Widgets Magazine

Funimation licenses Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2199 & 2202

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [DVD/BD] Funimation licenses Star Blazers: Space Battleship Yamato 2199 & 2202

Widgets Magazine
    Our Star Blazers.com/Cosmo DNA Community Facebook page (maintained by Tim Eldred)
    News from Japan: I'll probably regret opening this can of worms, but here's another screenshot from the 2199 Episode 3 web simulcast. The sign says the series will be exported under the name "STARBLAZERS 2199." No indication of when, how, or in what language. Besides, they got the name wrong. It's supposed to be two words.
    EDIT:
    - Well, now we know something about why they've taken the more bellicose tone. Doesn't justify their actions on any grounds, but now we know they still have plans for the dub name. The one positive that I can see is that it means they'll be actively pursuing English-language distribution--which I think wasn't always a given.

- [name removed], it doesn't make sense to collapse your US branch if you intend to expand into the US market, so I can't imagine how the two are related. And again, there was no specific mention of English-language distribution. Only an English name for foreign export. More info is needed.

------

- In a word, I would say "control". Close out the old offices under the old regime and anyone attacked with/to it and start fresh. Just a thought.

- Entirely possible, [name removed]. I do know that Production IG will be the handler if it comes to the US.

------

- Just a wild guess on my part, but given what they did to Tim and the SB.com page, not to mention their actions on said page since, that's the only hypothesis as to why this is now forthcoming. (Similar how Rich Steinback hijacked Star Trek once Gene passed away).

- It still doesn't explain why they told me to my face that I would be kept on for future activity, and then silently cut me off afterward. That part doesn't add up at all.

------

- well, to be candid, Tim, I think they used it as an excuse to take your material and cut you out of it entirely to prevent you from calling them out on their theft.
    Call me crazy, but the more I see the new episodes, the more I see the plot development and lay out of your old Rebirth Web comic in the episodes. Maybe it's just me, but that looks like the stunt Disney pulled with Lion King.

- [name removed], they aren't using any of my material. They've deleted all of it from the website, and 2199 has nothing in common with Star Blazers Rebirth. It started from an entirely different premise.

------

- Voyager Entertainment is based in Japan. The former US office (now closed) was an offshoot of that. And I feel the need to repeat, the picture you're looking at here is ALL the information that has been released. Further speculation or questions are a dead end.

------

- Just for clarity, the key line on that paper (just above the English name) read "Overseas expansion decision!" In other words, they've decided to export it. Lots of other decisions still have to happen after that.

------

- Since the original voice work was non-union, there wouldn't have been contracts for it. Just work-for-hire agreements with no rights or residuals. At this point, legally, the original dub is irrelevant. And with the amount of on-screen text, they would only be making more work for themselves by changing the names of things.
    Last edited by WTK; 03-28-2018, 09:46 PM.

Re: Star Blazers 2199 coming to the US?

Ah hopefully it is true and relatively early next year I guess. Though why is the name that, whats wrong with Space Battleship Yamato
    AOTY 2015: Food Wars!, AssClass, Seraph of the End, Fafner Exodus, UtaPri3, Herobank, MajinBone, Durarara!!x2, Buddyfight, Vanguard G, Yugioh Arc-V MAL|

Comment

Whatever name they release it under makes no difference to me. I imported 4 BDs (which has sub) and will get the rest as they are released.
      Formerly "Mazinkaizer" at AOD

Comment

Originally posted by 27CansOfTuna View Post
        Ah hopefully it is true and relatively early next year I guess. Though why is the name that, whats wrong with Space Battleship Yamato
        I imagine it's not nearly as recognizable in the West as "Star Blazers."
        My animé & figure collections
        Hummingbird
        || Tweeterings
        XBL: TakenIdiot / PSN: ishikusui

Comment

Originally posted by EyeOfPain View Post
          Originally posted by 27CansOfTuna View Post
          I imagine it's not nearly as recognizable in the West as "Star Blazers."
          Definitely have to agree with that.

Similar to Speed Racer and Astro Boy, most people know Space Battleship Yamato by it's American name Star Blazers than by the Japanese name.

Of course, the big question now is whether the character names will be Americanized as well (or will they retain the original Japanese names).
          Joseph Klemm
          "Neco-san desu-o!! meeeeowww!"

Spring 2015 Plans
          Friday: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
          Saturday: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
          Sunday: Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic

Comment

Originally posted by TnAdct1 View Post
            Of course, the big question now is whether the character names will be Americanized as well (or will they retain the original Japanese names).
            I think that really depends on who licenses it. If an anime company like FUNi or Aniplex picks it up, chances are they wont change much, if anything. But if another American company steps in and wants to capitalize on the success of Star Blazers, then we should probably start worrying.
            Watching: FMA: Brotherhood, Konosuba, Nanbaka, Naruto Shippuden, One Piece (Toonami), Urusei Yatsura
            Recently Finished: Coicent, DBZ, Digimon Tri - Chapter 2, One Piece Film: Gold, Road to Ninja: Naruto the Movie

Comment

Funi does stillhave resurrection, so they ver ywell could be after distro on 2199. With that said,I'm also keeping up with th imports, and the thought of a name change makes me glad I did.
              -Keith

Comment

@ AX screening.

https://twitter.com/will__rc/status/353737886966886402
                STAR BLAZERS 2199. ENGLISH DUB. HELL. YES. pic.twitter.com/f5P012gYjP
                https://twitter.com/gendomike/status/353737660898091010
                And Yamato 2199 starts immediately afterwards. Dubbed.

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
                  @ AX screening.

If that's the case, it seems like it pretty much has to be a Funi announcement; no one else is left, and it would be bizarre to show a dubbed version at AX with none of the companies even commenting on it.

Comment

That was unexpected. Any info yet on where it was dubbed at?

I'm very interested to find out what their distribution plans are for it.
                    DVD/BD collection
                    Avatar: Yajiro from The Eccentric Family

Comment

Originally posted by Glorian View Post
                      Originally posted by WTK View Post
                      @ AX screening.

If that's the case, it seems like it pretty much has to be a Funi announcement; no one else is left, and it would be bizarre to show a dubbed version at AX with none of the companies even commenting on it.
                      Voyager's Star Blazers.com has a PR release on it, so it could be a dark horse in the running, though they don't actually say _they_ have it, which may mean someone (prob FUNi at this point) negotiated to copyright of "Star Blazers" with then.

Though if it were someone else, maybe we'd finally see the original Yamato series subbed in some sort of a partnership thing. Hey, one can dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Betenoire View Post
                        Though if it were someone else, maybe we'd finally see the original Yamato series subbed in some sort of a partnership thing. Hey, one can dream.
                        I'll add to that dream how nice it would be for a domestic license and release of the movies on Blu-ray, which are being released on Blu-ray in Japan over the course of this year.
                        asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
                        Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
                        Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

Wait...what? Star Blazers and 2199 with seperate dubs?
                          -Keith

Comment

This is getting interesting. I really hope it's FUNimation, honestly...

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                              Wait...what? Star Blazers and 2199 with seperate dubs?
                              Thats what we're not sure about. I came across these two videos on Youtube for "Star Blazers 2199". They appear to be pitch videos (perhaps to get a US licensing company on board?)

The 2nd video in the playlist has "Argo" in the subs even though they're clearly saying "Yamato" in Japanese, however everything else appears to be left unchanged including names, at least for now.
                              Watching: FMA: Brotherhood, Konosuba, Nanbaka, Naruto Shippuden, One Piece (Toonami), Urusei Yatsura
                              Recently Finished: Coicent, DBZ, Digimon Tri - Chapter 2, One Piece Film: Gold, Road to Ninja: Naruto the Movie

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X