Widgets Magazine

Crunchyroll to Simulcast One Piece Anime!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Streaming] Crunchyroll to Simulcast One Piece Anime!

Widgets Magazine
    More great news from Crunchyroll today. CR has picked up simulcast streaming rights for One Piece.

CR site news link: http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-new...ne-piece-anime

Crunchyroll has acquired Toei Animation’s long-running anime series One Piece as part of its fall simulcasts, and is set to broadcast every Saturday starting on November 2, at 7:00pm Pacific Daylight Time with episode 619 for both premium and free users. Previous episodes will be available on Crunchyroll at a later date.
    One Piece will be available to Crunchyroll’s audience in the following territories: USA, Canada, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, and Latin America.
    My Anime List - My Collection
    Avatar: Kirino Kousaka & Ruri "Kuro Neko" Gokou from the anime Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai (OreImo).
    Adroc Thurston - "Don't beg for things. Do it yourself, or else you won't get anything."
    Anemone - "So many faces looking like they're thinking even though they're not. So disgusting."

Re: Crunchyroll to Simulcast One Piece Anime!

That was quite a surprise there considering that I thought that Funimation was handling the simulcast. Of course, I haven't been watching this show since it's so long, but at the very least, it is great to see that One Piece fans get their fill.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nene Yoshiro, Toilet-bound Hanako-kun
    Watching: Luck & Logic, Soul Link, Happiness, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FGO, MHA, MJN, CHF, HIQ, TOA-R, ISQ, YUC, YKN, IIV, EIZ, SET, IBG, SML, OBD, JSH, RKO, SRW, PMM, INS
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Oh my god, that is completely unexpected and completely fantastic. I guess FUNimation can't keep Toei from spreading it around, and I couldn't be happier for that. I do wish the publisher was FUNimation, since it would mean they finally started working with Crunchyroll, but this is at least a great deal better than I expected anyway. This is the one show I've had to watch on FUNimation's player for the past several years, and now that number gets to be reduced to zero, making it 24 out of 27 simulcasts on Crunchyroll. Wonderful.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

I wonder how far back they will be able to add the episodes. It's very likely it won't go before episode 391 (that's when FUNimation started simulcasting One Piece). It would be nice if they can go further back, but I'm not expecting that.

Comment

Well, the forum topic does say "all" previous episodes.

If that's true, I'll definitely check the show out sometime. I'd been planning to anyway, but CR is always preferable to Hulu.

Comment

Originally posted by _PS_ View Post

If that's true, I'll definitely check the show out sometime. I'd been planning to anyway, but CR is always preferable to Hulu.
            I didn't notice the forum blurb. I guess we just have to wait and see how far "all" extends to.

Comment

Well this is definitely unexpected, after 4.5 years of FUNi doing the simulcast, CR is also going to simulcast it. I'll probably stop watching FUNi's stream if CR is able to simulcast episodes in HD.

When they do upload the back episodes, I'm really curious to see if those special episodes such as the Toriko crossovers FUNi was unable to stream will get added.
              Useful MAL Blog Entries | MAL | Anime-Planet | FilmAF | Manga | MFC | PSN: Videogameaddict2 | XBL: BigOnAnime94

Comment

Fantastic news, though I'm nowhere near where they plan to start (will throw it in my queue anyway). I've only watched through 206 and I'm waiting for FUNi's voyage sets to finish before I start on S4-5. If someone (FUNi or CR, I'm not picky) could get that chunk between FUNi's home video license and start of the simulcast, I'd be all set for a OP marathon.
                What I've Been Watching ~ DVD Collection

Comment

For anyone at all curious about it, seems CR's streams use different subs than FUNi's, and CR unfortunately was unable to get the latest opening, so it's still "We Go".

Also interestingly enough, both have "We won't left anyone behind." as a typo in the subs for the opening. FUNi has had that as a typo since the first episodes using that opening were streamed.
                  Useful MAL Blog Entries | MAL | Anime-Planet | FilmAF | Manga | MFC | PSN: Videogameaddict2 | XBL: BigOnAnime94

Comment

Originally posted by BigOnAnime View Post
                    Also interestingly enough, both have "We won't left anyone behind." as a typo in the subs for the opening. FUNi has had that as a typo since the first episodes using that opening were streamed.
                    Another oddity about that typo is it's been fixed in the Hulu uploads for some time now. I'm not entirely sure why the initial streams still have it incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by BigOnAnime View Post
                      I wonder how that happened given that a different set of subs are being used. After all, word choice is always different depending on who is translating it as far as I can remember being said.
                      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nene Yoshiro, Toilet-bound Hanako-kun
                      Watching: Luck & Logic, Soul Link, Happiness, Toonami Stuff
                      Simulcasts: FGO, MHA, MJN, CHF, HIQ, TOA-R, ISQ, YUC, YKN, IIV, EIZ, SET, IBG, SML, OBD, JSH, RKO, SRW, PMM, INS
                      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by _PS_ View Post

If they do go all the way back I'll likely check out the first part of the series. I always get sick of these never ending shows before too long though.

Comment

Yep, we've still got We Go! after forever. But getting to watch this on Crunchyroll's great player, in HD (not being able to watch Toonami, I've never seen even seen any One Piece in HD except Movie 8, so this is a really big deal for me) with no ads, nicer (soft, and multilingual) subs, and none of the many issues I'm used to is such a treat that I really don't care that much about that. As much as I'd like to see the new animation (especially since I still have to see the Fishman Island characters every week), I've honestly never gotten sick of that song, and the animation is still really great.

I haven't done comparisons for this particular episode (and I don't plan to ever touch FUNimation's stream of it again), but it looks like they're probably getting the same English subs, including both translation and roumaji for the lyrics, unlike most Crunchyroll simulcasts, although both are at the bottom of the screen unlike FUNimation's stream. The episodes still start with the Toei bump, with the only difference being the obvious lack of the (also very outdated) FUNimation one. The copyright at the end does say "License coordinated by FUNimation Entertainment", so I guess there is some hint of collaboration going on here.

EDIT: Oh, just read the post that the subs are in fact different. Interesting.
                          My Top Anime | Manga
                          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                          My FP Reviews | Twitter
                          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                            I wonder how that happened given that a different set of subs are being used. After all, word choice is always different depending on who is translating it as far as I can remember being said.
                            It's possible that's the official lyric both translation teams were given, and neither was allowed to deviate from that, even if the music publishers never bothered to update and fix the typo.
                            My animé & figure collections
                            Hummingbird
                            || Tweeterings
                            XBL: TakenIdiot / PSN: ishikusui

Comment

I'm probably being delusional in hoping this news will somehow help speed up FUNi's DVD Sets of One Piece, right?

(I know that FUNi isn't involved in CR having One Piece)
                              My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X