1 & Only Toonami on Adult Swim Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 1 & Only Toonami on Adult Swim Thread

I could also see Frankenhole filling the schedule gap on Saturday. The first season was quite funny, and very Halloween appropriate. Dr. Frankenstein "helping" people throughout out history with his mad science. LBJ, Thomas Jefferson, Gandhi . . .

Originally posted by NJ_ View Post
    Originally posted by One Vorlon View Post
    Oh, sure, they finished Sailor Moon (from the Dark Moon Sisters' second half up until . . .
    Fixed, Stars was never licensed here and the first of the new episodes to premiere on Toonami started at episode 73 (dub episode 66). . .
    Umm . . . I think you misread my post. Cartoon Network showed all of Super S (the arc where they got a power up from Pegasus). However, as you mentioned, they didn't show Stars (with its transgender transformations). That's why I phrased it as "until", not "through", Stars.
    "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Comment

There's no official reason why Stars was never licensed. It wasn't Cartoon Network. The show could have easily been licensed, but not aired. It's likely that Toei simply didn't allow anymore licensing of the franchise, since they were letting all the existing ones expire worldwide. Other countries handled the "transgender" thing in many creative ways like our dub switched the genders for Zoycite and Fisheye (usually they were made full females, although really, the Starlights aren't as big deals as some claim). I believe the season was ommitted in France because of licensing reasons, although they're getting it now (possibly with a dub no less). But I digress.

Those ratings do suck across the board. Was there something big (or a couple big things) on that may have eaten into them?
      Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

Well, as it turns out they did end up airing King Star King and Korgoth of Barbaria followed by a reairing of Kick-Heart during the DST hour.

Comment

Originally posted by doubleO7 View Post
          . . . It was like a rollercoaster last weekend. The numbers were jumping up and down all over the place. . . SAO gained a bit from SE, but I'm worried about how it'll fare in the future since the popular opinion is that this is where it starts to go downhill.
          I'm curious, too - and I really want to see what happens next weekend (Nov 9/10). Now that we've finished the "Sword Art Online" arc/game, and with the "Alfheim Online" arc/game about to start . . . I could see the show suffering a serious ratings drop for a while.

At the very least, it will be interesting to see how people react. New rules, a major shake up in the cast, and the fact that everyone's a fairy creature . . . "Alfheim Online" is almost a different series.
          Last edited by One Vorlon; 11-05-2013, 01:47 AM.
          "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

Comment

Ratings for November 2nd:

12:00AM EDT Bleach 0.9 HH, 1.370 million
            12:30AM EDT Naruto 0.9 HH, 1.333 million
            1:00AM EDT One Piece 0.8 HH, 1.031 million
            1:30AM EDT Soul Eater 0.7 HH, 956,000
            1:00AM EST Sword Art Online 0.7 HH, 892,000
            1:30AM EST Fooly Cooly 0.6 HH, 823,000
            2:00AM EST Star Wars Clone Wars 0.7 HH, 765,000
            2:30AM EST Fullmetal: Brotherhood 0.6 HH, 643,000
            3:00AM EST Ghost in the Shell 0.5 HH, 568,000
            3:30AM EST IGPX: Immortal Grand Prix 0.5 HH, 557,000
            4:00AM EST Inuyasha 0.6 HH, 706,000
            4:30AM EST Inuyasha 0.6 HH, 762,000
            It should be noted that the times are listed wrong. Ratings for the extra DST hour are not tracked (and are therefore absent from this list) so they shouldn't have changed the airtimes back an hour starting with SAO.

A great comeback overall after last weeks (mostly) disappointing numbers. 3 shows over 1 million and a 4th that almost made it. The Gaara vs. Lee fight definitely helped Naruto retain most of Bleach's viewers. The extra hour aired between FLCL and Star Wars meaning King Star King, Korgoth, and Kick-Heart were likely all in the low 800K to high 700K range, which is pretty good all things considered. As usual the 4AM hour (which is listed as 3AM here) is the low point of the night before Inuyasha sees a sizeable ratings spike during the block's last hour.

Comment

Much more impressive than I thought they'd be. Great news for sure.

Comment

Naruto leaving Toonami, but Naruto Shippuden is coming in January.

http://toonami.tumblr.com/post/66229...nouncement-hey
                ANOTHER BIG HONKIN’ TOONAMI ANNOUNCEMENT:
                Hey guys! It’s only been a week or two since we announced the happy news that we’ll be world premiering SPACE DANDY on Toonami in January, but we’ve got more big news we’ve been dying to communicate to you.
                First, some bad news: Naruto will be leaving Toonami on November 30th. Don’t worry, it’s out there streaming in several places if you want to continue the story (and we think you should).
                But the GOOD news is, NARUTO SHIPPUDEN is finally coming home to Toonami in January, premiering the same night as Space Dandy (final date tbd)!
                And yes, it will be uncut. And glorious.
                There’s more news coming down the pike, but for now, enjoy your regular Naruto eps and prepare to get caught up, because SHIPPUDEN. IS. COMING.
                We’re excited! Hope you are too.
                Stay Gold!
                Love, the Toonami Crew

Comment

Interesting choice. I would have thought and liked that they waited until the filler hell episodes started at like episode 136 before they jumped into Shipppuden.
                  Tensa Zangetsu

Comment

That sucks for people following the show. I would've started after the original series ended. The last nine episodes have never been broadcast in the US (they were on DVD though).

Also, it's only streaming subtited. It really is strange to switch languages. Dammit Viz! Why can't you stream DUBBED stuff on Hulu (especially the stuff they haven't put on DVD or iTunes)?

Comment

Thankfully I already finished the subbed episodes of Naruto, up to 144, through streaming, so I'm all set for when it goes to Shippuden soon. I do agree it kind of stinks for those who want to follow along dubbed before getting to Shippuden, but them's the breaks I guess.
                      My Anime List - My Collection
                      Avatar: Kirino Kousaka & Ruri "Kuro Neko" Gokou from the anime Ore no Imouto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai (OreImo).
                      Adroc Thurston - "Don't beg for things. Do it yourself, or else you won't get anything."
                      Anemone - "So many faces looking like they're thinking even though they're not. So disgusting."

Comment

At long last, I get to watch Shippuden given that pretty much the only option I have is to either watch it subbed or on DVD, which I am not willing to do given that this show is 300+ episodes and counting.
                        MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nene Yoshiro, Toilet-bound Hanako-kun
                        Watching: Luck & Logic, Soul Link, Happiness, Toonami Stuff
                        Simulcasts: FGO, MHA, MJN, CHF, HIQ, TOA-R, ISQ, YUC, YKN, IIV, EIZ, SET, IBG, SML, OBD, JSH, RKO, SRW, PMM, INS
                        The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Wow, that's some big ol' news ain't it? I admit its a good move for the block, but I'm honestly a little disappointed. I was watching Naruto and they'll now be dropping it in the middle of a major arc so, like One Piece, I'm going to have to cram in 150+ episodes to get caught up... And as PurpleWarrior pointed out its not legally streaming dubbed

I really would've preferred they finish off their run of the original Naruto even if they would've had to kick it to a super-late slot (assuming they willingly dropped it, as opposedd to them losing the rights for some reason).

Comment

Sorry to double-post but here's an interesting piece of info, straight from Jason DeMarco himself:

Will Space Dandy be "Co-produced by Cartoon Network/Adult Swim" like The Big O, or will it be considered a Toonami original like IGPX, since it airs here first? Or neither?

It's more like GITS. We are co-funding but not actively producing it.
                            So they are throwing some money Bones' way, meaning they'll have perpetual rights to it like GITS even though they don't actually have a hand in production.
                            Last edited by doubleO7; 11-06-2013, 09:31 PM.

Comment

I can't help but feel like everything Toonami has to say these days is phenomenally great news for them.
                              My Top Anime | Manga
                              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                              My FP Reviews | Twitter
                              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

How is Naruto: Shippuden? I've heard that Shippuden (a.k.a. the Hurricane Chronicles) is kind of talky, and not quite in the model of the original series. But I haven't seen any of it (yet).

Originally posted by doubleO7 View Post
                                Wow, that's some big ol' news ain't it? I admit its a good move for the block, but I'm honestly a little disappointed. I was watching Naruto and they'll now be dropping it in the middle of a major arc so, like One Piece, I'm going to have to cram in 150+ episodes to get caught up... And as PurpleWarrior pointed out its not legally streaming dubbed

I really would've preferred they finish off their run of the original Naruto even if they would've had to kick it to a super-late slot (assuming they willingly dropped it, as opposedd to them losing the rights for some reason).
                                Yeah, that is an odd place to drop Naruto. Barring a last minute marathon, they'll finish the match between Gaara and Rock Lee . . . but that's about it. They won't get to the Toad Mountain Sage or the summoning jutsu, the chidori or rasengan techniques, the Fifth Hokage or Sasuke's decision . . . all of which is pretty important.

On the (somewhat) brighter side, you don't have to watch every episode online to get caught up. Looking through the list on Wikipedia, I think you could safely stop after Episode 135 or so, and some of that's filler . . . although we'll only be around Episode Fifty when Naruto leaves Toonami.

But still . . . that's an odd place to stop. I wonder if there was some sort of trade involved. Toonami gives up the rights to Naruto in exchange for Shippuden, but the offer was only good for a limited time . . . I don't know.
                                Last edited by One Vorlon; 11-07-2013, 02:04 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X