Widgets Magazine

Do you think Funimation will ever upconvert the first FMA series to BD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [US BD] Do you think Funimation will ever upconvert the first FMA series to BD?

Widgets Magazine
    Out of curiousity. My g/f has the discs from when they first came out, but they take up so much space compared to the rererereleased box sets that I was thinking of picking those up for her. However, it just came to my that I do not want to do that in case Funi decides to release it on BD. Do you think they will or should I just get her the new sets?

Re: Do you think Funimation will ever upconvert the first FMA series to BD?

It would make sense for FUNi to release the original series in BD. However if Japan doesn't get the BD treatment, I don't think we will either.

Comment

It also depends on what kind of maters funi has. More directly, did the DVD's look so bad because of low quality masters, or because of low quality compression. But since Brotherhood is close to finishing up it's release, it'd be a good time for them to think about it.
      -Keith

Comment

If it were available, Funi would do it for sure. But it depends on what happens on the Japanese end of things. But I do think it will eventually be here given its profile and everything.
        Avatar: Mahiru Shiina, The Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten
        Watching: Dai-Guard, Black Summoner, Vermeil in Gold, Rumble Garanndoll
        Simulcasts: MSG, TYE, BLE, GKY, CSM, EOC, ESW, MOB, DIY, AMW, UYA, ARK, MHA, ALB, UZC, SXF, KKR, BTR, UWM, BLK
        A dedicated anime fan fan since 1997.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
          It also depends on what kind of maters funi has. More directly, did the DVD's look so bad because of low quality masters, or because of low quality compression. But since Brotherhood is close to finishing up it's release, it'd be a good time for them to think about it.
          The original volume 4 disc had some major video quality issues that I can't imagine were attributable to the masters, though no one has ever confirmed whether or not those same episodes on any of the subsequently-released collections have any noticeable issues (but I keep asking just in case someone ever bothers to check).
          asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
          Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
          Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

Well, Amazon has them for $23 a piece, so I ordered them from there. Hopefully they won't announce them on BD any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Hayate Kurogane View Post
              The original volume 4 disc had some major video quality issues that I can't imagine were attributable to the masters, though no one has ever confirmed whether or not those same episodes on any of the subsequently-released collections have any noticeable issues (but I keep asking just in case someone ever bothers to check).
              I thought it was Volume 3? Didn't it have major pixelation, ghosting, and blockage? Not to mention it would only work on a few of my DVD players.

Anyway, I got my set from Amazon yesterday and wow, the sets are smaller than they looked. I was able to fit all 8 cases and the movie into the first tin box the Special Edition version of the first volume came with. Plus, I did not know they changed the discs. I thought they were all 13 discs just in thinpacks, not that they were brand new discs and everything with 6-7 episodes on a disc. The only thing I do not like is their choice of cover art. It is odd having the first disc have Riza and Roy on it instead of Ed or Al. Heck, Al does not even get a cover until disc 8, which is the one when

Spoiler ->he has become the Philosophers's Stone.

Last edited by Hayate Kurogane; 05-26-2011, 10:12 AM. Reason: Added spoiler tags, just to be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadlyMessiah View Post
                I thought it was Volume 3? Didn't it have major pixelation, ghosting, and blockage? Not to mention it would only work on a few of my DVD players.
                It might have been. I'd only been lent those singles from a friend, so I don't own them to re-check, but it could have been. Whichever volume it was, it was easily one of the worst-looking DVDs I'd ever seen. Embarrassingly so.

So, with that being said, given that you've grabbed one of the newer sets with discs reauthored to cram more episodes on each disc, can you skim the episodes in question to see if they fixed any of that garbage?
                asa --> S^2 --> Hayate
                Avatar: Lind, Valkyrie, Goddess First-Class Special Duty Unlimited, from "Aa, Megami-sama: Hunters & Hunters"
                Moderator: US, JP, GA, RC, GD, CA, S/T, OT, MB

Comment

(I thought it was Volume 2, personally, but I haven't watched them in years so I am probably mistaken.)

Yes! Please watch the episodes and let us know! The episodes in question were so bad I would buy one of the rereleases for those episodes just to get a step-up in video quality (it was VERY bad - I remember that much).

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine
                  Working...
                  X