Extras Grade: B+

Released By: Viz Media
    Release Date: December 4th, 2001
    MSRP: $29.99
    Running Time: 180
    Video Encoding: 480i/p MPEG-2
    Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1

In Summary:
    Revisiting this series again after several years, and watching it with someone who hasn’t seen a heck of a lot of anime, the show has aged hard in some ways and easier in others. It’s a product of its time, some twenty years on now which is scary to think about, but it also has a particular charm to it in how it all unfolds. The characters are fun, it has a warmth and heart to it that’s there right from the start and it plays with atmosphere well to run the game of it all. With this release being over a decade old, there are definitely issues, but a good percentage of them aren’t going to be coming from people like me, the die-had fans of this show, simply because we’re glad to have it in some form. The source materials and encoding don’t hold up well over time, but I will say that even as problematic as it is, the fact that the show is about a distorted VHS character sort of gives it even a bit more charm. This is a show that I’d love to see get a second lease on life.

Anime is not a right. It is a privilege, a consumer product, art, work for hire, a luxury, a hobby, entertainment.

Find me on Facebook and Follow Me on Twitter to see plenty of silliness in the anime and manga worlds and much, much more.

Re: Video Girl Ai Complete Series Review

From what you say, it needs remastering. I bought this title on VHS first, then DVD as Ai is my 2nd favourite Megumi Hayashibara voiced character. Glad Viz is re-releasing this. Perhaps Key, Saikano & other non-Takahashi, SJ older titles of theirs will get 2nd chances (though a Maison Ikkoku would win big points).

Comment

I think this would make for a great license with Discotek, it should definitely be re-licensed, and hopefully one day it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Njr Resurrection View Post
        From what you say, it needs remastering. I bought this title on VHS first, then DVD as Ai is my 2nd favourite Megumi Hayashibara voiced character. Glad Viz is re-releasing this. Perhaps Key, Saikano & other non-Takahashi, SJ older titles of theirs will get 2nd chances (though a Maison Ikkoku would win big points).
        I don't think VIZ is re-releasing this. Maison Ikkoku should always be in print. Always!
        Blu-ray/DVD Collection / MAL / IMDB
        Most wanted anime licenses: Kodomo No Omocha, Pumpkin Wine, Maison Ikkoku Movie/OVA, Tokimeki Tonight, Nurse Angel Ririka SOS, Windaria, End of Summer
        Most wanted live action Blu-Ray releases: Blood Beach (1980), Looking for Mr. Goodbar (1977), Malibu Bikini Shop (1986), Streets of Fire (1984), Dead of Night (1945)

Comment

Glad Viz is re-releasing this.
          The review is on the 2001 release. And Viz never re-released this boxset.

EDIT: got the Viz releases confused.
          Last edited by WTK; 05-19-2012, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Chris's 2001 review on Video Girl Ai, on Christmas Day! http://www.mania.com/video-girl-ai_article_74247.html

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_the_Talking_Pie View Post
              I don't think VIZ is re-releasing this. Maison Ikkoku should always be in print. Always!
              It would be nice if they did, and started re-releasing Maison Ikkoku in single season sets, 3 DVDs in one case, sort of thing.
              My DVD List: DVDAficianado / DVDProfiler - My Manga: ANN Manga - Visible collection (includes non-anime - current as of Sept 27th)

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
                The review is on the 2001 release. And Viz never re-released this boxset. And from the looks of it Manga UK's release is OOP. Madman Ent's release is still in print: link (under She, the Ultimate Weapon).
                I might have to buy that thanks WTK!

Comment

Originally posted by Tratious View Post
                  Originally posted by WTK View Post
                  The review is on the 2001 release. And Viz never re-released this boxset. And from the looks of it Manga UK's release is OOP. Madman Ent's release is still in print: link (under She, the Ultimate Weapon).
                  I might have to buy that thanks WTK!
                  That link was to SaiKano. I got my Viz releases mixed up.

Comment

I know I checked the link already I have actually been looking to see Saikano for awhile now and I didn't know about that release so thanks

Comment

Originally posted by kusanagi-sama View Post
                      It would be nice if they did, and started re-releasing Maison Ikkoku in single season sets, 3 DVDs in one case, sort of thing.
                      Then if that generated enough interest to watch the movies and some of the OVAs.....I guess I can continue to dream.
                      Blu-ray/DVD Collection / MAL / IMDB
                      Most wanted anime licenses: Kodomo No Omocha, Pumpkin Wine, Maison Ikkoku Movie/OVA, Tokimeki Tonight, Nurse Angel Ririka SOS, Windaria, End of Summer
                      Most wanted live action Blu-Ray releases: Blood Beach (1980), Looking for Mr. Goodbar (1977), Malibu Bikini Shop (1986), Streets of Fire (1984), Dead of Night (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by kusanagi-sama View Post
                        Then if that generated enough interest to watch the movies and some of the OVAs.....I guess I can continue to dream.
                        Though what would be better is two seasons in a 6 dvd case (standard size), so you would only have to have 4 cases on the shelf.
                        My DVD List: DVDAficianado / DVDProfiler - My Manga: ANN Manga - Visible collection (includes non-anime - current as of Sept 27th)

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                        Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                        Widgets Magazine
                        Working...
                        X