Unreleased Discotek Media / Eastern Star Licenses Updates Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Unreleased Discotek Media / Eastern Star Licenses Updates Thread

i would like to see the first lupin series in HD on blu ray i konw that much frozen grain or not is fixed easily enough with a lil filtering.

Comment

via Discotek Media Facebook page
      - Samurai Pizza Cats on ONE disk?! That's 54 half-hour episodes on one disk. Are you guys insane?! You'd have a TON of problems with that: compression artifacts, video noise, color banding, ghosting, and who knows what else. No way. If you guys are thinking about authoring Blu-ray disks, they need to be done right.

- Why would there be compression problems? It would be exactly the same as the DVD set. The 8 DVD discs equal the space that a BD-50 uses.
      EDIT: LINK
      We would call the Blu Rays with SD content SDBD or something that explains it’s not true HD content on the discs. Maybe use a different color case.
      EDIT2: LINK
      - If it doesn't sacrifice quality than I'm game but I think you will need a large disclaimer mentioning it is SD content and not HD. I think you may accidentally confuse and anger customers who may not realize they aren't getting HD content even though it's a blu-ray. But I love the idea of space saving on my shelves.

- Yes, this would be a big problem. We were thinking of a name for them. SDBD or Standard BD or something like that.
      Last edited by WTK; 06-17-2014, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Honestly, if they're encoded at 480p/i, then I really see no problem with doing this, just as long as people are aware what they are getting is not an HD Product.

Their mention of Lupin the Third Part 1, though, is worrisome...

Comment

We would still have the DVDs available if you want to get those instead. This would just be another option for people to get.

Comment

I would be completely fine with Discotek's idea for niche HD titles; I'd prefer more room for the episodes to breathe, but I'm also realistic. I don't want the perfect to be the enemy of the good; a cramped BD would still be better quality than the DVDs, and I'd rather have that than no BD release at all. I'd much rather have, say, Orguss on 2 BDs than DVD only. If the show can generate enough sales to justify more discs, great, but I'd like Discotek to use this option for a BD release if they wouldn't otherwise consider one (since the title was too niche).

I'm less wowed by the idea of packing a bunch of SD content on a disc, but you still might see some marginal improvements, and it would take up less space on my shelf (if we were talking about a longer show); I'd probably consider it on a case by case basis.

Comment

Originally posted by llj View Post
              If it's in HD, I want it presented in the best manner possible--remember, these BDs may be the versions we'll be stuck with for a long while yet. If they try cramming 23 HD episodes on one BD and it doesn't work out, we'll be stuck with that release for the foreseeable future. I'm willing to tolerate 12-13 episode shows on one BD but that seems to be pushing it already.
              I'm not necessarily thrilled about the idea either, but I think that you're being far too optimistic. Discotek is talking about doing this to shows that otherwise they probably wouldn't release on BD at all; this likely isn't a case of 'lower quality BD release now or better release later', but instead 'lower quality BD release or none at all'. I'd rather be "stuck" with flawed, but noticeably better than DVD releases than nothing whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Glorian View Post
                If it's in HD, I want it presented in the best manner possible--remember, these BDs may be the versions we'll be stuck with for a long while yet. If they try cramming 23 HD episodes on one BD and it doesn't work out, we'll be stuck with that release for the foreseeable future. I'm willing to tolerate 12-13 episode shows on one BD but that seems to be pushing it already.
                I'm not necessarily thrilled about the idea either, but I think that you're being far too optimistic. Discotek is talking about doing this to shows that otherwise they probably wouldn't release on BD at all; this likely isn't a case of 'lower quality BD release now or better release later', but instead 'lower quality BD release or none at all'. I'd rather be "stuck" with flawed, but noticeably better than DVD releases than nothing whatsoever.
                My issue is the precedent this might set, We don't need SD content on BD. It's just going to cause issues in the long run I think.
                Anime MAL/AP -- Collection AnimeDVD/AnimeBluRay

Comment

The Lupin TV doesn’t really have a true HD master, it was upconverted and the grain was frozen so it would look more “HD” Our DVDs look almost the same as the Japanese blu ray. We have the BD set and compared. The DVDs may even look a little better since you can’t see the frozen grain as much.

Comment

https://twitter.com/worldofcrap/stat...93180592164866
                    Intrigued by @discotekmedia's proposal. 52 eps on a BD50 in SD is theoretically kosher, need to experiment w/ encoding tho.
                    https://twitter.com/worldofcrap/stat...94468881022976
                    Biggest issue w/ SD on Bluray is it's interlaced. 480p has huge compatibility problems. Might be OK w/ h.264 + pulldown, but needs testing.
                    Last edited by WTK; 06-17-2014, 10:20 PM.

Comment

yea i beg to differ on that one in regards to lupin i mean hmm shell i say iv seen a so called fan release with a pretty good grain filter out there , id there a more direct way of contacting discotek ?

Comment

Reading the comments from people on Discotek's Facebook page makes me think that most people don't understand why they would want something on Blu Ray.

Everytime they license something regardless of when the show was made there are comments of people asking for a BD release of it. It happens on most facebook pages for Anime Companies. People understand that Blu Ray is a better product than DVD, but also in turn not all understand why that is the case and what the real benefits are. True SD Content shouldn't be on a BD outside of extras.

I really don't want Discotek to do SDBD because it just doesn't make any real sense to do so. If they do Blu Ray I want them to do it properly. I'd rather Discotek didn't spend money and time on stuff like releasing Samurai Pizza Cats on BD in SD. It's a waste of resources and I'd be amazed if it was a sustainable model in the long term. The only real advantage I can think of is the subtitle font will be clearer and better presented. Other than that I don't see any major benefits. There might be some but not enough to justify the practice of SDBD's imo

What I want to see from Discotek is for them to do a proper BD release of a series and they could do that should they pick and choose the right shows to do it for. As I wrote on their Facebook page I believe that the 1st Lupin series would be a good choice from their current library. It's a marquee name and not too long either. I see nothing wrong with them releasing DVD collections and then looking at the numbers 18-24months later and then (should they have the rights or the option on the rights) evaluate doing a BD release.

I also suggested a Kickstarter for BD releases of TV Series. So they can take out the risk financially and in turn (provided any project is funded) they give the fans the product they really want and Discotek keep up their reputation of a relatively high quality company. Kickstarter is a great platform for this and has already proved very successful so far as Anime is concerned.
                        Anime MAL/AP -- Collection AnimeDVD/AnimeBluRay

Comment

Originally posted by blaizevincent View Post
                          Originally posted by Glorian View Post
                          My issue is the precedent this might set, We don't need SD content on BD. It's just going to cause issues in the long run I think.
                          Thinking about it more, I agree, we shouldn't do that. Also, a lot of BD players automatically upscale and don't give you the option of watching SD content below a certain resolution, and really, a lot of these shows shouldn't be seen upscaled. So if you have that kind of BD player, you're stuck with crappy looking upscaled SD content you wouldn't notice on DVD.

Comment

Lol no.

DVD is rubbish even for SD content. Only supports interlaced video at 60 fields/s (no 24 fps which is used for the majority of anime), low bitrates with lots of compression artifacts, crappy color space, crappy color resolution (half of the 640x480)... The discs themselves are also way too scratch-happy compared to BDs.

The only reason DVD is still used is because the masters are cheaper to make, and it's compatible with a lot more equipment requiring less hoops to jump through. If quality were the only thing that mattered, everything would be put on blu-ray, including SD shows.

Comment

Originally posted by blaizevincent View Post
                              Reading the comments from people on Discotek's Facebook page makes me think that most people don't understand why they would want something on Blu Ray.

Everytime they license something regardless of when the show was made there are comments of people asking for a BD release of it. It happens on most facebook pages for Anime Companies. People understand that Blu Ray is a better product than DVD, but also in turn not all understand why that is the case and what the real benefits are. True SD Content shouldn't be on a BD outside of extras.

I really don't want Discotek to do SDBD because it just doesn't make any real sense to do so. If they do Blu Ray I want them to do it properly. I'd rather Discotek didn't spend money and time on stuff like releasing Samurai Pizza Cats on BD in SD. It's a waste of resources and I'd be amazed if it was a sustainable model in the long term. The only real advantage I can think of is the subtitle font will be clearer and better presented. Other than that I don't see any major benefits. There might be some but not enough to justify the practice of SDBD's imo

What I want to see from Discotek is for them to do a proper BD release of a series and they could do that should they pick and choose the right shows to do it for. As I wrote on their Facebook page I believe that the 1st Lupin series would be a good choice from their current library. It's a marquee name and not too long either. I see nothing wrong with them releasing DVD collections and then looking at the numbers 18-24months later and then (should they have the rights or the option on the rights) evaluate doing a BD release.

I also suggested a Kickstarter for BD releases of TV Series. So they can take out the risk financially and in turn (provided any project is funded) they give the fans the product they really want and Discotek keep up their reputation of a relatively high quality company. Kickstarter is a great platform for this and has already proved very successful so far as Anime is concerned.
                              The thing is, just because someone doesn't share your opinion doesn't mean that they don't understand why they would want something on BD (saying that comes across as a bit arrogant, actually). Some people care about things that don't matter much at all to you, and they spell out some of those reasons in the Facebook comments. Sturdier discs, for one thing. Less discs, which makes storage easier. Less compression artifacts and better color space; whether YOU care or not, the material would theoretically look better on BD than on DVD. If you actually cared about quality, objecting doesn't make any sense, honestly.

And Discotek suggests that it might actually be MORE economical; I'm not sure of the actual production costs, but I can easily imagine a case where it might be cheaper to produce and distribute one BD (with correspondingly smaller packaging) than a set of six DVDs.

Basically, you're taking your opinion, stating it almost as if it was an objective fact, and then insulting people who disagree with you by indicating that they're just too ignorant to know better. I know full well what the difference is, and I would be willing to consider buying SD content on BD (in large part because of the improvements in storage space and durability); I'd prefer HD, of course, but if that's impossible, there are reasons why SDBD would still be an improvement for me. But you think you know what I should want better than I do?

And I like the Kickstarter idea, but it's not that simple; there are reasons why that can be difficult, and not every Japanese company is on board with the idea. Just because it's been done once or twice doesn't mean it's a feasible approach for BD releases in general.

Comment

This is basically what KSM is doing for the German release of Rose of Versailles and a bunch of other old shows, right?

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X