Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 1 & Only Toonami on Adult Swim Thread

Originally posted by kyon View Post
    I'd like to see the new Lupin III series (blue-jacket) on the block if it gets licensed and dubbed.
    There is no market for lupin in america. I dont remember anyone ever talking about it or it having any presence in modern anime fan interest. If they want mystery then they are much better putting Hamatora on the block. It really pushed the boundaries for the genre on a way that no series has done before.
    AOTY 2015: Food Wars!, AssClass, Seraph of the End, Fafner Exodus, UtaPri3, Herobank, MajinBone, Durarara!!x2, Buddyfight, Vanguard G, Yugioh Arc-V MAL|

Comment

Lupin III was a comedy, not a mystery. That said, it did poorly on Cartoon Network. I liked it, but a lot of CN viewers are not otaku. One Piece is the only comedy that CN is carrying now, yet it has a lot of action. I don't see them putting any show on the Saturday block unless it is an action or horror series. Look at it now, Dragonball, Akame Ga Kill, Parasyte, Naruto, Michiko and Hatchin, One Piece and reruns of Kill La Kill. In this climate, I would be surprised to see them ever pick up any show resembling Cowboy Bebop or Tenchi Muyo again.

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis443 View Post
        In this climate, I would be surprised to see them ever pick up any show resembling Cowboy Bebop or Tenchi Muyo again.
        Do you deny the possibility of ONE PUNCH MAN?

Comment

Lupin III was a comedy, not a mystery. That said, it did poorly on Cartoon Network. I liked it, but a lot of CN viewers are not otaku. One Piece is the only comedy that CN is carrying now, yet it has a lot of action. I don't see them putting any show on the Saturday block unless it is an action or horror series. Look at it now, Dragonball, Akame Ga Kill, Parasyte, Naruto, Michiko and Hatchin, One Piece and reruns of Kill La Kill. In this climate, I would be surprised to see them ever pick up any show resembling Cowboy Bebop or Tenchi Muyo again.
          It's actually more of an action-comedy. Regarding the performance of the red-jacket series, I've never come across any concrete proof on whether it was poor or not. I recall at one point the network may have considered picking up more episodes, but nothing came of it.
          Last edited by kyon; 11-04-2015, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hrld View Post
            In this climate, I would be surprised to see them ever pick up any show resembling Cowboy Bebop or Tenchi Muyo again.
            One punch man is pure action? It seems like a no brainer choice for toonami. Comparing it to Cowboy Bebop is really offensive. Please apologize.
            AOTY 2015: Food Wars!, AssClass, Seraph of the End, Fafner Exodus, UtaPri3, Herobank, MajinBone, Durarara!!x2, Buddyfight, Vanguard G, Yugioh Arc-V MAL|

Comment

Originally posted by 27CansOfTuna View Post
              One punch man is pure action? It seems like a no brainer choice for toonami. Comparing it to Cowboy Bebop is really offensive. Please apologize.
              No, One Punch Man is part action, part comedy. That's what separates itself from other superhero shows in that there's a lot of crazy things going on while Saitama fights evil. Nevertheless, the manga is pretty popular and so far the anime has been very impressive, so I can see it happening for that show.
              MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
              Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
              Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
              The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                No, One Punch Man is part action, part comedy. That's what separates itself from other superhero shows in that there's a lot of crazy things going on while Saitama fights evil. Nevertheless, the manga is pretty popular and so far the anime has been very impressive, so I can see it happening for that show.
                Where is the comedy, You might as well say every superhero show that makes you laugh is a comedy if you're going to go that route. I dont really see how its separate from things like Samurai Flamenco, Tiger & Bunny, Gatchaman Crowds, and My Hero Academia.

Comment

I'd like to see the new Lupin III series (blue-jacket) on the block if it gets licensed and dubbed.
                  There is no market for lupin in america. I dont remember anyone ever talking about it or it having any presence in modern anime fan interest. If they want mystery then they are much better putting Hamatora on the block. It really pushed the boundaries for the genre on a way that no series has done before.
                  I think Discotek would disagree with you, seeing as how they keep releasing Lupin stuff. Regardless of whether or not the series has much potential on TV, people are buying the DVDs.

Comment

Originally posted by doubleO7 View Post
                    I think Discotek would disagree with you, seeing as how they keep releasing Lupin stuff. Regardless of whether or not the series has much potential on TV, people are buying the DVDs.
                    Buts old vintage stuff, and for all we know it could just be 100 people buying. It doesnt appear that discotek is a mass market company (where are the bds) offering stuff to appeal to non otaku.The long wait for Lupin stuff with it being unavailable for many many years speaks volumes of the no market situation for Lupin in America.

Comment

Buts old vintage stuff, and for all we know it could just be 100 people buying. It doesnt appear that discotek is a mass market company (where are the bds) offering stuff to appeal to non otaku.The long wait for Lupin stuff with it being unavailable for many many years speaks volumes of the no market situation for Lupin in America.
                      You do realize the non-otaku market is still a majority-DVD market right? Discotek as it is is slowly putting out more BDs. However, I think they are targeting more than a 100 people with what they charge per unit. The fact that Discotek keeps licensing Lupin stuff points it that meeting their targets for it whatever they may be(very likely less than 2000). Now you could argue that Funimation giving up on Lupin points to it not having a mass-market appeal but Lupin does have sales potential amongst the otaku market here.

Comment

I realize it's likely because Miyazaki directed it, but look at this too: (yes, that's my twitter handle)
                        https://twitter.com/abzeronow/status/661648085978738688

Castle of Cagliostro(which is a Lupin III movie) is in the anime section of Best Buy(note: I remember when it was in the new releases aisle back in June).

Comment

Actually, I remember a panel they had at Anime Weekend Atlanta several years ago where they said it did poorly in the ratings for them.

Comment

Since I haven't watched One Punch Man I can't say. They seem happy with One Piece so if it's an action comedy it is quite possible. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if they pick up Fairy Tail one day. There's enough action in it.

Comment

Originally posted by AbZeroNow View Post
                              Shingeki Chuugakko is getting engdubbed as a broadcast dub so I think this strongly suggests that it is a very viable candidate for Toonami once Akame ga Kill ends.
                              Toonami is not a comedy block. Also AKG's replacement could be something like Persona 4 or something new like Food Wars(although Food Wars replacing Parasyte fits timing better).
                              I want to make a correction about Food Wars is a comedy about cooking duels and food. And Food Wars is barely an action series and it's more something in the lines of taking the concept of cooking and putting it over the top.

If Toonami wants to air another action title from Sentai Filmworks, it'll most likely either be Black Bullet, Persona 4, Ushio and Tora, Gate, Highschool of the Dead, or Log Horizon. Although I would say that Log Horizon may have some difficulty airing in Toonami due to the dialogue heavy nature of the series.
                              Avatar: Sizuru Nakatsu from Rewrite! (if the anime and VN gets an English dub, Faye Mata should voice this character)

Comment

Last weekend was very strong for Toonami.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/201...-rule-the-day/

Dragon Ball Z Kai 1.684 Million 0.8 Adults
                                Akame ga Kill 1.447 Million 0.7 Adults
                                Parasyte 1.25 Million 0.6 Adults
                                Michiko & Hatchin 1.122 Million 0.5 Adults
                                Naruto Shippuden 1.099 Million 0.5 Adults
                                One Piece 922 Thousand 0.5 Adults
                                Kill la Kill(r) 773 Thousand 0.4 Adults.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X