• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: [UK] Ninja Scroll (movie)

Confirmed as final by Manga:
    https://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/234970718658494464

Comment

This is on my import list, I like that although it does seem a little busy.

Comment

SteelBook trailer is now up.

Comment

via Manga UK Facebook page
          The Manga UK release of Ninja Scroll on Blu-ray will be uncut (the original VHS and DVD release had 53 seconds missing) and it will be in 16:9 aspect ratio. The UK steelbook edition is region locked to B for UK and Europe only. You can only buy it in the UK and Ireland. We are only making 10,000 copies. Extras include Japanese director's commentary (all new), original TV spots and trailers plus a 20-page booklet written by co-author of the anime encyclopaedia, Jonathan Clements.

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
            The Manga UK release of Ninja Scroll on Blu-ray will be uncut (the original VHS and DVD release had 53 seconds missing) and it will be in 16:9 aspect ratio. The UK steelbook edition is region locked to B for UK and Europe only. You can only buy it in the UK and Ireland. We are only making 10,000 copies. Extras include Japanese director's commentary (all new), original TV spots and trailers plus a 20-page booklet written by co-author of the anime encyclopaedia, Jonathan Clements.
            So no 4:3 version? That seems like a serious issue, since every frame is going to have a chunk of data missing from the top and bottom; hardly a definitive release.

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
              I've had this on pre-order for quite a while from Amazon.co.uk, so I hope when they say "you can only buy it in the UK and Ireland", they mean it won't be sold anywhere else, and not that you have to live there.

Comment

How can it be uncut when they've chopped off the top and bottom of the picture? I thought the home video market had matured past stupid crap like this but I guess not.

Comment

"Uncut" means it has the full runtime.

Comment

Originally posted by Paz View Post
                    How can it be uncut when they've chopped off the top and bottom of the picture? I thought the home video market had matured past stupid crap like this but I guess not.
                    If they got the master from the JP blu-ray release, that one had black bars to each side so none of the picture was cut at the top or bottom... at least in screen caps I've seen comparing it to the DVD.
                    Last edited by lcummins; 09-04-2012, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lcummins View Post
                      I've had this on pre-order for quite a while from Amazon.co.uk, so I hope when they say "you can only buy it in the UK and Ireland", they mean it won't be sold anywhere else, and not that you have to live there.
                      I suspect they do mean that it's only for sale in the UK and Ireland, AFAIK they've never limited where you are when you buy it in the past (I'm not even sure if the likes of Play or Amazon do that with DVD's and Blu's, given I can't ever remember coming across it with Amazon.com DVD's).

Comment

Originally posted by Paz View Post
                        If they got the master from the JP blu-ray release, that one had black bars to each side so none of the picture was cut at the top or bottom... at least in screen caps I've seen comparing it to the DVD.
                        What, kind of like watching a letterboxed movie on a widescreen TV? I have to say that doesn't sound like a good solution, and honestly, I'm not quite picturing how that would work without removing picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Glorian View Post
                          What, kind of like watching a letterboxed movie on a widescreen TV? I have to say that doesn't sound like a good solution, and honestly, I'm not quite picturing how that would work without removing picture.
                          No, he's talking about the black pillarbox bars on the left and right sides when watching stuff in 4:3. The Japanese BD is in 4:3.
                          Avatar: Yajiro from The Eccentric Family

Comment

Manga UK confirmed it's in 4:3. https://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/242978043545669632
                            Avatar: Yajiro from The Eccentric Family

Comment

Originally posted by chronoclast View Post
                              Originally posted by Glorian View Post
                              No, he's talking about the black pillarbox bars on the left and right sides when watching stuff in 4:3. The Japanese BD is in 4:3.
                              Ah, okay. I knew (or was at least pretty sure) that the Japanese BD was 4:3, but I interpreted lcummin's remarks as referring to some bizarre 16:9 mix.

Comment

via Manga UK Twitter
                                hi, following on from your tweets a few days ago, this from Manga HQ: "Well! This is embarrassing for me, but great news for you. We’ve just watched a QC disc of #NinjaScroll BD and it is in 4:3 after all! Further more, I have learnt that Ninja Scroll was made as an OVA release originally, not theatrical, so 4:3 is it’s original aspect ratio after all. You were right. A 16:9 presentation would have meant the picture would have been stretched to fit the frame." ^JG

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X