• Show
Clear All

• Hunter x Hunter Dub Discussion

Widgets Magazine
    Bang Zoom is the dubbing studio:
    https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/716050685712670720

Re: Hunter X Hunter

Originally posted by AbZeroNow View Post
    Yeah figures. Guess I stand corrected on Studiopolis doing HxH, since they currently have two long runners in their plate (Naruto and Sailor Moon), and Viz didn't want to stress their biggest client by adding in another long running show, which would delay the progress on one of the two long running shows. Not upset about this, since many of us knew it was going to be a Bang Zoom! production from the start ever since Justin Sevakis teased us that he was working on an unnounced Viz title that was going to be announced at New York Comic Con of last year, and this was the show. Frankly, I have a good feeling that BZ! is going to knock it out of the ballpark for the HxH dub, since the studio has a lot more voice directors compared to Studiopolis which only has like two to three at the studio (Suzanne Goldish, Jamie Simone, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn). In addition, the voice director(s) will do an excellent job, handling the performances on the voice actors dubbing the characters and the different story arcs HxH has.

Beyond that, this is a BIG surprise if you ask me, since this will be the first long running show Bang Zoom! has dub in almost a decade since Eureka Seven (although Doraemon could also count since it is a long-running show despite the English dub having two seasons of 26 episodes). But the first time BZ! dubs an 100+ episode series, given that most of the shows they dub throughout their history tend to be 12-13 or 24-26 episode anime series.

Now regardless of which dub (non-union or Union) the series will become (though it looks to be far-fetched this would be unionized), I do want to say this: Please, have the other voice actors (particularly the new ones that have not been used as often at BZ!) involved and getting roles rather than just re-using the same voice actors in your dubs over and over again. I know shouldn't make a fuss about it, but come at least the new voice actors that BZ! rarely uses need to have their cake and eat it too, you know.

Lastly, I do hope that once they air this show on Toonami in two weeks time, I really want for them to include English credits, instead of leaving the series opening and credits in Japanese, just like what happened to Shippuden.

But other than that looking forward for Hunter X Hunter airing on Toonami, and this would be a huge sign that Williams Street would increase their relationship with Viz Media a lot more, since the only Viz title currently airing on the block is Naruto Shippuden.
    Last edited by Animefan1995; 04-04-2016, 01:47 PM. Reason: Rewording some sentences to make more sense

Comment

Here is the first English promo of Hunter x Hunter that aired during Toonami Preflight, and the promo is expected to premiere next Saturday.

From the promo we got our first listen to Cristina Vee as Killua, along with listening to more of Erica Mendez, Matt Mercer, and Erika Harlacher's dialogue as Gon, Leorio and Kurapika respectively.

In addition, we also got our first listen of Menchi and Mito Freecss (Gon's Aunt). Mito could be Michelle Ruff after listening to her brief dialogue from the promo, since the Japanese voice actress who voices Mito also voiced Luna in the original Sailor Moon, which Michelle Ruff does the voice in the Viz redub, but that's just me. As for Menchi, I'm not sure on the voice but it is either Cherami Leigh (since she voiced Lucy Heartfilia in Fairy Tail, which was a role originally voiced by Aya Hirano who voiced Menchi in HxH 2011) or Lauren Landa.

http://youtu.be/lAgXr5IC1rI
      Last edited by Animefan1995; 04-02-2016, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Mito sounded like Racheal Lillis to me actually
        "All's the world has anger issues" - Alphanega

My Anime Planet List

Comment

Originally posted by Animefan1995 View Post
          Now regardless of which dub (non-union or Union) the series will become (though it looks to be far-fetched this would be unionized), I do want to say this: Please, have the other voice actors (particularly the new ones that have not been used as often at BZ!) involved and getting roles rather than just re-using the same voice actors in your dubs over and over again. I know shouldn't make a fuss about it, but come at least the new voice actors that BZ! rarely uses need to have their cake and eat it too, you know.
          Having different and/or new voices and VAs are nice, but the thing is that for the people working in anime, it is - first and foremost - a business and a job. Many of them are fans and probably most of them are, but that is secondary.

So, if you are a dub studio, a director, and or anyone else involved in the production, you can and often are faced with either casting different and/or new voices - or you can cast VAs that you have a good knowledge of because you have a production budget and project schedule that you have to keep, that requires having someone in the recording booth who record the lines right, the first time, and every time.

C.T.
          You never know who you might be walking next to one day - LT Michael P. Murphy, USN, MOH, 28 June 2005 - Penn State Class of 1998

Comment

Originally posted by cxt217 View Post
            Having different and/or new voices and VAs are nice, but the thing is that for the people working in anime, it is - first and foremost - a business and a job. Many of them are fans and probably most of them are, but that is secondary.

So, if you are a dub studio, a director, and or anyone else involved in the production, you can and often are faced with either casting different and/or new voices - or you can cast VAs that you have a good knowledge of because you have a production budget and project schedule that you have to keep, that requires having someone in the recording booth who record the lines right, the first time, and every time.

C.T.
            You do bring up a good point, and took the words right from my mouth. Honestly, I was worried that Bang Zoom! simply just choose the current voice actors in their dubs just for preference and "being their favorites", which is exactly 100% not true!!! It's like you said, it is a job and a business for the voice actors and directors working on the dubs, along with having the challenge on casting either new voice actors or voice actors that have a lot of knowledge and experience, while maintaining a production budget and schedule that the recording studio or director have to keep.
            Last edited by Animefan1995; 04-24-2016, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Re: Hunter x Hunter

Tony Oliver has been confirmed to direct the dub.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleWarrior13 View Post
                Interesting to hear Bang Zoom working on a longer show. Viz usually gets Studiopolis to dub their bigger franchises (Naruto, Bleach, Sailor Moon, etc)
                I know right. Viz Media tends to use Studiopolis for the popular anime franchises they licensed (Naruto, Bleach, and Sailor Moon), along with a few others dubbed here like K and Tiger & Bunny (although unlike the former, this one is considered to a popular title from Sunrise). But I had a feeling that Viz decided not to send this show over to Studiopolis, since the recording studio was most likely busy dubbing their two long runners on their plate (Naruto and Sailor Moon). Because of this, Viz realized they didn't want to stress their biggest client by adding in another long running show, which would delay the progress on one of the two long running shows, so they decided to send Hunter x Hunter to Bang Zoom!.

It seems that Viz Media would ONLY use Bang Zoom! Entertainment as an alternate recording studio for their licensed shows if:

1. The previous recording studio they use (Studiopolis), is currently busy dubbing several anime titles for them or some other company, and either don't have the time to dub another anime show or their is not enough space to record here.

2. The licensed show is a one-cour or two-cour series

and/or

3. The licensed show isn't based on a big popular franchise (Naruto, Bleach and Sailor Moon)

I'm still wondering which recording studio Viz is going to use for their One-Punch Man and Terra Formars dubs respectively!

Originally posted by Pika Hikari KT View Post
                Awesome. I knew Tony Oliver was one of the likely candidates to voice direct the show. He is easily one of Bang Zoom!'s best voice directors they have here, as not only was he responsible for voice directing the incredible Gurren Lagann dub that we all like, but he is also responsible on handling the dubs for Fate/Zero, Magi, Eureka Seven, Love Live!, and K-On. In addition, he always puts a lot of emphasis with the voice actors and the performance involved in each of the dub's he's directing. Looking forward to Tony's direction in Hunter x Hunter once it airs on Toonami, and whether or not he will direct the entirety of the show!
                Last edited by Animefan1995; 04-06-2016, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Toonami Pre-Flight had aired two days ago and the team (Jason DeMarco and Gill Austin) went into discussion on Hunter X Hunter in the first 8 minutes. They played a first-look clip of the show's first episode which begins at 5:33-8:10. Besides hearing more of the two Eric(k)as and Matt's dialogue of their characters respectively sounding awesome as always, we also got our first listen to the Ship Captain and Katzo. Katzo sounds like Max Mittelman or Erik Kimerer to me, as for the Ship Captain I'm not to sure since I can't put my finger on where I heard the voice before.

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/toon...pril-8th-2016/
                  Last edited by Animefan1995; 04-10-2016, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Toonami Pre-Flight had aired two days ago and the team (Jason DeMarco and Gill Austin) went into discussion on Hunter X Hunter in the first 8 minutes. They played a first-look clip of the show's first episode which begins at 5:33-8:10. Besides hearing more of the two Eric(k)as and Matt's dialogue of their characters respectively sounding awesome as always, we also got our first listen to the Ship Captain and Katzo. Katzo sounds like Max Mittelman or Erik Kimerer to me, as for the Ship Captain I'm not to sure since I can't put my finger on where I heard the voice before.

http://www.adultswim.com/videos/toon...pril-8th-2016/
                    Just listened to it. That's definently Micheal McConnieh as the Sea Captain and pretty sure that's Lucien Dodge as Katzo

My Anime Planet List

Comment

Hunter x Hunter has just aired it's first episode on Toonami, in addition we got the names of the voice actors (outside of the main voice cast) voicing the characters listed below from the Episode 1 credits.

Rachael Lillis - Mito Freecss
                      Barbara Goodson - Gon's Great-Grandmother

Hank Ketchum - Captain
                      Lucien Dodge - Katzo

Hank Ketchum - Narrator

Additional voices:
                      Michael Sorich - Islander A
                      Tony Oliver - Islander B
                      Kyle Hebert - Sailor C
                      Ray Chase

Thank goodness the English Credits for the Toonami airing of Hunter x Hunter, credited all the voice actors (both the original Japanese and the English version) involved in this episode, especially in regards to the miscellaneous/incidental characters that only make a single appearance. You don't see that in many of the Bang Zoom! dub shows that aired on Toonami, especially in the case with Kill la Kill which ONLY just listed the Main Dub cast in the end credits for every episode.

Also, I don't know about the name Hank Ketchum. At first the name sound like a newcomer, but might be an alias of someone else. So that means the show's non-union then, I can live with it, as long as the performances of the cast matters and the show is a mix of both veteran fi-core and next generation voice actors. I'll close this sentence for now so I don't want to spin my wheels and get into a lot of trouble like last time.
                      Last edited by Animefan1995; 04-17-2016, 08:06 PM. Reason: Small changes here

Comment

Re: 1 & Only Cast Announcements and Rumors Thread

Sweet! 148 whole episodes with actual credits!

Comment

It was really cool hearing Rachael in HxH last night. She's been absent from anime for a few years, and is one of my favorite VAs, so it's cool to hear her back! Hope she gets more roles in the future.

Also I love that Bang Zoom actually credits each of their VAs episode-by-episode with their specific roles. That's the way it always should be done.
                          Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

Also, I don't know about the name Hank Ketchum. At first the name sound like a newcomer, but might be an alias of someone else. So that means the show's non-union then, I can live with it, as long as the performances of the cast matters and the show is a mix of both veteran fi-core and next generation voice actors. I'll close this sentence for now so I don't want to spin my wheels and get into a lot of trouble like last time.
                            Hank Ketchum's just an alias

My Anime Planet List

Comment

Oh dude I'm so glad they got Ash's dad to voice the ship captain in this! I hear he also created Dennis the Menace.

(First rule of Fight Club, guys.)

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X