Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [DVD/BD] Yu-Gi-Oh! Franchises

Widgets Magazine
    I've decided to put up a thread, detailing information regarding the releases of Yu-Gi-Oh! in the US, in hopes we can get at least a place of available information. So I'll be updating the first post whenever new information is available.

Current Status of License:

The Yu-Gi-Oh! Franchise is currently owned by Konami, or rather under their new company, 4K Media, due to 4Kids Entertainment selling their license of the series back in early 2012. They also acquired Toonzaki as well, which "streams" Yu-Gi-Oh! Franchises (though at this time, are just embedded Hulu streams). The series has been originally owned by 4Kids Entertainment from 2002 until 2012, which in the last couple years, came under a lawsuit between the owners of the license, TV Tokyo and ADK.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters

Current availability of the series in the United States are Dub only streams of the entire series on Hulu. Most of the series had been previously released on dvd by FUNimation Entertainment, but have since been put out of print. This includes the brief Uncut line that reached up to episode 9, which included the original Japanese version and redub of Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters.

New Video Group began releasing the series, in both Season sets and Volumes with Season 1 on September 10, 2013 and finished the sets on May 13, 2014. On July 15, 2014, plans for a DVD Mega-set (Comprising of Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters and the Movie) is scheduled.

Currently, the series is currently on air on the Vortexx (CW's Saturday morning block) at 11AM on Saturdays and had recently restarted from the beginning. Nicktoons was scheduled to premiere the series on their network on January 14th, but has pulled promotion and information regarding the broadcast of the series on the channel. Later, the series would finally begin broadcast on Nicktoons, starting March 11th.

Subtitle releases via streams were being released but cancelled due to rights issues surrounding a voice actor (some second hand information suggest it was possibly Yugi's voice actor). This reportedly affected releases in Japan as well, but appears to have since been cleared up with reruns on TV Tokyo's sister channel, BS Japan.

Someone recently asked about Yu-Gi-Oh! DM streams on Facebook:

Angelina Sailors I wish there weren't all the lawsuits and rights around the original series and we could have an official sub series for the original
    Their response this was this:

Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Page @Angelina - You never know...
    Though does not indicate anything in the works, there does seem to be some hope we may see it someday. When? Who knows.

Yu-Gi-Oh! GX

Current availability of the series in the United States are Dub only streams of the entire series on Hulu. Reportedly in a QA with the Music Composer on reddit (Having trouble finding the exact post) who worked for 4Kids, plans to do Yu-Gi-Oh! GX subtitled were in the works, but as of January 2013, no such streams have been made available.

The series had a partial release by FUNimation Entertainment, though available only with an English dub, as no uncut version had been produced. The series has since been out of print, though can still be easily found on Amazon.

New releases are expected to be released through Cinedigm (New Video Group), through a deal with 4K Media, though no further information is available at this time.

Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's

Current availability of the series in the United States are Dubbed and Subtitle streams of the series on Hulu. The Dub has been edited, which contains modifications to the scripts, music, and imagery, but the subtitle version is unaltered (with the exception of the missing Next Episode Previews). While the Dub is "Finished" (no plans to produce anymore), the Subtitled version is currently being released, with Episode 135 as the latest. Both versions of the series are available in HD to Hulu Plus users.

They are currently being released on a weekly schedule until Episode 136, although it stopped prematurely at Episode 135, with further information being release about availability later (Source).

Although the series has not received a DVD release as of yet, Cinedigm deal with 4K Media, includes the Yu-Gi-Oh! Franchise as a whole and an eventual DVD and possible Blu-Ray release will happen down the line. No further information is available.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal

Current availability of the series in the United States are Dubbed and Subtitle streams of the series on Hulu. The Dub has been edited, which contains modifications to the scripts, music, and imagery, but the subtitle version is unaltered. The Dubbed version has been uploaded up until Episode 72, while the Subtitle version has been uploaded up until Episode 29. Both versions of the series are available in HD to Hulu Plus users.

It should be noted that Episode 13 was missing Subtitled, but on Toonzaki's facebook, they said it had been uploaded and approved by Hulu, but has not yet been published. This was later fixed and corrected.

Although the series is currently broadcasting new episodes on Saban's CW block, Vortexx, plans to pull the block have been announced for the end of September 2014.

In the February 2013 magazine for Licensing Magazine, an ad for Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal was shown mentioning the series will be soon coming to Nicktoons. (Source / Image) Eventually, the series began broadcasting on April 12, 2013.

It is unknown at this time whether or not premieres of Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal will move to Nicktoons.

Although the series has not received a DVD release as of yet, Cinedigm deal with 4K Media, includes the Yu-Gi-Oh! Franchise as a whole and an eventual DVD and possible Blu-Ray release will happen down the line. No further information is available.

Yu-Gi-Oh! V-Arc

Yu-Gi-Oh! V-Arc, which began broadcast in Japan on April 6, 2014, has been confirmed by 4K Media that they will begin distribution of the series in the future. The original tentative plans for the series was to begin showing off the series in 2014, but reports indicate that they may push distribution back to 2015.

As of June 4, 2014, no additional information is available.

Other

4Kids Entertainment and Warner Brothers have released the Yu-Gi-Oh! Pyramid of Light movie in Theaters and later on DVD. Although I am not sure about this 100%, the DVD release may be out of print now. Other sellers, however, are still selling it on Amazon, which you can check here.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Bonds Beyond Time was released by 4Kids Entertainment into a rather limited Theatrical run back in 2011. While plans to release the movie on DVD has been planned, ultimately nothing ever came of it. Originally, there was a listing from AE Entertainment (which I can no longer find) that had popped up on at least one website, which indicated they were releasing the movie on DVD. It was soon after pulled.

The movies were released on DVD and Blu-ray in the UK and other parts of Europe, both with the English and Japanese versions of the movie (though the Japanese version was hard subbed, probably as a request). However, on March 14, 2014, they announced on their official Yu-Gi-Oh! Facebook Fan Page, that they will be releasing the move July 15, 2014. Like the European release, it will contain both the Japanese and English versions of the movie.

Although as of right now, Yu-Gi-Oh! is only streaming in the United States, due to Hulu, Canada may be able to view the series in the future, as they will have information in the future regarding International streams:

Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Page We will have a solution for our fans outside the US coming this year. (Source)
    Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Page This is for US only. We will have more info about international streaming soon! (Source)
    Toei's Yu-Gi-Oh! is currently unlicensed.

DVD Releases

Below are a compiled listings of the available DVD (and in the future, Blu-ray) releases of Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise, as a whole, as well releases that are still available in some capacity.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters

Yu-Gi-Oh! Classic: Season 1 - [Amazon|TRSI] - $44.95
    Yu-Gi-Oh! Classic: Season 1 Volume 1 - [Amazon] - $24.95
    Yu-Gi-Oh! Classic: Season 1 volume 2 - [Amazon] - $24.95

Yu-Gi-Oh! Classic: Season 2 [Amazon|TRSI] - $44.95
    Yu-Gi-Oh! Classic: Season 2 Volume 1 [Amazon] - $24.95
    Yu-Gi-Oh! Classic: Season 2 Volume 2 [Amazon] - $24.95

Yu-Gi-Oh! Classic: Season 3 [Amazon|TRSI] - $44.95
    Yu-Gi-Oh! Classic: Season 3 Volume 1 [Amazon] - $24.95
    Yu-Gi-Oh! Classic: Season 3 Volume 2 [Amazon] - $24.95

Yu-Gi-Oh! Classic: Season 4 - [Amazon|TRSI] - $44.95
    Yu-Gi-Oh! Classic: Season 4 Volume 1 - [Amazon] - $24.95
    Yu-Gi-Oh! Classic: Season 4 Volume 2 - [Amazon] - $24.95

Yu-Gi-Oh! Classic: Season 5 - [Amazon|TRSI] - $59.95
    Yu-Gi-Oh! Classic: Season 5 Volume 1 - [Amazon] - $19.95
    Yu-Gi-Oh! Classic: Season 5 Volume 2 - [Amazon] - $24.95
    Yu-Gi-Oh! Classic: Season 5 Volume 3 - [Amazon] - $19.95

Yu-Gi-Oh! Bonds Beyond Time:
    DVD [Amazon|TRSI] - $19.97
    Blu-ray [Amazon|TRSI] - $14.95

UPDATE #1: Fixed an embarrassing spelling mistake I made. Hope a mod can modify the thread title to reflect this.

UPDATE #2: Added information regarding the series Broadcast in the US.

UPDATE #3: Updated availability of Subtitle release, plus information on Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal airing on Nicktoons.

UPDATE #4: Updated all available information, such as subtitle and dub streams, tv airings, and the recently solicited DVDs. Thanks to WTK for the heads up on the DVD release.

UPDATE #5: Updating episode availability and information about the future of the franchise on DVD in each section.

UPDATE #6: Updated relevant sections, including adding Bonds Beyond Time release information.
    Last edited by ChibiGoku; 06-04-2014, 05:51 AM. Reason: Fixing

Re: Yu-Gi-Oh! Franchies

We probably won't see a proper YGO! release until a few decades from now when someone decides to cash in on the nostalgia. I own the 3 uncut volumes they released of Duel Monsters. It broke my heart when they cancelled it so quickly.
    Avatar: Misaka Mikoto, the Railgun. Level 5 Electromaster and Ace of Tokiwadai Middle School.

Comment

Re: Yu-Gi-Oh! Franchies

I recently updated the top post to reflect new information regarding availability of the series online.

Also, regarding Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal, apparently it was mentioned in an ad in the February 2013 magazine for Licensing Magazine, that Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal will be heading to Nicktoons. (Source / Image)

No information has been given as to when it will air. Not sure if this has any relation to why Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters was pulled from Nicktoons days before it was supposed to air.

Originally posted by ProvidenceBreaker View Post
      We probably won't see a proper YGO! release until a few decades from now when someone decides to cash in on the nostalgia. I own the 3 uncut volumes they released of Duel Monsters. It broke my heart when they cancelled it so quickly.
      Yeah, I know how that feels. The only thing that sucks is that the DVDs were essentially dubtitled, with only a secondary track that used Japanese names instead of English names. Hopefully if this show gets a second chance on DVD with an uncut version, they'll be proper subs next time.

Comment

Re: Yu-Gi-Oh! Franchises

Hopefully it all gets a dvd releaes/rerelease, doesnt seem to make sense to pursue the dvds, as based on the post most had partial releases (was all of gx even dubbed?)
        AOTY 2015: Food Wars!, AssClass, Seraph of the End, Fafner Exodus, UtaPri3, Herobank, MajinBone, Durarara!!x2, Buddyfight, Vanguard G, Yugioh Arc-V MAL|

Comment

via Amazon.com | Studio: New Video Group / DVD Release Date: September 10, 2013

Comment

I wonder why they placed it on the same day as Digimon. Terrible that, looking up top, if they ever get to GX that I dont think it was ever fully dubbed?
            AOTY 2015: Food Wars!, AssClass, Seraph of the End, Fafner Exodus, UtaPri3, Herobank, MajinBone, Durarara!!x2, Buddyfight, Vanguard G, Yugioh Arc-V MAL|

Comment

So glad I didn't buy the OOP sets :D

Comment

I have the FUNimation release of Season 1, but it's in terrible condition, and has had a problem with skipping since I first got it. While I'm not a huge fan of the show (to be honest, I find it quite boring. The 4Kids dub at least added some camp value to it), I might consider getting this on a blue moon, but keep my FUNi set for collector's value (though I've lost the tin case it came in).

GX and 5Ds' dubs both ended early, but 4Kids did make some attempt to give the shows some closure.

Man, New Video is on a roll! Digimon, Robotech, Totally Spies, some Studio Ghibli works, and now Yu-Gi-Oh! That's quite a catalog right there!
                Last edited by PurpleWarrior13; 05-23-2013, 03:54 PM.
                Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

Thank you New Video you seem to be picking up all the old shows I remember watching as a young kid. I really need to pick this up as soon as I can.
                  Avatar: Haruka from Sakura Trick

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
                    Up @ TRSI now. As expected, it's dub only.

Comment

Thanks WTK for posting this.

Interesting that they're going with New Video Group, as well as releasing it in similar fashion to the Digimon DVDs, though I am not at all surprised it's dub only. Hopefully we could see Subtitled sets down the road, but I guess we first have to see how well the dub sets do.

Comment

It's great to see this show finally being released again on DVD. It will be quite interesting to see how exactly New Video is going to approach their releases going forward. It's great to see that this show isn't lost in oblivion considering that I liked watching this show every Saturday morning when I was a kid, and that YGO had a falling out of sorts with 4Kids. I only watched this show up through the end of the Doom Organization arc, so I figure to find the time to finish watching this on Hulu streams.
                        MyAnimeList | Avatar: Futaba Igarashi, My Senpai is Annoying
                        Watching: School-Live!, Hanako-kun, Vanguard Link Joker, Kingdom
                        Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
                        The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Contains episodes 1-49.

Special Features: Photo Gallery.

Spoken Languages: English.

Comment

Not a bad price considering FUNi's Season 1 set cost $75. It did have more extras, though nothing spectacular (music videos for song samples bookended with commercials for the CD, character profiles, trailers, etc).
                            Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

When are they going to start taking this show seriously and give us the freaking Japanese version with a brand new English dub that matches?

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X