Widgets Magazine

Aniplex of America licenses Rurouni Kenshin OVA/Film [Import] / TV Series (streaming only)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [US BD] Aniplex of America licenses Rurouni Kenshin OVA/Film [Import] / TV Series (streaming only)

Widgets Magazine
    http://aniplexusa.com/rurounikenshin

TV series streaming outlets:
    - http://aniplexchannel.com/show-page/rurouni-kenshin
    - http://www.crunchyroll.com/rurouni-kenshin (dub & sub) | announced December 17, 2013
    - http://www.hulu.com/rurouni-kenshin (dub) | announced October 18, 2013
    - https://www.netflix.com/title/80016571 (dub & sub)

via ANN
    Aniplex Ships Rurouni Kenshin OVA/Film BDs in Japan, U.S. on Same Day
    posted on 2011-05-28 17:15 EDT

2 video projects on August 24 & September 21, film on October 26

The production company Aniplex of America announced at its FanimeCon panel on Saturday that it will release the 1997-2001 Rurouni Kenshin original video anime (OVA) projects and 1997 Rurouni Kenshin film on Blu-ray Disc in North America — on the same day that they ship on Blu-ray in Japan. The Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal (Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuioku Hen) prequel OVA will ship from Right Stuf and Bandai Entertainment's online stores on August 24, and the Rurouni Kenshin: Reflection sequel OVA will ship on September 21. Finally, Rurouni Kenshin The Movie comes out on October 26.

Aniplex of America will directly import the Japanese Blu-ray Disc edition for each anime, but the company will add an English-translated booklet. In both Japan and North America, these releases will have new exclusive cover illustrations by animation director/animator Atsuko Nakajima (Trinity Blood, Ranma ½, You're Under Arrest!). Aniplex already confirmed last month that the Blu-ray Discs will have both Japanese and English subtitles. They will also have the English dub that ADV Films made.

Nobuhiro Watsuki's original 1994-1999 samurai manga in Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump inspired a television anime series that is celebrating its 15th anniversary this year. Viz Media published the manga in North America, and Media Blasters' AnimeWorks label released the television anime. ADV Films had previously released the two OVA projects and the film on DVD under the licenser's formerly prescribed title Samurai X. Last month, Shueisha announced that a new Rurouni Kenshin anime project has been green-lit.

Pre-orders for the new Blu-ray Discs releases will start on June 1.

Update: Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal will cost US$64.98, while the other two Blu-ray releases will each cost US$54.98.
    PR
    Aniplex to Release Rurouni Kenshin OVAs and Movie on Blu-ray Simultaneously with Japan
    May 28th 2011

Aniplex to Release Rurouni Kenshin OVAs and Movie on Blu-ray Simultaneously with Japan

SANTA MONICA, CA (May 28, 2011) – Celebrating the 15th anniversary of the hit series-turned-international anime franchise Rurouni Kenshin, Aniplex of America Inc. announced today that it will be releasing the Blu-ray disc versions of the OVA (Original Video Animation) series and movie in North America, through Right Stuf.com and Bandai Entertainment's The Store on the same day as Japan. A total of three BD releases is scheduled to launch on the following dates:

Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal – August 24
    Rurouni Kenshin: Reflection – September 21
    Rurouni Kenshin The Movie – October 26

Aniplex of America will import the Japanese editions of the Blu-ray discs, with each release sporting exclusive packaging that features new illustration artwork by Rurouni Kenshin OVA animation director/animator Atsuko Nakajima (Trinity Blood, Ranma ½, You're Under Arrest!), along with the inclusion of an English translated booklet. Each Blu-ray release (digitally remastered and includes both the English and Japanese audio with English subtitles), will be distributed in limited quantities and sold through while supplies last.

Rurouni Kenshin Blu-ray Disc features:

Video: 1080 Hi-def
    *Original masters have been digitally re-mastered for Blu-ray release.
    Audio: Japanese (Linear PCM Stereo) & English dialogue (Dolby Digital 2.0)
    Subtitles: Japanese and English
    “Trust & Betrayal” (Tsuioku-hen) includes all original 4 OVA episodes (125 min.)
    “Reflection” (Seiso-hen) includes the original 2 OVA episodes (90 min.)
    The Movie (100 min.)

Exclusive new box and Digipak artwork illustrated by ATSUKO NAKAJIMA, the Character Designer
    Includes a deluxe booklet with a separate English translated booklet

Rurouni Kenshin Blu-ray products can be pre-ordered and purchased at:
    Right Stuf: http://www.Right Stuf.com/
    The Store: Store.Bandai-Ent.com/

*Pre-order starts June 1st.

Title
    Street Date
    SKU #
    UPC
    SRP
    Store price

Rurouni Kenshin OVA Trust & Betrayal
    August 24, 2011
    ANSX-3935
    $81.98
    $64.98

Rurouni Kenshin OVA Reflection
    Sept 21, 2011
    ANSX-3936
    $69.98
    $54.98

Rurouni Kenshin The Movie
    Oct 26, 2011
    ANSX-3937
    $69.98
    $54.98
    Last edited by WTK; 07-02-2016, 12:38 PM. Reason: update TV series streaming info

Re: Aniplex Ships Rurouni Kenshin OVA/Film BDs in Japan, U.S. on Same Day

Well, this is some great news! Thanks Aniplex!

Comment

Well, that is definitely excellent news! More and more Aniplex seems like the go to company for my anime dollar.
      MAL Profile | My Figure Collection | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by malazar View Post
        Well, that is definitely excellent news! More and more Aniplex seems like the go to company for my anime dollar.
        That's for sure, Aniplex is really a nice addition.

Comment

Update: Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal will cost US$64.98, while the other two Blu-ray releases will each cost US$54.98.
          Help get Higurashi: When They Cry on Steam!

New & Early releases thread | MAL profile | anime collection | Avatar: Kobato Hasegawa (Haganai)

Comment

Not exactly a huge surprising, but a welcoming one. I'm pretty sure I will pick all of them.

Comment

I'll definitely get the OVA's, not too sure about the movie (it was mediocre, at best).

Comment

Not sure if I'm interested enough in the Kenshin OVA's (watched the TV series back when it aired on Cartoon Network many years ago), but hopefully this does well for Aniplex. I wonder if the high price point will yet again be hard for people to swallow. Maybe not as much since it's not a significant amount all at once like with KnK.
                Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 05-28-2011, 04:39 PM.

Comment

PR
                  May 28th 2011

SANTA MONICA, CA (May 28, 2011) – Celebrating the 15th anniversary of the hit series-turned-international anime franchise Rurouni Kenshin, Aniplex of America Inc. announced today that it will be releasing the Blu-ray disc versions of the OVA (Original Video Animation) series and movie in North America, through Right Stuf.com and Bandai Entertainment's The Store on the same day as Japan. A total of three BD releases is scheduled to launch on the following dates:

Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal – August 24
                  Rurouni Kenshin: Reflection – September 21
                  Rurouni Kenshin The Movie – October 26

Aniplex of America will import the Japanese editions of the Blu-ray discs, with each release sporting exclusive packaging that features new illustration artwork by Rurouni Kenshin OVA animation director/animator Atsuko Nakajima (Trinity Blood, Ranma ½, You're Under Arrest!), along with the inclusion of an English translated booklet. Each Blu-ray release (digitally remastered and includes both the English and Japanese audio with English subtitles), will be distributed in limited quantities and sold through while supplies last.

Rurouni Kenshin Blu-ray Disc features:

Video: 1080 Hi-def
                  *Original masters have been digitally re-mastered for Blu-ray release.
                  Audio: Japanese (Linear PCM Stereo) & English dialogue (Dolby Digital 2.0)
                  Subtitles: Japanese and English
                  “Trust & Betrayal” (Tsuioku-hen) includes all original 4 OVA episodes (125 min.)
                  “Reflection” (Seiso-hen) includes the original 2 OVA episodes (90 min.)
                  The Movie (100 min.)

Exclusive new box and Digipak artwork illustrated by ATSUKO NAKAJIMA, the Character Designer
                  Includes a deluxe booklet with a separate English translated booklet

Rurouni Kenshin Blu-ray products can be pre-ordered and purchased at:
                  Right Stuf: http://www.Right Stuf.com/
                  The Store: Store.Bandai-Ent.com/

*Pre-order starts June 1st.

Title
                  Street Date
                  SKU #
                  UPC
                  SRP
                  Store price

Rurouni Kenshin OVA Trust & Betrayal
                  August 24, 2011
                  ANSX-3935
                  $81.98
                  $64.98

Rurouni Kenshin OVA Reflection
                  Sept 21, 2011
                  ANSX-3936
                  $69.98
                  $54.98

Rurouni Kenshin The Movie
                  Oct 26, 2011
                  ANSX-3937
                  $69.98
                  $54.98
                  Last edited by WTK; 05-28-2011, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Interesting news. I'm not sure I'd pick up all of it, but perhaps I might get Trust and Betrayal.
                    Avatar: Hinagiku Katsura from Hayate the Combat Butler.
                    Scratchy for Tama is angry.
                    I'm a little tired now...I want soda.
                    Casual

Comment

I love Aniplex more and more. Trust & Betrayal is possibly my favorite out-of-print anime, and now it's getting the full premium Blu-ray treatment with a simultaneous release from Japan. Fortunately, the price is definitely more on the Baccano! side than the Kara no Kyoukai side, although all these releases are much shorter. However, I believe Baccano!'s MSRP was 70 bucks and its pre-order price was at least 15 less, so hopefully the same will happen with all of these. I'll definitely be pre-ordering all of them from Right Stuf right when they go up.
                      My Top Anime | Manga
                      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
                      My FP Reviews | Twitter
                      Fandom Post Radio

Comment

Unfortunate that the English tracks are getting only Dolby Digital though.
                        Anime is not a right. It is a privilege, a consumer product, art, work for hire, a luxury, a hobby, entertainment.

Find me on Facebook and Follow Me on Twitter to see plenty of silliness in the anime and manga worlds and much, much more.

Comment

I...was kind of hoping the 64.98 price quoted for T&B before the PR was the MSRP. I've never seen it, but with all the praise it gets, I might still have to get it.
                          Help get Higurashi: When They Cry on Steam!

New & Early releases thread | MAL profile | anime collection | Avatar: Kobato Hasegawa (Haganai)

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Beveridge View Post
                            Unfortunate that the English tracks are getting only Dolby Digital though.
                            Any imperfection is unfortunate for a release like this, but if there's any English track I don't care about, it's these. An anime as great as Trust & Betrayal deserved so much better. This is also the one release that I hope defaults to the Japanese track (not that it's not extremely easy to switch). I was surprised that the Baccano! Blu-ray did, but very happy about it, as that dub is on the opposite end of the dub quality spectrum (it doesn't hurt that it makes more sense for late 1920s/early 1930s American gangsters to be speaking English than pre-/early Meiji Restoration-era Japanese swordsmen).

Originally posted by cress2000 View Post
                            I...was kind of hoping the 64.98 price quoted for T&B before the PR was the MSRP. I've never seen it, but with all the praise it gets, I might still have to get it.
                            Oh crap, look at that. Well maybe the movie isn't worth it.
                            My Top Anime | Manga
                            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
                            My FP Reviews | Twitter
                            Fandom Post Radio

Comment

I liked them all but for that price I think I'm going to just stick with my good old ADV dvds.
                              I love my sons Lucas & Joseph!
                              - My Anime List - My PSN Profile -

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X