X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 1 & Only Toonami on Adult Swim Thread

http://chadbonin.tumblr.com/post/744...rns-to-momocon
    Toonami Returns To MomoCon

In the distant year 1997, one block was the hope for all mankind: Toonami launched, and redefined action-animation for America.

In 2013, the “Toonami Six” and Steve Blum (voice of TOM) made their first public group appearance at MomoCon. I was glad to host them, and with the help of the Toonami Faithful Podcast crew, we had an amazingly fun time.

It’s a new year. Black Lagoon and Blue Exorcist are on the horizon, and Naruto Shippuden, Bleach, One Piece, and Star Wars: Clone Wars are continuing to make Toonami premiere episodes. Space Dandy is making its world premiere on the block!

Seems about time to officially announce the return of the Toonami crew to Momocon! Much like last year, I’ll be your host with the Toonami Faithful Podcast. I’m sure we’ll collect questions from the people unable to make it, and I’d wager that Jason DeMarco has some news to drop there as well. We might not have Steve Blum, but we may just have another voice from the Absolution on hand.

So, give it some time, let it set in, let us figure out some specifics, and join us May 23-25 in Atlanta.

PS: My birthday is the 28th. All gifts will be accepted.

PPS: If you missed it last year, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlPRU7hDbsE

Comment

Originally posted by 27CansOfTuna View Post
      Black Lagoon is relevant in March 2014?

Surely thought they would have gone for Jormungand instead as its a more relevant and actiony take on the same subject matter thought with a contemporary and modern sophisticated audience in this day and age. This pickup highly suggests and implies that they really arent giving folks many reasons to actually stick around after Naruto Shippuden goes off.
      Yes it is, especially when you consider how Black Lagoon is significantly, significantly more popular than Jormungand and has not been forgotten in the slightest nearly 8 years after the first season began. It is still one of the most popular anime of all-time, and for about the past year FUNimation's re-release of the series has remained in Amazon's top 20 for best-selling anime on Blu-ray.

It is very relevant in March 2014 and should get good ratings for Toonami, much better ratings than Jormungand would have gotten probably.
      Useful MAL Blog Entries | MAL | Anime-Planet | FilmAF | Manga | MFC | PSN: Videogameaddict2 | XBL: BigOnAnime94

Comment

Originally posted by BigOnAnime View Post

Surely thought they would have gone for Jormungand instead as its a more relevant and actiony take on the same subject matter thought with a contemporary and modern sophisticated audience in this day and age. This pickup highly suggests and implies that they really arent giving folks many reasons to actually stick around after Naruto Shippuden goes off.
        Yes it is, especially when you consider how Black Lagoon is significantly, significantly more popular than Jormungand and has not been forgotten in the slightest nearly 8 years after the first season began. It is still one of the most popular anime of all-time, and for about the past year FUNimation's re-release of the series has remained in Amazon's top 20 for best-selling anime on Blu-ray.

It is very relevant in March 2014 and should get good ratings for Toonami, much better ratings than Jormungand would have gotten probably.
        I dont see the reason why they would put something that is this supposedly popular and that people are clearly have already watched instead of something actually new. Seems like a waste of the air space to air it, instead of say Jormungand or even Psycho Pass if they wanted a new show with action.
        AOTY 2015: Food Wars!, AssClass, Seraph of the End, Fafner Exodus, UtaPri3, Herobank, MajinBone, Durarara!!x2, Buddyfight, Vanguard G, Yugioh Arc-V MAL|

Comment

Originally posted by BigOnAnime View Post

I dont see the reason why they would put something that is this supposedly popular and that people are clearly have already watched instead of something actually new. Seems like a waste of the air space to air it, instead of say Jormungand or even Psycho Pass if they wanted a new show with action.
          You also have to realize that the Toonami crew has a set budget and that maybe the cost for the broadcasting rights for this show was a better fit for their budget at this point in time.
          "WHO ARE YOU CALLING A RUNT SO TINY HE CAN ONLY BE SEEN THROUGH A MAGNIFYING GLASS, YOU JERK!!!!" - Edward Elric

Comment

You could also say Soul Eater is a waste of space then, since assumingly, it's been seen already by a lot of people on Netflix. Though as such, Soul Eater has done pretty well for the block.

Comment

Huh . . . so Black Lagoon (trailer 1, trailer 2, sneak peak) is coming to Toonami?

Black Lagoon

Rokuro Okajima is meek, mundane and metropolitan. His business trip to South East Asia turns from pleasure cruise to festival of pain when modern-day pirates board the ship and take him hostage. Revy, Dutch, and Benny are merciless, maniacal and mean. Together, they make up the crew of the Black Lagoon. They are the exact opposite of Rokuro in every way but one... A mercenary group has targeted them to steal the data disc that Rokuro had, and with it, classified information that threatens the peace and security of the entire world! Amen. Hallelujah. Peanut Butter.
              Nice to see another Geneon title on Toonami. However, isn't that roughly when Blue Exorcist is supposed to start, too?

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
              That's a rather interesting choice. It's a great show, but it's so full of trash talking and even on Adult Swim, they get bleeped out. There's going to be an awful lot of that going on if so.
              Or maybe - just maybe - they won't. Back in the glory days of the afternoon block (pre-Hamtaro), Toonami was able to get alternate (less "adult") dialogue tracks. Outlaw Star, for example, had a whole dialogue about visiting the local brothel re-dubbed.

I'm not saying that it'll happen (has happened?), but if Black Lagoon really is that profane . . . well, its an option.
              "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Comment

Originally posted by One Vorlon View Post
                Nice to see another Geneon title on Toonami. However, isn't that roughly when Blue Exorcist is supposed to start, too?
                Blue Exorcist is likely coming immediately following Sword Art Online in February.

Comment

Huh . . . so Black Lagoon (trailer 1, trailer 2, sneak peak) is coming to Toonami?

Black Lagoon

Rokuro Okajima is meek, mundane and metropolitan. His business trip to South East Asia turns from pleasure cruise to festival of pain when modern-day pirates board the ship and take him hostage. Revy, Dutch, and Benny are merciless, maniacal and mean. Together, they make up the crew of the Black Lagoon. They are the exact opposite of Rokuro in every way but one... A mercenary group has targeted them to steal the data disc that Rokuro had, and with it, classified information that threatens the peace and security of the entire world! Amen. Hallelujah. Peanut Butter.
                  It originally said it is coming in March. While it would logically follow when SAO wraps up, the announcement of specifically when it starts has yet to be announced.
                  MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nene Yoshiro, Toilet-bound Hanako-kun
                  Watching: Luck & Logic, Soul Link, Happiness, Toonami Stuff
                  Simulcasts: FGO, MHA, MJN, CHF, HIQ, TOA-R, ISQ, YUC, YKN, IIV, EIZ, SET, IBG, SML, OBD, JSH, RKO, SRW, PMM, INS
                  The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Nice pickup with Black Lagoon! I saw Season 1 awhile ago, but I'm down for a rewatch, and I look forward to them showing Season 2 (and maybe 3?), which I never got around to watching.

I'm also glad to see they'll be returning to MomoCon. Their last panel was great! But the con seems to be in May this time instead of March like last year. *sigh* A whole 4 months to go...

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                    That's a rather interesting choice. It's a great show, but it's so full of trash talking and even on Adult Swim, they get bleeped out. There's going to be an awful lot of that going on if so.
                    Or maybe - just maybe - they won't. Back in the glory days of the afternoon block (pre-Hamtaro), Toonami was able to get alternate (less "adult") dialogue tracks. Outlaw Star, for example, had a whole dialogue about visiting the local brothel re-dubbed.

I'm not saying that it'll happen (has happened?), but if Black Lagoon really is that profane . . . well, its an option.
                    But that right there is why it probably won't happen with Black Lagoon. That was common back in the glory says when everyone had more money to throw around at something superfluous like a redub to better market their show towards kids. But with the state of the industry compared to then and the fact that Toonami is on Adult Swim now, theres not really any point to do that. Yes, FUNi kinda did it for Deadman Wonderland, but I'd say that was more the exception than the rule since it was a dub premiere and was still in the process of being dubbed when it started airing. I imagine it was very easy to bring the VA's back in to redo a few lines.

On the other hand, Black Lagoon was dubbed in 2006 by the Ocean Group. While FUNi did go to them for the Roberta's Blood Trail dub, I really don't see FUNi going to the expense of having them redub something that old just for the TV broadcast. I could be wrong of course, but I'm fully expecting the Toonami broadcast to be filled with bleeps.

Comment

Originally posted by doubleO7 View Post
                      On the other hand, Black Lagoon was dubbed in 2006 by the Ocean Group. While FUNi did go to them for the Roberta's Blood Trail dub, I really don't see FUNi going to the expense of having them redub something that old just for the TV broadcast. I could be wrong of course, but I'm fully expecting the Toonami broadcast to be filled with bleeps.
                      The only way I can envision that Black Lagoon would air with a non bleeped/censored in some way dub is if there is a existing copy of the dub made back in 2006 that was recorded that way. That said, IMO, it's not out of the realm of possibility that might exist! I'm not saying it's likely it exists but Black Lagoon was seen as a show with potential for TV broadcast and I've always been under the impression that Geneon did attempt to sell it to Adult Swim at that time. Geneon *might* have created a version for Adult Swim and just shelved it for future use but how likely that happened is up in the air. Also, a second version of the dub might have been created for overseas English speaking TV broadcast that had less/no cussing, though I've never read anyone online mention they heard one that had the cussing toned down. So there is a possibility such a option exists - it's just a question of it actually being a reality. I do know I saw Black Lagoon on Starz! back in 2007 or so but it was the regular version of the show.

That said, no one is going back at this point to make a second dub almost 10 years later for the already stated reasons. Deadman Wonderland most likely had the second version of its dub made concurrent with it's DVD/BD release version. I'm thinking Funimation had enough pre-knowledge that the show would be going to the new Toonami to make one at the same time (and even if they didn't, they have fairly easy access to the actors who did that to have quickly gone back and made it). My guess is Toonami will bleep Black Lagoon and I actually think that might not be a bad thing. BL has a famous meme type video at YouTube where someone strung all the cussing from the first two seasons together and counted how many times cussing was used . That could be used for promoting the show in some fashion, IMO. Also, bleeping a show can be used positively, mattering on the show. Adult Swim's creative bleeping of Samurai Shamploo is fondly remembered to this day. I'm not sure Toonami needs to get cutesy with the bleeping (and doing exactly what they did with Samurai Shamploo wouldn't fit Black Lagoon well IMO) but bleeping the show wouldn't be as bad of a thing, in my mind at least, as it could be for other shows. Now I'm personally wondering how they'll deal with the excessive violence in some of the plot lines. Deadman Wonderland hid some of that via it's original TV run censoring with darkened scenes. Black Lagoon didn't have a version like that IIRC. Funi and/or Toonami could use that technique in those instances, though. For the most part, I think most of the visuals for Black Lagoon should be able to air with no problems but there were a few episodes that I don't think are going to cut it on late night basic cable even in 2014 (Standards & Practices haven't totally disappeared on Cable TV these days) and something is going to have to be done with those to get them on the air and not get Toonami/Adult Swim into hot water with S&P.

Comment

Originally posted by MeggieMay View Post
                        The only way I can envision that Black Lagoon would air with a non bleeped/censored in some way dub is if there is a existing copy of the dub made back in 2006 that was recorded that way. That said, IMO, it's not out of the realm of possibility that might exist! I'm not saying it's likely it exists but Black Lagoon was seen as a show with potential for TV broadcast and I've always been under the impression that Geneon did attempt to sell it to Adult Swim at that time. Geneon *might* have created a version for Adult Swim and just shelved it for future use but how likely that happened is up in the air.
                        Even if Geneon did create an alternate dub for TV, there's no guarantee that Funimation would actually have it. Sometimes unreleased or alternate audio stems don't transfer between licenses, as has happened with CPM's dubs.

Comment

Originally posted by kyon View Post
                          Originally posted by MeggieMay View Post
                          The only way I can envision that Black Lagoon would air with a non bleeped/censored in some way dub is if there is a existing copy of the dub made back in 2006 that was recorded that way. That said, IMO, it's not out of the realm of possibility that might exist! I'm not saying it's likely it exists but Black Lagoon was seen as a show with potential for TV broadcast and I've always been under the impression that Geneon did attempt to sell it to Adult Swim at that time. Geneon *might* have created a version for Adult Swim and just shelved it for future use but how likely that happened is up in the air.
                          Even if Geneon did create an alternate dub for TV, there's no guarantee that Funimation would actually have it. Sometimes unreleased or alternate audio stems don't transfer between licenses, as has happened with CPM's dubs.
                          True. It's why I think they'll go with bleeping. I'm just putting out a possibility, even though I admit I don't think it's very likely it would happen.

Comment

I don't see the reason why they would put something that is this supposedly popular and that people are clearly have already watched instead of something actually new. Seems like a waste of the air space to air it, instead of say Jormungand or even Psycho Pass if they wanted a new show with action.
                            I can think two major reasons.

1.) Toonami isn't focused towards the DVD/Blu-ray buying crowd. I have two co-workers that watch Toonami weekly and unless the anime is available on TV or Netflix, they haven't seen it. It's funny my boss talks about Cowboy Bebop all the time, but he still hasn't seen Black Lagoon even though I've recommended it to him all the time. Now there is no excuse for him not to watch it.

These are the people that Adult Swim are focusing towards to. They are focusing on the casual crowd that only dips their toes into anime from time to time. It doesn't matter if the show is old or new. If they haven't seen it and it looks cool, then they will watch it.

2.) Budget! The show is airing at 1:30 in the morning. It's obvious that [AS] isn't going to spend much money on broadcast rights for that time slot. The potential ratings aren't going to be that high compared to their 11:30pm-1:00am time slots. Jormungand is a brand new show and that means that Funimation is going to charge top dollar for it. Black Lagoon on the other hand has been out for a while and will probably only cost a fraction of the price to broadcast it. For AS, they are trying to get the highest number of ratings with the least amount of money possible.
                            Last edited by joelgundam01; 01-26-2014, 01:22 PM.
                            Avatar: Satellizer el Bridget from Freezing
                            Profile Picture: Yaya from Kikou Shoujo wa Kizutsukanai (Unbreakable Machine Doll)

Comment

Looking forward to seeing Black Lagoon on Toonami! It's one of my all-time favorite anime, and seeing it once more before buying it doesn't sound like a bad idea. I hope they also show Roberta's Blood Trail (which I haven't seen).

I'm thinking Attack on Titan will be on Toonami after either Space Dandy or Bleach finish (isn't Bleach supposed to be over sometime this Summer?). I can see that getting huge ratings. I'm already surprised Netflix put up a subtitled version of the show...
                              Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleWarrior13 View Post
                                Looking forward to seeing Black Lagoon on Toonami! It's one of my all-time favorite anime, and seeing it once more before buying it doesn't sound like a bad idea. I hope they also show Roberta's Blood Trail (which I haven't seen).

I'm thinking Attack on Titan will be on Toonami after either Space Dandy or Bleach finish (isn't Bleach supposed to be over sometime this Summer?). I can see that getting huge ratings. I'm already surprised Netflix put up a subtitled version of the show...
                                Bleach finishes in October.
                                AOTY 2015: Food Wars!, AssClass, Seraph of the End, Fafner Exodus, UtaPri3, Herobank, MajinBone, Durarara!!x2, Buddyfight, Vanguard G, Yugioh Arc-V MAL|

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X