Widgets Magazine

Aniplex of America licenses Durarara!! (Seasons 1 & 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hayate Kurogane
    replied
    Re: Durarara!!

Originally posted by Junker Woland View Post
    Spoofer:
    I won't claim to have undertaken a thorough review, but I did previously spot check the original Crunchyroll simulcast subtitles for Durarara!! and those featured on the DVD/BD release. The textual differences were the Americanized manner of personal address (which I also find horribly distracting) and the occasional slight revision to certain lines; otherwise, most of the subtitles were identical.

The show is still available on Crunchyroll if you want to further compare. For the hell of it, I did a quick check of CR's version of Episode 3 (around the 13 minute mark) with what's streaming on Hulu (uses the DVD/BD subs); and again, most of the text is identical, except for some minor revisions (such as the "what, dork?" line).
    I believe the Crunchyroll subtitles were produced by the folks at MX Media, who I don't believe historically were inclined to go with such (irritating) subtitling conventions. My Spider-sense is telling me that someone at Bang Zoom! was allowed to do a subtitle script revision during the English production process prior to the release of the domestic DVDs, and therefore that's where the blame should go, but God only knows why anyone would think that was a good idea, outside of Kristi Reed really being in love with her dub script and wanting to share it with subtitle watchers who were trying to escape her questionably-cast, poorly-directed dub.

Leave a comment:

• Junker Woland
    replied

Spoofer:
    I won't claim to have undertaken a thorough review, but I did previously spot check the original Crunchyroll simulcast subtitles for Durarara!! and those featured on the DVD/BD release. The textual differences were the Americanized manner of personal address (which I also find horribly distracting) and the occasional slight revision to certain lines; otherwise, most of the subtitles were identical.

The show is still available on Crunchyroll if you want to further compare. For the hell of it, I did a quick check of CR's version of Episode 3 (around the 13 minute mark) with what's streaming on Hulu (uses the DVD/BD subs); and again, most of the text is identical, except for some minor revisions (such as the "what, dork?" line).
    Last edited by Junker Woland; 04-30-2014, 12:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Spoofer
    replied

Bump...

I'm slowly making my way through a massive backlog of recent(ish) titles, and I have to question what the deal is with the subs on this release. Throughout the entire show, in the Japanese track, I hear characters refer to each other by their family name (Kida-kun, Karisawa-san, Yumasaki-san; examples from introductions in the first episode), yet the subs always instead display their given names (Masaomi, Erika, Walker). Occasionally, I believe I've heard Masaomi referred to by his given name, and the subs will now instead display "Kida." It is incredibly distracting, and the most I could find online about the issue is that gg fansubs likewise inexplicably switched the name translations up (link). As pointed out in the link, I'm not sure that some of the characters' given names are even used in the show at all, other than being listed in the opening sequences. The dub always uses the same naming conventions (using given names instead of family names), so is this sub script heavily Americanized and perhaps based on the dub?

There was also a moment in episode 3 where Mikado stumbles into the three female bullies, and one utters "nani?" (about 13 minutes in). The subs translated it as "what, dork?" Obviously this caused me to switch to the English dub, and sure enough that was the dub line. I checked some other scenes, and the dub and sub script often differed slightly, and my Japanese isn't good enough to know whether the dub is simply a close translation, or if the subs themselves were based off of some preliminary dub script.

Durarara subs, y so bad? ;_;

Leave a comment:

• Talyn
    replied

Originally posted by 27CansOfTuna View Post
    Best blind buy ever, one of my favorite anime ever. (are they doing a season 2 or something?)
    I wish....

Leave a comment:

• 27CansOfTuna
    replied

Finished watching it all, best 150$ ever.

Not subbing the chat room scenes was a bit of a downside to the show really. Even though 85-90% were voiced by the characters, it was the ones unvoiced during a certain arc, that made it just seem like we were staring at JPN characters and missing some context :/ and it would have been nice to see as well. Oh well minor.

Best blind buy ever, one of my favorite anime ever. (are they doing a season 2 or something?)

Leave a comment:

• strikezero00
    replied

Screenshots via Blu-ray.com.

Leave a comment:

• Nork22
    replied

Originally posted by progress View Post
    The conclusion was they will ship outside of US/Canada. Note the chat was not about Durarara specifically, but another AoA product, but I expect the contract terms for all Aniplex stuff to be the same.
    I got the shipping notice a week ago but thanks for finding out. This means my Bakemonogatari order is still in place and awaiting for it to be shipped.

Leave a comment:

• Hayate Kurogane
    replied

Originally posted by chronoclast View Post
    The lack of sign subs was expected since they were obviously going to use the Japanese discs. I had already decided to wait for a cheaper re-release because I won't pay a premium for something that's lacking a basic feature like sign subs. The R1 DVDs have them, there's no reason for the BDs not to. The next time Aniplex does this sort of release where they re-use the Japanese BDs and there's a dub on them, they need to communicate to the Japanese side to include sign subs on the discs.
    That assumes, though, that even in situations where a U.S. studio like AoA is going to re-use Japanese discs, that the Japanese care enough to put a priority on such a possibility that doing additional foreign language subtitle tracks (yes, "foreign" is the right word in context, since these are Japanese products) is worthwhile. The shared nominal corporate moniker does not mean that a tightly-integrated corporate structure exists, such that anything AoA says means that Aniplex the parent will seriously take it into account in regards to what its Japanese production division may or may not do, any more so than Geneon USA was able to have Dentsu influence Geneon Japan, or Bandai Ent. able to have Namco Bandai Japan influence Bandai Visual. AoA may be an Aniplex SBU, but that doesn't mean the parent company necessarily cares about what Henry Goto has to say regarding AoA's primary market, despite the fact that they probably should. There's been progress made in terms of Japanese studios simply including English audio and subtitle tracks at all, and then having a few of those products exported to the U.S. in lieu of more traditional licenses, but that doesn't mean the Japanese production and home media management entities are that interested in catering to that tiny slice of a customer base, for better or worse, at least not at this point in time. That's a learning curve that's going to be hard-fought, despite the motivation for such releases actually being a minimal-investment method to earn additional sales from international English-speaking customers importing those releases.

This is also not a planned simultaneous release like Gundam Unicorn, and for a time seemed unlikely to happen at all given Durarara's underperformance on DVD in the U.S. If either of those conditions had been better, there likely would have been a better possibility of the Japanese discs being designed to be more U.S.-oriented in terms of including a separate signs+songs track, as there could have been more of a plan in place for a dual release. I think it still would have been unlikely, again given the lack of priority (or perhaps simply perception of usefulness) regarding such a feature, but the odds would have been better.

Leave a comment:

• Hayate Kurogane
    replied

Originally posted by Diakia89 View Post
    Originally posted by jfs_87 View Post
    How many subtitle tracks are included? I remember a fair bit of Japanese text in the series. Is there a track specifically for those?
    There are only two subtitle tracks and neither one is dedicated to just translate Japanese text/signs unfortunately.
    I was doing my best to try and warn folks of the possibility beforehand, here and elsewhere, that this release would likely just include identical re-pressings of the Japanese discs, and therefore be without a signs+songs subtitle track. I suppose I should have posted more warnings?

Leave a comment:

• chronoclast
    replied

The lack of sign subs was expected since they were obviously going to use the Japanese discs. I had already decided to wait for a cheaper re-release because I won't pay a premium for something that's lacking a basic feature like sign subs. The R1 DVDs have them, there's no reason for the BDs not to. The next time Aniplex does this sort of release where they re-use the Japanese BDs and there's a dub on them, they need to communicate to the Japanese side to include sign subs on the discs.

Leave a comment:

• Shiroi Hane
    replied

The chatroom scenes are a nightmare for subtitling.

Leave a comment:

• Sensuifu
    replied

Originally posted by Legion View Post
    How many subtitle tracks are included? I remember a fair bit of Japanese text in the series. Is there a track specifically for those?
    There are only two subtitle tracks and neither one is dedicated to just translate Japanese text/signs unfortunately.
    *sighs* It can't be that hard to add a limited subtitle track to the North American version, can it? R.O.D. the TV added a subtitle stream to the North American version while still keeping the discs the same as the Japanese BD set, right? Or do the Japanese BDs also have English subs?
    Depends. If subbing for text/signs that need placement all over the place, then typesetting those can be time consuming. Static, long-extended images can be done quickly. Text with moving action without overlaying the actual action- needs more time and can be more difficult depending on the level/amount of transformations that may be applied.

Leave a comment:

• Legion
    replied

*sighs* It can't be that hard to add a limited subtitle track to the North American version, can it? R.O.D. the TV added a subtitle stream to the North American version while still keeping the discs the same as the Japanese BD set, right? Or do the Japanese BDs also have English subs?

Leave a comment:

• jfs_87
    replied

How inconvenient. I'm sure most anime fans would love to know that they are getting Japanese discs, but as someone who enjoys the dub, this will be difficult to watch. I do wish this news had been known beforehand. The approach at keeping the discs the same as the Japanese feels like little effort went into this. I surely couldn't have been that hard to print new discs designed for English speakers could it?

Leave a comment:

• Diakia89
    replied

Leave a comment:

Widgets Magazine
Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
Widgets Magazine
Working...
X