Spice and Wolf (Seasons 1 & 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spice and Wolf (Seasons 1 & 2)

As bad as Champloo and TSR? Perhaps not. But let's not forget that those shows had lower resolution imagery to start with, so even a DC/UC (which is what we have here) will almost inevitably end up looking better, even if they screwed it up.

But forget semantics; this release is an utter failure on every level. You don't upscale shows that have HD masters. You just don't f***ing do it. If you can't GET HD masters when you know they exist, release the show on DVD only and move on.

Comment

Not on every level, it still has lossless audio.

Comment

Originally posted by hissatsu View Post
        Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
        Originally posted by WTK View Post
        via old forum
        Originally posted by hissatsu
        Don't know where he got the idea it wasn't an upscale.

Not sure where I said it wasn't either.
        Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
        (DC-UC tests show better than SD scaling)
        From that line. It gives the impression you don't think it's an upscale. At least that's how I read it, and at least a couple more people.
        I can see why it can be misinterpreted, but hopefully my explanation clears that. Technically, the DC-UC comp I did resolved a better image from the BD compared to the direct DVD-upscale. I would've done a upDVD-BD comp, but I think at this point it's pretty pointless. Anyway, thanks for the JP screencaps; it at least gives something FUNi can use to reevaluate their video failures against.

Comment

Originally posted by Kakugo View Post
          As bad as Champloo and TSR? Perhaps not. But let's not forget that those shows had lower resolution imagery to start with, so even a DC/UC (which is what we have here) will almost inevitably end up looking better, even if they screwed it up.
          Good point, although how sure are we of the stored resolution of the master they used for this upscale? For all we know they're using exactly the same thing they used for the DVDs. Regardless at what resolution it was produced at, if stored as a SD master, all you're getting is just that. And you already know the new release of Champloo is better than the original release, which definitely is better than the DVDs regardless being SD.

Comment

I have no doubt that all FUNi has is an SD master (Digibeta or whatever) - but that, in turn, had to have come from the HD source at some point. I didn't meant to imply that FUNi was intentionally screwing the pooch on this one, just that Spice and Wolf on Digi probably looked better than shows like Fullmetal Panic TSR and Basilisk or what have you did, and that all factors into the final result regardless of what else FUNimation does to try and "fix" it.

The new Champloo encode looks... better. Not great perhaps, but not nearly as bad as their first release and that's a step in the right direction.

Let's not forget that FUNi's Ga-Rei Zero upscale wasn't as nice compared to the JP release, or that another recent release (Gungrave) is full of pretty nasty DVNR/warpsharpened edges. FUNi has been incredibly hit or miss this year with non-native HD titles, and after Mnemosyne (which was pretty much perfect) I just can't fathom why they're actually getting WORSE at upscaling SD content.

Comment

I've sent off an order to Rightstuf to cancel this...but it's probably too late since its status is already "Processing."

It's not so much "I don't want my money to support Funimation's business practices here!," but "I don't want my money to support the Japanese licensor's business practices here!" If HD materials exist, I expect them on the US release.
              The Post's Most Wanted Manga | Fandom Post -Female Anime Character Ranking-

Avatar: Ange Ushiromiya of Umineko no Naku Koro ni (When the Seagulls Cry).

Comment

I want a season 1 combo pack

Comment

I'm more annoyed that they're releasing the season 2 blu-ray set in a a DVD case. They're putting out the BR for season 1 in a BR case, and the box with Season 2 is meant to hold both seasons, they they use different packaging.

Get your act together funimation.

Comment

Originally posted by DrForester View Post
                    I'm more annoyed that they're releasing the season 2 blu-ray set in a a DVD case. They're putting out the BR for season 1 in a BR case, and the box with Season 2 is meant to hold both seasons, they they use different packaging.

Get your act together funimation.
                    And if they made the packaging and box Blu-ray sized, then the people who bought the DVD version (the people who bought the show originally, and whose purchases made licensing season 2 seem worthwhile) would complain because it wouldn't match season 1, and that their season 1 release wouldn't even fit in the box. If they made the case for season 2 Blu-ray but left the box DVD size, then you'd probably complain because the box was too tall for two Blu-ray cases (even if you didn't, there are people who would), and the people who bought the DVD version could still complain that their cases didn't match.

In other words, they're going to make someone mad whatever they do, and if they did it your way, they'd be alienating customers that were first release adopters (probably not the customers that a company should be encouraging to wait for a later re-release, or to pass on the LE version of a release).

And personally, I detest Blu-ray cases. I wish they used DVD style packaging for Blu-ray releases all the time, and I'm not the only person who feels that way. So not even all of the Blu-ray purchasing segment would agree with your perspective.

Comment

Or they could do what every other company who releases stuff on Blu-Ray and includes a DVD does and stay consistent with the BR cases and stop being cheap because they don't want to spring for new packaging.

My complaint pretty much comes as a result of having a shelf or Blu-Rays and to fit in an extra shelf, It's set to BR case size. At the very least Funi could include the BR and DVD cases in those sets like Ga-Rei zero that have two case sin them anyways.

As for this, I would imagine they'd want to appease the people giving them more money. I.E. people buying and/or double dipping for the Blu-Rays.
                      Last edited by DrForester; 08-12-2011, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Or they could do what every other company who releases stuff on Blu-Ray and includes a DVD does and stay consistent with the BR cases and stop being cheap because they don't want to spring for new packaging.
                        In this case, consistency with the original release would require DVD packaging, not Blu-ray. You completely ignored all of my points as to the possible issues with Funi doing what you want.

My complaint pretty much comes as a result of having a shelf or Blu-Rays and to fit in an extra shelf, It's set to BR case size. At the very least Funi could include the BR and DVD cases in those sets like Ga-Rei zero that have two case sin them anyways.
                        If they did that, you still couldn't fit the release on your shelves because the box would be DVD size, so how would that help?

As for this, I would imagine they'd want to appease the people giving them more money. I.E. people buying and/or double dipping for the Blu-Rays.
                        The retail price of the original DVD release was $59.99. The retail price of the blu-ray release is $49.99. The people who originally bought the show (like me) paid more than you. They flat out are not getting larger amounts of money from you, or buyers like you. Double-dippers, sure, but how many are there outside of a tiny hardcore circle? And how many of them actually care about the packaging difference?

Sorry, but I think you're letting your personal wishes bias your perspective. Funi isn't being unreasonable here, and they don't need to "get their act together" with these releases.
                        Last edited by Glorian; 08-12-2011, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Doesn't change that every major BR release on BR comes in a Blu-Ray package, even if it has a DVD with it. The only exception I know of being a few Disney releases that come in DVD + BR sets or BR + DVD sets. When I'm talking uniform packaging, that's what I'm talking about.

Comment

But these aren't "major" BD releases. These are releases from a company in a niche segment of the entertainment industry doing what they believe necessary to net a profit. If you don't like it, no one's forcing you to buy their product. Maybe FUNi will start re-releasing some of these combo packs in BD cases sometime next year.
                            My animé & figure collections
                            Hummingbird
                            || Tweeterings
                            XBL: TakenIdiot / PSN: ishikusui

Comment

Originally posted by Glorian View Post
                              Sorry, but I think you're letting your personal wishes bias your perspective. Funi isn't being unreasonable here, and they don't need to "get their act together" with these releases.
                              Had they followed the pattern they set with the RideBack, To, and Ga-Rei Zero BD/DVD Combos and released S&W Season 1 as a BD/DVD Combo (only a couple of bucks extra to include DVD's in the package) packed in a regular DVD case, they would have gotten a sale from me for both that and the Season 2 LE.

Sorry, but their marketing department was asleep as the switch on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by stfram View Post
                                Originally posted by Glorian View Post
                                Had they followed the pattern they set with the RideBack, To, and Ga-Rei Zero BD/DVD Combos and released S&W Season 1 as a BD/DVD Combo (only a couple of bucks extra to include DVD's in the package) packed in a regular DVD case, they would have gotten a sale from me for both that and the Season 2 LE.

Sorry, but their marketing department was asleep as the switch on this one.
                                Ah, but I was talking about their season 2 release of Spice and Wolf (and the type of packaging used) and that style of release in general when I said that. From your comments, that's exactly the type of release you want. Season 1 was only brought up in comparison.

I agree that a combo set of the first season would have been nice, and I don't think that's an unreasonable complaint. I personally wish that Funi had started with combo pack releases a lot sooner.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X