Spice and Wolf (Seasons 1 & 2)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Spice and Wolf (Seasons 1 & 2)

It was mentioned by einhorn303 in the Spice & Wolf sub-forum, but it's hard to tell how often FUNi's staff checks those show forums.
    My animé & figure collections
    Hummingbird
    || Tweeterings
    XBL: TakenIdiot / PSN: ishikusui

Comment

Originally posted by bluesilo View Post
      I contacted Rightstuf with my intent to return the discs and they informed me they have sent word to Funimation asking for a response.

Yes you could just watch the JP audio and be done with it, but I paid for a dual language release, and I want what I paid for. This may not matter for some, but if Funimation is allowed to get away with this here who knows where it will be stopped.
      Well, in my case, I never watched a series dub. But, even if I don't listen to it, it doesn't mean I don't care. Since I would feel like saying: FUNi even if you make mistakes, I don't care, I'll still buy from you.

Comment

Originally posted by EyeOfPain View Post
        It was mentioned by einhorn303 in the Spice & Wolf sub-forum, but it's hard to tell how often FUNi's staff checks those show forums.
        Not in a real technical "this is a serious problem" way, though.
        The Post's Most Wanted Manga | Fandom Post -Female Anime Character Ranking-

Avatar: Ange Ushiromiya of Umineko no Naku Koro ni (When the Seagulls Cry).

Comment

I've watched episodes 1-6 twice in English already before moving forward (to revisit details I may have missed, with some subs and switching to jp audio during the replay) so this isn't unwatchable as is. But the faint and flat English dub audio is indeed unfortunate, and annoying enough that I've chosen to acknowledge it in this thread in case Funimation is looking for more input.

And given that I strongly prefer watching (well acted) English dubs, the jp dub being technically more solid here does nothing to assuage my disappointment.
          Last edited by StratosBlitz; 08-24-2011, 10:25 AM.
          Watching: Seven Deadly Sins (stream), Blood Blockade Battlefront (BD), Casshan (BD)
          Reading: Wolfsmund v7, Corpse Princess v5 (digital), Spice and Wolf Novel 16

Comment

Originally posted by StratosBlitz View Post
            I've watched episodes 1-6 twice in English already before moving forward (to revisit details I may have missed, with some subs and switching to jp audio during the replay) so this isn't unwatchable as is. But the faint and flat English dub audio is indeed unfortunate, and annoying enough that I've chosen to acknowledge it in this thread in case Funimation is looking for more input.

And given that I strongly prefer watching (well acted) English dubs, the jp dub being technically more solid here does nothing to assuage my disappointment.
            Yeah... I think I've heard enough to cancel my order. Thanks everyone and I'll keep an eye out to see if FUNi fixes this (hopefully soon).

Comment

Originally posted by PosterAnonymous View Post
              ...stuff to be disregarded...
              Yeah... I think I've heard enough to cancel my order. Thanks everyone and I'll keep an eye out to see if FUNi fixes this (hopefully soon).
              I want to note (and happily so since this is a favorite series) that you should now DISREGARD my quoted comments on this issue. The relatively "faint and flat" audio I was noting was very true, but after spending time putting in and double-checking other blu-rays, DVDs, and combo packs--for which all DVDs were louder than their blu-ray counterparts, including the DVD for S&W2--I discovered that my blu-ray audio (not DVD) was compromised.

Specifically, on this Panasonic DMP-BD60 I had "BD-Video Secondary Audio" set to "On". When turned off the blu-ray audio was as expected fuller and the volume needs no compensation. I might not have noticed this if not for S&W being such a quiet show, with minimal action and explosions to cloud the issue.

Might a similar setting correction help others who had low volume concerns? Perhaps. Regardless, I wanted this personal correction out there ASAP since the show has not yet reached its formal release date.
              Watching: Seven Deadly Sins (stream), Blood Blockade Battlefront (BD), Casshan (BD)

Comment

Might a similar setting correction help others who had low volume concerns? Perhaps. Regardless, I wanted this personal correction out there ASAP since the show has not yet reached its formal release date.
                Unfortunately, the release is still mono. I've done the same, testing many variables and listening for any differences. While there may be settings that make the audio 'sound better', the results didn't change the fact it outputs as mono.

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post

Unfortunately, the release is still mono. I've done the same, testing many variables and listening for any differences. While there may be settings that make the audio 'sound better', the results didn't change the fact it outputs as mono.
                  This is explicitly why I am primarily focusing my comments on the volume concerns that had raised my hackles. There is now no disparity in volume that I need compensate for (fainter eng 5.1 vs jp 2.0), regardless of the underlying (apparently) questionable technical quality of the audio offering. Mono or not--and I've seen and am not disputing your capable underlying analysis--it does indeed "sound better" now. So much so that I felt compelled to make the retraction.

The player settings change of course also made significant improvement on others such as the Casshern Sins bluray that I double-checked. The English dub audio is louder and clearer now, and a major explosion such as that set off by Jin and company in mid-Ep 11 is that much more impressive, not just louder but with (apparently, mind) better definition.

FYI, it was one of your helpful earlier posts that triggered this investigation. You wrote that the audio problems affected both the DVD and Bluray. Since I belatedly checked the DVDs and to my surprise they played the English 5.1 track much louder than the Blus, thus triggering a check of the player's Blu-specific audio settings to see what was wrong (in terms of volume).
                  Last edited by StratosBlitz; 08-29-2011, 12:37 AM. Reason: last bit added

Comment

This is explicitly why I am primarily focusing my comments on the volume concerns that had raised my hackles. There is now no disparity in volume that I need compensate for (fainter eng 5.1 vs jp 2.0), regardless of the underlying (apparently) questionable technical quality of the audio offering. Mono or not--and I've seen and am not disputing your capable underlying analysis--it does indeed "sound better" now. So much so that I felt compelled to make the retraction.

The player settings change of course also made significant improvement on others such as the Casshern Sins bluray that I double-checked. The English dub audio is louder and clearer now, and a major explosion such as that set off by Jin and company in mid-Ep 11 is that much more impressive, not just louder but with (apparently, mind) better definition.

FYI, it was one of your helpful earlier posts that triggered this investigation. You wrote that the audio problems affected both the DVD and Bluray. Since I belatedly checked the DVDs and to my surprise they played the English 5.1 track much louder than the Blus, thus triggering a check of the player's Blu-specific audio settings to see what was wrong (in terms of volume).
                    I definitely understand what you're saying; just to clarify what I meant- it's just that while you pointed out that the volume level was an issue on your setup, my main concern is the underlying 'flat/mono/dead' audio characteristic present on both versions.

At least on my setup, even though disabling secondary audio balances the gain issue, the audiotrack still sounds dead, with minimal dynamics from the sfx/bgm/etc. Yes, it sounds louder, but upon careful listening, I noticed the center channel is significantly louder than the other channels even when downmixed. I calibrated the individual channels/speakers, so those shouldn't be an issue. To my ears, even with whatever DSPs might color the sound (as I was expecting to hear, but didn't due to the track inherently being mono) the audio just doesn't sound right regardless the mode it's outputted as.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not debating the issue you had with the volume on your setup, that's understandable; I'm just stating the fact that the audio is inherently flat/mono and shouldn't need to be corrected by viewer intervention to change audio settings that might not even apply to different setups. But thanks for bringing that issue up as it may be helpful to some who aren't so anal about the overall SQ.

Comment

Fair enough. Though just to clarify, the setting I noted was compromising the original surround audio on ALL my blurays. The focus of turning the setting off was not to artificially improve things but to stop making them worse. The specific "relative volume" issue between audio tracks on the S&W2 bluray was not an issue with the S&W2 DVD and ultimately wasn't Funi's fault.

For those who missed it, the problematic setting on my Panasonic player was the Bitstream/BD-Video Secondary Audio switch under Digital Audio Output. It explicitly states "If you want to enjoy the original audio, please set BD-Video Secondary Audio to 'Off'".

But as has been noted, the larger issue of the overall method, intent, and quality of the technical delivery of the English dub audio remains. It still comes off as thin and at times has to fight for balance against the bg/music. But it is now on much more of an even keel for me now, and for the moment I'm just happy to be able to hear it. It certainly doesn't need me to boost the volume 50 percent anymore.
                      Last edited by StratosBlitz; 08-29-2011, 02:37 PM. Reason: acknowledge below w/o adding new post

Comment

Is the mono output a possible reason why I feel that the BGM track is quite a bit louder than the dialogue? When watching the DVDs, I had to crank up the volume of my Receiver around 7dB to even hear some of the spoken things but of course the BGM track got louder as well.

Is it just me or is the person on the mixing console deaf for volume differences below 20dB?

Comment

Originally posted by Uzi View Post
                          Is the mono output a possible reason why I feel that the BGM track is quite a bit louder than the dialogue? When watching the DVDs, I had to crank up the volume of my Receiver around 7dB to even hear some of the spoken things but of course the BGM track got louder as well.

Is it just me or is the person on the mixing console deaf for volume differences below 20dB?
                          Check your setup, in particular the volume setting for the center channel. It's common that the LC/RC will sound louder than the center if they aren't calibrated (mainly because you're driving two speakers versus one). But if all the channels are set to equal output, the center will sound a bit louder during playback.

Comment

Check your setup, in particular the volume setting for the center channel. It's common that the LC/RC will sound louder than the center if they aren't calibrated (mainly because you're driving two speakers versus one). But if all the channels are set to equal output, the center will sound a bit louder during playback.
                            I just re-did the level setting of the speakers (the receiver has a test tone for that purpose) and one front speaker was indeed off but only 1dB (according to the display). I doubt it'll change much. Somehow I get the feeling it's either a weird problem of my setup (DVD player connected via optical to receiver) or there are differences between the setups how this kind of output is handled.

My remark regarding the "deafness" was more directed towards the difference I often see (better: hear) between english track and japanese track (or menu track and japanese track) when the menu and/or english track have a way higher level and I have to turn down the volume on the receiver while menu/ english track is on and turn it back up when japanese track is on. On my receiver the display sometimes shows a difference of 10-12dB which is a little bit high IMHO.

Comment

No new updates from me: Waiting for Rightstuf and Blu-ray.com to get word back from Funimation.
                              Impassionedcinema Thank You, Sentai! Ef Blu-ray is amazing!
                              Avatar: Shana - Shakugan no Shana (Jun Kuga)

Comment

Originally posted by Uzi View Post
                                Or probably not paid enough to care.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X