Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• List of Amazon Dubs + TBD

Widgets Magazine
    Amazon has shown interest in the anime streaming market and they have the exclusive streaming rights and potentially disc rights for a growing number of anime on a seasonal basis. With them coming into the market, a certain level of uncertainty has become present because we don't know how Amazon will handle the distribution of their titles and we don't know the likelihood of these titles receiving dubs. I'll make this list so we can speculate and follow what gets dubbed, by who and if any other companies pick up the disc rights and potentially make a dub.

We know that Amazon have an exclusivity deal with the Noitamina and the Animeism television blocks in Japan, so whatever will air on those 2 blocks will be automatically picked up by Amazon, we do not know for how long these deals will continue, but I assume they are at least 2 years long. And their licensing isn't limited to those 2 television blocks.

I'll arrange things in the order they aired seasonally and they are sorted by their air date.

I will bold the anime that have confirmed dubs.

2016:
    Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress (Licensed by CR, dub produced by Funimation to release in 2018 on disc)
    Battery (Status TBD)
    Chi's Sweet Adventure (2016 version, season 1) (Status TBD)
    ViVid Strike! (Status TBD)
    The Great Passage (Status TBD)
    Shin chan Spin-off vol.1 Aliens vs. Shinnosuke (Aug 2016 to Oct 2016) (Status TBD)

2017:

Winter
    Onihei (Status TBD)
    Scum's Wish (Status TBD)

Spring
    Re:Creators (Status TBD)
    Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul (Status TBD, season 1 was dubbed and licensed by Funimation)
    Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend .flat (Status TBD, season 1 was licensed by AoA, but it wasn't dubbed, so it's most likely not getting a dub)

Summer
    Welcome to the Ballroom (Status TBD)
    DIVE!! (Status TBD)
    Altair: A Record of Battles (Status TBD)
    Clione no Akari (Status TBD)

Fall
    Inuyashiki (Status TBD)
    Yuki Yuna is A Hero - The Washio Sumi Chapter- / -Hero Chapter- (Status TBD, S1 is licensed by PonyCan US and it was dubbed by them)

Winter

Beatless (Animeism block) (Status TBD)
    Killing Bites (Animeism block) (Status TBD)
    Koi wa Ameagari no You ni (Noitamina block) (Status TBD)
    Kokkoku: Moment by Moment (Status TBD)

Spring
    Magical Girl Site (Animeism Block)
    Otakoi: Otaku Can't Fall in Love?!(Noitamina block)

Summer
    Banana Fish (the manga is long, so it seems like the Kabaneri sequel will likely be a movie after all, or even multiple movies Edit: -my prediction was right, Kabaneri is a film and Banana fish will be two cours long)

Later, possibly in 2019
    Vinland Saga
    Karakuri Circus
    Dororo (could be Fall 2018)

Other:
    Amazon have dubbed some very niche recent anime, I doubt many people even know these anime exist, I'll just put these in this category. Their dubs were released in 2016.

Ronja, the Robber's Daughter
    (Dubbed, aired in 2014)
    Sinbad Film Trilogy (only 2 movies are dubbed)
    Last edited by Jin12; 03-31-2018, 06:50 PM.

I'm presuming we'll have to wait until Re: Creators finishes airing before finding out if AoA licenses it for home video release. Surprised we haven't heard anything regarding Scum's Wish. Thought AoA would have licensed it by now considering its popularity and its ratings showing it's been well received.

Wouldn't mind see a dub of Scum's Wish but I'll be happy with just a Re: Creators dub. Only watched a few episodes of the sub as I'm holding out for a dub.

Note: I'm under the assumption that Amazon only has the streaming rights to both these shows since Aniplex JP is a producer for both.
    Last edited by Hachi-Man; 07-07-2017, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hachi-Man View Post
      I'm presuming we'll have to wait until Re: Creators finishes airing before finding out if AoA licenses it for home video release. Surprised we haven't heard anything regarding Scum's Wish. Thought AoA would have licensed it by now considering its popularity and its ratings showing it's been well received.

Wouldn't mind see a dub of Scum's Wish but I'll be happy with just a Re: Creators dub. Only watched a few episodes of the sub as I'm holding out for a dub.

Note: I'm under the assumption that Amazon only has the streaming rights to both these shows since Aniplex JP is a producer for both.
      The problem is, AoA don't seem to license and release things they don't have the streaming rights for.

Comment

Originally posted by Jin12 View Post

The problem is, AoA don't seem to license and release things they don't have the streaming rights for.
        Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. So there's still hope that Funimation could acquire these titles? Although, I'd argue Sentai has a better chance since they already have the Anime Strike partnership (as you mentioned in the 2017 dubs list thread). I'm sure Sentai would love to pick up Aniplex produced titles for these popular shows. Would be big grabs for them.

This is of course assuming that Amazon doesn't plan to dip into the home video release market? Netflix being a prime example of that. Acquiring streaming rights but then letting Sentai (Knights of Sidonia, Ajin, etc.) or Funimation (Seven Deadly Sins) have the home video rights.
        Last edited by Hachi-Man; 07-07-2017, 11:56 AM.

Comment

Interesting. I wasn't aware of that. So there's still hope that Funimation could acquire these titles? Although, I'd argue Sentai has a better chance since they already have the Anime Strike partnership (as you mentioned in the 2017 dubs list thread). I'm sure Sentai would love to pick up Aniplex produced titles for these popular shows. Would be big grabs for them.

This is of course assuming that Amazon doesn't plan to dip into the home video release market? Netflix being a prime example of that. Acquiring streaming rights but then letting Sentai (Knights of Sidonia, Ajin, etc.) or Funimation (Seven Deadly Sins) have the home video rights.
          It is highly possible that Sentai or Funimation could release the Amazon stuff.

Comment

Additional notations:
            - Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress: Crunchyroll home video license; Funimation handling dub & home video release distribution
            - Sinbad Film Trilogy: only 2 of 3 streaming movies are dubbed (A Flying Princess and a Secret Island is not dubbed)

Not listed (I don't see these getting dubbed):
            - Chi's Sweet Adventure (Oct 2016 - Sept 2017; unknown if Amz will get Season 2)
            - Shin chan Spin-off vol.1 Aliens vs. Shinnosuke (Aug 2016 to Oct 2016)
            - ViVid Strike! (Oct 2016 to Dec 2016)

Other catalog titles streaming only @ Amazon (no U.S. home video release):
            - Delinquent Hamsters
            - Magical Girl Lyrical NANOHA StrikerS
            - Sweet Family Robinson (dub)

Comment

The publisher for Re:Creators may not be Aniplex. It could be ABC Animation. It could be someone else as well. Aniplex Japan is not always the international publisher for all Aniplex titles.

I highly doubt Amazon has any plans to release the various exclusive streaming series themselves. As you noted, the Netflix approach is very possible. People just have to be patient. If there are any news, it may not show up until much closer to home video release.

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
                The publisher for Re:Creators may not be Aniplex. It could be ABC Animation. It could be someone else as well. Aniplex Japan is not always the international publisher for all Aniplex titles.
                Well, I hope that is the case then as it opens up the opportunity for Sentai or Funimation to acquire the title instead of AoA. Much more affordable PE sets and still a good chance for a dub.

I highly doubt Amazon has any plans to release the various exclusive streaming series themselves. As you noted, the Netflix approach is very possible. People just have to be patient. If there are any news, it may not show up until much closer to home video release.
                As long it's licensed for home video rights shortly after it finishes airing after Summer 2017, I'm game. Just hope it doesn't sit in limbo for long.

Comment

Originally posted by WTK View Post
                  Additional notations:
                  - Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress: Crunchyroll home video license; Funimation handling dub & home video release distribution
                  - Sinbad Film Trilogy: only 2 of 3 streaming movies are dubbed (A Flying Princess and a Secret Island is not dubbed)

Not listed (I don't see these getting dubbed):
                  - Chi's Sweet Adventure (Oct 2016 - Sept 2017; unknown if Amz will get Season 2)
                  - Shin chan Spin-off vol.1 Aliens vs. Shinnosuke (Aug 2016 to Oct 2016)
                  - ViVid Strike! (Oct 2016 to Dec 2016)

Other catalog titles streaming only @ Amazon (no U.S. home video release):
                  - Delinquent Hamsters
                  - Magical Girl Lyrical NANOHA StrikerS
                  - Sweet Family Robinson (dub)
                  Thanks, I finally made some time to update the list with your info.

Comment

Added Yuki Yuna is A Hero - The Washio Sumi Chapter- / -Hero Chapter-

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/dail...lineup/.122213

Comment

We finally got an update on Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress. But who knows when in 2018.

"Funimation's Blu-ray Disc/DVD combo pack release of Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress is slated for 2018, and a dub announcement is forthcoming."

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...anuary/.122336

Comment

Originally posted by Jin12 View Post
                        We finally got an update on Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress. But who knows when in 2018.
                        Since they say the dub cast is forthcoming, it's very likely to be early in the year (or at least planned for that now).

Comment

Added Kokkoku: Moment by Moment to the list.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-manga/.122775

Comment

Added Banana Fish, since it's suddenly getting an adaptation, thank you, Noitamina.

http://bananafish.tv/

Comment

A little bit late, but we found out that Killing Bites is one of the shows airing on the Animeism block for Winter 2018, so that means Amazon will stream it.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1679315

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X