X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [DVD/BD] Serial Experiments Lain

Widgets Magazine
    via 91.8 The Fan: Interview with Lance Heiskell

Note: the interview occurred sometime before the June and July solicitations.

- "We are trying to do some really nice things for Tenchi and Lain."
    - "We have it in house, I just haven't watched is...I really want to see that new telecine print that Geneon Japan did for Lain."
    Last edited by WTK; 05-10-2012, 07:37 PM.

Re: Serial Experiments Lain

Hooray!

Comment

The lack of subs kept me from buying the JP release, but I'll be all over this.

Comment

I missed this thread this morning, a side effect of not being fully awake yet, probably...

As I referred to in the other thread, if we got the newly restored version of Lain on Bluray here, that would be an instant buy for me. As long as it was done properly.
        April showers bring Ana & Matsuri (and John) || my avatar library
        ~ Currently Watching: The Familiar of Zero; DARLING in the FRANXX
        ~ Last Watched: SSSS.DYNAZENON; Revolutionary Girl Utena (series & film); She and Her Cat -Everything Flows-; Aoi Hana; Birthday Wonderland
        homepageblogreviewsanilistkitsu

Comment

There are plenty of series in my collection I prefer to Lain, but I'd still love to get my hands on a new version since the old Pioneer release has horrible rainbowing.

Don't know if I'd buy a BD though. Was Lain digitally-animated (meaning any BD would just be an upscale), or was it similar to Bebop (traditional animation inter-spliced with CG)? If the latter, I'd BD it.
          "Old School does not start at 2008!" -- David Williams
          Avatar: Rarity beckons you to join the Pony Legion.

Comment

Originally posted by Soufriere View Post
            There are plenty of series in my collection I prefer to Lain, but I'd still love to get my hands on a new version since the old Pioneer release has horrible rainbowing.

Don't know if I'd buy a BD though. Was Lain digitally-animated (meaning any BD would just be an upscale), or was it similar to Bebop (traditional animation inter-spliced with CG)? If the latter, I'd BD it.
            Like Bebop. Some of the digital parts were remade in HD instead of just being upscaled. Comparison screenshots of the Japanese BD and R1 DVD.
            Avatar: Yajiro from The Eccentric Family

Comment

Originally posted by Serial Experiments Nobue View Post
              I missed this thread this morning, a side effect of not being fully awake yet, probably...

As I referred to in the other thread, if we got the newly restored version of Lain on Bluray here, that would be an instant buy for me. As long as it was done properly.
              I'm hoping they'll retain everything (spec-wise) that's on the JP release. That, along with subtitles will be an instant purchase. Wouldn't be surprised if something was sacrificed, although I'd most likely buy it anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by chronoclast View Post
                Some of the digital parts were remade in HD instead of just being upscaled. Comparison screenshots of the Japanese BD and R1 DVD.
                I remember when Lain was being restored and re-rendered in Japan a couple of years ago, but I don't know if I saw that thread or not.

I really hope we can get that transfer over here.
                April showers bring Ana & Matsuri (and John) || my avatar library
                ~ Currently Watching: The Familiar of Zero; DARLING in the FRANXX
                ~ Last Watched: SSSS.DYNAZENON; Revolutionary Girl Utena (series & film); She and Her Cat -Everything Flows-; Aoi Hana; Birthday Wonderland
                homepageblogreviewsanilistkitsu

Comment

Like Bebop. Some of the digital parts were remade in HD instead of just being upscaled. Comparison screenshots of the Japanese BD and R1 DVD.
                  That is a definite improvement. The only issue for me is, while I like Lain, I hardly ever watch it; I'm not sure whether I'd want to get an upgrade or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Soufriere View Post

The difference there is major and it looks really good. Fuzzy vs Sharp as well as much better color.
                    My DVD List: DVDAficianado / DVDProfiler - My Manga: ANN Manga - Visible collection (includes non-anime - current as of Sept 27th)

Comment

From an inquiry on whether FUNi will be releasing the series on BD...Lance replied (link):
                      Fingers crossed!

Comment

I have the JP set - there are still parts that are still upscaled and are quite obvious, like the ED. However the episodes themselves look great for the most part. Cel animation FTW .

Comment

I completely missed out on this show's original DVD + lunchbox release, so I'm totally ready for a BD set.
                          -Keith

Comment

Wow, those comparison shots are night and day. If I actually liked the show I would be all over this if it's released on BD. As it is, there was a reason I sold off my dvds for the show. Oh well, if I found it for less than $15 on BD, it'd be hard for me to not pick it up just to see the remastered animation.
                            I love my sons Lucas & Joseph!
                            - My Anime List - My PSN Profile -

Comment

I checked the stream of the first episode on Hulu and it's sourced from the HD remaster so they do have it.
                              Avatar: Yajiro from The Eccentric Family

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X