Widgets Magazine

[Discotek Media] Animal Treasure Island, Puss 'n Boots, Taro the Dragon Boy are now OOP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [R1 DVD] [Discotek Media] Animal Treasure Island, Puss 'n Boots, Taro the Dragon Boy are now OOP!

Widgets Magazine
    RightStuf.com has removed the listing for Puss 'n Boots. Same thing can be said for Amazon.com (available only through marketplace). It's currently still listed for sale ($14.95) on Discotek Media's store. Will this movie really be the first anime release from Discotek Media to go OOP?

A quick re-hash of the release details is as seen below:
    Originally released in 1969 in Japan, and later released as "The Wonderful World of Puss 'n' Boots" in the US, the film was directed by Kimio Yabuki (Swan Lake) and features key animation by Hayao Miyazaki (My Neighbor Totoro, Castle of Cagliostro, among others). Loosely based on Charles Perrault's original book "Le Maitre Chat Ou Le Chat Botte," the film is beautifully scored by Seiichiro Uno (Jack and the Witch).

This DVD releases features the original Japanese language version available for the first time ever in the US. It also includes the very rare Fred Ladd English-dubbed version.

DVD Features: Anamorphic Widescreen, Original 2.35:1 Aspect Ratio, Original Mono Soundtrack, Music and Effects Soundtrack, Theatrical Trailer, Photo Gallery of Rare Black and White Stills, Text Interviews with Creators.

Spoken Languages: English, Japanese, English subtitles.

Re: Discotek Media's Puss 'n Boots going OOP?

Figured I'd check on eBay for this DVD... and, well, I'll be damned... discotekmedia's eBay profile had it for sale for ten bucks with free shipping... snapped it up.
    Online profiles: ANN DVDAf eBay

Comment

It'll be a shame if it is heading OOP. Quite a fine little film. I'm glad I picked it up when I had the chance.

Comment

I own this movie already. With that said, I hope it's just another fulfillment/pressing issue and not another anime going OOP/expiring license. Thinking back (probably '06), I believe I remember seeing this movie and Taro the Dragon Boy @ my local Best Buy store.

Comment

Let's hope so. I can remember seeing it along with Animal Treasure Island in the Tower store at the local mall, probably somewhere around the same time.

Comment

As mentioned, Discotek still has it for sale at their own store for now. However, I noticed that they originally published this in May 2006, over six years ago (didn't realize they'd been around that long; I feel old). Maybe the license just isn't a particularly long one. Plenty of other titles have gone OOP much more quickly.

But yeah, it's sad to hear. I hope Discotek might consider taking a page from AnimEigo's book and let their loyal customers know when their licenses are set to expire.
            "Old School does not start at 2008!" -- David Williams
            Avatar: Rarity beckons you to join the Pony Legion.

Comment

I also had no idea Discotek had been around since 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by _PS_ View Post
                Same. When did they originally popup?
                Anime DVD/BD Easter Egg Index | MAL | Anime-Planet | Anime BDs | Anime DVDs | Manga | MFC

Comment

Originally posted by BigOnAnime View Post
                  Originally posted by _PS_ View Post
                  Same. When did they originally popup?
                  Checking their online store—which helpfully arranges titles by release date—the earliest thing they have on there is "Zero Woman", released October 25, 2005. Their first anime is "Animal Treasure Island", released three weeks later.
                  "Old School does not start at 2008!" -- David Williams
                  Avatar: Rarity beckons you to join the Pony Legion.

Comment

Originally posted by Soufriere View Post
                    As mentioned, Discotek still has it for sale at their own store for now.
                    I gave Discotek's store a try... They do not send an order confirmation when it's sent. I did receive Puss'n Boots today, it took 8 working days to arrive. It was sent in a bubble wrap mailer.
                    Last edited by ComSR; 07-27-2012, 07:24 AM.
                    Time never betrays dreams. But on the flip side, dreams must not betray time.

Comment

Originally posted by ComSR View Post
                      Originally posted by Soufriere View Post
                      As mentioned, Discotek still has it for sale at their own store for now.
                      I gave Discotek's store a try... They do not send an order confirmation when it's sent. I did receive Puss'n Boots today, it took 8 working days to arrive. It was sent in a bubble wrap mailer.
                      That sounds about right with the no order confirmation (and probably bubble warp mailer too). I only shopped there once many years ago.

Comment

Puss 'n Boots is still available @ Discotek Media store (for now?). There is still in-stock issues with many online retailers. TRSI still has it de-listed. The interesting prices below are from Amazon 3rd party venders.
                        2 new from $49.55 1 used from $999.99

Comment

Picked up my copy last year. It's on my schedule for next year as part of the "In Memoriam" track since the animator Akira Daikubara died earlier this year.

Comment

Re: [Discotek Media] Animal Treasure Island, Puss 'n Boots, Taro the Dragon Boy are now OOP!

Thread title updated.

http://www.discotekmedia.com/store.htm

Discotek Media's 3 earliest anime titles are now OOP.
                            - Animal Treasure Island
                            - Puss 'n Boots
                            - Taro the Dragon Boy

And off-topic: Lupin the Third Strange Psychokinetic Strategy (live-action) is also OOP.

Comment

Re: [Discotek Media] Animal Treasure Island, Puss 'n Boots, Taro the Dragon Boy are now OOP!

Originally posted by WTK View Post
                              And off-topic: Lupin the Third Strange Psychokinetic Strategy (live-action) is also OOP.
                              I see it's still available but I wouldn't be surprised if they let The Fuma Conspiracy go OOP soon since that didn't exactly sell well for them either.
                              Avatar: From Sailor Moon S Episode 118 "The Battle in a Demonic Dimension! The Sailor Soldier's Bet"

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X