Widgets Magazine

[dannychoo.com] Anime Industry - How to Recuperate Costs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [DVD/BD] [dannychoo.com] Anime Industry - How to Recuperate Costs?

Widgets Magazine
    Anime Industry - How to Recuperate Costs?

Some interesting bits of information and also some polls as well.

Re: [dannychoo.com] Anime Industry - How to Recuperate Costs?

It isn't exactly rocket science trying to figure out why certain shows are successful while others are not. Madoka, K-On! and Index are topping sales charts because the producers of those anime actually give a shit about what they are selling. A healthy budget, talented directors and respect for the source material goes a long way in the minds of many fans. It makes all the difference between spending 90 dollars on a 72 minute BD or just casually downloading it and not giving a shit if the project ends up canceled as a result. They must be doing something right if foreigners, who can download with impunity, are opening their wallets. It's pretty much the same logic behind why certain Hollywood movies bomb hard at the box office. People may be stupid in general, but most of them know when they are being shoveled shit.

The fact that they are flinging shit at the wall to see what sticks and becomes the next K-On! doesn't inspire much confidence in their ability to comprehend reality.
    Last edited by ProvidenceBreaker; 05-09-2011, 12:11 PM.
    Avatar: Misaka Mikoto, the Railgun. Level 5 Electromaster and Ace of Tokiwadai Middle School.

Comment

Originally posted by ProvidenceBreaker View Post
      It isn't exactly rocket science trying to figure out why certain shows are successful while others are not. Madoka, K-On! and Index are topping sales charts because the producers of those anime actually give a shit about what they are selling. A healthy budget, talented directors and respect for the source material goes a long way in the minds of many fans. It makes all the difference between spending 90 dollars on a 72 minute BD or just casually downloading it and not giving a shit if the project ends up canceled as a result. They must be doing something right if foreigners, who can download with impunity, are opening their wallets. It's pretty much the same logic behind why certain Hollywood movies bomb hard at the box office. People may be stupid in general, but most of them know when they are being shoveled shit.
      Hey, you said what I would have said, but you did it before me. Thumbs up.

Comment

Polls seemed like the most interesting part. Danny doesn't seem to offer any real insight, unless you count "Make better shows" as a new concept. And no, I don't.
        My animé & figure collections
        Hummingbird
        || Tweeterings
        XBL: TakenIdiot / PSN: ishikusui

Comment

Originally posted by Chacranajxy View Post
          Hey, you said what I would have said, but you did it before me. Thumbs up.
          I probably came off a bit harsh. It's easy to take R1 anime for granted. Anime is so cheap here that our standards aren't really all that high and we'll buy almost anything that seems remotely interesting. I look at my collection and realize probably half of what I own isn't worth what the Japanese are forced to pay for it. They want to know how to recuperate costs on mediocre releases? I'm really not sure there is a satisfactory answer to that question.
          Avatar: Misaka Mikoto, the Railgun. Level 5 Electromaster and Ace of Tokiwadai Middle School.

Comment

Originally posted by ProvidenceBreaker View Post

The fact that they are flinging shit at the wall to see what sticks and becomes the next K-On! doesn't inspire much confidence in their ability to comprehend reality.
            It's pretty much common sense why there are the ones that do well and the ones that don't. That pretty much sums up the main points.
            Avatar: Mahiru Shiina, The Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten
            Watching: Dai-Guard, Black Summoner, Vermeil in Gold, Rumble Garanndoll
            Simulcasts: MSG, TYE, BLE, GKY, CSM, EOC, ESW, MOB, DIY, AMW, UYA, ARK, MHA, ALB, UZC, SXF, KKR, BTR, UWM, BLK
            A dedicated anime fan fan since 1997.

Comment

Originally posted by EyeOfPain View Post
              Polls seemed like the most interesting part. Danny doesn't seem to offer any real insight, unless you count "Make better shows" as a new concept. And no, I don't.
              Danny's whole business relies upon attracting overseas fans and cleverly marketing them products (especially figures from companies like Good Smile Company). Think of it this way--he gets people to buy merch that would never be interested in buying DVDs. All of his posts really should be viewed through that lens. He's basically a genius at marketing to today's anime fans.

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
              It's pretty much common sense why there are the ones that do well and the ones that don't. That pretty much sums up the main points.
              I'm not so sure it is. Pre-season--before the first episode aired--was it really possible to predict whether or not Madoka or Fractal would sell more than the other? Obviously, some titles are obviously going to be hits if production values are high enough--the next Gundam won't flop. But for many shows, it's hard to separate why Azumanga was a success but Nichijou does not appear to be turning out that way. Hindsight is, of course, everything. But a year or more before the anime even airs when a proposal crosses someone desk? Especially when you get to the successful but not amazing titles.
              Last edited by Draneor; 05-09-2011, 11:38 PM.
              Clannad is Life, Da Capo is Pure Love, Higurashi is Ethics, & Tori no Uta is the National Anthem.

Comment

Originally posted by Draneor View Post
                Danny's whole business relies upon attracting overseas fans and cleverly marketing them products (especially figures from companies like Good Smile Company).
                It did seem odd that the one article had about a dozen pics of that Ore no Imouto nendoroid. When you say it like that, it kinda makes sense, but I guess I just don't see the appeal.
                Hummingbird
                || Tweeterings

Comment

Originally posted by EyeOfPain View Post
                  It did seem odd that the one article had about a dozen pics of that Ore no Imouto nendoroid. When you say it like that, it kinda makes sense, but I guess I just don't see the appeal.
                  People like to offer up their opinions and create user-generated content. Danny gives them that opportunity. As a platform, his website is brilliant. It's kind of like what CR does, actually. Obviously, no fan is going to solve the Japanese industry's woes (especially if they offer comments that lowering prices would increase sales by 30x). But everyone has an opinion and wants to be heard, right? And if they buy a figure or a towel so much the better.

I don't visit the site myself much these days. I actually don't have an issue with commercializing overseas otaku culture, but, generally speaking, I prefer to read stuff by people who actually are interested in what they blog about. Plus, I remember the blog back when it was just about stuff Danny was interested in.

Also, Kirino is super-duper cute. That's the appeal. <_<
                  Clannad is Life, Da Capo is Pure Love, Higurashi is Ethics, & Tori no Uta is the National Anthem.

Comment

I do understand the appeal of Kirino (not that I personally liked OreImo), but that last comment was more about Danny. Basing my opinion on that one article isn't really fair, but I guess I thought it was just one dude's blog, not a place for user-created content, and from what you just said, that wasn't always the case. Maybe I'll check out more of his site to get a better informed opinion.

As for recouping costs: a question with no easy answer. And with more consumers embracing the "cloud" and digital content, I don't think it'll get any easier.
                    Last edited by EyeOfPain; 05-10-2011, 06:48 PM.
                    Hummingbird
                    || Tweeterings

Comment

I wouldn't say that the one article linked is a very good example of one of Danny's posts. Most are much larger and more interesting in general.

Sure Danny is good at marketing otaku related items to people from different countries but he also does write some interesting things on non-otaku item subjects, (and take some really nice pictures of really really nice looking food )
                      Avatar: Kyou Fujibayashi (Clannad) by Fudce
                      Currently Watching: UN-GO
                      [Collection March '12]

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                      Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                      Widgets Magazine
                      Working...
                      X