• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [DVD/BD] A Letter to Momo

Widgets Magazine
    via ANN
    GKids to Release I.G's A Letter to Momo in U.S. Theaters
    posted on 2012-04-21 06:05 EDT

Award-winning film by Jin-Roh's Hiroyuki Okiura slated for U.S. by year's end

The distribution company GKids plans to release Hiroyuki Okiura and Production I.G's A Letter to Momo anime film in theaters throughout the United States at the end of this year. The announcement was made during the film's opening in Japanese theaters on Saturday...

Re: GKids slated to release A Letter to Momo in U.S. theaters by year's end

It looks like a cute family-friendly film. If they get it in as many places as Summer Wars then I suppose I'll try to go see it. Its not one of my "must-see" movies, but as long as its playing nearby I'll support any theatrically released anime.

Comment

Originally posted by doubleO7 View Post
      It looks like a cute family-friendly film. If they get it in as many places as Summer Wars then I suppose I'll try to go see it. Its not one of my "must-see" movies, but as long as its playing nearby I'll support any theatrically released anime.
      That's pretty much how I view this. If it gets released close to me theatrically, I'll go and see it to show my support. It would also be interesting to see who has (or will have) the license to this movie.

Comment

A Letter to Momo

GKids Films - movie page | TIFF trailer

via GKids Twitter
        - Will you be handling the home video (DVD/BD) release for A Letter to Momo in North America?

- Yes, as well as the theatrical release and all the other good stuff.
        via GKids Twitter
        - When can we expect the home video release? Later this year or sometime in 2013?

- 2013 at this point. We always work to make it worth the wait.
        via Production I.G panel @ AX '12
        09:30:35 <bay|AX|PIG> Next one is a Letter to Momo
        09:30:47 <bay|AX|PIG> This is actually a very non-production I.G. like show, it's very ghibli
        09:31:26 <bay|AX|PIG> we've had this at many film festivals and won the grand prize at the NYICFF
        09:31:32 <bay|AX|PIG> and the licensor is Gkids
        09:31:38 <bay|AX|PIG> who has the Ghibli license
        09:31:42 <bay|AX|PIG> and they are hoping to release it this year
        09:32:04 <bay|AX|PIG> trailer
        09:34:42 <bay|AX|PIG> took 7 years to produce
        09:34:48 <bay|AX|PIG> all 2d with a little bit of 3d
        09:34:50 <bay|AX|PIG> all hand drawn
        09:35:05 <bay|AX|PIG> written and directed by Hiroyuki Okiura, the director of jinroh
        09:36:03 <bay|AX|PIG> Did making Jinroh hurt his soul so much that he made this?
        09:36:42 <bay|AX|PIG> I don't know, but he loves to do stuff, the very kid stuff... jinroh, he wanted to start from his own original concept, he didn't write the scripts
        Last edited by WTK; 07-02-2012, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Re: A Letter to Momo

Hopefully this does imply an eventual home video release, although I don't think there's been a Japanese DVD or BD, yet.
          Junker Woland, a horribly delightful blog.

Comment

Ghibli influenced and all hand drawn? I'm in. Jin-Roh was really excellent, so I know Okiura has skills.

Comment

via GKids Twitter
              - Will you be handling the home video (DVD/BD) release for A Letter to Momo in North America?

- Yes, as well as the theatrical release and all the other good stuff.

Comment

I'm looking forward to the movie. Let's hope the US release won't have any issues.

Comment

via GKids Twitter
                  - When can we expect the home video release? Later this year or sometime in 2013?

- 2013 at this point. We always work to make it worth the wait.

Comment

Good to get a confirmation. Hopefully the quality of their release really will be "worth the wait."
                    Junker Woland, a horribly delightful blog.

Comment

I'm definitely interested in this; I'll be getting it whenever they announce it.

Comment

I'm all over the BD next year. It's really nice we have another company in the industry, especially that's picking up these kind of films.

I need to hound these guys to look into Guskou Budori no Denki, that film is going to be so up their alley.
                        Last edited by chronoclast; 07-02-2012, 04:51 PM.
                        Avatar: Yajiro from The Eccentric Family

Comment

via ANN
                          GKids Pushes Back A Letter to Momo to Qualify for Oscars in 2013
                          posted on 2012-08-30 18:15 EDT

5 nominee-field is possible for upcoming Academy Awards' Best Animated Feature

The distribution company GKids has pushed back its U.S. theatrical debut of Hiroyuki Okiura and Production I.G's A Letter to Momo film to 2013 to qualify for the Academy Awards that will be held in early 2014. GKids had originally planned to release the film in theaters throughout the U.S. at the end of the year. A film must play in a Los Angeles County theater for at least one week to qualify for Academy Award consideration. Production I.G had noted that it has been aiming to have the film nominated for the Animated Feature award at the Academy Awards.

[...]

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences allows up to five nominations in the Best Animated Feature category if 16 or more films are submitted and accepted; if only 13-15 films are accepted, the academy will allow only a maximum of four nominations, and when 8-12 films are accepted, only 2-3 features may be nominated.

Source: Thompson on Hollywood

Comment

San Francisco Int'l Children's Film Festival - Nov 9-11, 2012 | http://gkids.tv/tickets/sf2012/
                            A Letter to Momo
                            Japan, Hiroyuki Okiura, 2011, 122 min
                            Recommended Ages: 7 to Adult (Subtitled)

Sat Nov 10 EXPLORATORIUM

EDIT:

In celebration of CTNx and Burbank Animation Week, GKIDS proudly presents a special Animation Showcase from Nov 14-18. Don't miss a unique chance to see our 2012 awards slate, advance screenings and past Academy Award-nominated films.

A Letter to Momo
                            Japan, Hiroyuki Okiura, 2012, 120 min
                            Recommended Ages: 9 to Adult (Subtitled)

Sat Nov 17 Laemmle NoHo 7
                            Last edited by WTK; 11-09-2012, 05:53 PM.

Comment

still working on English dub (it will be released both subbed and dubbed). Theatrical very early 2014, DVD/Blu etc soon after

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X