Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [R1 DVD] I have a question about the new repackaged inuyasha dvds

Widgets Magazine
    I have a question about the new repackaged inuyasha dvds. Does it have the Japanese text opening and closing like the final act of inuyasha ??
    Last edited by ps3repair1980; 06-10-2013, 02:10 AM.

Re: I have a question about the new repackaged inuyasha dvds

They use the exact same discs as the original releases, so no (though it's not a big deal either way...).
    Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleWarrior13 View Post
      (though it's not a big deal either way...).
      Different strokes for different folks. Viz tends to omit a lot of people in their translated credits, so those who can read or want to look up the kanji to find who did what may be out of luck. There are also those that find it more aesthetically pleasing (either they like the look of kanji over English text, or the hard-translated text is more awkwardly placed).
      Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 06-10-2013, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ps3repair1980 View Post
        Does it have the Japanese text opening and closing like the final act of inuyasha ??
        Must be a case of them not having creditless OP & ED videos for Final Act because they had no problem using them for the Tiger & Bunny sets plus they did include English credits in Final Act as an extra (similar to Aniplex's Madoka Magica discs).
        Last edited by NJ_; 06-10-2013, 01:51 PM.
        Avatar: From Sailor Moon S Episode 118 "The Battle in a Demonic Dimension! The Sailor Soldier's Bet"

Comment

I've noticed that they typically don't use english credits in releases that don't get TV broadcasts (Final Act) or were heavily censored for a TV broadcast (Naruto). Though it's probably more likely taht they don't have a specific method for their madness and do whatever is convenient.
          Avatar: Misaka Mikoto, the Railgun. Level 5 Electromaster and Ace of Tokiwadai Middle School.

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
            (though it's not a big deal either way...).
            Different strokes for different folks. Viz tends to omit a lot of people in their translated credits, so those who can read or want to look up the kanji to find who did what may be out of luck. There are also those that find it more aesthetically pleasing (either they like the look of kanji over English text, or the hard-translated text is more awkwardly placed).
            I don't care either way, but I've always found leaving in kanji to look sloppy if textless sequences are available (my brother: "That's lazy! They didn't even bother to translate the credits"). We can't read Japanese, so why leave it in (though it's not like I really read the credits anyway, other than the voice actors)? It does get ridiculous when the credits are just a black screen, the kanji is left in, and a separate scroll is done after. If there was just black, why leave them in? Though I don't think it's a big deal either way (some REALLY overreact), but I admit that a separate scroll can get annoying (either it happens after EVERY episode, or all the credits are all mashed together at the end, which gets REALLY annoying since it usually results in only the main voice actors receiving credit).

Though there have been a few times when companies are very sloppy with the credits (ADV with Saint Seiya and their subtitled Sailor Moon). Obviously if there are no textless sequences, attempting to blur out the kanji looks hideous. I actually kinda liked what Manga UK did and covered the kanji with solid blocks with English text inside.

Obviously it shouldn't be a deal breaker though (I just have a preference like every aspect of a release). I've seen annoying Japanophiles avoid purchasing a release simply because their precious kanji isn't included.
            Last edited by PurpleWarrior13; 06-10-2013, 06:54 PM.

Comment

It's worth keeping in mind, for folks who don't know, that leaving Japanese credits sequences alone and putting English scrolls afterward is a significant cost-savings measure, which is why it happens. It means a studio doesn't have to put in the time and money and personnel to make English versions, and work into their schedule time for those versions to go through the approvals process. It of course ends up being a convenient byproduct that some fans then get their preference of original credits text.

Here also is where it bears repeating that incomplete English credits scrolls or sequences are the fault of... the Japanese. Domestic studios don't just sit around translating name kanji on their own, and then deciding they only feel like doing main characters and key staff. They use what is provided by, or compiled in concert with, the Japanese licensor. So, next time you check an on-disc credits list and see that you can't find out from there whether you recognized that background character's seiyuu correctly because they're not listed, be sure you get irritated at the right entity.

Or, in some cases, to a point EB made, then be glad you may have the option of checking the actual kanji credits to find that name. Though of course it requires either knowledge of Japanese or the motivation to cross reference kanji visually. But at least the information is present.
              asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
              Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
              Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

I suppose I can understand it from that angle, but I can't see how in the world Toei approved of ADV's credits for Saint Seiya and Sailor Moon. O.o

There are also some shows (Pioneer's Sailor Moon DVDs come to mind, same with FUNimation and Yu Yu Hakusho) where they start out crediting a great deal of the Japanese staff, but slowly evolve into just crediting the key people. With Dragon Ball/Z/GT, FUNi only credited the creator, director, production company, and some music people. That's it.

Some companies are just as bad with it for the English staff (I've even seen some releases not credit them at all). For Pioneer and Tenchi, only a list of the main voice actors were given. It's the reason some characters' voices are a complete mystery. There are also cases like with 4Kids and Pokemon (at least in the beginning) where they gave a list of the English AND Japanese voices... MIXED TOGETHER IN ONE LIST, despite the Japanese version never being released here.

Comment

It does get ridiculous when the credits are just a black screen, the kanji is left in, and a separate scroll is done after. If there was just black, why leave them in? Though I don't think it's a big deal either way (some REALLY overreact), but I admit that a separate scroll can get annoying (either it happens after EVERY episode, or all the credits are all mashed together at the end, which gets REALLY annoying since it usually results in only the main voice actors receiving credit).
                  I don't really agree. For me, it's the best of both worlds to have the original credits along with a complete translation of those credits. The former is so I can be certain of the people involved if I need to, as you can have different people with the exact same name in romaji but different kanji, or the English translation credits getting the reading of a known person's kanji wrong. The latter is for casual viewing, and when I'm uncertain on the reading of a particular person in the kanji credits. I know I'm likely in an extreme minority that cares about that but I don't think the downsides of doubling the credits are that significant. The black screen is easily skippable if you don't need it. Sentai's way of doing credits would be ideal for me, if they were actually more consistent at crediting minor roles in the English dubs. I think they probably do it not for completeness (as I'd like), but more out of cheapness/laziness (like Hayate points out).

Comment

Some companies are just as bad with it for the English staff (I've even seen some releases not credit them at all).
                    I remember hearing about something along these lines with shows like Nanoha (can't remember if this was one of those shows), where some of the shows were produced non-union when they shouldn't have been, and the lack of English credits was done to protect the actors, directors and other people involved with the English track.
                    My animé & figure collections
                    Hummingbird
                    || Tweeterings
                    XBL: TakenIdiot / PSN: ishikusui

Comment

That's sometimes the case (it also occurs in the new Sonic games), but it's usually pure laziness on the part of the people doing the credits. The example I mentioned (Tenchi Universe) did this despite it being a union dub. Inuyasha: The Final Act was also a union production (all Ocean dubs are), and that also suffered from the same issue.

Comment

There are also cases like with 4Kids and Pokemon (at least in the beginning) where they gave a list of the English AND Japanese voices... MIXED TOGETHER IN ONE LIST, despite the Japanese version never being released here.
                        I think the reason the Japanese names are mixed in there is because they reused some of the Japanese Pokemon voices for the dub.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                        Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                        Widgets Magazine
                        Working...
                        X