• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [R1 DVD] Funimation licenses Crest of the Stars & Banner of the Stars

Widgets Magazine
    via FUNimation.com
    August 10, 2013 - Flower Mound, TX -

[...]

During the Sunrise panel, which occurred prior to the FUNimation panel, it was announced that FUNimation has acquired the rights to the following titles:
    • Banner of the Stars
    • Banner of the Stars II
    • Passage of the Stars "Birth"
    • Crest of the Stars
    Last edited by WTK; 09-17-2018, 03:52 PM.

Re: FUNimation licenses Banner of the Stars (Seasons 1 & 2) & Crest of the Stars

Wasn't there a Banner of the Stars III, involving a gender-segregated prison planet? Or was that just Passage of the Stars "Birth"?
    "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Comment

Re: FUNimation licenses Banner of the Stars (Seasons 1 & 2) & Crest of the Stars

Originally posted by One Vorlon View Post
      Wasn't there a Banner of the Stars III, involving a gender-segregated prison planet? Or was that just Passage of the Stars "Birth"?
      There was a Banner of the Stars III, but the gender-segregated prison planet was in Banner of the Stars II; 'Birth' is a prequel to Crest of the Stars. It would have been nice if Funi had gotten Banner of the Stars III on top of the others, but it seems not, unfortunately.

As for these releases, I'm hoping Funi manages a BD release (which I would buy in a heartbeat). I'm not sure that's terribly likely, though; I'm a bit surprised that Funi licensed them at all.
      Last edited by Glorian; 08-10-2013, 05:35 PM.

Comment

Yep BOTS II was the prison planet. BOTS III was a short series (like two episodes) that don't have a hell of a lot of point nor story. Birth was a single episode and I am pretty certain it was included as an extra in one of the Bandai collections, hence why it is showing up here.

Pity BOTS III is not here, but maybe if they sell well enough it will come. Though to be honest I didn't expect to see this again, so something is definitely better than nothing, these titles never seemed to do that well for Bandai. A pity it is one of my favorite shows.
        Last edited by skittles; 08-10-2013, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Hmmm, I have an order for Banner II waiting to be fulfilled from Right Stuf. Maybe I should cancel it and see what the Funi release ends up looking like (and it'll probably be cheaper as well...). =/

Comment

Another interesting pick-up. I didn't picture FUNimation getting this. I'm glad it's coming back in-print too. No double dipping here as well. I'm slightly curious to see if FUNimation will be tempted to re-dub the series.

Comment

Not sure why they would feel the need to. FUNi doesn't redub anything unless they absolutely have to.
              Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleWarrior13 View Post
                Not sure why they would feel the need to. FUNi doesn't redub anything unless they absolutely have to.
                If I remember correctly, the dub was not that great (I guess your experience was different). With that said, I don't expect them to re-dub it (not with this franchise anyways).

Comment

I've never seen the show or it's dub. Still, unless it's heavily edited or universally mangled (it might be. I don't know), FUNi has no reason to redub. It's not financially a good idea. If I were them, I'd spend time and resources redubbing the material that has no dub.
                  Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

I've never seen either, but the both Stars dubs have been universally maligned for sounding completely flat and monotonous. It's consistently listed as one of the worst dubs of all time. I haven't seen ANYBODY put it on their "best dubs" lists. Given how badly received all three dubs were, I wouldn't mind a redubbing, but yeah, for financial reasons it probably won't happen.

Comment

If Funimation can somehow get the Stars shows in HD, I will buy the BDs as soon as they’re available. If not … well, I don’t listen to dubs, and the Bandai discs (authored by Cinram/POP — remember them?) look pretty damn good for their age. I’ll survive. Having said that, I am glad Funimation picked these up.
                      I recognize terror as the finest emotion and so I will try to terrorize the reader. But if I find that I cannot terrify, I will try to horrify, and if I find that I cannot horrify, I’ll go for the gross-out. I’m not proud.
                      Stephen King

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
                        Originally posted by PurpleWarrior13 View Post
                        If I remember correctly, the dub was not that great (I guess your experience was different). With that said, I don't expect them to re-dub it (not with this franchise anyways).
                        I sat down last year and re-watched Crest Of The Stars for the first time in ages and yeah, it's dub stuck out to me quite a bit, and not in a good way. Even my wife commented on how stiff and unnatural many of the performances were. I do still like the girl who did Lafiel's voice, but even it took a little getting used to.

That said, CotS/BotS are still favorites of mine and I'm glad they're getting a chance at finding a new audience in R1. Maybe they'll do well enough to warrant BotS III getting picked up...

Comment

I'd pick up a BD release if it's done properly. And I'd definitely pick up BotS III if they ever got it. Glad to see these are going to be back in circulation at least.
                          I love my sons Lucas & Joseph!
                          - My Anime List - My PSN Profile -

Comment

I remember reading on AOD about translation mistakes in these series back during their release, which was one of the reasons why I never bothered getting into them. Here's some discussions I found on Google: http://www.gpforums.co.nz/thread/147378/1/ http://forums.megatokyo.com/index.php?showtopic=1020253

Does FUNi ever re-do subtitle translations? I don't need subtitles so much anymore, but I'd be more interested in supporting a release with better translations.

Comment

Originally posted by BusterD View Post
                              I remember reading on AOD about translation mistakes in these series back during their release, which was one of the reasons why I never bothered getting into them. Here's some discussions I found on Google: http://www.gpforums.co.nz/thread/147378/1/ http://forums.megatokyo.com/index.php?showtopic=1020253

Does FUNi ever re-do subtitle translations? I don't need subtitles so much anymore, but I'd be more interested in supporting a release with better translations.
                              I think they've done it before but not often. One of their other releases that also could've used a new subtitle track but didn't get one was the Tenchi OVAs, which are known for having rather innacurate subtitles. They're not dubtitles, but many liberties were taken with the subs, however FUNi simply slapped Geneon's original subtitle tracks on their release as-is.

If Tenchi wasn't popular enough to warrant new subtitles, the Stars series certainly aren't.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X