1 & Only Discotek Media General News / Unreleased Licenses Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/st...12478465830915
    This is a lovely gif, but today is NOT Discotek day. We _might_ have a fun little project (related to an already-announced title) to talk up... next week.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/st...16358702374913 (Nov 27)
      That's all for right now. Will there be another big Discotek Day before the new year...?!?!? You just wait, anime fans. : )

Comment

• alot of upsacles in EU and KSMs Blu rays arnt kown for being particularity good that i Konw of

Comment

• https://twitter.com/worldofcrap/stat...79220157198337

Just got word that @discotekmedia licensed something REALLY tasty... something that we've been trying to get for years. Can't tell you what, but you should probably get excited.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
            https://twitter.com/worldofcrap/stat...79220157198337
            Just got word that @discotekmedia licensed something REALLY tasty... something that we've been trying to get for years. Can't tell you what, but you should probably get excited.
            https://twitter.com/worldofcrap/stat...85798260305921
            In retrospect, this statement is so vague it could also cover about 1/3 of what we?re working on. Gonna be a fun year. ; )

Comment

• Originally posted by WTK View Post
              Originally posted by Slowhand View Post
              https://twitter.com/worldofcrap/stat...79220157198337
              https://twitter.com/worldofcrap/stat...85798260305921
              In retrospect, this statement is so vague it could also cover about 1/3 of what we?re working on. Gonna be a fun year. ; )
              https://twitter.com/MichaelToole/sta...18920658526208
              I know what this is and it's good and the materials are good (HD!!) and get excited for good cartoons is what I'm saying~~

Comment

• https://www.facebook.com/Discotekmed...87530191276065

Do you want DVD or SDBD? Vote now!

We are thinking about no longer creating DVD collections for long anime TV series. Classic series and also titles that have been released before on DVD but don't have HD masters. For example, a long series like Marmalade Boy would only come out as an SDBD collection with 2 Blu Ray discs in standard definition, and not seperate DVD sets.

Also, if the title has HD masters, then there might be a more expensive HD Blu Ray set, and a lower priced SDBD set. No DVD sets will be created.

Reasons for doing this would be: Less discs in the collection, lower price compared to multiple DVD sets, BD discs are more durable then DVDs, consumers prefer BD for future purchases, BD subtitles look nicer than DVD subtitles, title was already released on DVD in the past, easy to store taking up less space.

Movies, OVAs, and shorter TV series in standard definition would still get separate DVD releases or DVD/BD combo packs for the foreseeable future. Brand new titles that were created in HD will be released Blu Ray only.

Comment

• Well--doesn't SDBD show flaws even MORE than a DVD would?? If no HD exists I think I'd rather have a DVD. If an HD version exists, I obviously want the Blu release.

Comment

• That's an interesting question, but of course while the answer is obvious for shows that do have a HD remaster, for shows without one, I would rather stick with the DVD seeing that problems outweigh the benefits.
                    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Kizuna Kazayama, The Rising of the Shield Hero
                    Watching: Love Live!, Buddy Complex, Blue Period, Wonder Egg Priority
                    Simulcasts: HZG, DAL, MMZ, KGS, KCC, LGH, RSH, RKO, SHE, TNB, SXF, KKD, KGN, YKN, AAS, DEA, ESL, SJC, PPK, MJS, AHA, WOM
                    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

• Originally posted by Art-chan View Post
                      Well--doesn't SDBD show flaws even MORE than a DVD would?? If no HD exists I think I'd rather have a DVD. If an HD version exists, I obviously want the Blu release.
                      Does it? That would surprise me a little bit, considering the compression codec is more sophisticated and shouldn't introduce issues the way old MPEG-2 did. Considering also the improvement to subtitle appearance and capability, I'd prefer SDBD, and I voted that way. (Last I checked, it was about 7-to-1 in favor of SDBD.)
                      I recognize terror as the finest emotion and so I will try to terrorize the reader. But if I find that I cannot terrify, I will try to horrify, and if I find that I cannot horrify, I’ll go for the gross-out. I’m not proud.
                      Stephen King

Comment

• Yeah, before Discotek's first SDBD releases, a couple of people were strongly claiming that SDBD releases would HAVE to look worse than the DVDs. Completely false, so far as I can tell; I've got the DVD and SDBD releases of Fist of the North Star, and the SDBD doesn't look worse. And I'll note that the people claiming that quietly stopped saying that after some releases were actually available; pretty sure the releases proved them wrong.

And on top of that, consider the benefits of the BD format, including greater durability, taking up less space (a HUGE deal for people like me with larger collections) and, in theory, longer lifespans, and SDBD releases are pretty much a no brainer. Glad to hear it's winning the poll.

Comment

• SD-BD is better because of the available bitrates. If you want a DVD to look good then you ideally want as few episodes on that disc as possible, which is to say one advantage to buying Volumes of a show over some Complete sets on DVD means you get just 3-4 episodes per disc instead of the usual 5-8. The more episodes crammed into that space the lower the bitrate, the higher the compression and the end result is the lower Video Quality.

With Blu Rays though there is so much space that an SD-BD can cram lots of episodes and still retain the original highest quality bitrate and therefore in theory should allow SD to look as good as it can. BUT it does rely on having good source material and in the case of Samurai Pizza Cats for example the Dubbed Masters just aren't as good as the Japanese ones. So while the SD-BD looks better than DVD it can't dramatically improve the video quality.

SD-BD is the future and who knows perhaps now that Right Stuf and Sentai have moved away from DVDs could mean they move into the SD-BD space in time when appropriate.

I personally would LOVE to see Viz Media and Funimation take it up. The option to maybe own all of Bleach or Naruto in a single fancy boxset that only takes up 2 or 3 Blu Ray cases is something I think people would gravitate towards. Same for One Piece or D.Gray Man.
                          Anime MAL/AP -- Collection AnimeDVD/AnimeBluRay

Comment

• Might as well stick with DVD, if Discotek Media are still going to use MPEG2 for SD-BD (like The Wonderful Wizard of Oz). SD-BD is only worth it, if improved codecs are used for better quality.

Comment

• Sure, I'm okay with this, one of the reasons I haven't jumped on Lupin Part II yet is because of this possibility since it's pretty known how bad the Japanese upscale was for that series.

I also own Samurai Pizza Cats and plan to get Wizard of Oz later this month and the former was fine for me (though that may be because I play my BD movies on a PS3).

Also, if the title has HD masters, then there might be a more expensive HD Blu Ray set, and a lower priced SDBD set. No DVD sets will be created.
                              The HD release would need to be acknowledged as such in the packaging, like with the SD releases, so as to avoid confusion between the two for those unaware or buying in stores.

Originally posted by BlaizeV View Post
                              I personally would LOVE to see Viz Media and Funimation take it up. The option to maybe own all of Bleach or Naruto in a single fancy boxset that only takes up 2 or 3 Blu Ray cases is something I think people would gravitate towards. Same for One Piece or D.Gray Man.
                              I agree with this but in One Piece's case, the show technically went HD when it went 16:9 at 207 so it could cause some problems later on.

One thing FUNi could do is re-release the DBZ Rock The Dragon edition but on this format. The old dub masters aren't in good enough shape to attempt upscaling themselves plus with this including the first 3 movies, it would need to be on 2 discs and if they REALLY wanted people to buy or double-dip, they could include the uncut Ocean dubs of those films with their TV versions because the former hadn't seen re-release since the old Pioneer DVDs and was a factor in some people not buying the DVD set at the time (it was in my case though I did eventually buy after it went OOP for a completely different reason).
                              Last edited by NJ_; 02-13-2018, 07:25 AM.
                              Avatar: From Sailor Moon S Episode 118 "The Battle in a Demonic Dimension! The Sailor Soldier's Bet"

Comment

• I'm all for the switch to SD-BD. The only thing I disagree with is that they only want to do SD-BDs for longer series and still do DVDs for short series and movies. I'll use something like Key the Metal Idol which will probably never get an HD remaster for an example, I would have much rather bought that on a single SD-BD than the DVD set. The idea should be to present everything in the best quality possible. I assume it's a cost thing but the DVD format is very outdated at this point.
                                Avatar: Yajiro from The Eccentric Family

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X