12:00am - Bleach
    12:30am - Deadman Wonderland
    1:00am - Casshern Sins
    1:30am - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    2:00am - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd GIG
    2:30am - Cowboy Bebop
    3:00am to 5:30am - block repeat
    via ANN
    DeMarco added that Toonami will not be showing Naruto, Dragon Ball Z, and similar titles since "the rights to those shows are owned by our competition or are out of our price range." He continued, "Something you should know about THIS Toonami: We have very, very little $$. This experiment will need ratings success to receive more funding for new shows, more [mascot character] Tom animation, etc. I'm thankful for the $$ we've gotten, but it isn't a lot."

DeMarco also clarified Adult Swim's May 16 press release, which said that the network is developing "new original anime programming" for Toonami's return. Toonami will not have original titles created specifically for the programming block, "just new acquisitions." DeMarco said that he personally "love[s] One Piece and would love to see it on CN again" along with Gundam Wing. Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, Fairy Tail, and Inuyasha: The Final Act are some of the "many shows we've been looking at" or discussed.

DeMarco confirmed that Steven Blum will reprise his role of Tom, which "will be an updated hi-res version of Tom 3.0" aboard a slightly different but almost identical version of the spaceship Absolution. However, the character Sara will not appear for now ("costs too much to make"), and Peter Cullen will not be the voice of the block's promos due to his busy work schedule. The anime titles will keep their theme songs, and Toonami "will make our own 'pre' intros."

LINK
    That was PR-speak that ended up being confusing. Sorry about that. NO ORIGINALS. Just new acquisitions.

https://twitter.com/#!/adultswim/sta...66436597743616
    Attention Toonami Faithful: We heard you. On 05.26.12 #ToonamisBackBitches http://ow.ly/i/D8Rj

With the April Fools joke this past weekend, could Toonami be brought back sometime in the future?

via [adult swim] Twitter
    Want it back? Let us know. #BringBackToonami
    Last edited by WTK; 05-21-2012, 06:15 PM.

Re: Possibility of Cartoon Network bringing back Toonami?

If they can make it work by including newer shows in the lineup, I could see it being a worthwhile thing, even if it's only a weekend slot.
    "I'm sorry, did you say something? Because your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass."
    Heidegger, Heidegger was a boozy beggar who could think you under the table~
    Avatar: Grown up Yue Ayase from Negima.

Comment

If this does happen, I have some suggestions for the revived block.

Fairy Tail
      Index/Railgun
      Tales of the Abyss (not likely, but still a good choice)
      Tiger and Bunny
      Black Butler
      Birdy the Mighty Decode
      D. Gray-man
      Kaliedo Star
      Nabari no Ou
      Sengoku Basara
      Soul Eater

Along with One Piece and DBZ, these would be great shows for a comeback!
      Last edited by deathfromabove1993; 04-03-2012, 02:46 AM. Reason: had to put more suggestions
      Avatar: Superboy from Young Justice.

My MAL Profile, Tumblr

Comment

well sure besides it's sure bring back for a revive run showing block give really since i've mention sure bring it back to prove it still got it.
        LIVING THE ANIME DREAM
        ONCE A GS ALWAYS A GS
        WALKING THE PATH OF KLAC ON THE JOURNEY THROUGH THE ANIME WORLD DECADES
        MAR-KLAC-VELOUS OF ANIME WORLD http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emMKAOgxaU0
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related

Comment

I suppose it depends on exactly what they're offering. Is it just swapping out the Adult Swim bumps for Toonami bumps? If so, that could be a losing proposition - Toonami used to cut the opening sequences/songs, while Adult Swim left them intact.

And if they're talking about bringing back old titles, like Outlaw Star, what version would it be? Toonami had rules about nudity, (non-fantasy) violence and blood, along with sex scenes - or rather rules about not having any of that. So, for the Toonami version of Outlaw Star, that meant:
          • Bikinis were drawn in on nude characters (even tame nudity)
          • The brothel scene from episode one (which foreshadowed a lot) was cut
          • The scene were Gene strikes Melfina was cut
          • An entire episode (Hot Springs Planet Tenrei) never aired
          • A lot of lines were rewritten and redubbed
          • And a bunch of minor tweaks

All of that added up to the point that the Toonami version has a strikingly different tone than the home video release. So while Fred Lo still comes off as gay, and lots of people die, the original has a lot of darker moments to counterpoint the lighthearted space opera Toonami broadcast.

And the same thing happened with a lot of other Toonami shows. Tenchi Muyo has quite a few bathing shots - thus lots of bikini "improvements". And the rules against blood were so tough, just showing Heero lying in a pool of blood (in one ep. of Gundam Wing) was such a big deal, they built a huge advertising campaign around it.

Now, don't get me wrong - Toonami had a lot of strengths. The afternoon block was a great way to watch shonen fighter-type shows, particularly when they did marathons of 4-6 episodes of the same show in a row. That's the only way to watch something like Yu Yu Hakusho - and it would probably work well with something like Bleach. Plus it brought in a lot of new fans, and it let people watch things they'd never ordinarily see.

So it really depends. Would bringing Toonami back mean more anime? Or the same amount, with just more editing? Or just superficial changes like the bumps?
          Last edited by One Vorlon; 04-03-2012, 02:47 AM.
          "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Comment

I hope they do. It'll properly bring on little life for anime on TV.
            "Well I can't understand any of this, everybody in Japan is either a 10-year-old girl or a monster." Peter Griffin (Family Guy)
            Currently Watching: My Hero Academia (S3), How Not to Summon a Demon Lord, JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable, Attack on Titan (S3) & Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs.
            Finish Watching: Karakai Jozu no Takagi-san, ReLIFE (TV), Goku Midnight Eye, Girls Bravo & Cowboy Bebop: The Movie.

Comment

It would be cool if they did, but even if they brought it back, I doubt they would air any shows I would be interested in.

Comment

I was figuring the April 1st run was a 'tester' for AS to see what sort of response it got - couldn't see them going to all that trouble otherwise. Curious move, though.
                maehara
                animevision - a casual anime fan's daily reviews & blog | lifestream
                Avatar: Myuseru, from Outbreak Company

Comment

I'd only care if there was room for One Piece. That show would be perfect for the new block.
                  Back from the Mania dead!
                  "Old School does not start at 2008!" -- David Williams

Comment

I would like to see it back. Titles that would be good for this block are One Piece, Dragon Ball Z Kai, Fairy Tail, Tiger and Bunny (though probably better for Adult Swim but can still work during this block), Soul Eater, D. Gray-Man, Sgt. Frog, and Naruto Shippuden. Of course, given the fact that online streaming is taking over that I highly doubt that we will see it back.
                    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rimuru, That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime
                    Watching: Hero Mask, Granblue Fantasy, Tales of Zestiria, Aria, DB Super, Toonami Stuff
                    Simulcasts: BNF, TGL-R, GKY, SAO-3, TOA-I3, FTL-3, DDK, GSY, IRD, SBY, TSL, CQK, BIY, RRD, UZM, KTF, JUL, S4G, MBZ, MVN, XYS, ZLS, GSH, JSY
                    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by deathfromabove1993 View Post

Fairy Tail
                      Index/Railgun
                      Tiger and Bunny
                      Black Butler
                      Birdy the Mighty Decode
                      D. Gray-man
                      Kaliedo Star
                      Nabari no Ou
                      Sengoku Basara
                      Soul Eater
                      Yeah, that's going to land Toonami right back in its grave.

The reason people liked seeing Toonami come back is because they were showing older stuff with a lot of nostalgia attached to it. And if they play off of that nostalgia, they could turn it into more than just a relabeling of "Adult Swim Action."

Comment

Originally posted by Chacranajxy View Post

Fairy Tail
                        Index/Railgun
                        Tiger and Bunny
                        Black Butler
                        Birdy the Mighty Decode
                        D. Gray-man
                        Kaliedo Star
                        Nabari no Ou
                        Sengoku Basara
                        Soul Eater

The reason people liked seeing Toonami come back is because they were showing older stuff with a lot of nostalgia attached to it. And if they play off of that nostalgia, they could turn it into more than just a relabeling of "Adult Swim Action."
                        It'll land back in its grave regardless. The nostalgia would wear off after a month. It would be better to have a balance of classics and new content.
                        Avatar: Misaka Mikoto, the Railgun. Level 5 Electromaster and Ace of Tokiwadai Middle School.

Comment

Originally posted by ProvidenceBreaker View Post
                          Originally posted by Chacranajxy View Post
                          If this does happen, I have some suggestions for the revived block .. .

It'll land back in its grave regardless. The nostalgia would wear off after a month. It would be better to have a balance of classics and new content.
                          I'm not sure we can say what would - or would not - kill a revived Toonami. Its simply not clear what killed it the first time around. At the time, it always seemed popular and (despite the content restrictions) managed to show a lot of anime.

But then around 9/11/2001, someone approved massive changes to the lineup - including pulling the original Mobile Suit Gundam (just as the Black Tristars were about to attack) - and replacing it with such "gems" as Hamtaro (which had a much, much younger target audience). And its that kiddy-fied version that got cancelled.

So I'm not sure we know enough to say whether a revived Toonami would work with an all new lineup, or not. The version that fell apart was a straw man, a pale shadow of what it had been before. Plus I heard a rumor that internal politics involving Williams Street had a hand in it, too. So . . . who knows?
                          "The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves, the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword, are portions of eternity too great for the eye of man."

-William Blake, "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"

Comment

Originally posted by One Vorlon View Post
                            I'm not sure we can say what would - or would not - kill a revived Toonami. Its simply not clear what killed it the first time around. At the time, it always seemed popular and (despite the content restrictions) managed to show a lot of anime.

But then around 9/11/2001, someone approved massive changes to the lineup - including pulling the original Mobile Suit Gundam (just as the Black Tristars were about to attack) - and replacing it with such "gems" as Hamtaro (which had a much, much younger target audience). And its that kiddy-fied version that got cancelled.

So I'm not sure we know enough to say whether a revived Toonami would work with an all new lineup, or not. The version that fell apart was a straw man, a pale shadow of what it had been before. Plus I heard a rumor that internal politics involving Williams Street had a hand in it, too. So . . . who knows?
                            Honestly I think MSG was part of the problem, and it was certainly responsible for Gundam's decline in popularity. While I hear that it was Bandai Japans's decision to force them to air it, going straight from Wing to Gundam '79 was just a really, really terrible idea. While I do like that show (or rather, the movie trilogy) its not hard to see why it wasn't very popular with the kids who had just finished watching Wing. The ratings were terrible and CN was looking for any reason to pull that show off the air. 9/11 provided the perfect excuse (although like you said, the shows they chose to replace it with didn't do much better). I think most (but not all) of the problems probably started after 2004, when the only anime they were airing was Naruto and a bunch of other mediocre shows from Viz, and then of course there was TOM's redesign that nobody liked which was one of the final nails in the coffin.

But thats just the more obvious stuff. There was probably alot going on behind the scenes that we weren't aware of at all, although I would be fascinated to learn all of the gritty little details that led to Toonami's derailment. Someone at Williams Street should write a psuedo-autobiography about the rise and fall of Toonami, but framed from TOM's perspective. I'd read it.
                            Last edited by doubleO7; 04-03-2012, 06:14 PM.
                            Watching: FMA: Brotherhood, Konosuba, Nanbaka, Naruto Shippuden, One Piece (Toonami), Urusei Yatsura
                            Recently Finished: Coicent, DBZ, Digimon Tri - Chapter 2, One Piece Film: Gold, Road to Ninja: Naruto the Movie

Comment

I think it'd be best if they aired 3 or 4 new shows at the beginning with nostalgia shows later in the night. Like how they aired 90's anime for most of Saturday night and ended with black and white anime.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X