Widgets Magazine

1 & Only Toonami on Adult Swim Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Possibility of Cartoon Network bringing back Toonami?

I'd certainly watch it if it returned.

Comment

I thought the Naruto filler killed Toonami. You know, that ongoing filler that continues on and on. I'm pretty sure the Naruto filler killed the Bionix block in Canada too.
      Damn you unnecessary Naruto filler! It is a really good show otherwise. I'm sure another Toonami could be successful if they air the right shows.
      BTW what's this about Toonami having been brought back for like a day? That sounds awesome. What shows did they air?
      Also, I hope if they bring back Toonami, YTV will consider bringing back Bionix here in Canada too.

Comment

Toonami is definitely a big part of what got me into anime fandom and I remember it pretty fondly. That said, I don't even get Cartoon Network these days, so I probably wouldn't watch it even in the off-chance it would have shows I'm interested in. At this point, legal streaming is much more adequate for getting me introduced to series I really want to own and add to my collection. Toonami/Adult Swim worked like that for me, but frankly some of the biggest hits for me (Tenchi, Outlaw Star, Cardcaptor Sakura) came earlier on in my history of watching anime on CN. Later on there were a lot of things I watched for the heck of it on Toonami and Adult Swim, but it wasn't as directly to my tastes as a lot of more niche (never would air on CN) anime ended up being for me. Still, if Toonami would still be good at introducing new fans to anime, I think it would be good if it came back regardless of whether I'll watch it or not.

Comment

Personally, I wouldn't really watch it (I don't really watch broadcast or cable TV at all any more). However, it would be good for the anime industry as a whole, assuming that it could bring in some new fans.

Comment

I would love to see toonami back on tv. hopefully it would show some of the classics like dbz while allowing newer shows to be aired too. I hope if it does come back it is not just adult swim shows moved into a block then giving the name toonami.
            Avatar: Haruka from Sakura Trick

Comment

From Adult Swim's Twitter:
              #BringBackToonami We've heard you. Thank you for your passion and interest - stay tuned.
              "I'm sorry, did you say something? Because your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass."
              Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar who could think you under the table~
              Avatar: Grown up Yue Ayase from Negima.

Comment

I really don't believe CN cares about anime at all. It's obvious they despise it. I think they're just trolling their own fanbase honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeether View Post
                  From Adult Swim's Twitter:
                  #BringBackToonami We've heard you. Thank you for your passion and interest - stay tuned.
                  Now I'm curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Cutliquidsnake View Post
                    . . .
                    BTW what's this about Toonami having been brought back for like a day? That sounds awesome. What shows did they air?. . .
                    It started at midnight, on March 31/April 1. Rather than run the usual Adult Swim bumps, the Absolution and T.O.M. appeared, launched the probes, and starting hosting the block. The animation was pretty much the same, but they recorded all new lines for T.O.M.

The schedule skewed heavily towards a "Best of Toonami" feel, and ran roughly:

12:00 a.m. Bleach
                    12:30 a.m. Dragonball Z
                    1:00 a.m. Gundam Wing
                    1:30 a.m. Tenchi Muyo: Ryo-Ohki
                    2:00 a.m. Outlaw Star
                    2:30 a.m. Big O
                    3:00 a.m. Yu Yu Hakusho
                    3:30 a.m. Blue Sub #6
                    4:00 a.m. Trigun
                    4:30 a.m. Astroboy
                    5:00 a.m. Gigantor

But that's only a rough schedule - every hour or so, it ran another five-ten minutes later than it was supposed to, so Trigun started at about 4:20 a.m., and Gigantor didn't end until just before 6 a.m.

Again, for the most part, it was a "best of" marathon: pilot episodes for Big O and Blue Sub #6, key battles for Dragonball Z (Gohan v. Cell), Outlaw Star (Maze of Despair), and Gundam Wing (the first Tallgeese vs. Wing battle). They also threw in the "A Boy has the Right to Dream" monologue.

There was some new stuff, though. T.O.M. did a 2 minute review of Mass Effect 3, and neither the Tenchi Muyo nor the Yu Yu Hakusho episodes had ever aired before. There's another thread (well, two) that we had going during the marathon, if you want more details.

Originally posted by Dr. Loomis View Post
                    I really don't believe CN cares about anime at all. It's obvious they despise it. I think they're just trolling their own fanbase honestly.
                    What I heard years ago - and I've never been able to substantiate it - is that Williams Street (the CN inhouse animation group) got caught bashing anime and anime fans on their live webcam stream. But I've never seen the footage, nor met anyone who has.
                    "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Comment

What I heard years ago - and I've never been able to substantiate it - is that Williams Street (the CN inhouse animation group) got caught bashing anime and anime fans on their live webcam stream. But I've never seen the footage, nor met anyone who has.
                      You don't need to have video from a webcam stream. They bash anime all the time on their own "bumps." It's pretty hilarious though, they don't like something that obviously hundreds or thousands of people slaved away, while we're presented with flash cartoons with non-existent character designs like 12 Oz. Mouse of Squid Billies mad by a hand full of people for no money as a superior product. Or they're other shows where they just recycled stuff from old cartoons they had nothing to do with.

Comment

Here's the ratings for April 1st, the last numbers are the overall total viewers:

9.00pm King of the Hill, 0.5, 741,000
                        9.30pm Childrens' Hospital, 0.4, 601,000
                        9.45pm NTSF:SD:SUV, 0.3, 485,000
                        10.00p Loiter Squad, 0.3, 522,000
                        10.15p Check it Out, 0.3, 426,000
                        10.30p Family Guy, 0.7, 1,211,000
                        11.00p The Boondocks, 0.7, 1,134,000
                        11.30p ATHF, 0.6, 835,000
                        11.45p ATHF, 0.6, 863,000
                        12.00a Bleach, 0.7, 1,010,000
                        12.30a Dragonball Z, 0.7, 999,000
                        1:00am Gundam Wing, 0.5, 806,000
                        1:30am Tenchi Muyo!, 0.5, 773,000
                        2:10am Outlaw Star, 0.6, 786,000
                        2:42am The Big O, 0.5, 769,000
                        3:12am Yu Yu Hakusho, 0.4, 706,000
                        3:41am Blue Submarine No. 6, 0.4, 595,000
                        4:20am Trigun, 0.4, 561,000
                        4:53am Astro Boy, 0.3, 502,000
                        5:23am Gigantor, 0.3, 414,000

The previous Saturday's ratings:

9.00p GODDEVILBOB, 0.5, 644,000
                        9.30p KING OF THE HILL, 0.7, 990,000
                        10.00p KING OF THE HILL, 0.7, 1,085,000
                        10.30p Family Guy, 1.1, 1,660,000
                        11.00p ATHF, 0.7, 1,014,000
                        11.15p ATHF, 0.7, 888,000
                        11.30p METALOCALYPSE, 0.6, 781,000
                        12.00a Bleach, 0.6, 822,000
                        12:30a FMA:B, 0.4, 522,000
                        01.00a DURARARA, 0.3, 416,000
                        01:30a KEKKAISHI, 0.3, 354,000
                        2:00am FLCL, 0.3, 371,000
                        2:30am Cowboy Bebop, 0.3, 370,000
                        3:00am Big O, 0.3, 385,000
                        3:30am Ghost In The Shell, 0.3, 429,000
                        4:00am Bleach, 0.3, 419,000
                        4:30am FMA:B, 0.3, 399,000
                        5:00am DURARARA, 0.3, 291,000
                        5:30am Inuyasha, 0.3, 319,000
                        DVD/BD collection
                        Avatar: Yajiro from The Eccentric Family

Comment

That ain't too bad, especially considering that nobody knew it was coming... I'd be curious to see the block does if they were to bring it back, after the novelty wears off.

Comment

Originally posted by Chacranajxy View Post
                            That ain't too bad, especially considering that nobody knew it was coming... I'd be curious to see the block does if they were to bring it back, after the novelty wears off.
                            Not bad at all - with nothing but word-of-mouth advertising on very short notice, they roughly doubled their viewership on everything but Bleach (which might be due to the short notice or lack of novelty).
                            "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Comment

I would love to see Toonami come back as a vehicle for Sailor Moon to air and be re-released in R1 land.
                              Blu-ray/DVD Collection / MAL / IMDB
                              Most wanted anime licenses: Kodomo No Omocha, Pumpkin Wine, Maison Ikkoku Movie/OVA, Tokimeki Tonight, Nurse Angel Ririka SOS, Windaria, End of Summer
                              Most wanted live action Blu-Ray releases: Blood Beach (1980), Looking for Mr. Goodbar (1977), Malibu Bikini Shop (1986), Streets of Fire (1984), Dead of Night (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_the_Talking_Pie View Post
                                I would love to see Toonami come back as a vehicle for Sailor Moon to air and be re-released in R1 land.
                                I was just thinking about that afew days ago. While it doesn't really fit with Adult Swims target audience, it would be pretty cool if they at least aired a SM marathon for april fools. It would have a bigger impact if they made the broadcast a stealth licensing reveal. No prior announcement from whatever company got it (likely FUNi), no mention at cons, no nothing. [AS] could drop some hints that anime fans should watch that night. Then it airs and BAM!, FUNimations logo pops up, TOM could even throw in a blurb for the eventual DVD release. Half the internet would need a change of pants

I think that would be a fun way to learn that Sailor Moon had finally been licensed.
                                Watching: FMA: Brotherhood, Konosuba, Nanbaka, Naruto Shippuden, One Piece (Toonami), Urusei Yatsura
                                Recently Finished: Coicent, DBZ, Digimon Tri - Chapter 2, One Piece Film: Gold, Road to Ninja: Naruto the Movie

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X