Widgets Magazine

Funimation licenses Date A Live

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FUNimation licenses Date A Live (Seasons 1 & 2)

Originally posted by Dimension_Tripper View Post
    Man what's the deal, are they gonna have a chipboard box version for Season 2 or not cause it's pictured at the end of the coming soon trailer as well and all this teasing of something that (could have been) doesn't seem to be happening is frustrating.
    At the moment, they don't. It could be that they were initially planning to release a LE version, but they changed their mind later on and they forgot to make changes to the trailer. But nevertheless, it isn't available to buy.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Ellenoir Seiran, Endro~!
    Watching: Machiavellism, La Verite, Shining Hearts, Buso Renkin, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Dub of episode 13 and 14 are up on Funimation website. Based on lengths of those episodes, no new scenes like Japanese BDs.

Comment

I'm hoping they at least have the home video masters and aren't accidentally about to release the TV version of the show. I now really wonder about S1 if they got the Director's Cut as that supposedly had that too, which the Blu-ray Box promoted, but it was a thing on the singles too going by the official site.

[Edit]I went and tried to find a TV vs. BD comparison for S2, and came across this. I looked at two fanservice scenes in the dub, and it matches up with the 4th and 5th BD shots in that comparison, so it seems they do have the home video masters. Wonder if they weren't allowed the Director's Cut footage. FUNi's relationship with Kadokawa is a bit rocky again (despite the mistake that pissed them off having happened 4 years ago, and Kadokawa later being fine with them much later), wonder if that has something to do with it.

[Edit 2]Looking into things further for S1's Director's Cut, we do have some of that. Some of the singles had new scenes, others did not, and comparing the Hulu runtimes to FUNi's site as Hulu seemingly still has the TV version for the subbed episodes, we definitely got the new scenes that were on the singles. The Blu-ray Box however, which was released after FUNi's release, has about 25 minutes worth of entirely new scenes, these.
        Last edited by BigOnAnime; 03-08-2016, 07:48 AM.
        Useful MAL Blog Entries | MAL | Anime-Planet | FilmAF | Manga | MFC | PSN: Videogameaddict2 | XBL: BigOnAnime94

Comment

Yeah, I didn't go thru episodes to make sure they have home video masters. I was only look at runtimes for both episodes.

Comment

I'm confused. So is Funimation's release of Date A Live II missing footage from the Japanese Blu-rays? There's a review on Amazon claiming that it is missing footage.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R17OD3C...wasThisHelpful

This thread from the NISA forums is a bit more in depth, stating that Funimation's release is uncensored, but it is missing the extra footage.

http://nisamerica.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16577
            Last edited by Razzuel; 04-10-2016, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Yeah, we're missing the new footage, but have the home video masters. It's possible Kadokawa wouldn't let FUNi have the extra scenes as FUNi is seemingly having some issues with them again despite it being years since the Heavens Lost Property: Forte and Strike Witches 2 incidents.
              Useful MAL Blog Entries | MAL | Anime-Planet | FilmAF | Manga | MFC | PSN: Videogameaddict2 | XBL: BigOnAnime94

Comment

via Funimation Shop & TRSI:

Date A Live: Season 1 Collection (Blu-ray / DVD Combo) (S.A.V.E. Edition) - 325 minutes - $29.98 - 7/26/16
                - http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/Shop...?itemid=270666
                Special Features: Actor Commentaries, Textless Songs, U.S. Trailer, Trailers
                Last edited by WTK; 04-15-2016, 10:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigOnAnime View Post
                  Yeah, we're missing the new footage, but have the home video masters. It's possible Kadokawa wouldn't let FUNi have the extra scenes as FUNi is seemingly having some issues with them again despite it being years since the Heavens Lost Property: Forte and Strike Witches 2 incidents.
                  I'm confused here on this, how is it that this release is missing "new" footage if it is using the home video masters? Was there a JP BD-Box re-release of season 2 when additional scenes just how they did with Season 1 doing a re-release during the time the movie was out in theaters in Japan?

Comment

Originally posted by strikezero00 View Post
                    Originally posted by BigOnAnime View Post
                    I'm confused here on this, how is it that this release is missing "new" footage if it is using the home video masters? Was there a JP BD-Box re-release of season 2 when additional scenes just how they did with Season 1 doing a re-release during the time the movie was out in theaters in Japan?
                    Likely restrictions from Kadokawa as FUNi is seemingly having issues with them again. As I've noted, they do in fact have the home video masters, they're not using the TV version with the censors and not fixed animation. Note how they have the animation fixes and it's uncensored. If you want, I can go and do more comparisons found on that Wikia.
                    http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/...l=1#post351160

There's also this.
                    http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/...l=1#post353236

There is no Blu-ray Box for S2, but the singles contained new footage, similar to how the S1 singles did (and FUNi got those new scenes, but not the scenes added in the Blu-ray Box released well after their release).
                    Last edited by BigOnAnime; 04-15-2016, 05:31 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't be so sure if the recent Kadokawa "issues" are strictly about FUNi, since Sentai seemingly got the short end of the stick too in some way with Prisma Illya 2wei. I would think that either they're not allowing this content to be included on overseas releases at all or they're asking a high price that US companies are not willing to pay for a niche property. I do wonder what's going to come of home video releases of their titles with the recent moves like the Crunchyroll partnership. They may think it's better for their domestic Japanese sales if they don't get released on home video in the US at all (wonder if we'll see the situation like with niche Aniplex titles where they're released in UK/AU but not US).
                      Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 04-15-2016, 07:55 PM.

Comment

http://www.funimation.com/forum/show...ll=1#post85302

Originally posted by Sophie
                        We have an answer for you guys and really appreciate your patience.

We do not have the Date A Live II director’s cut, which actually adds runtime to the release. This is different from how most Japanese home video (and our releases) work. In most (not all) cases, the runtime is mostly the same, but just certain parts are redrawn.

Essentially there are three versions:

Broadcast version <— this is what we simulcast and what was on Japanese TV
                        Uncut version <— this is our release. We know that it has redrawn scenes that weren’t in the broadcast version. It features new, uncut footage that differs from the original simulcast version. It is not based on the broadcast materials.
                        Director’s Cut <—this was Japan’s special longer version for their home video
                        Avatar: From Sailor Moon S Episode 118 "The Battle in a Demonic Dimension! The Sailor Soldier's Bet"

Comment

Season 3 of Date A Live has just been announced, and it will be airing this winter. With Production IMS having gone bankrupt, J.C. Staff will be doing the animation. As this comes not long after Funimation terminated their relationship with Crunchyroll, this is expected to be simulcast on Funimation with a simuldub.
                          MyAnimeList | Avatar: Ellenoir Seiran, Endro~!
                          Watching: Machiavellism, La Verite, Shining Hearts, Buso Renkin, Toonami Stuff
                          Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
                          The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

https://www.funimation.com/blog/2018...w-shows-season

Date A Live III
                            SimulDub Premiere 01/25/19
                            US, CA, UK, IE

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/statu...91073902219264
                            You want more Date A Live? You've got more Date A Live.

Get ready for the highly-anticipated manga arcs and the sexy action when Date A Live III hits FunimationNow this winter! #YouShouldBeWatching
                            Last edited by WTK; 01-09-2019, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Date A Live III - Opening | I Swear

Date A Live III - Ending | Last Promise
                              Last edited by Slowhand; 01-18-2019, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X