Widgets Magazine

List of Amazon Dubs + TBD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first of the Amazon-exclusive dubs is now up (at least the first two episodes), and the Kabaneri dub happens to be on Funimation. So that means Amazon's exclusiveness appears to apply only to the subbed version unlike with Netflix, and that streaming rights to the dubbed shows is a separate thing. Of course, there's no hard evidence to back this up. Anyway, that brings hope for their shows to not only get dubbed, but to appear elsewhere.

Looking at their list, Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul is a lock for a dub as Funimation is do what it takes to get the home video rights, while Re:Creators is pretty much a shoo-in for a dub from Aniplex. So to assess each title through the Winter 2018 season:

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress - Dub is now out on Funimation (first two episodes at the moment)
    Battery - Nope
    The Great Passage - While the show is worth watching, I can't see it being dubbed.
    Scum's Wish - Somebody might take a chance on dubbing this, but I don't see it happening.
    Onihei - Doesn't have mass appeal, so negative on this.
    Re:Creators - Aniplex is showing lots of enthusiasm for this show despite not having officially licensed it at this point, so I think it is going to happen. Not to mention, Rei Hiroe is a big name, while there's the Hiroyuki Sawano connection in that every TV series Sawano has composed the music for (save for a few very early in his career) has been dubbed.
    Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul - It's gonna happen. Funimation wants it to dub it and if it weren't for Amazon's Animeism deal, they would have simuldubbed it for sure.
    Saekano Flat - First season wasn't dubbed, so Aniplex is not going to dub this season, either.
    Dive!! - It is one of the worst shows ever on Noitamina (at least recently), so it's not happening.
    Lights of the Clione - Not something with much substance, so no.
    Altair: A Record of Battles - Probably not going to happen since many viewers are soured by the way the anime adapted the manga. The only way I could see it getting a dub is if Funimation gets the home video rights, but it looks like Aniplex is the publisher, and knowing they they are probably not even going to give it a home video release, neither by AoA or anybody else.
    Welcome to the Ballroom - The content merits a dub, but it's up to Pony Canyon, who isn't really on top of things. I say it has a very good chance of getting one seeing that Pony Canyon doesn't exactly have much else these days.
    Inuyashiki - Mark this one down for a dub as it has been an excellent show, and certainly being by the same guy who did Gantz that its cause is bolstered even further.
    Yuki Yuna is a Hero season 2 - The first season was dubbed, so this season is certainly going to happen.
    Love is Like After the Rain - It's hard to tell what this show is going to end up being, but based on the source material being award-winning and Wit doing the animation, pretty solid chance it happens.
    Kokkoku: Moment by Moment - Kind of hard to say at this point. Based on premise, it has a solid chance, and I'll leave it at that.
    Beatless - With character designs by the same person who did Guilty Crown and Harmony that it's something that Funi would be all over, however I think Aniplex is the publisher. Anyway, I say it gets a dub based on this blind assessment.
    Killing Bites - This looks like a show Funimation loves to go after, but again it's hard to make an assessment without watching it.

So to summarize based on chances:

It's Happening - Kabaneri, Re:Creators, Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul, Inuyashiki, Yuki Yuna season 2, Beatless
    Maybe - Scum's Wish, Altair, Welcome to the Ballroom, After the Rain, Kokkoku, Killing Bites
    Not Happening - Battery, The Great Passage, Onihei, Saekano Flat, Dive!!, Lights of the Clione

Of course, licensing issues will play a huge factor, but I'm ignoring that and making the assessment based on the show's reception and marketability, which are the two most important aspects in determining what shows get dubbed (at least post-simulcast it does).
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Haru, My Roommate is a Cat
    Watching: And Yet the Town Moves, Super Sonico, Hayate the Combat Butler season 2, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
      The first of the Amazon-exclusive dubs is now up (at least the first two episodes), and the Kabaneri dub happens to be on Funimation. So that means Amazon's exclusiveness appears to apply only to the subbed version unlike with Netflix, and that streaming rights to the dubbed shows is a separate thing. Of course, there's no hard evidence to back this up. Anyway, that brings hope for their shows to not only get dubbed, but to appear elsewhere.

Looking at their list, Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul is a lock for a dub as Funimation is do what it takes to get the home video rights, while Re:Creators is pretty much a shoo-in for a dub from Aniplex. So to assess each title through the Winter 2018 season:

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress - Dub is now out on Funimation (first two episodes at the moment)
      Battery - Nope
      The Great Passage - While the show is worth watching, I can't see it being dubbed.
      Scum's Wish - Somebody might take a chance on dubbing this, but I don't see it happening.
      Onihei - Doesn't have mass appeal, so negative on this.
      Re:Creators - Aniplex is showing lots of enthusiasm for this show despite not having officially licensed it at this point, so I think it is going to happen. Not to mention, Rei Hiroe is a big name, while there's the Hiroyuki Sawano connection in that every TV series Sawano has composed the music for (save for a few very early in his career) has been dubbed.
      Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul - It's gonna happen. Funimation wants it to dub it and if it weren't for Amazon's Animeism deal, they would have simuldubbed it for sure.
      Saekano Flat - First season wasn't dubbed, so Aniplex is not going to dub this season, either.
      Dive!! - It is one of the worst shows ever on Noitamina (at least recently), so it's not happening.
      Lights of the Clione - Not something with much substance, so no.
      Altair: A Record of Battles - Probably not going to happen since many viewers are soured by the way the anime adapted the manga. The only way I could see it getting a dub is if Funimation gets the home video rights, but it looks like Aniplex is the publisher, and knowing they they are probably not even going to give it a home video release, neither by AoA or anybody else.
      Welcome to the Ballroom - The content merits a dub, but it's up to Pony Canyon, who isn't really on top of things. I say it has a very good chance of getting one seeing that Pony Canyon doesn't exactly have much else these days.
      Inuyashiki - Mark this one down for a dub as it has been an excellent show, and certainly being by the same guy who did Gantz that its cause is bolstered even further.
      Yuki Yuna is a Hero season 2 - The first season was dubbed, so this season is certainly going to happen.
      Love is Like After the Rain - It's hard to tell what this show is going to end up being, but based on the source material being award-winning and Wit doing the animation, pretty solid chance it happens.
      Kokkoku: Moment by Moment - Kind of hard to say at this point. Based on premise, it has a solid chance, and I'll leave it at that.
      Beatless - With character designs by the same person who did Guilty Crown and Harmony that it's something that Funi would be all over, however I think Aniplex is the publisher. Anyway, I say it gets a dub based on this blind assessment.
      Killing Bites - This looks like a show Funimation loves to go after, but again it's hard to make an assessment without watching it.

So to summarize based on chances:

It's Happening - Kabaneri, Re:Creators, Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul, Inuyashiki, Yuki Yuna season 2, Beatless
      Maybe - Scum's Wish, Altair, Welcome to the Ballroom, After the Rain, Kokkoku, Killing Bites
      Not Happening - Battery, The Great Passage, Onihei, Saekano Flat, Dive!!, Lights of the Clione

Of course, licensing issues will play a huge factor, but I'm ignoring that and making the assessment based on the show's reception and marketability, which are the two most important aspects in determining what shows get dubbed (at least post-simulcast it does).
      Great write-up! I would say your predictions are pretty similar to what I would go with. I'd put Scum's wish on the happening section because it was very popular. Good to see Beatless get mentioned because I forgot to add it to the list. I don't know if I'll put my faith in Beatless since it seems like it's pretty cheap, Guilty crown was no masterpiece but it had pretty good production values, the PV's from Beatless are fairly lackluster and don't really adapt the Guilty crown designer's designs for the Beatless novels. It can go either way, I can see this becoming really popular or just stagnating in the West.

I really do wonder what's gonna happen to these shows, besides Kabaneri which was licensed by CR and Ballroom+Yuki Yuna which are PonyCan, we haven't really heard any news for all of these other things.

Note: Added Beatless to the list. It is an Animeism block show.

Comment

We've know for a while that Magical Girl Site will be on the Animeism Block in Spring 2018 and Beatless will have 24 episodes.

Comment

I've added
          Otakoi: Otaku Can't Fall in Love?!(Noitamina block)
          Souten no Ken Re:Genesis
          Vinland Saga
          Karakuri Circus
          Dororo

Comment

Souten no Ken Re:Genesis has been removed. CR has the license. I guess I was wrong and the Amazon announcement was for Japan only or something like that, my bad.

Comment

Also want to update the list. It's been confirmed that Scum's Wish is getting a dub by Sentai Filmworks: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...sh-dub/.131412
              Avatar: Sizuru Nakatsu from Rewrite! (if the anime and VN gets an English dub, Faye Mata should voice this character)

Comment

Hopefully more of these shows can come out on BD with a dub soon. Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul should be the next show to get a dub as it began in the spring and nothing else before then that remains (Battery, The Great Passage, and Onihei) doesn't have the profile to make it worth dubbing. Not to mention, Funimation dubbed the first season and it would have been simuldubbed had it not been on Animeism (which Genesis was not a part of) and was the first show to be part of their deal with Amazon. Activity for these titles should be picking up now that it's about the time when BDs of the spring season shows, which is when Amazon expanded its catalog by leaps and bounds, can be solicited.
                MyAnimeList | Avatar: Haru, My Roommate is a Cat
                Watching: And Yet the Town Moves, Super Sonico, Hayate the Combat Butler season 2, Toonami Stuff
                Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
                The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine
                Working...
                X