X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [DVD/BD] ANNCast - Shawne Kleckner

Widgets Magazine
    https://twitter.com/ANNZac/status/268893720601051136
    ANNCast this week: our returning guest is CEO of http://RightStuf.com Shawne Kleckner! Send your questions in fast, we tape tomorrow!

Re: ANNCast - Shawne Kleckner

It looks like I'll be listening to ANNCast this week.

On a side note: Since I know Shawne reads these boards and this question is most likely going to get asked again. It was PsychoRabbit (on the old AOD forums) who came up with your nickname.
    Last edited by joelgundam01; 11-14-2012, 10:37 PM.
    Avatar: Satellizer el Bridget from Freezing
    Profile Picture: Yaya from Kikou Shoujo wa Kizutsukanai (Unbreakable Machine Doll)

Comment

It's now up: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2012-11-16

Comment

I like hearing that Blu-rays continue to do better and better in general. Shawne was clearly more upbeat about them from what I recall in the past and didn't rule out putting Utena on it someday when faced with the question.

Disappointing that it seems there is much red tape in regards to print-on-demand manga. Apparently a separate license from regular print, just as it is for digital releases. It's so silly. And rather frustrating.
        Help get Higurashi: When They Cry on Steam!

New & Early releases thread | MAL profile | anime collection | Avatar: Kobato Hasegawa (Haganai)

Comment

I can't reproduce the exact quote, but it seemed like he said one of the license announcements they have in the pipeline is one of those ones that was held up by a lot of red tape. So we may see another "unlicenseable" from them.

Comment

Nice to hear them being positive about Blu-ray. I'd be all for Utena being their first Blu-ray release.

I'm hoping that difficult to license title Shawne talked about is Dennou Coil.
            Avatar: Yajiro from The Eccentric Family

Comment

Originally posted by chronoclast View Post
              Nice to hear them being positive about Blu-ray. I'd be all for Utena being their first Blu-ray release.

I'm hoping that difficult to license title Shawne talked about is Dennou Coil.
              That's actually really plausible, considering it's starting to be licensed in other countries.

Comment

As expected, pretty solid podcast. Things that was interesting to me:

- BD sales @ TRSI not over 50% off threshold
                - Serial Experiments Lain, Hellsing Ultimate, and Black Lagoon selling well @ TRSI
                - Shift to more of a 50/50 male/female demographic
                - That "lock & key" title could potentially be announced in the near future
                - It's probably a no to the French dub on The Rose of Versailles

The fact that Shawne didn't completely rule out Blu-ray in the future could be a good sign. I guess it's a wait and see (especially if costs come down).
                Last edited by WTK; 11-16-2012, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
                  - It's probably a no to the French dub on The Rose of Versailles
                  Imavision had that license in Canada [their release was bilingual, but w/no subs of any sort], but that went OOP awhile ago [2011ish?]. It's possible the rights were available but from what he said it'd be an extra cost- probably a separate license entirely. Nice to hear there'll be extras- the dvd's I have were pretty bare bones in terms of extras, tho they did include an art booklet

Comment

One thing that bothers me about Shawne Kleckner's (and Nozomi's) business model is their recent push for old anime. It seems Nozomi has pretty much given up on licensing recent shows, perhaps due to the fierce bidding wars going on between FUNimation and Sentai. This makes me sad because Nozomi is always giving us great quality editions of series. Don't get me wrong, I dig the Utena DVDs and will buy the Rose of Versailles but as a whole Nozomi is quickly becoming "that company that license old cartoons". I say cartoons because Kleckner himself admitted the upcoming Princess Knight is aimed at old animation fans, not anime fans. And then he hinted at even more releases from that era. I am not an economy analyst but serving a series to a niche within a niche seems like a recipe with sub-mediocre sales to me. And one more thing: I do hope Kleckner wasn't serious when he raised Black Lagoon and Lain as examples of old anime being still popular today and connected it to future releases from the Nozomi stable of old cartoons. Because 1.Black Lagoon and Lain were always considered outstandingly popular and do not represent the standard old anime series (heck, Black Lagoon isn't that old anyway) and 2. These series are being marketed and sold by the mighty FUNimation. FUNimation pours so much money on publicity and charges such low prices they could sell colored ice to Eskimos.

Aside from that I am always happy to hear Right Stuf! is doing well. It's hard to believe Blu-ray discs are still not the norm in the U.S. I hope this changes very very soon as I find it so obsolete that inferior DVDs are still coming out for 1080p shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Nadav View Post
                      One thing that bothers me about Shawne Kleckner's (and Nozomi's) business model is their recent push for old anime. It seems Nozomi has pretty much given up on licensing recent shows, perhaps due to the fierce bidding wars going on between FUNimation and Sentai. This makes me sad because Nozomi is always giving us great quality editions of series.
                      I do think you are worrying over nothing. The fact of the matter is that Utena, Versailles, Dirty Pair, & Princess Knight have all been licenses that Shawne has been trying to get for years; in fact, Princess Knight has been in the works since the early days of Right Stuf itself. It just so happened that in the past few years Shawne finally was able to get all of these titles licensed & ready for release. I highly doubt that FUNi & Sentai are driving up prices to the point that Nozomi doesn't care about more recent titles, since Nozomi tends to license stuff that those two likely wouldn't have licensed in the first place, or at least not as soon as Nozomi tended to pick them up.

Just because the moon, sun, & planets aligned for Nozomi to finally get to "go ahead" for a few older titles doesn't mean that Nozomi is only going to be about older anime.
                      Come Visit The Land of Obscusion... Maybe you missed a title the first time around.
                      Forum Avatar: Hareluya Hibino & Kiyoshiro Okamoto from Hareluya II BطY / Blog Avatar: Michiru Yamane & Makoto Ichijo from Hareluya II BطY

Comment

Originally posted by LordGeo View Post
                        Just because the moon, sun, & planets aligned for Nozomi to finally get to "go ahead" for a few older titles doesn't mean that Nozomi is only going to be about older anime.
                        Sure, but it sure does feel like Nozomi's release of Sound of the Sky is already many years old. I know they're putting out some more recent stuff under their Lucky Penny line (and I sure will buy Hyakko and Sweet Blue Flowers), but let's be honest, most people love Nozomi for their premium packaging. It's great that they're even giving those shows a chance in the market, but still I would love it if every once in awhile a new/recent show would get the Nozomi treatment.

And Shawne's interview here did little to make me hopeful for the future.
                        Last edited by fireaxe; 11-20-2012, 11:32 PM.
                        Avatar: Azaka KOKUTOU from The Garden of Sinners - Kara no Kyoukai

Comment

Originally posted by Nadav View Post
                          One thing that bothers me about Shawne Kleckner's (and Nozomi's) business model is their recent push for old anime. It seems Nozomi has pretty much given up on licensing recent shows, perhaps due to the fierce bidding wars going on between FUNimation and Sentai.
                          From what I understand based on statements from both companies, bidding wars aren't really happening any more.
                          "Pledge $1000 or more: I will yell your name really loud while I chase a duck."
                          -My Collection
                          --[plug] I review and blog about anime at Akemi's Anime World [/plug]

Comment

Guess I'm not 'most people'. I'm really excited about Nozomi/TRSI's recent announcements and couldn't care less about the way the stuff is packaged. I find myself buying their classic releases more than their new stuff. Although I did buy my daughter a copy of Ristorante Paradiso... but even she's more excited by the licensing of Rose of Versailles. I'm pretty sure Shawne isn't limiting himself to the Discotek Zone but there's so much in that realm that would make a modicum of sales that's it's worth it to delve into it.

Comment

Originally posted by fireaxe View Post
                              Originally posted by LordGeo View Post
                              Sure, but it sure does feel like Nozomi's release of Sound of the Sky is already many years old. I know they're putting out some more recent stuff under their Lucky Penny line (and I sure will buy Hyakko and Sweet Blue Flowers), but let's be honest, most people love Nozomi for their premium packaging. It's great that they're even giving those shows a chance in the market, but still I would love it if every once in awhile a new/recent show would get the Nozomi treatment.

And Shawne's interview here did little to make me hopeful for the future.
                              I still think you're worrying over nothing. All Shawne did was "pimp out" his upcoming releases, like any company head would do, and then felt that it was related to bring up that there's another classic anime license to announce. If there is a more recent show out there that has the extra materials for Shawne to give it a Nozomi release then he'll do it. I'm pretty sure that the LP debut line-up & the recent Nozomi licenses happening at the same-ish span of time is really just a coincidence.

But, admittedly, it would be great for DLK to say something here & just ease any worries.
                              Come Visit The Land of Obscusion... Maybe you missed a title the first time around.
                              Forum Avatar: Hareluya Hibino & Kiyoshiro Okamoto from Hareluya II BطY / Blog Avatar: Michiru Yamane & Makoto Ichijo from Hareluya II BطY

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X