Widgets Magazine

2019 Dubs List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It has been awhile since I last updated this list. Announcements are coming in for which fall season shows will get simuldubs. Also, while Fate/Grand Order has been confirmed for a dub, that's probably going to be a 2020 dub, and while Chihayafuru 3 and Food Wars! The Fourth Plate are also getting dubs, whether it comes this year or next year remains to be seen (probably a yes for Chihayafuru, but no for Food Wars! since the third season dub is still in progress). For now, all the announced simuldubs have been added to the list.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Fyi, Sentai has just released a redub of the original Saint Seyia TV series on Netflix.

Comment

Now that all of the shows have premiered and I kind of have an idea of how good and marketable they will turn out to be that it's time that I do my seasonal assessment to determine which shows are likely getting dubs and which ones have the same odds as a Hail Mary pass. Several shows have already been confirmed for dubs, whether it be through simuldubs, dubcasts, Netflix licenses, or sequels.

Like always, I only do assessment for shows with episodes that are at least half-length and streaming somewhere in America except for shorts that have been picked up for home video licenses. Also, my assessment criteria will depend on who has the home video license and in the absence of that (like the Amazon shows), it will depend strictly on impressions and marketability. So with that, here is my assessment for dub likelihood for the Fall 2019 season.

Confirmed
        Actors: Songs Connection (Funimation simuldub, but broadcast is TBD)
        Africa Salaryman (Funimation simuldub)
        After School Dice Club (Funimation simuldub)
        Ahiru no Sora (Sentai Dubcast)
        Azur Lane (Funimation simuldub)
        Bananya and the Curious Bunch (Sequel)
        Beastars (Netflix)
        Cautious Hero (Funimation simuldub)
        Chihayafuru 3 (Sequel)
        Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average in the Next Life? (confirmed by Crunchyroll)
        Fairy Gone season 2 (Funimation simuldub)
        Fate/Grand Order: Absolute Demonic Front Babylonia (confirmed by Aniplex)
        Food Wars! The Fourth Plate (Sequel)
        Granblue Fantasy season 2 (Sequel)
        Hi Score Girl II (Netflix)
        High School Prodigies Have it Easy Even in Another World (confirmed by Crunchyroll)
        Kabukicho Sherlock (Funimation simuldub)
        Kemono Michi: Rise Up! (Funimation simuldub)
        Kono Oto Tomare! Sounds of Life (Funimation simuldub)
        Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These (Funimation simuldub)
        My Hero Academia season 4 (Funimation simuldub)
        No Guns Life (Funimation simuldub)
        Radiant Season 2 (Funimation simuldub)
        Seven Deadly Sins: Wrath of the Gods (Netflix)
        Special 7: Special Crime Investigation Unit (Funimation simuldub)
        Stand My Heroes: Piece of Truth (Funimation simuldub)
        Stars Align (Funimation simuldub)
        Sword Art Online Alicization: War of Underworld (Sequel)

Virtual Locks
        Ascendance of a Bookworm
        Babylon
        Blade of the Immortal
        Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode Oracle
        Psycho-Pass 3
        Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun

While PSO2 is currently sub-only, my gut feeling is that Funimation will start simuldubbing this show for the winter season once they get through the backload of simuldubs this season as studio usage has been maxed out, but the winter season figures to be much lighter. When the time is right, Funimation should be picking up the home video rights for Psycho-Pass season 3, which will guarantee a dub, but only if that happens. Babylon and Blade of the Immortal will almost certainly get dubs should they get picked up for home video by someone as they have a lot going for those shows. And then there's Bookworm and Iruma-kun that's getting pretty solid viewership, so I can see CR dubbing those show in due time.

50/50
        Assassins Pride
        Rifle is Beautiful

These two shows are Sentai licenses with compelling arguments both fore and against dubbing. Assassins Pride has the marketability, but so far the show hasn't been all that great. As for Rifle is Beautiful, I say it's closer to being a longshot seeing that it's another typical cute girls show that Sentai typically ignores for a dub (though more of these kinds of shows have been getting dubs lately from Sentai), but the artwork and antics, as well as the rifle action to push it barely into this tier.

Longshots
        True Cooking Master Boy
        Val x Love

Cooking Master Boy has that Food Wars! vibe going for it, but at the same time it just hasn't been a great show. And then there's Val x Love that's just a mess of a harem. But it has some marketability, so at the very least it's going to be a longshot.

Fuhgeddaboudit
        Kandagawa Jet Girls
        Oresuki
        Outburst Dreamer Boys
        We Never Learn season 2
        Z/X Code Reunion

While Oresuki and We Never Learn would get dubs by Funimation and have a good chance from Sentai, not a chance from Aniplex. I point to the fact that Aniplex skipped out on dubbing Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai, one of the best shows from last year and it's a show that would have been dubbed if it was licensed by anybody else but not by Aniplex. Oresuki and We Never Learn have lesser profiles in the slice of life genre, so that's why I say there's no chance at a dub for those two shows. Kandagawa Jet Girls is one of the season's worst shows, Z/X Code Reunion is just bland, and Outburst Dreamer Boys only has comedy going for it and that's not enough to overcome its limited marketability.
        Last edited by Buckeye; 11-16-2019, 10:29 PM.
        Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
        Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
        The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

A lot of dubs have just been announced today, so I'm going to list them here. I won't list them just yet on the master list because 2019 is almost over and some of these might not start until 2020, which would bump them onto the 2020 list.

BanG Dream! (Sentai, and oddly enough only season 2 was officially announced, but not season 1)
          O Maidens in Your Savage Season (Sentai)
          Run With the Wind (Sentai)
          To-Love Ru (Sentai)
          Ascendance of a Bookworm (Crunchyroll)
          If It's For My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord (Crunchyroll)
          Magical Sempai (Crunchyroll)
          Welcome to Demon School! Iruma-kun (Crunchyroll)

O Maidens will be coming in December, while To-Love Ru will be coming in March. Sentai also licensed Fragtime, and chances are it will get a dub, but probably not until next year when they begin the theatrical release. Lastly, the simuldub for LGH:DNT Second is now up, and while a dub has been announced for Actors, there's no telling when it will go up and what list it goes on at the moment.

So looking at Sentai's shows for 2019, here are the shows remaining whose decision on dubs has yet to be made.

Winter 2019
          Bermuda Triangle
          Dimension High School
          Grimms Notes
          W'z

Spring 2019
          Namu Amida Butsu! Utena
          Senryu Girl

Summer 2019
          Re:Stage! Dream Days
          The Demon Girl Next Door
          Wasteful Days of High School Girls

Fall 2019
          Kandagawa Jet Girls
          Outburst Dreamer Boys
          Rifle is Beautiful
          Val x Love
          Z/X Code Reunion

Of these shows, The Demon Girl Next Door certainly has the best chance of getting a dub. While Senryu Girl has a case for a dub, that show is going to be really tough to dub, though it helps that the poems just need to be funny rather than elegant. Aside from those two, I can't see anything else getting dubs from this year's Sentai licenses.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine
          Working...
          X