• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [DVD/BD] The Wind Rises

Widgets Magazine
    http://www.cartoonbrew.com/feature-f...rsy-87650.html
    Disney Will Release Hayao Miyazaki’s “The Wind Rises”
    Tuesday August 27, 2013 2:03 pm

UPDATED (2:35PM ET) Disney announced this afternoon that they will handle North American theatrical distribution for Studio Ghibli/Hayao Miyazaki’s latest film, Kaze Tachinu (The Wind Rises). They released few other details, and indicated that an official release date will be announced at a later time.
    http://www.thewrap.com/movies/articl...ises-us-113581
    Disney Will Release Hayao Mayazaki's 'The Wind Rises' in U.S.

Animation master's lastest film is about man who designed Japan's World War II fighter planes

Published: August 27, 2013 @ 12:24 pm

Disney will release Japanese animation master Hayao Miyazaki's next movie, "The Wind Rises," in North America, the studio said Tuesday.

There is no opening date set for the film, which will be released under the Touchstone Pictures banner. It a fictionalized account of the life of Jiro Horikoshi, the man who designed Japanese fighter planes during World War II...
    Last edited by WTK; 08-27-2013, 08:02 PM.

Re: Disney to release Hayao Miyazaki's The Wind Rises

I knew Disney wouldn't skip over the next (Hayao) Miyazaki-directed movie. Looking forward to the theatrical run assuming it makes its way near enough to me (both Arrietty and Poppy Hill did, so I'm not too worried), although when I get the combo pack, I might have to switch it over to the Japanese and see how long I can bear to listen to Anno try to act.
    My Top Anime | Manga
    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
    My FP Reviews | Twitter
    Fandom Post Radio

Comment

The kicker here is that it isn't under Walt Disney Pictures like the rest of the Ghibli catalog. It's under Touchstone Pictures, the illustrious label that includes the Step Up movies and Gnomeo and Juliet. It's pretty much the "we care but we really don't" label. It used to be a really good, mature themed label. Now, not so much.
      Most Wanted US Releases: RahXephon (BD upgrade), Kemonozume | Current Avatar: Charlotte Dunois from Infinite Stratos

Comment

Weird. Was expecting this to go to GKIDS with home video by Cinedigm like Poppy Hill. From what I've seen, this looks even less mainstream than even Poppy Hill. Maybe the Miyazaki name helped.

The Touchstone distribution is similar to Princess Mononoke's (now former) Miramax label.

With that said, it's good for a picture like this. Maybe it will play near me...
        Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
          I knew Disney wouldn't skip over the next (Hayao) Miyazaki-directed movie. Looking forward to the theatrical run . . .
          Yeah, Disney licensing a Miyazaki film isn't exactly shocking news, even it is under the Touchstone label (as GoldenWaste pointed out).

However, I am a little curious - how did Miyazaki get around the industry & war aspects? Generally, he does like flying machines, but this involves industrialized mass production of planes to fight a war . . . both of which are big no-no's in a Miyazaki movie. Did he just gloss over them?
          "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Comment

https://twitter.com/ghibli_intl/stat...71808941490176
            And @ghibli_intl is delighted to produce, with @LeDoctor (Frank!) and a crackerjack team, the English-language dub of #TheWindRises.

Comment

Originally posted by One Vorlon View Post
              I knew Disney wouldn't skip over the next (Hayao) Miyazaki-directed movie. Looking forward to the theatrical run . . .
              Yeah, Disney licensing a Miyazaki film isn't exactly shocking news, even it is under the Touchstone label (as GoldenWaste pointed out).

However, I am a little curious - how did Miyazaki get around the industry & war aspects? Generally, he does like flying machines, but this involves industrialized mass production of planes to fight a war . . . both of which are big no-no's in a Miyazaki movie. Did he just gloss over them?
              The film has more to do with Jiro chasing his ambition to be an airplane engineer and his experience in the Great Kanto earthquake. As the film goes on his work as an airplane engineer takes a backseat and the narrative focuses on his personal life.
              "Pledge $1000 or more: I will yell your name really loud while I chase a duck."
              -My Collection
              --[plug] I review and blog about anime at Akemi's Anime World [/plug]

Comment

Originally posted by One Vorlon View Post

I think the majority of the film takes place before WW2.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGoldenWaste View Post
                  The kicker here is that it isn't under Walt Disney Pictures like the rest of the Ghibli catalog. It's under Touchstone Pictures, the illustrious label that includes the Step Up movies and Gnomeo and Juliet. It's pretty much the "we care but we really don't" label. It used to be a really good, mature themed label. Now, not so much.
                  First off, have you seen the Dreamworks film that Disney released under the Touchstone label?

Second, I could understand why Disney would release this as a "Touchstone Pictures" release rather than Disney itself, as this isn't your typical Miyazaki film and the film's plot (a story based on the life of a Japanese WWII airplane designer) makes it feel more like something that would be released by Touchstone than the Disney label itself.
                  Joseph Klemm
                  "Neco-san desu-o!! meeeeowww!"

Spring 2015 Plans
                  Friday: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
                  Saturday: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
                  Sunday: Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic

Comment

Originally posted by TnAdct1 View Post
                    First off, have you seen the Dreamworks film that Disney released under the Touchstone label?

Second, I could understand why Disney would release this as a "Touchstone Pictures" release rather than Disney itself, as this isn't your typical Miyazaki film and the film's plot (a story based on the life of a Japanese WWII airplane designer) makes it feel more like something that would be released by Touchstone than the Disney label itself.
                    No, I don't care to see it anyways. It looked really dumb from all the trailers.

Touchstone is a significant step down regardless of content. Disney already hasn't given much priority to Ghibli stuff and its a drop in the bucket for them. Now that this isn't under Walt Disney Pictures and under Touchstone, expect an even steeper decline in care. The people who cared enough about Ghibli films all these years at Disney aren't going to be able to touch this.
                    Most Wanted US Releases: RahXephon (BD upgrade), Kemonozume | Current Avatar: Charlotte Dunois from Infinite Stratos

Comment

Great to see Disney continue their stronghold on Miyazaki titles here as expected.
                      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Kizuna Kazayama, The Rising of the Shield Hero
                      Watching: Love Live!, Buddy Complex, Blue Period, Wonder Egg Priority
                      Simulcasts: HZG, DAL, MMZ, KGS, KCC, LGH, RSH, RKO, SHE, TNB, SXF, KKD, KGN, YKN, AAS, DEA, ESL, SJC, PPK, MJS, AHA, WOM
                      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=12014
                        The critically acclaimed animated film is expected to arrive in U.S. theaters in 2014, with a Blu-ray release to follow.

Comment

...although when I get the combo pack, I might have to switch it over to the Japanese and see how long I can bear to listen to Anno try to act.
                          Anno's seiyuu debut is not the worst I've heard (*cough*Gackt*cough) but his acting is pretty flat. I'd be surprised if Disney's dub doesn't isn't a considerable improvement.
                          "Pledge $1000 or more: I will yell your name really loud while I chase a duck."
                          -My Collection
                          --[plug] I review and blog about anime at Akemi's Anime World [/plug]

Comment

Originally posted by Legion View Post
                            ...although when I get the combo pack, I might have to switch it over to the Japanese and see how long I can bear to listen to Anno try to act.
                            Anno's seiyuu debut is not the worst I've heard (*cough*Gackt*cough) but his acting is pretty flat. I'd be surprised if Disney's dub doesn't isn't a considerable improvement.
                            Lol, I was joking about this with my brother not too long ago. The Arrietty dub was awful, but I think Disney will up their ante with the dub for a Miyazaki movie.

Comment

Originally posted by jala12 View Post
                              Originally posted by Legion View Post
                              Lol, I was joking about this with my brother not too long ago. The Arrietty dub was awful, but I think Disney will up their ante with the dub for a Miyazaki movie.
                              The Arrietty dub's biggest fault was the numerous changes to the original script. No guarantee that won't happen with the Wind Rises as well, even if the acting is "better".

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X