Widgets Magazine

Animeigo and Bubblegum Crisis on BD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [US BD] Animeigo and Bubblegum Crisis on BD?

Widgets Magazine
    Found this quote from a fan on the Discotek facebook page:

Originally posted by Daniel Zelter
    This is pretty much unrelated, but since the fanbase for this one crosses over with Discotek's fanbase, I asked Animeigo about Bubblegum Crisis on BD, and Woodhead e-mailed me the following response: "Of our current titles, it's probably the most likely thing to get Blu-Ray'd. But more than that I won't say. R"
    I had been thinkling about getting the remastered BGC DVD set lately, but this would make me think twice if true. From what I've heard the Japanese BD was really good, just about the definitive edition of BGC for most people, so it would obviously be great if we got that over here. I do hope Animeigo does this, I always found it a shame that they're basically sitting on most of their anime titles and letting the licenses expire, which is an agonizing process for some fans of their titles.

(Also, Dagger of Kamui really needs an upgraded release. Badly.)
    Last edited by llj; 10-03-2012, 03:09 PM.

Re: Animeigo and Bubblegum Crisis on BD

Considering Animeigo's effectively total withdrawal from the anime market, I have a really hard time believing that they would go back and re-release a title on BD; I'd think that it would be far more likely for someone like Sentai to pick it up and re-release it. If someone were to release it, I'd definitely buy it, but I won't be holding my breath waiting for Animeigo to release it (or any other anime at all).

Comment

I agree with your general sentiment. However, Bubblegum Crisis was basically THE Animeigo title at one time. Even if they've cut off their anime ties, it was at one time their flagship title, so even if they never did anything else related to anime again, it's certainly possible BGC would be the exception to the rule. And after all, they released it on DVD about 3 times, more than any other anime title of theirs I can think of.
      Last edited by llj; 10-03-2012, 03:30 PM.

Comment

They are at a time they are letting anime releases expire regardless who many times it has been re-released. I have a difficult time believing that they would release any anime on Blu-ray. I guess it can't rule anything out. I personally just don't see this one happening.

Comment

Once on VHS in each of sub & dub (apart from the Hurricane videos which were only sub), twice on LD - sub only, then hybrid (same eps sub 1 side, dub other), then as llj said thrice on DVD - jewel cases MDK(?)prism box set, Animeigo release & re-mastered DVDs.

All from memory, some I might be wrong somewhere...

I bought the Bandai set, but would definitely get one from AE. Nice to have BG Crash remastered somehow as well.

Comment

I asked Robert this, about 1 year ago, of course his view could have changed by then or is still the same.

Originally posted by Robert Woodhead
            I would love to do it but it is very unclear if it is economically feasible given the current market.

Comment

Originally posted by Tratious View Post
              I asked Robert this, about 1 year ago, of course his view could have changed by then or is still the same.

Originally posted by Robert Woodhead
              I would love to do it but it is very unclear if it is economically feasible given the current market.
              It's possible for both "most likely to get a BD release" and "not economically feasible in this market" to be true; they don't have to be mutually exclusive. Which is another reason those quotes don't mean much.

Comment

What it does indicate is that they still are interested in their BGC property, though they're still weighing their options about it, unlike their other anime titles which they seem pretty happy to just let expire and wash their hands of them (okay, maybe not quite that cold-blooded, but you get the picture)

They only recently started going into BDs, and just released a Lone Wolf and Cub BD set, so I think if we're going to hear *anything* about BGC BDs, it would most likely be sometime next year.

Comment

Originally posted by llj View Post
                  What it does indicate is that they still are interested in their BGC property, though they're still weighing their options about it, unlike their other anime titles which they seem pretty happy to just let expire and wash their hands of them (okay, maybe not quite that cold-blooded, but you get the picture)

They only recently started going into BDs, and just released a Lone Wolf and Cub BD set, so I think if we're going to hear *anything* about BGC BDs, it would most likely be sometime next year.
                  There is some truth in that; I doubt an e-mail asking about, say, a Vampire Princess Miyu Blu-ray release would have gotten a response even that positive. I'm still skeptical that they'll ever actually release anything, though.

Comment

I have asked Animeigo recently about releasing anime again. Rob Woodhead gave the same generic response. I doubt Animeigo will release or re-release anymore anime.
                    Blu-ray/DVD Collection / MAL / IMDB
                    Most wanted anime licenses: Kodomo No Omocha, Pumpkin Wine, Maison Ikkoku Movie/OVA, Tokimeki Tonight, Nurse Angel Ririka SOS, Windaria, End of Summer
                    Most wanted live action Blu-Ray releases: Blood Beach (1980), Looking for Mr. Goodbar (1977), Malibu Bikini Shop (1986), Streets of Fire (1984), Dead of Night (1945)

Comment

Yeah, highly doubtful. I would definitely rebuy Bubblegum Crisis on blu-ray though.

Comment

Re: Animeigo and Bubblegum Crisis on BD?

I don't know if the parent company would allow it, but Discteck could sub-license BGC from Animeigo and release it on BD.
                        Formerly "Mazinkaizer" at AOD

Comment

Originally posted by Shin Mazinger View Post
                          I don't know if the parent company would allow it, but Discteck could sub-license BGC from Animeigo and release it on BD.
                          You're assuming that Animeigo has the rights to release a BD version in the first place, which isn't necessarily the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Glorian View Post
                            You're assuming that Animeigo has the rights to release a BD version in the first place, which isn't necessarily the case.
                            That would have made things easy for Discoteck and they could have just licenses it from the parent company. But I think that they asked Animeigo because they can't do that for now at least.
                            Formerly "Mazinkaizer" at AOD

Comment

Originally posted by Glorian View Post
                              That would have made things easy for Discoteck and they could have just licenses it from the parent company. But I think that they asked Animeigo because they can't do that for now at least.
                              Discotek didn't ask Animeigo anything (as far as we know); that first message came off of Discotek's Facebook page, but it was a comment from someone posting to Discotek's page, not anyone from Discotek.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X