Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Disney to release Hayao Miyazaki's The Wind Rises

Originally posted by llj View Post
    Well, it was released under the Touchstone label in theatres, so obviously Disney knew about its lack of marketability to the mainstream. It's more for the arthouse film crowd than the general audience or even otaku crowd. Which is no problem for me personally since I probably fall more under the former category than the latter two categories. I would have been really upset if it hadn't been released here at all.
    Yah that's what I was thinking too as I watched it. More for the art-house, foreign film crowd than the normal mainstream, animation crowd.

I was also wondering if maybe Disney is contractually obligated to release this under their agreement with Miyazaki and Ghibli? Or maybe they're simply content to break even on it. But the fact that they're coming out with Porco and Pom Poko and even Earthsea which they didn't bother with a combo just a while back so soon after these present three makes me wonder? Are they trying to get all their remaining Ghibli titles out there before their contract ends? Maybe? Or maybe I'm just reading too much into all this?

J. A.
    Currently Watching: Fairy Tail Coll. 4, Freezing, Digimon Frontier, Black Lagoon
    Just Finished: Battle Girls, Sailor Moon R-2, Sabagebu, Infinite Stratos 2
    Current Backlog: 38 Series: 22 Bricks/Lite boxes, 16 BD's/Combos
    Current Collection: 362 Series, plus: 70+ movies, 110+ OVA's, 30+ Singles

Comment

• Re: Disney to release Hayao Miyazaki's The Wind Rises

I think they can pass on Ghibli stuff if they want. Look at Poppy Hill and Princess Kaguya going to GKIDS.

If The Wind Rises wasn't directed by Miyazaki himself, it's possible they would've passed on it. The Miyazaki name was probably enough of a reason for them to keep it, but distribute it under Touchstone Pictures for a more niche crowd.

I don't think they're contractually obliged to put out Blu-rays for any of the Ghibli titles. I can believe most of them actually sell pretty decently, even for Disney. I'm not saying they could compare to Frozen or the recent Marvel movies, but I'd imagine they're at least in-line with their average titles. They probably just saved the more niche ones for last while keeping interest going by releasing them alongside some of the bigger films. They're saving Spirited Away for last for a reason. ;^_^ They know fans are collecting them. Yeah anime has a reputation as being fairly niche, but never under estimate the power of really really popular anime, especially if it's under a brand like Ghibli.
      Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

• via GKIDS x Shout! Factory:

- The Wind Rises (Blu-ray/DVD) - 126 minutes - $29.95 - 9/22/20
        - The Wind Rises - 126 minutes - $19.96 - 9/22/20
        Last edited by WTK; 06-08-2020, 07:05 PM.

Comment

• GKIDS finally has The Wind Rises! A little disappointed that they didn't include some kind of special edition with these, but maybe in the next few years.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          Fandom Post Radio

Comment

• ^^^yeah, they should have just solicited a steelbook with these since they'll likely do one to match the rest. Wouldn't be surprised if people hold off on buying these now.
            My Anime List
            YouTube <- I do collection Videos
            Avatar: from BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad

Comment

• BD/DVD https://www.shoutfactory.com/product...roduct_id=7440
              Special Features: Exclusive Booklet, Feature-Length Storyboards, 10 Years With Hayao Miyazaki Documentary Episode, Behind The Microphone, Film Completion Press Conference, Original Theatrical Trailers, TV Spots
              DVD https://www.shoutfactory.com/product...roduct_id=7433
              Special Features: Behind The Microphone, Film Completion Press Conference, Original Theatrical Trailers, TV Spots

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhys2753 View Post
                ^^^yeah, they should have just solicited a steelbook with these since they'll likely do one to match the rest. Wouldn't be surprised if people hold off on buying these now.
                I don't like steelbooks for various reasons, so if this release gets a sale quicker because people want steelbooks, that's fine with me.

Comment

• And it's finally coming out through GKIDS. I'll wait and see if there are any special editions coming before anything.
                  MyAnimeList | Avatar: Kizuna Kazayama, The Rising of the Shield Hero
                  Watching: Love Live!, Buddy Complex, Blue Period, Wonder Egg Priority
                  Simulcasts: HZG, DAL, MMZ, KGS, KCC, LGH, RSH, RKO, SHE, TNB, SXF, KKD, KGN, YKN, AAS, DEA, ESL, SJC, PPK, MJS, AHA, WOM
                  The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

• Question about Ghibli releases over all. I still have my Disney blu ray copies, but also picked up the Gkids versions for the more updated look, but is there any real difference between them? Are there any features or anything on Disney Ghiblis that GKids do not have or anything else like that? I'm debating this with The Wind Rises releasing, and I still own both sets but trying to thin out my media a bit with double dips I've done...

Comment

• Originally posted by Shez View Post
                      Question about Ghibli releases over all. I still have my Disney blu ray copies, but also picked up the Gkids versions for the more updated look, but is there any real difference between them? Are there any features or anything on Disney Ghiblis that GKids do not have or anything else like that? I'm debating this with The Wind Rises releasing, and I still own both sets but trying to thin out my media a bit with double dips I've done...
                      The GKIDS releases each have an 8-12 page booklet with artwork and interviews with each film that the Disney releases didn't, and if you're a sub watcher, the subtitles for most of the films have been proofread and redone to be more accurate translations. Someone who's gone over the subs with a fine-toothed comb could probably give you a more detailed answer. I think Kiki's subs might still be an odd case as they always have been. Also, the Kiki dub was re-edited, removing many of Jiji's adlibs, so if you're a dub fan you may want to hang on to both copies of Kiki if you enjoyed that part of it.
                      Ana & Matsuri's breezy summer style || my avatar library
                      ~ Currently Watching: The Familiar of Zero; Ga-Rei-Zero
                      ~ Last Watched: DARLING in the FRANXX; My Neighbor Totoro; The Girl Who Leapt Through Time; SSSS.DYNAZENON; Revolutionary Girl Utena (series & film)
                      homepageblogreviewsanilistkitsu

Comment

• https://gkids.com/2020/06/11/the-win...ad-blu-ray-dvd

Studio Ghibli and GKIDS, with distribution by Shout! Factory, will issue The Wind Rises on digital download and On Demand on September 1, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Serial Experiments Nobue View Post

The GKIDS releases each have an 8-12 page booklet with artwork and interviews with each film that the Disney releases didn't, and if you're a sub watcher, the subtitles for most of the films have been proofread and redone to be more accurate translations. Someone who's gone over the subs with a fine-toothed comb could probably give you a more detailed answer. I think Kiki's subs might still be an odd case as they always have been. Also, the Kiki dub was re-edited, removing many of Jiji's adlibs, so if you're a dub fan you may want to hang on to both copies of Kiki if you enjoyed that part of it.
                          Thanks! Yeah I remembered about the booklets (which are nice bonuses, as always) and I did hear something about the subs getting fixed, the Kiki's thing is a bit new to me. Bit of a strange decision, but I guess just trying to keep true to the original more (even if it was sadly, Phil Hartman's last role).

Guess I'll be picking up this copy of The Wind Rises and sell my Disney copies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shez View Post
                            (even if it was sadly, Phil Hartman's last role).
                            Jiji was one of his last roles even if it was recorded a year before his death, but some of the last footage he actually filmed, for the NewsRadio S4 finale, is pretty haunting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tTVthi_myM

The NR cast had a really touching episode-long eulogy to him/his character in the S5 premiere, marking the only time NR ever took itself seriously.

/random Phil Hartman/NewsRadio fan rambling
                            Last edited by Spoofer; 06-13-2020, 12:01 PM.

Comment

• GKIDS:

BD/DVD https://www.rightstufanime.com/The-W...es-Blu-ray-DVD
                              DVD https://www.rightstufanime.com/The-Wind-Rises-DVD

Comment

• Originally posted by Serial Experiments Nobue View Post

Castle in the Sky's dub is also edited; the ad-libs in that dub are gone. Thankfully, though, GKIDS' BD still offers two options to see the dub: one with the rescore by Joe Hisaishi (which I still love today) and with the original score by Hisaishi. Bravo to GKIDS for featuring both scores, even if the ad-libs are missing on both (Yes, I liked the ad-libs. Deal with it.)

As for Kiki's Delivery Service, I'm beyond infuriated at the dub replacement on the GKIDS BD. Accurate or not, the sound mix is terrible. Everyone now sounds like they're talking through a fan! Not what I would call an "improvement." Also, I am one of the many who laughed at all of Hartman's lines. Still do. Minus of course the controversial last one ("Kiki can you hear me", which I agree with being dialed out), but everything else about Hartman's performance is just great that I was beyond infuriated that his lines were gone. But not as I am about the sound mix. Sadly, too, the subtitles on Kiki are still not fixed. They're the Streamline script dubtitles (which apparently are a bit more accurate, but still have some liberties).

Anyway, The Wind Rises is my least favorite Miyazaki film. Still is. I just cannot bring myself to enjoy it. It's painfully dull, and the dub just didn't floor me this time. Still, for those who want it, great, and it's nice to see GKIDS taking good care of the Ghibli films. Disney did a very good job dubbing and releasing the movies on BD/DVD, but when it comes to theatrical screenings, GKIDS is stepping it up.
                                Last edited by JTurner; 06-18-2020, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X