• Show
Clear All

• [AU BD] Pokemon movies

Widgets Magazine
    Region: B
    Distributor: Magna
    Languages: English
    Release date: 6/1/2011
    Last edited by WTK; 08-12-2017, 01:04 PM.

Re: Pokémon movies

My copy of the Pokemon Movie Collection (Limited Edition) just shipped from JB-Hifi, I will post details about it once it has. I'm very excited for it! :D

Comment

Beyond Home Entertainment already confirmed the details, their release of Pokemon movies 1 - 3 on Blu-ray is bare bones, lacking any care as usual:
      Only the movies are included, not the Pikachu shorts
      The first movie is the edited version, and won't include MewTwo's birth.
      The audio is only Dolby Digital 2.0/5.1, and not even lossless
      No extras

Comment

No Pikachu's Vacation? No Pikachu's Rescue Adventure? No Pikachu and Pichu?

Yikes, I was expecting the first movie to be the edited version but not having the Pikachu shorts is a huge oversight. The movies will feel rather incomplete without those. This leads me to wonder though, when was the last time they included a Pikachu short with any movie? I fear for possible future releases/re-releases to be missing these.

Comment

Originally posted by digtotheheavens View Post
          No Pikachu's Vacation? No Pikachu's Rescue Adventure? No Pikachu and Pichu?
          No Pikachu shorts at all, the movies were recently shown in cinemas again too.

Originally posted by digtotheheavens View Post
          Yikes, I was expecting the first movie to be the edited version but not having the Pikachu shorts is a huge oversight. The movies will feel rather incomplete without those. This leads me to wonder though, when was the last time they included a Pikachu short with any movie? I fear for possible future releases/re-releases to be missing these.
          Pokemon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea was the last time a Pikachu short was included with a English DVD release of a Pokemon movie.

Unfortunately the Pikachu shorts from last four movies have not even been dubbed to English, nor have the related specials. There is a complete lack of any care for English version of Pokemon these days, especially with all the music been replaced in last two Pokemon movies again.

Comment

Just got my copy, haven't had the time to watch them back to back yet but from a cursory glance here's what I noted.

Packaging-wise, it's not a Steelbook but a Glossy Finish Metalpak like most Beyond releases - the Australian ratings logo is printed on a small removable belly band.

Originally posted by Kirben View Post
            Listing and packaging are incorrect, all discs have lossless DTS HD Master Audio - 5.1 for movies 1 and 2, and 2.0 for movie 3. It's also Region Free.

Pokemon movies 1 - 3 on Blu-ray is bare bones, lacking any care as usual:
            Only the movies are included, not the Pikachu shorts
            The first movie is the edited version, and won't include MewTwo's birth.
            No extras
            As mentioned above, can confirm none of the shorts are included, nor any extras at all - menus are very simplistic.

All movies are widescreen in their original aspect ratios.

The first movie appears to be made from the JP remastered version partially spliced in with footage sourced from the original film masters used from the US theatrical release/DVDs put out by Warner Bros. The other 2 movies seem identical to the Warner Bros original film masters. There's some telecine wobble, mostly noticeable in the opening titles and credits, but settles down later on. Film grain appears intact for all the films, although they are very soft looking in appearance (could be the source material's fault or light DNR). Some of the scenes appear to also have been upscaled from an SD source.

Below are some comparisons from the original US DVD, R2 JP DVD and the AU Blu-ray for the first movie.

Comparison 1: US DVD, R2 JP DVD, AU Blu-ray

Comparison 2 (Credits no longer on AU Blu-ray): US DVD, R2 JP DVD, AU Blu-ray

Comparison 3 (Updated CGI Bubble attack): US DVD, R2 JP DVD, AU Blu-ray

I don't own the JP Blu-ray's, but I found 1 png screen capture taken from pocketmonsters.net.

Comparison 4: US DVD, R2 JP DVD, JP Blu-ray, AU Blu-ray

Movie 1 specific notes:

- No 4Kids title or Warner Bros logo before movie starts
            - Major telecine wobble during Pokemon: The First Movie logo, some print damage
            - Opening theme song during the battle is now textless, no English or Japanese credits at all
            - Double Machamp coming out of Pokeball scene fixed
            - CGI Bubble attack
            - Newly typed ending credits

1080p screen captures from movie 1:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Movie 2 specific notes:

- Major telecine wobble during Pokemon The Movie 2000 logo, some print damage
            - Has the original English opening title credits
            - Color appears a bit faded
            - Newly typed ending credits

1080p screen captures from movie 2:

Movie 3 specific notes:

- Upscaled scenes in opening, shows pixelation
            - Major telecine wobble during Pokemon 3: The Movie logo, some print damage
            - Has the original English opening title credits
            - More print damage than other movies, but still not very noticeable
            - Entire video for the ending credits are upscaled and pixelated
            - Newly typed ending credits, not pixelated however

1080p screen captures from movie 3:

TL;DR

Perfectly serviceable for casual fans who just want the movies for nostalgia's sake.

For everyone else, mildly disappointing but still alright to have and probably the only English friendly BD release there's gonna be for a while. Plus now you can marathon all the original series movies on Blu-ray.
            Last edited by dashclayton; 08-12-2017, 01:07 PM.

Comment

The Blu-Ray releases seem to be a different aspect ratio or just slightly zoomed in, compared to the DVD releases. The comparisons show a slight cropping on all sides for the Blu-Ray, even for the Japanese Blu-Ray release.

Originally posted by dashclayton View Post
              Listing and packaging are incorrect, all discs have lossless DTS HD Master Audio - 5.1 for movies 1 and 2, and 2.0 for movie 3.
              Lossless audio is surprising, I wonder how Beyond Home Entertainment still manages to gets their own specifications wrong (this isn't the first time it happened).

Comment

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere on Fandom Post but Beyond Home Entertainment re-released the Pokemon 1-3 Movie Collection with a limited 'Gold Edition' back on July 5. It's available on DVD everywhere, with the Blu-ray as an exclusive to JB Hi-Fi. The major difference between releases is the inclusion of the Shorts for the first 3 movies.

The movies have the same specs as before but have different disc art. There's an additional disc for the Shorts and it all comes in a digipak.

Packaging shots (with comparisons to the original release): 1, 2, 3, 4.

Overall they look pretty good, Short 1 is 4x3, Shorts 2/3 are 16:9 and they all have lossless 2.0 DTS HD Master Audio.

Only negatives is some odd minor cropping on the top and bottom for Shorts 2 and 3 and the missing logos from Kids WB, Nintendo and 4Kids Entertainment. Unlike the movies, the Shorts disc also has menu artwork.

Price is a bit steep - I recommend grabbing this during one of JB Hi-Fi's 20% off sales if you don't already own the first 3 movies on Blu-ray or want to upgrade from the original AU or US versions for a more complete set.

Below are some comparisons from the original US DVD, R2 JP DVD and the AU Blu-ray for the first Pikachu Short.

Comparison 1: US DVD, R2 JP DVD, AU Blu-ray

Comparison 2: US DVD, R2 JP DVD, AU Blu-ray

Comparison 3: US DVD, R2 JP DVD, AU Blu-ray

Comparison 4: US DVD, R2 JP DVD, AU Blu-ray

Comparisons from the R2 JP DVD and the AU Blu-ray for the second Pikachu Short.

Comparison 5: R2 JP DVD, AU Blu-ray

Comparisons from the R2 JP DVD and the AU Blu-ray for the third Pikachu Short.

Comparison 6: R2 JP DVD, AU Blu-ray

1080p screen captures from Short 1:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5

1080p screen captures from Short 2:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5

1080p screen captures from Short 3:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5
                Last edited by dashclayton; 08-12-2017, 01:09 PM.

Comment

^ Thanks for the update. Fixed the thread title as well.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine
                  Working...
                  X