Widgets Magazine

Video quality of re-releases of earlier Funimation titles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [R1 DVD] Video quality of re-releases of earlier Funimation titles?

Widgets Magazine
    Some of Funi's earlier titles were released with less than stellar video quality initially; for example, the singles releases of Fullmetal Alchemist and Moon Phase. Since their authoring has improved since then, I'm wondering if later releases were any better in terms of video quality, for some or all of their problematic titles. On the one hand, the later sets probably have more episodes per disc, but on the other hand, their encoding has improved, and the initial releases didn't really benefit from lower episode counts anyway.

So, has anyone made any comparisons, or have any knowledge about whether there are any observable improvements? Or are they of about the same low quality of the original sets?

Re: Video quality of re-releases of earlier Funimation titles?

I've heard Fruits Basket is a considerable improvement.
    "Pledge $1000 or more: I will yell your name really loud while I chase a duck."
    -My Collection
    --[plug] I review and blog about anime at Akemi's Anime World [/plug]

Comment

I can verify fruits basket. Funimation remastered it for the last release and it is a major improvement.

Comment

I think BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad was another one. I don't think I have seen comparison shots of any of the mentioned series so far.

Comment

Samurai Champloo (Anime Classics) release has improved video.

Comment

I can confirm the Anime Classics release of Kiddy Grade has improved video.
            "WHO ARE YOU CALLING A RUNT SO TINY HE CAN ONLY BE SEEN THROUGH A MAGNIFYING GLASS, YOU JERK!!!!" - Edward Elric

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
              I recall the PQ for that was better than the previous BD release but also for DVD?
              While on the subject is this only for DVD re-releases getting better Vid Quality or also include BD titles from Funi?

Comment

Originally posted by strikezero00 View Post
                Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
                I recall the PQ for that was better than the previous BD release but also for DVD?
                While on the subject is this only for DVD re-releases getting better Vid Quality or also include BD titles from Funi?
                I was really mainly thinking of DVD re-releases, to be honest, but if there is some title that happened to get released in that timeframe that got a later and improved BD release (maybe something like Gunslinger Girl, say, although I've no idea whether that was considered a decent quality BD) I suppose it couldn't hurt to mention it.

I doubt that there are many BD titles that would fall in that category anyway, since most of Funi's earlier titles were SD, and I don't believe very many were ever released on Blu-ray (and most of the few that were, like Basilisk and Witchblade, were agreed to also be horrible upscales). Trading awful for terrible isn't exactly a worthwhile upgrade.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine
                Working...
                X