• Show
Clear All

• [DVD/BD] Ranma 1/2

Widgets Magazine
    12:50:12 <bay|Ota|Viz> Ranma 1/2
    12:50:16 <bay|Ota|Viz> coming to neon alley this fall
    12:50:26 <bay|Ota|Viz> coming to dvd and bluray and digital
    12:51:04 <bay|Ota|Viz> coming to vizanime.com and hulu soon

12:58:21 <bay|Ota|Viz> Q: Ranma 1/2, OVAs or movies? A: TV series first, going to see what support
    Last edited by WTK; 08-10-2013, 11:59 AM.

Re: Ranma ½

Good to see the series back in-print. I would have preferred Maison Ikkoku, but the probable sales side is stronger with Ranma.

I'm very curious of how they will release this now. I'm not sure if 7 sets is the best route to go here even if there are 161 episodes.

Comment

Hopefully it does well for them because I don't want to see an incomplete release here also speaking of the timing of this announcement the JP BD-Box sets which already has one released in June also are planned September and January next year. Since they don't have dates yet perhaps a spring/summer 2014 release?

Comment

Potential double-dip. I already own this show on DVD, and while I enjoy it, it's not my favorite Takahashi title. I was hoping for Maison Ikkoku as well.
        "The woman I love burns with jealousy, leaps to conclusions, cries, and turns to ice, but when she laughs, the world is mine." - Yusaku Godai from Maison Ikkoku

Comment

Awesome news! Another nice older title fans have been wanting for a while. Anyone know if there's even an HD master for the BDs? Seems a little silly to do BD too if the master is in SD still, and also with the episode count being as long as it is and all.

Edit: Nevermind, strikezero00 just answered that for me with the JP BD boxes.
          Last edited by sonic; 08-10-2013, 12:15 PM.
          My Anime List - My Collection
          Avatar: Kirino Kousaka & Ruri "Kuro Neko" Gokou from the anime Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai (OreImo).
          Adroc Thurston - "Don't beg for things. Do it yourself, or else you won't get anything."
          Anemone - "So many faces looking like they're thinking even though they're not. So disgusting."

Comment

Yep, they recently did a brand new HD telecine along with Urusei Yatsura and Maison Ikkoku.
            "The woman I love burns with jealousy, leaps to conclusions, cries, and turns to ice, but when she laughs, the world is mine." - Yusaku Godai from Maison Ikkoku

Comment

This is the show that introduced me to anime, and it's great to see Viz not only bring it back, but to also give us a BD release of it as well. Given how poor I was and how expensive it was to watch anime back then, I only managed to get through the first seasons 1-4 as well as the OVAs and movies as I had bought it two dubbed episodes on VHS for $20 apiece back in the day. I have been meaning to finish it, but it totally eluded me as my backlog has grown ever-so big. I would gladly double-dip for the TV series (though not the movies and OVAs as I already own DVDs for those), but whether or not I actually do it is something that I need to decide on.
              MyAnimeList | Avatar: Kizuna Kazayama, The Rising of the Shield Hero
              Watching: Love Live!, Buddy Complex, Blue Period, Wonder Egg Priority
              Simulcasts: HZG, DAL, MMZ, KGS, KCC, LGH, RSH, RKO, SHE, TNB, SXF, KKD, KGN, YKN, AAS, DEA, ESL, SJC, PPK, MJS, AHA, WOM
              The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=2024580

Originally posted by ObiKenobi
                Here's the actual screenshots.

R1 DVD | BD
                R1 DVD | BD
                R1 DVD | BD
                R1 DVD | BD
                R1 DVD | BD
                R1 DVD | BD
                R1 DVD | BD
                R1 DVD | BD
                R1 DVD | BD

Better detail, better colors, no ghosting, no EE, etc. All-in-all a superb upgrade that was long overdue. 2nd shot is for those who have only seen the Viz version you can see the difference in the title cards between the versions. Not every shot is the exact frame but it's close enough that you get the idea.
                Avatar: From Sailor Moon S Episode 118 "The Battle in a Demonic Dimension! The Sailor Soldier's Bet"

Comment

Well, we all sort of knew this was coming. I'm glad to see they will be putting it back in print, and even upgrading it to a Blu-ray release. It makes me feel that I may have made the right choice by not jumping on the OOP DVD sets when they were on their counters. I'll be much more willing to go all-in for Ranma finally with a Blu-ray release. Hopefully it does well enough for them to get all the way through to the OVAs and Movies as well, since I don't have those either. Viz is already owning Otakon for me... Funimation's going to need something amazing to be able to compete at this point.
                  Avatar: Chihaya Ayase from Chihayafuru
                  Maintainer of the Locked Subtitle Tracking Thread

Comment

I bought the first few seasons on sub-VHS, then DVD for S1-5 before I lost interest. Depending on how they are released I'd likely go for at least the first few seasons, but I don't know if I'd make it to the end. I would like the OAVs (maybe song battle this time?).

I did buy all of Maison Ikkoku, but I'd buy that on BD.

Comment

I bought many Ranma VHS before upgrading them to DVDs, I guess it's time to do that with the BDs. Well my wish is that they'll be using the same JP BDs for remastering their release. I wonder if they're releasing the movies and OVAs (including the 2008 Special) on BD as well.

I hope that Ranma BDs will sell well to make VIZ consider doing the same for Maison Ikkuko and hopefully Urusei Yatsura.
                      Formerly "Mazinkaizer" at AOD

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
                        I would have preferred Maison Ikkoku, but the probable sales side is stronger with Ranma.
                        Which is a shame since Maison Ikkoku is so much better.
                        Formerly Randall Flagg at AoD.
                        Touch is still the greatest show ever.
                        Avatar: Miyako and Yuno of Hidamari Sketch wish you a Merry Christmas.

Comment

I'd also much rather have Maison Ikkoku, but Ranma being on BD and the shelf space I'll regain (I have the original DVD boxsets) means I'll probably grab these.
                          What I've Been Watching ~ DVD Collection

Comment

I would definitely have preferred Maison Ikkoku over Ranma, but I still liked Ranma enough to get the BDs. Part of me also hopes that Ranma doing well might encourage them to consider MI as well, although that might be wishful thinking on my part.

Comment

I love Ranma, and I'm looking forward to this! :D

The movies and OVAs would be nice, I'm taking this one step at a time. Also, the new(ish) OVA would be awesome too.

I've never seen Maison Ikkuko or Urusei Yatsura, but neither look as appealing to me as Ranma or Inuyasha. I might check out Ikkuko if it's rescued though. It may or may not happen, since I'm not sure the show was much of a hit when it came out. I'm surprised they even dubbed the whole TV show (it took a couple tries though).

Urusei Yatsura is more like a Discotek or Nozomi title, maybe even Sentai or Maiden Japan. Since the show is so old, so long, and never been dubbed, I doubt Viz will touch the show.
                              Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X