Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 1 & Only Toonami on Adult Swim Thread

Originally posted by PurpleWarrior13 View Post
    Good to see GitS Season 1 back on Toonami (even if it is too late/early for me to watch it). What's SWCW?
    I believe that stands for Star Wars-The Clone Wars. And I agree with you about GiTS-IIRC Adult Swim has only shown it twice but it is an excellent show & a very good replacement for Cowboy Bebop IMO.
    Avatar: Yohko & Azusa (Devil Hunter Yohko)
    FilmAF / MAL /Games / Figures
    Moderator Patrol Route: Movie & TV Discussions, Questioning Fandom

Comment

I feel stupid.

It's better for a show like GitS or Bebop to be run in the dead timeslots so they aren't spending a lot of money on something that won't get as fantastic ratings.
      Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

Overall I'm satisfied with the lineup change. Haven't seen FLCL in a long time, so I'm looking forward to seeing that again hosted by TOM (even though I own it ). As I predicted Big O didn't get rerun. I'm surprised they actually took Bebop off, but it was in serious need of a break.

Comment

Originally posted by EyeOfPain View Post
          Originally posted by Victor Fenix View Post
          I'm not sure if a continuation is even feasible considering how its ending made no sense. It's already going to be 15 years old, which would already be called nostalgia at this point. Maybe sales from Sentai could revive the series' fanbase and possibly convince the staff members to make new material (possibly an HD remaster ala Hellsing Ultimate I-IV Blu-Ray and GITS 2.0 to celebrate its 15th anniversary) if there's enough demand. Even if it was to be made, the English cast would need several replacements due to several of the actors retiring (such as Dorothy since Lia Sargent's retired and would possibly be replaced by Christina Valenzuela for the role). One of the contributing factors as to why S2 didn't do too well in the US despite paying off its budget was that CN was experiencing decay at the time and believed that an S3 wasn't worth the risk, plus how AS's terrible airing times made the ratings falter (a rerun got accidentally aired as opposed to the finale, which pissed off many fans). If new material was to be made by the numbers you say (10-15 years from now), Steven Blum would be in his 60s and just wouldn't sound the same as he used to back in the early 2000s and would have to get a new VA to take over his spot (and I'm not sure if anyone has a voice just as good as his). I would prefer a new series done in an OVA format built from the ground up due to greater flexibility, a much better budget, and just simply an easier schedule. Alternatively, it could be remade in Manga format.
          My assumption for the 25/30th was a reboot ala the old Tatsunoko shows that have received new adaptations (Sins, Crowds), but I guess those are going on 40. In that case, lack of cast continuity wouldn't be as big an issue, but I'd still miss Blum in the role myself.

There have been a couple manga adaptations, most of which were just "okay." And if I recall correctly, the one that was very well regarded never got picked up for an English language release.

But let's be honest here. Despite how well loved the show is on American shores, Japan barely has a sufficient fanbase to support a remaster, let alone either a third season or a reboot. TBO did marginally well in ratings, and none of the made significant waves, from what I can tell.
          Patlabor (another classic mech series), which hasn't had new material in over a decade (13 years to be exact, likely at this point that the fanbase went on to other mech series due to the ridiculously long time between the most recent installment and the next), is getting a live action film in 2014 (by Mamoru Oshii no less!), probably as an attempt to revive the fanbase after a 13-year hibernation (which the possibly revival has been preceded by Bandai Visual releasing BDs of the series a years ago). Maybe TBO could get the Rebuild treatment if a combination of good enough sales from Sentai and a resurgence in the fanbase there occurs, but it would also involve having Sato, Katayama and Konaka (who's currently working on Desperand, which has gone into limbo due to director Ryutaro Nakamura's death in July 2013 to pancreatic cancer) reunited. Due to the lack of a sufficient fanbase over in Japan to support it currently, they would have to join and form together a group to achieve greater publicity for their work (the lack of publicity was one of the contributing factors to why it didn't do to well), like with the aforementioned Patlabor, and get some assistance from better known writers of more recent times (possibly Gen Urobuchi) to have involvement with it. Apparently the manga adaptations were much more popular than the anime over there, so I guess it could be remade in manga format if it's going to get better viewership (let again, the creators wanted a second season made, and got what they wanted due to it being a success overseas. Even then, the second season ended with a bunch of questions unanswered).
          Last edited by Victor Fenix; 09-26-2013, 11:49 PM.

Comment

EDIT: Never mind. I remembered thing differently, for some reason...
            Last edited by Asrialys; 09-29-2013, 01:31 AM.
            @Asrialys | MyAnimeList | DVD/BD Collection (aka My Backlog...)

Comment

Ratings are in for September 28th.

12:00AM Bleach 1.0 HH, 1.414 million
              12:30AM Naruto 0.8 HH, 1.162 million
              1:00AM One Piece 0.7 HH, 981,000
              1:30AM Soul Eater 0.7 HH, 906,000
              2:00AM Sword Art Online 0.6 HH, 774,000
              2:30AM IGPX: Immortal Grand Prix 0.4 HH, 604,000
              3:00AM Star Wars: Clone Wars 0.5 HH, 599,000
              3:30AM Big O/An 0.4 HH, 528,000
              4:00AM Fullmetal: Brotherhood 0.4 HH, 559,000
              4:30AM Cowboy Bebop 0.4 HH, 555,000
              5:00AM Inuyasha 0.4 HH, 619,000
              5:30AM Inuyasha 0.4 HH, 531,000
              Bleach did great but Naruto, SAO, and IGPX suffered from noticeable drops. But seeing nothing below 500,000 is good. Hopefully FLCL and GITS do well for the block when they join the lineup.

Comment

Twitter's factor on Nielsen ratings starts applying to Toonami on Saturday. Hopefully that and the start of an actual arc in Bleach will be enough of a shot in the arm to bring us back to triple, quadruple and possibly quintuple million ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by Rootsofjustice View Post
                  Twitter's factor on Nielsen ratings starts applying to Toonami on Saturday. Hopefully that and the start of an actual arc in Bleach will be enough of a shot in the arm to bring us back to triple, quadruple and possibly quintuple million ratings.
                  Also possibly helping the ratings:

1. Naruto getting to some of the bigger matches in the Stage 2.5 portion of the Chuunin Exams arc;
                  2. One Piece getting out of "filler territory" by the end of this week's episode (and starting its next major arc at the end of the month).
                  Joseph Klemm
                  "Neco-san desu-o!! meeeeowww!"

Spring 2015 Plans
                  Friday: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
                  Saturday: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
                  Sunday: Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic

Comment

I'm surprised Bleach is holding up that well. Between the filler, the lack of focus on Ichigo, and the fact the last episode was referencing episodes from . . . two years (?) ago, I'd kind of expect some semblance of a drop in ratings

Originally posted by doubleO7 View Post
                    Originally posted by One Vorlon View Post
                    If anything, it muddies the water further. There appears to have been a subtle shift between seasons one and two, and certain plot elements don't line up well. For example, season one refers to a giant robot as a "megadeuce". Season two, however, seems to shift that to "mechadeus" ("machine god", or "god from the machine"), to pair with the pilot's title of "dominus" ("lord"). And that sets up a play on the old title for absolute rulers, "dominus et deus" ("lord and god").
                    Um, are you sure about that? I recently watched my DVDs of Season 2 and I don't recall ever hearing "mechadeus" only "megadeuce".
                    Maybe I'm pushing it a bit to make my theory work, but there were a couple of instances that sounded like "mechadeus". If not, I can blame linguistic drift/corruption, and still get my "lord and mechanical god" theory to work
                    "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Comment

I'm surprised Bleach is holding up that well. Between the filler, the lack of focus on Ichigo, and the fact the last episode was referencing episodes from . . . two years (?) ago, I'd kind of expect some semblance of a drop in ratings
                      What episode was it? I wonder if AS watchers are even aware of filler and are more willing to judge an episode for what in it rather than the more hardcore fans being like anything not in a comic book first must be bad by default. Some of the Bleach filler arcs have more action done at higher production values than canon arcs do and none of them have characters as poorly put together as some of bad guys in the Arrancar arc like the elephant trunk dude, the flying dodo bird, and flamingly gay ballerina.

Comment

Originally posted by sickvisionz View Post
                        What episode was it? I wonder if AS watchers are even aware of filler and are more willing to judge an episode for what in it rather than the more hardcore fans being like anything not in a comic book first must be bad by default. Some of the Bleach filler arcs have more action done at higher production values than canon arcs do and none of them have characters as poorly put together as some of bad guys in the Arrancar arc like the elephant trunk dude, the flying dodo bird, and flamingly gay ballerina.
                        I'm an AS watcher-only with no prior knowledge about Bleach. I don't remember what episode number was shown last week. But even if I hadn't heard beforehand that it was a filler, I'd have known it was a filler. They're clearly showing a string of one-off filler episodes right now. Most have been fairly lame although last Saturday's was one of the better ones. (Hitsugaya took some vacation time to visit a grandmother he had met during an earlier assignment.) However, some of the fillers are not so obviously fillers. Consequently, I approach Bleach as you suggested, I judge each episode individually because I can't always tell what is and isn't canon.
                        Avatar: Ahiru and Fakir of Princess Tutu | My manga list | My anime DVD list

Comment

Last weekend (Sept 28-29, depending on your time zone), it was Bleach, Ep 316 "Toshirō Hitsugaya's Holiday".

Comment

I'm not a purist, and have actually enjoyed some of the filler. I thought Bleach's "Bount" arc, for example, was blended in beautifully. And the plot ideas of the Zanpakuto Rebellion and New Captain Shūsuke Amagai arcs were good - and paced better than the Battle of Karakura Town.

What's surprising me is that the recent, wildly random filler episodes aren't hurting the ratings. Ichigo et al as monsters, or an Arabian Nights tale? Interrupting boss battles for a morale-building ball game? I'd expect to see ratings drops (at least) on those nights, but it doesn't seem to be working out that way.

Oh, and the others are right. Last weekend's episode involved Captain Hitsugaya (the kid captain with the ice dragon zanpakuto) visiting an elderly medium he met, way back at the beginning of the Arrancar arc. There's a ghost kid who wants to see snow, and Ichigo's sister is there . . . not a bad episode, but very obviously filler.
                            "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Comment

What's surprising me is that the recent, wildly random filler episodes aren't hurting the ratings. Ichigo et al as monsters, or an Arabian Nights tale? Interrupting boss battles for a morale-building ball game? I'd expect to see ratings drops (at least) on those nights, but it doesn't seem to be working out that way.
                              An AS-watcher only (like me) doesn't know in advance whether the filler is worth the time to watch until after watching some of it. By then the show is already counted as watched is my guess.
                              Avatar: Ahiru and Fakir of Princess Tutu | My manga list | My anime DVD list

Comment

via New York Times: Nielsen to Measure Twitter Chatter About TV Shows

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X