Widgets Magazine

ANNCast, Robert Napton (Bandai Entertainment)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [DVD/BD] ANNCast, Robert Napton (Bandai Entertainment)

Widgets Magazine
    https://twitter.com/ANNZac/status/305984574712868865

ANNCast this week features Robert Napton, formerly of Bandai Entertainment USA. This is a big show, guys.
    https://twitter.com/ANNZac/status/305984722486587394

I'l reannounce tomorrow but if you want to get your questions in, get 'em in now. We tape soon.
    Avatar: Yajiro from The Eccentric Family

Re: ANNCast, Robert Napton (Bandai Entertainment)

I can only begin to imagine what is going to be talked about here. Curious, was he around when Bandai Entertainment more or less got pushed under?

Comment

Originally posted by ChibiGoku View Post
      Curious, was he around when Bandai Entertainment more or less got pushed under?
      I'm think he was there there sometime last year. If anything, it will be more than current enough for any sort of BEI discussions.

Comment

Oh man, this will definitely be a very interesting ANNCast. I wonder how long it'll run for due to Twitter time.

Quick brain, think of questions!
        Anime DVD/BD Easter Egg Index | MAL | Anime-Planet | Anime BDs | Anime DVDs | Manga | MFC

Comment

And the ANNCast is now live: LINK

Comment

Interesting bit about the Dolby Digital Audio for the K-ON! Blu Rays. Human Error.

Comment

It's very tragic to hear that for the most part Bandai did pretty good even during the shifting times near the end, but the powers may-be thought it wasn't enough and pulled the plug. In the back of my mind, I always thought if they lasted just a little longer, they would have gotten Tiger and Bunny, and that would have brought them back up.

Interesting to note K-ON actually did well for them; who would have thunk that. And those plans for Endless Eight like having guest casts like have the FUNi VAs voice them just sounds like a really nifty idea. Man, it sucks that it didn't get through.
              Mari can't pull herself together because the Girl Friends Complete Collection 2 is about to be released by Seven Seas ON JANUARY 8TH or else Akko will get.....
              Girls' Love Festival 10!!! 9/29/2013, On the edge of October; not exactly Labor Day!
              Follow my VERY useful thoughts on Twitter!

Comment

Overall, this was a fantastic podcast. It's one of the best (if not the best) ANNCast I have ever listend to. It really felt depressing at times. It's just sad to hear them get the plug pulled out by Bandai Japan when things could still be running. Again, this is really something that anime fans would want to listen to (whether it's in portions or not).

Here are some of my notes (may be slightly out of order, but I still suggest that you listen to the actual podcast).
                - Eureka 7: gateway for manga; took 2 years to build
                - Bandai Visual USA:
                Akira did better than everyone expected
                Corporate strategy that made no sense.
                Mistake 1: Titles launched weren't strong enough
                Mistake 2: Image Ent to distribute to the major retail stores like Best Buy
                Shrinkage issues with the shipment units
                - Code Geass (huge title; great), Haruhi (great), Gurren Major (major), The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (menioned along the same line).
                - Clockwork Fighters: cursed titles with many production delays; oh boy title
                - Sunrise controls Gundam
                - Turn A Gundam mini-interview with Syd Mead was completed; but the release itself didn't get very far
                - Gundam is phenomenon in Japan, but not in US; "disconnect" was used as key term
                - Gundam Wing is the peak (with TV, toys)
                - Gundam is always "okay"
                - Gundam Seed did okay, Gundam Seed Destiny did not do as well, Gundam 00 did okay, Gundam Unicorn did pretty well.
                - Ghost in the Shell: solid/strong performer with Manga Ent.
                - Never got anything for free, bid like everyone else.
                - Bandai Japan throwing the twoel in the US market (not privy to the exact reason)
                - K-ON! did well
                - Told about BEI closure 2 days prior to a convention [my guess is from 2011, Otakon/NYAF or later one?]
                - Kurokami simulcast was more or less attempt to combat piracy
                - Most proud of manga division (built from ground up; BEI was not known for publishing); division of 1 with freelancers.
                - Most proud on anime: introducing anime like Haruhi, K-ON!, and Lucky Star from BEI
                - Biggest boondoggle: Haruhi concert
                - Tanked: Ghost Slayers Ayashi manga bombed (90% inventory returned)
                - K-ON! BD DD audio issue: nameless vender's fault (human error)
                - Hayate the Combat Butler: an English dub was never planned
                - Clamp School Detectives: didn't do well to okay
                - Code Geass manga: did well
                - Flag: did great in Texas, didn't do well overall
                - Glaxay Angel: okay title, top screener request for conventions
                - .hack properties after the original series: never came back to where it was
                - Kannagi: did okay
                - Lucky Star: did well for anime; manga was best seller by far
                - Silent Mobius movies: underperformed/did okay
                - Live-Action Oshii movies: didn't do well
                - Sword of the Stranger: did pretty well
                - Tekken Blood Vengeance: did well @ walmart (and overall); aimed for the mass audience
                - Toward the Terra: didn't do well
                - 5 Centimeters per Second: pretty well

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
                  -K-ON! did well
                  For some reason this amuses me. Especially the Lucky Star part. Maybe my memory is wrong, but I vaguely remember the popular assumption was that it bombed. Well, to be fair people probably assumed that because of the LE cancel and the sub-only thing for the OVA. In any case, the story behind Bandai's closure is rather depressing. It also had some of the worst timing.

Comment

The bit about Texas amuses me. Makes me wonder why Flag did well in that particular state.
                    Avatar: Ahiru and Fakir of Princess Tutu | My manga list | My anime DVD list

Comment

Originally posted by Momoka Kibi View Post
                      -K-ON! did well
                      For some reason this amuses me. Especially the Lucky Star part. Maybe my memory is wrong, but I vaguely remember the popular assumption was that it bombed. Well, to be fair people probably assumed that because of the LE cancel and the sub-only thing for the OVA. In any case, the story behind Bandai's closure is rather depressing. It also had some of the worst timing.
                      Not in my listed notes, but it was also mentioned that they did preventive measures ahead of time for the demise of Borders. Lucky Star OVA being sub only wasn't addressed at all.
                      Originally posted by LKK View Post
                      The bit about Texas amuses me. Makes me wonder why Flag did well in that particular state.
                      I wonder if anyone who lives at Texas can make a better educated guess on why?

Comment

via ANN forums (from Quarkboy)
                        Originally posted by samuelp
                        I've heard things here in Japan from within Bandai "corporate" as to the reasoning for the shutting of Bandai Entertainment...

The reason why it seems so senseless is because Robert is only considering the situation in the US market, as if Bandai in Japan made the decision in a vacuum. The decision to shutdown Bandai Ent. was part of an overall restructuring that affected all parts of Bandai Group's audio visual units, within and outside of Japan.
                        The new overall philosophy is that Bandai should make physical products in Japan, and sell them overseas.
                        You remember how you said it was so silly for Bandai Ent. to have to pay Japan (bandai visual or sunrise) to license the shows? It seemed silly to them too, especially when the market had shrunk so much. Why should Bandai have a licensing and sales unit in the US but not everywhere else in the world, for example?
                        Their new strategy is to treat videogram sales more like gundam kits, and export Japanese made products to the world. For broadcast and internet license to local companies, and for sales export your Japanese products.
                        In this new strategy it didn't make sense to keep a sub company like Bandai Entertainment around. In fact having it license things in the US just made it harder to control a global marketing strategy from HQ. Bandai Group wants to treat the global market as much as possible as a single entity.

Now whether this is a smart decision or the epitome of hubris you can be the judge. What I can say is that it clearly was shortsighted in the way it _horribly wasted_ great talent.

Comment

^^^I agree it was a waste of great talent. By their logic and action, does this mean that they are going to restructure their prices to reflect a more global approach to market and sell their products? If their goal is to sell globally from Japan, their prices are going to have to come down to a level that is more receptive to the global market, especially in North America.

Comment

via ANN forums (from Quarkboy)
                            Originally posted by samuelp
                            I've heard things here in Japan from within Bandai "corporate" as to the reasoning for the shutting of Bandai Entertainment...

The reason why it seems so senseless is because Robert is only considering the situation in the US market, as if Bandai in Japan made the decision in a vacuum. The decision to shutdown Bandai Ent. was part of an overall restructuring that affected all parts of Bandai Group's audio visual units, within and outside of Japan.
                            The new overall philosophy is that Bandai should make physical products in Japan, and sell them overseas.
                            You remember how you said it was so silly for Bandai Ent. to have to pay Japan (bandai visual or sunrise) to license the shows? It seemed silly to them too, especially when the market had shrunk so much. Why should Bandai have a licensing and sales unit in the US but not everywhere else in the world, for example?
                            Their new strategy is to treat videogram sales more like gundam kits, and export Japanese made products to the world. For broadcast and internet license to local companies, and for sales export your Japanese products.
                            In this new strategy it didn't make sense to keep a sub company like Bandai Entertainment around. In fact having it license things in the US just made it harder to control a global marketing strategy from HQ. Bandai Group wants to treat the global market as much as possible as a single entity.

Now whether this is a smart decision or the epitome of hubris you can be the judge. What I can say is that it clearly was shortsighted in the way it _horribly wasted_ great talent.
                            That must be the reason for the survey Bandai Visual is doing.
                            "WHO ARE YOU CALLING A RUNT SO TINY HE CAN ONLY BE SEEN THROUGH A MAGNIFYING GLASS, YOU JERK!!!!" - Edward Elric

Comment

I was the one who asked the Hayate question since I heard vague rumors about a dub and a TV deal but I guess I was totally wrong on that one. Good to know.

It was a very interesting interview though and it's kind of sad knowing that they weren't doing all that badly and it was more Japan pulling the plug. Especially having found out right before a major con. Can't imagine how frustrating it must of been to sit there are pretend like they were still functioning. I was kind of frustrated with some of Bandai's decisions in later years (really wanted a Star Driver dub) but it was sad to seem them go after how long they'd been there. It's also kind of funny to know that they also thought what Bandai Visual was trying to do was nuts.

Also kind of interesting on a side note to know that the guy was one of the first to work with Steve Blum and knew he was going places as a VA. Sometimes it really is insane thinking about how long some of these voice actors have been around...

EDIT: Ah never mind someone showed me where they made the comment of a Hayate dub: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/conv...nta/bandai-ent

Wonder if he just didn't know about it or if was just a PR thing.
                              Last edited by Alphanega; 02-28-2013, 11:07 AM.
                              "All's the world has anger issues" - Alphanega

My Anime Planet List

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X