Widgets Magazine

Aniplex of America licenses Durarara!! (Seasons 1 & 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Durarara!!

So this won't be considered a import since its been released and they mention "original set for north america" so hopefully this isn't expensive.

Comment

Heh, a lunch box. That's kind of a blast to the (anime) past. I still have a couple from multiple studios.

Excellent news for folks who watched the Japanese Blu-ray box come and go without any announcement of a domestic distribution arrangement... and better, since this set, like Baccano!, will be priced less (a limited import of the Japanese set would have ended up setting folks back over $300; this domestic set will likely be in the low $100 range). I'll most likely be buying a set to show support.

The Japanese set included a sixth extras Blu-ray disc, and three CDs, which this U.S. set will likely not contain. The disc count, and with Baccano! as a precedent, suggests that the five show discs will be identical.

That being the case, here is where I warn/remind folks that those discs contain one subtitle track, with full subtitles for dialogue, signs and subs. This means that when watching the dub, if you want to know what the chat room and cell phone text says, and it's one of the situations where the characters are not narrating that text as it appears, then you either have to turn those full subtitles on, or go without. So, unless AoA's license also includes the option to add a signs+songs track and reauthor the discs, that's the minor inconvenience that folks should expect.
      asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
      Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
      Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

I purposely passed on the JP set in hopes we'd get a domestic BD. So, "yay," I suppose. I'm assuming our set will be a good deal cheaper, which will make stomaching this stupid lunchbox release a little easier.

::edit::
        Actually, as long as all the discs are in a single keep case, then I really have no issue with the metal container.
        Last edited by Junker Woland; 07-28-2012, 02:21 PM.
        Junker Woland, a horribly delightful blog.

Comment

When Aniplex of America passed on the import BD-Box route, I wasn't sure a domestic release was going to happen or not. And a lunch box packaging never ever crossed my mind. I didn't think we would see that again in anime releases. The release itself is tempting (could be more depending on the price).

With that said, I question the timing of this announcement. For a series that didn't perform well in DVD sales, wouldn't be wiser to have this announced while the it was still airing on Adult Swim (as in have a better momentum leading toward the pre-order sale). I still like the announcement, but IMO it should have been reveled earlier this year.

Comment

I knew that Durarara would get a BD upgrade at some point. Now, I need to see the pricing before making a decision.
            MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
            Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
            Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
            The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Lunch box set? That's weird. I'll decide whether or not to upgrade when the price-tag surfaces (within the next two days, fortunately).
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by 27CansOfTuna View Post
                Do they still only sell their stuff on right stuf? How does preordering work there?
                Yes! They pretty much work exclusivily with Right Stuf.

Right Stuf's preorder system is similar to Amazon's. They won't charge your card until the item ships.
                Avatar: Satellizer el Bridget from Freezing
                Profile Picture: Yaya from Kikou Shoujo wa Kizutsukanai (Unbreakable Machine Doll)

Comment

Originally posted by joelgundam01 View Post
                  Originally posted by 27CansOfTuna View Post
                  Do they still only sell their stuff on right stuf? How does preordering work there?
                  Yes! They pretty much work exclusivily with Right Stuf.

Right Stuf's preorder system is similar to Amazon's. They won't charge your card until the item ships.
                  The list of official retailers can be found here: http://aniplexusa.com/retailers/. There are B&M retailers listed as they are present at select conventions across the country.

Comment

Whew. I'm glad Aniplex is bringing this over on BD. Saves me from importing it (as was the plan if there was no annoucement for BD at either AX or Otakon).

Comment

cool, definite pre-order
                      Not that I have a need for a lunchbox, but it's nice the BD is finally making its way here.

Comment

Whee!! I can now buy this on BD!
                        Anime watcher from New Zealand.
                        My Cel Collection | My DVD Collection | MAL Profile

Comment

Good thing I passed on the import..I'm sure those that bought might be regretting it right now.

Not too big on the lunchbox thing 0_0

Comment

I've been waiting for this. Hopefully the pricing is comparable to the Baccano BD.

I'm not sure about the lunch box though.
                            Avatar: Yajiro from The Eccentric Family

Comment

I'll bite at this, though I still want the original Japanese Blu-ray because of the better artwork and all that jazz. Surprised we got the BD when Aniplex said there were no plans.

It being a limited edition only release doesn't surprise me since it apparently didn't do so well on DVD for them, and that was before BD's were announced.
                              Last edited by BigOnAnime; 07-28-2012, 05:48 PM. Reason: Didn't notice WTK's post about Aniplex retailers until now
                              Useful MAL Blog Entries | MAL | Anime-Planet | FilmAF | Manga | MFC | PSN: Videogameaddict2 | XBL: BigOnAnime94

Comment

Originally posted by Hayate Kurogane View Post
                                That being the case, here is where I warn/remind folks that those discs contain one subtitle track, with full subtitles for dialogue, signs and subs. This means that when watching the dub, if you want to know what the chat room and cell phone text says, and it's one of the situations where the characters are not narrating that text as it appears, then you either have to turn those full subtitles on, or go without. So, unless AoA's license also includes the option to add a signs+songs track and reauthor the discs, that's the minor inconvenience that folks should expect.
                                Is it possible that the release could be modified slightly to include a limited subtitle track, while still otherwise mirroring the Japanese discs? IIRC the Read or Die BD only has the dub on the Japanese version and subtitles were added to the U.S. version while still otherwise being the same. Or am I off base here?
                                "Pledge $1000 or more: I will yell your name really loud while I chase a duck."
                                -My Collection
                                --[plug] I review and blog about anime at Akemi's Anime World [/plug]

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X