Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 Dubs List

Widgets Magazine
    With 2019 in the books, it's now time to create a new thread that lists the dubs for 2020. In determining which shows belong in this list, as opposed to belonging to 2019 or 2021, these are the following criteria I have laid down for what constitutes a 2020 dub.
    • For TV series that got a simuldub or dubcast, as well as those whose dubs premiered on Toonami or other TV stations, it is based on the year the first episode came out. So dubs that began in airing in 2020 and continue into 2021 are included. This excludes such shows where the first episode came out in 2019 or earlier and continue into 2020 like My Hero Academia season 4, Demon Slayer, and O Maidens in Your Savage Season.
    • For TV series whose dub premiered with the release of the BD, it is based on the scheduled release date of the first volume (if applicable) or when the whole dub (at least up to the episodes in the first volume BD release) is available to stream, whichever comes first. There are some shows that put the first few episodes up for streaming ahead of time, but again it's based on the BD release schedule. Also, if the first volume of the show is released on year and a subsequent part is released in another year, it is listed based on when the first part came out.
    • For movies, it is based on when the dub premiered in theaters. If the movie is not screened, it will go by the BD release schedule.
    So with that, here is a starting list of shows with dubs coming out in 2020.
    Crunchyroll Simuldub:
    The 8th Son? Are You Kidding Me?
    Ascendance of a Bookworm season 2
    God of High School
    In/Spectre
    Monster Girl Doctor
    My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!
    Re:Zero season 2
    Rent-a-Girlfriend
    Sciecne Fell in Love, So I Tried to Prove It
    Somali and the Forest Spirit
    Tower of God

Post-Simulcast:
    Konosuba (season 2)
    Funimation Simuldub:
    A3!
    Asteroid in Love
    Bofuri
    A Certain Scientific Railgun T
    Fruits Basket 2nd Season
    Deca-Dence
    Hatena Illusion
    ID:Invaded
    If My Favorite Pop Idol Makes It to the Budokan, I Would Die
    Infinite Dendrogram
    Isekai Quartet 2
    Kakushigoto
    Listeners
    Muhyo and Roji (Seasons 1 and 2)
    Nekopara
    Plunderer
    Smile Down the Runway
    Sorcerous Stabber Orphen
    Toilet-bound Hanako-kun
    Wave, Listen to Me

Post-Simulcast:

Funimation Films:
    Sentai Dubcast:
    Is It Wrong to Try and Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? III
    My Teen Romantic Comedy Snafu Climax
    Peter Grill and the Philosopher's Time

Premiered Upon BD Release:
    BanG Dream! 2nd Season
    The Demon Girl Next Door
    Food Wars! The Third Plate
    O Maidens in Your Savage Season
    The Pet Girl of Sakurasou
    Run With the Wind
    Senryu Girl
    Shirobako
    To Love-Ru season 1
    Wasteful Days of High School Girls

Confirmed and Coming Soon:
    Yamishibai

Sentai Films:
    Made in Abyss Movie
    Aniplex Darwin's Game (dub by Funimation)
    Kaguya-sama: Love is War (dub by Funimation)
    Magia Record
    Persona 5
    Sword Art Online: Alicization ~War of Underworld~
    Netflix 7Seeds season 2
    Aggretsuko season 3
    Altered Carbon: Resleeved
    Baki season 2
    Beastars
    BNA: Brand New Animal
    Cagaster of an Insect Cage
    Castlevania season 3
    Dino Girl Gauko: Season 2
    Dorohedoro
    Dragon's Dogma
    Dragon Quest: Your Story
    Drifting Dragons
    Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045
    Great Pretender
    Hi Score Girl II
    Japan Sinks 2020
    Ni no Kuni
    Pokemon Journeys
    Pokémon: Mewtwo Strikes Back - Evolution
    The Seven Deadly Sins: Wrath of the Gods
    St. Seiya
    Violet Evergarden: Eternity and the Auto Memory Doll
    A Whisker Away
    Zoids Wild
    Viz
    TV Series:
    Others
    Movies/OVAs:
    Others
    Children of the Sea (GKids)
    Ride Your Wave (GKids)
    Tokyo Godfathers (GKids)
    Weathering With You (GKids)
    This list will continuously be updated as dubs get announced.
    Last edited by Buckeye; 08-30-2020, 01:54 PM.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: The Ohio State University Buckeyes
    Watching: Tylor, Astra Lost in Space, School-Live!, Vanguard
    Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

A few things I've found to get you started:

Aniplex of America (TV Series):
    Sword Art Online: Alicization – War of Underworld

FunimationTV Series (Simuldub):
    A Certain Scientific Railgun T
    A3! Season Spring & Summer
    BOFURI: I Don’t Want to Get Hurt, so I’ll Max Out My Defense
    Darwin's Game
    Hatena Illusion
    ID: INVADED
    If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die
    Infinite Dendrogram
    Interspecies Reviewers
    Isekai Quartet 2
    NekoparA
    Plunderer
    Smile Down the Runway
    Toilet-bound Hanako-kun

Funimation Films / Specials:
    Eureka Seven Hi-Evolution Movie 2: Anemone

NetflixTV Series / ONA:
    Dino Girl Gauko - Season 2 (coming soon)
    Hi Score Girl - Season 2 (coming soon)
    Beastars (coming soon)

Movies / Specials:
    NiNoKuni (Film) (coming soon)
    Dragon Quest: Your Story (Film) (coming soon)

Sentai Filmworks (TV Series) (Dubcast):
    Run With the Wind (coming soon)
    Yamishibai (coming soon?)

Sentai cont. TV Series Premiered Upon BD Release:
    Food Wars! The Third Plate
    To Love-Ru

Other Licensors/Production Companies (TV Series):
    Emma: A Victorian Romance (Right Stuf) (coming soon?)
    Mobile Suit Gundam SEED (Sunrise)
    Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny (Sunrise)
    Blade Runner: Black Lotus (Adult Swim) (coming soon?)
    Uzumaki (Adult Swim)

Other Licensors/Production Companies (Movies/OVAs/Specials):
    Weathering With You (GKIDS)
    Last edited by wjbraden; 01-27-2020, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Now that I have an idea where things stand with the shows, it's time I do my quarterly dub assessment to determine how likely each show is going to get a dub when all is said and done. Once again, I will list shows that are streaming somewhere and have at least half-length episodes unless the shorts have been picked up for home video release.

Confirmed
      A3! (Funimation Simuldub)
      Bofuri (Funimation Simuldub)
      A Certain Scientific Railgun T (Funimation Simuldub)
      Chihayafuru 3 (Sentai dub upon BD release)
      Darwin's Game (Aniplex with Funimation Simuldub)
      Dorohedoro (Netflix)
      Drifting Dragons (Netflix)
      Haikyu! To the Top! (Sentai dub upon BD release)
      Hatena Illusion (Funimation Simuldub)
      ID:Invaded (Funimation Simuldub)
      If My Favorite Pop Idol Makes It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Funimation Simuldub)
      Infinite Dendrogram (Funimation Simuldub)
      Interspecies Reviewers (Funimation Simuldub)
      Isekai Quartet 2 (Funimation Simuldub)
      Nekopara (Funimation Simuldub)
      Plunderer (Funimation Simuldub)
      Smile Down the Runway (Funimation Simuldub)
      Sorcerous Stabber Orphen (Funimation Simuldub)
      Toilet-bound Hanako-kun (Funimation Simuldub)

Virtual Locks
      BanG Dream! Season 3 (Sentai)
      In/Spectre (Crunchyroll)
      Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! (Crunchyroll)
      Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story (Aniplex)
      Science Fell in Love, So I Tried to Prove It (Crunchyroll)
      Somali and the Forest Spirit (Crunchyroll)

The only reason why Magia Record is not being simuldubbed is because Alex von David, who directed the Madoka Magica dub, has declined to direct dubs in a simuldub environment. Seeing that it is connected to the popular Madoka Magica franchise that there's no doubt that a dub will come sometime after the broadcast finishes. Eizouken is one of the season's best shows and with the drawing power from Masaaki Yuasa there is no question it will be dubbed. Somali and In/Spectre are two shows Crunchyroll is very passionate about, so there's no doubt those are getting dubbed. Science Fell in Love is another popular show this season, so there's a high probability that a dub is coming soon. And with Sentai dubbing BanG Dream season 2 that a dub should be coming for season 3, though seeing that they haven't dubbed season 1 yet that I can't quite call it confirmation by being a sequel just yet.

50/50
      A Destructive God Sits Next to Me (Crunchyroll)
      Pet (Amazon)
      Show by Rock! Marumeshi!! (Funimation)

Crunchyroll looks like they are more likely going to dub stuff than not, but given their limited track record, I'll just leave Destructive God at 50/50 seeing that they did license this show ahead of time, but it's one of the shows people just aren't watching, and for good reason. While Funimation dubs just about everything, this season they took on more shows than they could simuldub, and Show by Rock! is one of those shows that's far more popular in Japan than in America, so I give that a 50/50 as well seeing that they did dub the main series. Then there's Pet as it has the marketability, but this is one of Twin Engine's weaker shows, so whoever picks it up, I could see the decision to dub going either way.

Longshots
      Asteroid in Love (Crunchyroll)
      Case Files of Jeweler Richard (Crunchyroll)
      Seton Academy: Join the Pack! (Crunchyroll)

These three shows were all picked up by Crunchyroll shortly before the start of the season, and all three shows don't have that it quality that makes them obviously worthwhile to dub.

Fuhgeddaboudit
      22/7 (Aniplex)
      ARP Backstage Pass (Crunchyroll)
      Number 24 (Funimation)
      Oda Cinnamon Nobunaga (Crunchyroll)
      Uchitama?! Have You Seen My Tama? (Aniplex)

No way Aniplex is dubbing 22/7 and Uchitama as they have passed on dubbing better shows with better marketability than those two shows like Rascal Does Not Dream and Kaguya-sama. ARP pretty much can be thought of as more of a documentary than an anime and not to mention, there are live chat segments that are too tough to dub and thus this show is not worth the effort to dub. Number 24, nobody is watching that show and quite frankly Funimation would have been better off not bothering to get it at all, while Oda Cinnamon Nobunaga is just plain stupid and not something that's worth it.
      Last edited by Buckeye; 01-29-2020, 11:13 PM.
      Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

I didn't realize that I haven't put up the initial list on the root post, but I did that. Funimation doesn't usually make changes to their simuldub lineup midway through the season but due to circumstances, they cancelled Interspecies Reviewers (thus removed from the list) while the A3! dub has been delayed until the spring due to the corona virus oubreak, and with a shift opening up that they added Asteroid in Love. Crunchyroll is dubbing Somali, In/Spectre, and Science Fell in Love. I reviewed the list of Netflix shows coming out and added them, along with the upcoming shows BNA and The Great Pretender as given their timelines, they should be out before the end of the year. Anyway, I needed to update this and I did that.

Comment

You shouldn't really remove Interspecies Reviewers since they technically did dub at least one episode. No series cancellation can rewrite history. Heh... heh...

Comment

Here is what Funimation is simuldubbing so far this season:

Black Clover (continuing)
            A Certain Scientific Railgun T (continuing)
            No Guns Life (continuing)
            Plunderer (continuing)
            Kaguya-sama: Love is War! Season 2 (Aniplex)
            Millionaire Detective Balance:Unlimited (Aniplex)
            A3!
            Appare-Ranman!
            Fruits Basket 2nd Season
            Kakushigoto
            Listeners
            Shachibato
            Wave, Listen to Me!

And at this moment, no word on if they will dub these or not:

Bungo and Alchemist
            Gal and Dino
            Gleipnir
            Kingdom season 3
            Sakura Wars the Animation
            Shironeko Project
            Tamayomi

I expect to see Kingdom and Tsugumomo announced for simuldubs, but beyond that it's hard to tell. There's lots of uncertainty on the simuldub front here with the coronavirus, but at the very least the script writers can still continue on since they can write up the script from home, while auditions and casting should be possible since people need to be at the studio only to record. If those things happen during all this down time, recording episodes should go faster than usual with a number of episodes already out by the time recording begins.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
              And at this moment, no word on if they will dub these or not:
              Updating the list of titles currently without a simuldub announced (I think this should be final):

Arte
              Bungo and Alchemist
              Diary of Our Days in the Backwater
              Gal and Dino
              Gleipnir
              Kingdom season 3
              Sakura Wars the Animation
              Shironeko Project
              Tamayomi

So that puts their simuldub count this season at 11 plus two more from Aniplex, while nine more shows have no simuldub plans at the moment. Tsugumomo season 2 is expected to join the simuldub lineup once dubbing resumes, while No Guns Life part 2 has been delayed. So in all, Funimation has licensed 20 titles while they are streaming four more shows for other licensors (Millionaire Detective, Kaguya-sama, and SAO for Aniplex, Tsugumomo for Crunchyroll), and with that many titles this season, I'm pretty sure that some of these will not get dubs at all. Of these titles listed, Gal and Dino (too many live action segments to make it happen), Tamayomi, and Bungo and Alchemist seem to be the most likely shows not to get it, while dubs will definitely be coming for Kingdom, while it's very likely for Arte, Gleipnir, and Sakura Wars the Animation.

As for the Crunchyroll titles, Ascendance of a Bookwork and Tower of God are shoo-ins for simuldubs (again resuming when the all-clear is given), while two more between My Next Life as a Villainess, 8th Son, Sing Yesterday for Me, and Woodpecker Detective's Office should be given simuldubs as well.

Comment

Time to do my quarterly dub assessment list, and because of the pandemic, there's not as many shows to list. Understandably, the list is much lighter than usual as Funimation is going to have quite a lot of catching up to do when the stay-at-home orders are relaxed and the actors can meet at the studio once again. And then there's Funimation licensing way more shows than they could dub as it used to be that they would put a limit on the number of shows they can license based on what they can give simuldubs for, but that's not the case anymore as they have gone out of their way to license shows they previously let Crunchyroll or Sentai have like Tamayomi and Bungo and Alchemist. Seeing that Funimation is now starting to dub stuff for Aniplex (which I thought was the case for Darling in the FranXX until seeing that Crunchyroll managed to pry the license away from Aniplex of America) that it also changes quite a lot seeing that the Kaguya-sama sequel would have been placed in the last list until the news came out that Funimation will be doing the dub for both seasons despite Aniplex releasing the BD for the first season sub-only. For the purposes of this assessment, I am listing shows that follow the following criteria for this season:
                1. Only shows licensed for streaming are included. So shows that haven't been picked up for streaming yet like Argonavis and Yu-Gi-Oh! Sevens are not included.
                2. The show or season premieres in the Spring 2020 season. So that means no shows that started last season and continuing into this one like Railgun T and Ahiru no Sora. However, sequels and split-cour shows resuming after a break are included.
                3. Episodes must be at least half-length. So no shorts like Olympia Kyklos will be listed.
                4. For this season only, shows that started their broadcasts will be included even if it went on hiatus due to the outbreak. And that also means shows whose premiere got bumped to the summer will not be included as that's what happened to the sequels to No Guns Life, My Teen Romantic Comedy Snafu, and Sword Art Online. However, shows like Appare-Ranman! and The Millionaire Detective will be listed.
                So with that, here's my assessment. For confirmed shows, sequels to shows that did get dubs, as well as Netflix properties are all listed in addition to all other dubs that have been confirmed.

Confirmed
                A3! Seasons Spring and Summer (Funimation simuldub)
                Appare-Ranman! (Funimation simuldub)
                Ascendance of a Bookworm season 2 (Crunchyroll simuldub)
                BNA: Brand New Animal (Netflix)
                Food Wars! The Fifth Plate (Sequel, post-simulcast dub by Sentai)
                Fruits Basket 2nd Season (Funimation simuldub)
                Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2045 (Netflix, dub currently pending)
                Gundam Build Divers Re:Rise season 2 (Sequel, dub expected in 2021)
                Kaguya-sama: Love is War season 2 (Funimation simuldub for Aniplex license)
                Kakushigoto (Funimation simuldub)
                Kingdom season 3 (Sequel, likely a post-simulcast dub by Funimation)
                Listeners (Funimation simuldub)
                The Millionaire Detective Balance:Unlimited (Funimation simuldub for Aniplex license)
                Pokemon Journeys (Netflix)
                Shachibato! President it's Time for Battle! (Funimation simuldub)
                Tsugumomo 2 (Sequel, post-simulcast dub by Funimation)
                Wave, Listen to Me! (Funimation simuldub)

Virtual Locks
                The 8th Son? Are You Kidding Me? (Crunchyroll)
                Arte (Funimation)
                Digimon Adventure: (Toei)
                Gleipnir (Funimation)
                My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom! (Crunchyroll)
                Tower of God (Crunchyroll)

Tower of God is probably Toonami-bound (though not anytime soon) given the amount of advertising Adult Swim is doing on this show. Crunchyroll usually dubs for shows a season, and I'm pretty sure the other two are My Next Life as a Villainess and The 8th Son as those are far more marketable than the rest of their shows, though Sing Yesterday For Me is making a great case. But when all is said and done, the two isekai shows are pretty much locks for dubs. As for the rest of Funimation's lineup that haven't been announced for simuldubs aside from the sequels for Kingdom and Tsugumomo, Gleipnir and Arte are sure bets for a dub as with Gleipnir, it's the type of fanservicey stuff that usually sells well for Funimation, while Arte has been a very solid show.

50/50
                Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Funimation)
                Sakura Wars the Animation (Funimation)
                Shironeko Project: Zero Chronicle (Funimation)
                Sing "Yesterday" For Me (Crunchyroll)

While I would like to move Sing Yesterday for Me up, the show's marketability probably will give me some doubts about it. As for the three Funimation shows, these are all the types of shows that Funimation has a reason to dub. For Breakwater, Funimation went after After School Dice Club, a show that was more up Sentai's alley that Breakwater is, so I can see them dubbing that, but cute girls doing cute things show generally don't get dubbed. Sakura Wars is tied to a prominent franchise, but this installation has been garbage, so that's the truest 50/50 show for this season. Then there's Shironeko Project that has some marketability, but the show hasn't amounted to much so far for even Funimation to consider dubbing.

Longshot
                Bungo and Alchemist: Gears of Judgment (Funimation)
                Mashin Hero Wataru: The Seven Spirits of Ryujinmaru (Sunrise)
                Princess Connect! Re:Dive (Crunchyroll)
                Shadowverse (Crunchyroll)
                Woodpecker Detective's Office (Crunchyroll)

All of these shows are probably not going to get dubs, but there's always a chance it could. In the case of Shadowverse, it's possible that it gets dubbed in Canada as it's another one of those kids shows. While Bungo and Alchemist is probably a low priority, Funimation has dubbed this kind of show before when they were not warranted like Actors and Ensemble Stars.

Fuhgeddaboudit
                Dropkick on My Devil!! Dash (Crunchyroll)
                Future Folktales (Sentai)
                Gal and Dino (Funimation)
                Idolish 7 Second Beat! (Crunchyroll)
                Major Second season 2 (Crunchyroll)
                Tamayomi (Funimation)

Given how much stuff Funimation has licensed, Tamayomi and Gal and Dino just aren't worth dubbing. Tamayomi has just been a production mess and I'm surprised that Funimation got this show. Gal and Dino just has way too many live-action segments in it that dubbing this show would be too much of a hassle to do for a show that nobody is watching. Future Folktales is something that nobody has really noticed. And then Dropkick, Idolish 7, and Major are sequels to shows without dubs.

Comment

And now, the Summer 2020 assessment of what shows are likely going to get dubs and which ones aren't, whether it be because it's released sub-only or not at all on home video. As the pandemic is still ongoing, Funimation is playing catch-up with dubbing their backlog and because the recording is all currently being done at home that episodes that take days to complete are taking weeks instead.

Confirmed
                  Appare-Ranman! (Funimation)
                  Fire Force season 2 (Funimation)
                  Food Wars! The Fifth Plate (Sentai, sequel)
                  God of High School (Crunchyroll Original)
                  Great Pretender (Netflix)
                  Japan Sinks 2020 (Netflix)
                  The Millionaire Detective Balance:Unlimited (Aniplex via Funimation)
                  Muhyo and Rouji's Bureau of Investigation Season 2 (Funimation)
                  My Teen Romantic Comedy Snafu Climax (Sentai, sequel)
                  No Guns Life Part 2 (Funimation)
                  Re:Zero season 2 (Crunchyroll, sequel)
                  Sword Art Online: Alicization - War of Underworld Last Season (Aniplex)

Virtual Locks
                  Deca-Dence
                  Gibiate
                  The Misfit of Demon King Academy
                  Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!

Deca-Dence is a Funimation co-production, while Gibiate is a Crunchyroll Original, so that means they are headed for dubs, but they haven't been announced yet. The Misfit of Demon King Academy is probably going to be dubbed since it's getting some pretty good viewership, while Uzaki-chan is the type of fanservicey show that does well for Funimation.

50/50
                  Diary of Our Days in the Breakwater
                  Lapis Re:Lights
                  Peter Grill and the Philosopher's Time
                  Rent-a-Girlfriend

Breakwater and Lapis are shows that are shows that feel more like they should be with Sentai rather than Funimation, but with Funimation's growing resources while Sentai's has been dwindling that Funimation is going after anything and everything. That said, given the number of shows Funimation needs to provide dubs for, as well as those two shows not having the marketability that their dub prospects are a coin flip at this point. While Peter Grill is a terrible show for the most part, being half-length, as well as Sentai running out of stuff to dub that I have a feeling it will get a dub. Lastly, I think Rent-a-Girlfriend will get a dub, but at the same time there's uncertainty because of how polarizing the show is starting to get.

Longshot
                  Monster Girl Doctor
                  Super HxEros

Monster Girl Doctor is not really standing out very well, so I say it's unlikely to get dubbed. And then there's Super HxEros as while this show would not have been dubbed had it been Aniplex of America's call, there's always the possibility that Funimation will dub it as they have no issue with it.

Not Happening
                  Mr. Love: Queen's Choice

Shows adapted from otome games generally don't perform well. This show is no exception, though at the very least it's better than a typical otome game adaptation. Even so, I'm not expecting to see a dub happening for this show, although the fact that the game was localized might give it a chance, but I don't see it.

So looking at what will get simuldubbed from Crunchyroll, they usually take on four shows. God of High School has been confirmed, while Gibiate and Re:Zero are likely going to get it as well since Gibiate is an Original, while Re:Zero is so highly anticipated. As for the last one, I would say Rent-a-Girlfriend will probably get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                    Confirmed
                    Appare-Ranman! (Funimation)
                    Food Wars! The Fifth Plate (Sentai, sequel)
                    The Millionaire Detective Balance:Unlimited (Aniplex via Funimation)
                    Muhyo and Rouji's Bureau of Investigation Season 2 (Funimation)
                    No Guns Life Part 2 (Funimation))
                    Okay. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Be VERY careful with the word "Confirmed" here. Given everything going on, all of Funimation's previous dub confirmations should probably be considered null and void until an official announcement declares otherwise because for all we know they're reevaluating some or all of their original plans. Long story short, until Funimation has either put up a Spring or Summer 2020 show on their website dubbed or says in a social media or blog post that it's 100% happening some time this year, I would probably assume it isn't happening at all.

Also as an aside Sentai hasn't made an official confirmation as to whether or not they have Food Wars The Fourth Plate, The Fifth Plate or Haikyu To the Top to dub (I bring up the latter to avoid having this conversation again in the fall). Considering Crunchyroll is streaming them and how long it took between initial broadcast and CR/Sentai to come to terms for a dub of Food Wars The Third Plate, it's probably safe to hold off on those in the event of the worst case scenario as well.

Comment

Now that I have a good idea about where things stand with the shows, I will do my usual quarterly assessment to determine how likely a show will receive a dub. With Funimation grabbing so many shows this season that I'm having a hard time believing that they will dub all of them (at least one of them is guaranteed not to in Tsukiuta season 2). As usual, my assessment will exclude shows that are under half-length for episodes like Gurabura and One Room, as well shows that aren't legally streaming anywhere (except for Netflix shows that will be put up later), and for this season Eternity: Sweet Love Story is the only such show that applies.

Confirmed
                      A3! Seasons Autumn and Winter (Funimation Simuldub, postbroadcast for season 2)
                      Attack on Titan Final Season (Funimation Simuldub)
                      D4DJ First Mix (Confirmed on English D4DJ site, but no indication on who's handling the dub)
                      The Day I Became a God (Aniplex/Funimation Simuldub)
                      Golden Kamuy (Crunchyroll/Funimation Simuldub)
                      Haikyu! To the Top (Sentai)
                      The Irregular at Magic High School: Visitor Arc (Aniplex/Funimation Simuldub)
                      Is It Wrong to Try and Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon III (Crunchyroll/Sentai Dubcast)
                      Onyx Equinox (Crunchyroll)
                      Our Last Crusade or the Rise of a New World (Funimation Simuldub)
                      Strike Witches: Road to Berlin (Funimation Simuldub, postbroadcast)
                      Warlords of Sigrdrifa (Aniplex/Funimation Simuldub)
                      Yashahime: Princess Half-Blood (Viz/Crunchyroll/Funimation Simuldub)

Virtual Locks
                      By the Grace of the Gods (Funimation)
                      Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai (Good chance Ocean dubs it)
                      The Gymnastics Samurai (Funimation)
                      Higurashi: When They Cry Gou (Funimation)
                      I'm Standing on a Million Lives (Crunchyroll)
                      Jujutsu Kaisen (Crunchyroll)
                      Love Live: Nijigasaki High School Idol Club (Funimation)
                      Moriarity the Patriot (Funimation)
                      Noblesse (Crunchyroll)
                      Sleepy Princess in the Demon Castle (Funimation)
                      Talentless Nana (Funimation)
                      Tonikawa: Over the Moon For You (Crunchyroll)
                      Wandering Witch: The Journey of Elaina (Funimation)

Barring any unexpected developments, the simuldub lineup for Crunchyroll this season should be Noblesse, Tonikawa, Million Lives, and Jujutsu Kaisen. Had To Your Eternity aired this season that it would have been anyone's guess which show between that, Tonikawa, and Million Lives gets passed over, but with there being only four shows worth dubbing that I'm fully expecting those (with Noblesse and Tonikawa being CR Originals) to be this season's simuldubs.

With Funimation being on the production committee for By the Grace of the Gods and Moriarty the Patriot, that all but guarantees that they are dubbed. Having dubbed the previous Love Live series, Funimation will without question give a simuldub to Nijigasaki. Funimation will almost certainly give Higurashi a dub out of Dallas as that show has an established profile. Gymnastics Samurai should get one as well due to the Yuri on Ice fanbase, though this is nowhere near as prolific. Sleepy Princess, Talentless Nana, and Wandering Witch are all shows that were well-received, so that pretty much secures a dub for those shows. And for the one wild card, that would be Dragon Quest as it's a kids show, and my gut feeling is that it goes up to Vancouver for its dub seeing that they usually handle the dubs for kids shows, which is what this one is.

50/50
                      Adachi and Shimamura (Funimation)
                      Assault Lily Bouquet (Funimation)
                      Dropout Idol Fruit Tart (Funimation)
                      Ikebukuro West Gate Park (Funimation)
                      King's Raid (Funimation)
                      Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear (Funimation)
                      Magatsu Wahrheit: Zierst (Funimation)
                      Osomatsu-san season 3 (Viz?)

And here, there are a number of Funimation shows that have a case for being skipped over for a dub as Funimation has licensed a lot more stuff they could dub. While they could realistically dub all of them under normal conditions, the pandemic has made it far less efficient to do so. That said, I will quickly go through the list stating one for and against for each show. Adachi and Shimamura is narrative-based making it easier to dub than most other shows, but at the same time the show has limited appeal. Assault Lily Bouquet has Shaft's unique artstyle going for it, but so far it has been a mediocre show with a specific audience. Dropout Idol Fruit Tart is by the same guy who did Hanayamata, which Sentai surprisingly gave a dub for, but it's a show that has limited appeal as well. IWGP is a show with lots of solid drama, but interest is easily lost due to the nature of the episodes. King's Raid is from a marketable genre, but it's a highly generic show that will bore a lot of viewers. Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear has great appeal with the characters and fantasy setting, but is held back by how the adaptation is being handled so far. Finally, MWZ has some interesting concepts to it, but badly executed ones so far. Then there's Mr. Osomatsu as Viz licensed it and announced the dub cast for it, but the ADR process has just been a mess as the staff members can't agree on how to approach the dub, all while they have let their license expire. Whoever picks it up might want to just release it sub-only seeing that fans have waited long enough, but at the same time since it was so well-received that they might want to dub it, and not get too caught up in details like Studiopolis is.

Longshot
                      Idolish7: Second Beat (Crunchyroll)
                      Maesetsu! (Funimation)

Idolish7 is a well-received show, but not an attractive license for home video to say the least. While I can't see it getting dubbed it has a solid case for getting one as well. Then there's Maesetsu as if anybody else licensed this run-of-the-mill bishoujo show, there's no chance at a dub. But with Funimation going after a show that has typically ended up with Sentai in the past and their commitment to dubbing whatever they can that I give it an outside chance.

Not Happening
                      Eagle Talon Golden Spell (Crunchyroll)
                      Hypnosis Mic (Anipex/Funimation)
                      Is the Order a Rabbit? Bloom (Sentai)
                      Iwakakeru! Sport Climbing Girls (Crunchyroll)
                      Tsukiuta season 2 (Funimation)

The previous seasons of Tsukiuta and Is the Order a Rabbit were not dubbed, so they aren't happening. Eagle Talon is a gag show, Hypnosis Mic might never get a BD release seeing how it is one of the least watched shows this season, and Iwakakeru, best case scenario for that show I can reasonably expect is for Sentai to give it a sub-only BD release as it's a generic high school girls show that doesn't have much marketability.
                      Last edited by Buckeye; 10-26-2020, 11:30 PM.

Comment

The year is almost over, so I will soon be doing a clean sweep of the dubs and then start the thread for the 2021 dubs list. Among the dubs that will be part of 2021 include Strike Witches: Road to Berlin, which was announced, but the dub won't premiere until 2021, Attack on Titan: Final season as it premieres on Toonami in January, and Mr. Osomatsu season 1 as the long-awaited BD is coming.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                        Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                        Widgets Magazine
                        Working...
                        X