Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IRIA: ZEIRAM The Animation

Widgets Magazine
    For some reason I hadn't gotten around to viewing this vintage OVA, but when I heard its dub was done by the same studio who did Record of Lodoss War OVA, National Video Center, I became intrigued. A lot of people consider Lodoss OVA's dub to be unlistenable or on their "worst dub" lists, but I've always considered it a decent dub for a 1996 production, and I stand by it today.

Therefore I was curious to see how well Iria compares. Hearing similar smacktalking about this particular dub as well, I was expecting the worst.

It DOES have the feel of a 1990's dub: a mixture of solid casting choices and eccentric choices, as well as the occasional missed line. And the lip-sync isn't seamless. There is also the occasional script line that sounds very choppy: "Nerve dead, too!" But so far I don't find anything particularly grating about it. I don't consider it as memorable as the aforementioned Lodoss dub, but it sounded fine to me. The dub does start off a bit rough at times with some voices taking some getting used to. But so far I haven't heard any truly grating performances. The best for me, so far, is Stacie Lynn Renna, who does a great job in the lead role of Iria, putting enough spunk and life into her part. Chris Yates (who was great as Kashue in Lodoss) is adequate as her brother but a bit odd to hear, at least at first. He does get better in the action scenes, though. I don't know how I feel about Gary Suson as Bob, though; his voice is appropriately deep for the role, but so far his delivery is only passable, but not great. Andrew Thorson isn't anything amazing as Fujikuro either, but he didn't grate on me either. I was pleasantly surprised to hear Al Muscari as Puttubayah; his turn as Slayn from Lodoss was one of my favorites from that dub, and he sounds solid here, appropriately subdued and dramatic when need be. I wouldn't say his performance is anything spectacular, but at the very least it is pleasant on the ears. The only voices that I found to be a bit iffy were some of the minor ones, particularly one awkwardly delivered "you mean... we can go?" That felt kinda iffy to me.

I've only made my way through half of episode 1, but so far I don't find anything particularly offensive about the dub. I wouldn't say it's anything spectacular, but at the very least it's certainly not a bad dub and at worst, it's definitely passable. I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

Re: IRIA: ZEIRAM The Animation

Originally posted by JTurner View Post
    I've only made my way through half of episode 1, but so far I don't find anything particularly offensive about the dub. I wouldn't say it's anything spectacular, but at the very least it's certainly not a bad dub and at worst, it's definitely passable. I'd give it a 7 out of 10.
    It is a good dub for its day, but too little to judge from that. Gary Suson's best material comes later...
    Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
    TFP Forum Rules

Comment

@bctaris, I'm willing to believe you. I intend to keep going.

Lodoss War OVA started out a bit rough with everyone trying to get into character, but the meatier material came from episodes 4-13 afterward. So far Iria gives me the same vibe. I'm willing to give Gary Suson the benefit of the doubt. I'm surprised that this series is so short, though.

Comment

Having finished listening to the dub, I have to admit that I am utterly ashamed of myself for taking so long to see this. Iria: Zeiram is a bit too short, and the ending kinda seems abrupt, but I still quite enjoyed it. The dub is mostly very good: my only issues is that there are a couple of passionate moments that I felt could have been a bit stronger in places, and the lipsync is off in places, but because this is a low-budget production, it doesn't feel as distracting. The key performances are very solid throughout. While I was unsure about Gary Suson, once he basically becomes HAL 9000 via a hologram, I found his detached, stiff voice to work in favor of that character. I was also surprised to hear Bill Timoney in minor roles. It was also refreshing to hear Slayn's VA, Al Muscari, portraying a villain for a change. Other than a few rushed lines, he sounded solid. Oliver Wyman was also surprisingly good as the Doctor; while I was iffy about his turn as Wagnard in the Lodoss TV series (although I didn't dislike him), I did enjoy him as Mr. Miyazawa in His and Hers, and he seemed well suited to the grumpy doctor. My only quibble was that the kids in that one episode didn't seem convincing, although I did warm up to the central boy and girl.

The scripting is fine for the most part, although there are iffy lines. After evaluating it, my score hovers somewhere inbetween 7 and 8. Writing this review, though, I'd say that 7 seems about right.

Comment

In a time where dubbing studios were soul searching, this one was pretty good. It was one of the first anime titles I watched on DVD that effectively put an end to deciding what language to buy my anime in (although in this case, it was a rental). What I remember the most is Gary Suson letting Iria know that he ain't her chauffeur when she was being carried around fighting off bioterrorists. Nevertheless, New York had a pretty mixed track record back in the day as several dubs were done by lesser-known studios rather than the ones that had the likes of Lisa Ortiz, Eric Stuart, and Rachel Lillis among others as regulars in their dubs.
          MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nene Yoshiro, Toilet-bound Hanako-kun
          Watching: Luck & Logic, Soul Link, Happiness, Toonami Stuff
          Simulcasts: FGO, MHA, MJN, CHF, HIQ, TOA-R, ISQ, YUC, YKN, IIV, EIZ, SET, IBG, SML, OBD, JSH, RKO, SRW, PMM, INS
          The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

No kidding. NYC back in the 1990's, or at least the early 90's were one of the least consistent areas to put out consistently great dubs. Central Park Media was the bulk of it, and they did churn out quite a bit of stinkers in their time: M.D. Geist was absolutely unforgivably awful. And of course Garzey's Wing is often singled out for abuse (which I didn't see). I've also disliked their dubs for RG Veda, Shadowstar Narutaru: both were absolutely dull and robotic.

Comment

Didn't think this dub was good or bad, really. In the Japanese track Fujikuro is Shigeru Chiba, so that's a point it in favor IMO. Nothing else really stood out to me. But other than that, this is a pretty fun OVA. Very glad we got a remastered version of it.

Comment

Originally posted by JTurner View Post
                The scripting is fine for the most part, although there are iffy lines.
                "I eat what I eat!" Or something like that. From Iria in one scene with Fujikiro, where she's tearing off a piece of some weird snack, which for some reason always stuck with me as an awkward adaption.

But I would have heard this around the same time as Slayers, very early on. Never one of my favorite dubs, but I liked Renna in it, and Suson's Bob is a classic, and it's a very serviceable example of where CPM and later MB could have gone in New York dubs, along with of TAJ, but instead of relying as much on Matlin, or more unfortunate, Audioworks. (Would have enjoyed more from Arlen Tarlovsky's too underused Mercury, as well.)

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                Nevertheless, New York had a pretty mixed track record back in the day as several dubs were done by lesser-known studios rather than the ones that had the likes of Lisa Ortiz, Eric Stuart, and Rachel Lillis among others as regulars in their dubs.
                Yes and no. Just those name above did work, eventually, with all sorts of studios in New York, long after Iria came out. (Ortiz, same time she was starting out with Slayers was in several National Sound dubs.) CPM's main studios last half of the 90s into the turn were TAJ, Matlin, Mercury, and Audioworks, all of which used much the same talent base, to varying degrees. There was only really a brief period in the 90s where it seemed there were a bunch, with odd ducks like Skypilot (which used Matlin's facilities for a couple things) and Sound Dimensions, but only for a handful of dubs. Those first, main, four did the bulk of it, even as Headline and NYAV came on the scene.
                Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
                TFP Forum Rules

Comment

IRIA: ZEIRAM The Animation, to me is just one of those Animes that you love and you overlook any and all flaws it may have.
                  It is a product of it's time and it's easy to tell just by looking at it, much like with the Dirty Pair Movie & Ova's .
                  ( I can't comment on the Series )

But I've never noticed anything too out of place with the Dub to ever make note of it,
                  and I've re-watched Zeiram the Animation 3 or 4 times now.

But after reading this Thread I'm sure I'll be drawn to watching for any flaw in the Dub next time I re-watch it now.

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                    PM's main studios last half of the 90s into the turn were TAJ, Matlin, Mercury, and Audioworks, all of which used much the same talent base, to varying degrees. There was only really a brief period in the 90s where it seemed there were a bunch, with odd ducks like Skypilot (which used Matlin's facilities for a couple things) and Sound Dimensions, but only for a handful of dubs. Those first, main, four did the bulk of it, even as Headline and NYAV came on the scene.
                    The only Audioworks dub I ever saw in its entirety (and regretted!) was M.D. Geist. That WAS an absolutely awful dub, as were Shadowstar Narutaru and Garzey's Wing, from what I've heard. Apparently Audioworks didn't have a very good reputation, and it's probably the reason why CPM got such a bad reputation with Anime fans since most of their titles were dubbed there.

I know Night on the Galactic Railroad and Animation Runner Kuromi came from Mercury, and I thought those two dubs were good, but R.G. Veda was pretty dull. I hadn't realized how many facilities CPM went through until these insightful posts. No wonder their output was inconsistent.

But luckily they did have some good titles. Iria included.

Comment

Not sure if I've ever watched Iria dubbed. I agree the Animation Runner Kuromi dub is great.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                      Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                      Widgets Magazine
                      Working...
                      X