Even if you do dare to sit through the island episodes (we STILL don't recommend it!) definitely skip EPISODES 26, and 32-34. All four of those episodes are absolutely HIDEOUS and really destroy a great show. You've been warned. Here is my guide on how to sit through those episodes. You can take it or leave it, but it is the ONLY way for me. http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=402151

And sorry but I just cannot agree with bctaris' assessment of these episodes. They absolutely ruined the show for me. They have no business being in the story. They don't fit into anything that came before them. Anno said that he would've chopped them out of the story altogether. They really ARE a serious stain on the show. There is a very good reason that even Gainax chooses to distance themselves from them. It really is too bad, because the first 22 episodes and final five are, in and of themselves, a great work. The episodes inbetween turn all that into a hideous mockery.

Also,

Spoiler ->the Antarctic scenes were NOT silly to me at all. To me contributed something valuable to the plot. They were imaginative and full of adventure and wonder. The scenes with the frozen dinosaurs, the whale, the penguins, the aurora, the picture of death and desolation, the squid fight... all of those were very much in spirit with the adventure. They added to the momentum of the story AND were important to the story. The island episodes have absolutely none of that. The only exception is episode 31 and parts of 30. But there's no reason for episodes 23-29 to exist. In their defense, though, there ARE some flashback sequences involving Nadia in the circus and a scene where Gargoyle discusses his latest plans. The problem is that they are sandwiched inbetween stupid, nonsensical, insulting stories that offer zero substance and adventure. Episodes 32-34 have no such redeeming qualities -- all three of those episodes are just plain awful. Don't. Watch. I repeat. Don't. Watch. Them. You've been warned.

Last edited by JTurner; 02-25-2014, 04:20 PM.

Comment

JT: spoiler warnings, man.
        TFP Forum Rules

Comment

Honestly, as bad as most of the episodes are, I think I only ever outright skipped one episode, and it's the one where everyone is singing...

Comment

Jeez, they can't be THAT bad, especially considering how much of a masterpiece the rest of the series is supposed to be. I'd prefer to watch an entire series anyway from beginning to end. Every anime has it's share of weak episodes or even weak story arcs. Heck, some of them are even BAD, but to me, watching an entire show is a more comfortable experience. If episodes are really that bad, you can just laugh at them. But really, I'm not that picky. I've sat through my share of bad episodes in both Japanese and Western Animation. Sailor Moon had it's share of truly awful episodes with terrible writing/animation (my god, those solo-Usagi episodes...), but the show is still one of my favorites. Same with Slayers and Tenchi Muyo. I consider both to be masterpieces, even if only chunks of the respective franchise are even any good. DBZ had the boring filler in the Saiyan and Garlic Jr. sagas, but the series is still my favorite (and most of the other filler is alright IMO...).

I will get around to watching Nadia, and I will watch all of it, every episode from 1 to 39 and then the movie. Hopefully the "good" parts of the series are good enough for me to enjoy it, and who knows? Maybe the filler episodes won't be that bad. I was told that Tenchi in Tokyo would be awful for very similar reasons (silly animation, exaggerated plots), and while it's a weak entry in the Tenchi franchise, I found some enjoyment in it. You never know what you will end up liking.
            Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

The worst thing a show can be is to be boring. If the island episodes are snoozeworthy, then I can see why people say they are bad. If they're bad as in hilariously out of place, then at least it's an interesting batch of curiosities.

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                Sorry. Is there anyway to cover this up, like a, well, I dunno, a spoiler tag warning or so? I don't want to be guilty of giving away the story.

Comment

Originally posted by JTurner View Post
                  Sorry. Is there anyway to cover this up, like a, well, I dunno, a spoiler tag warning or so? I don't want to be guilty of giving away the story.
                  On the "go advanced" tab when making a reply, you'll see a "sp" button, for spoiler tags. It'll show as

Spoiler ->this.

Really, I was just concerned about your third paragraph...
                  TFP Forum Rules

Comment

There certainly is-Use sp]Insert text here[/sp] for spoiler tags.
                    For example:

Spoiler ->Miyuki & Natsumi are Bokuto's "Super Duo"!

EDIT: Or just do what bctaris suggested (Which is easier than the longhand that I used).
                    Avatar: Sgt. Kanuka Clancy, NYPD (Patlabor-The Mobile Police)
                    Blu-ray.com / MAL /Games / Figures
                    Moderator Patrol Route: Movie & TV Discussions, Questioning Fandom

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmie M View Post
                      There certainly is-Use sp]Insert text here[/sp] for spoiler tags.
                      For example:

Spoiler ->Miyuki & Natsumi are Bokuto's "Super Duo"!

EDIT: Or just do what bctaris suggested (Which is easier than the longhand that I used).
                      OK. I'll take care of that right away. Thanks!

PurpleWarrior13: fillers don't always HAVE to be bad. The Slayers ones in seasons 1 and 2 DID stop the plot, but they never felt out-of-character OR nonsensical. It worked well because the show was written as a fantasy slapstick comedy to begin with. The only time the filler really got forgettable was in Season 3. The filler eps in that weren't horrible per say, but they were just lame, as if the writers were running out of ideas. The problem with the island arc in Nadia as I mentioned, is that it turns a sci-fi action adventure with minor bits of comedy but mostly wonder, heart, and excitement into a dull, bizarrely written, poorly animated Saturday morning cartoon throwing in physics better suited to Looney Tunes that are nowhere else to be found in the show. But it was the unpleasant derailing of the title character that I really disliked those episodes so much.

Spoiler ->Nadia is layed out as a flawed character, yes. But the canonical episodes -- 1-22 -- present her as a moody, confused, troubled girl who is often a loner, socially inept girl with hints of goodness. The island episodes throw all that away and turn her into an insufferable, unlikeable, and alienating b**** that you just wanna strangle. That really killed the show for me. She doesn't even act like herself in those episodes. Even when the show comes back in episode 35, it literally disregards EVERYTHING she does in the filler arc, which shows that it doesn't fit with her character.

Last edited by JTurner; 02-25-2014, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by llj View Post
                        The worst thing a show can be is to be boring. If the island episodes are snoozeworthy, then I can see why people say they are bad. If they're bad as in hilariously out of place, then at least it's an interesting batch of curiosities.
                        Indeed! I'm not going to write anything off or skip any episodes just yet. I have displayed truly dreadful taste in the past so you really never know!

Comment

Indeed! I'm not going to write anything off or skip any episodes just yet. I have displayed truly dreadful taste in the past so you really never know!
                          If you do end up hating them, though, don't say I didn't warn you.

Comment

Based on some of the commentary here, I'm holding my expectations really, really, low and expecting to laugh hysterically at times. This should be a fun watch for sure.
                            My Anime List - My Collection
                            Avatar: Kirino Kousaka & Ruri "Kuro Neko" Gokou from the anime Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai (OreImo).
                            Adroc Thurston - "Don't beg for things. Do it yourself, or else you won't get anything."
                            Anemone - "So many faces looking like they're thinking even though they're not. So disgusting."

Comment

^Yeah, if I find those episodes as terrible as most people say, I'll probably be laughing my butt off the entire time.
                              "The woman I love burns with jealousy, leaps to conclusions, cries, and turns to ice, but when she laughs, the world is mine." - Yusaku Godai from Maison Ikkoku

Comment

The worst thing about the filler episodes is that they killed what could have been a great classic anime series. Of all the filler in all the anime series that I've seen going back over two decades; it is without a doubt the worst filler I've ever seen. Completely crippled the momentum of the series which never really recovered. It really needed a Carl Macek to go in and edit it HARD!

The one other thing that also nearly ruined the series for me were the Neo-Atlantean villains. Because of their masks and their pointy red hats; they looked and acted like loony rejects from a Klu Klux Klan convention.

So a real pity overall as the beginning of the series was great and so was the ending. Too bad it got derailed in the last third.

J. A.
                                Currently Watching: Fairy Tail Coll. 4, Freezing, Digimon Frontier, Black Lagoon
                                Just Finished: Battle Girls, Sailor Moon R-2, Sabagebu, Infinite Stratos 2
                                Current Backlog: 38 Series: 22 Bricks/Lite boxes, 16 BD's/Combos
                                Current Collection: 362 Series, plus: 70+ movies, 110+ OVA's, 30+ Singles

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X