Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruroni Kenshin: New Kyoto Arc Dub

Widgets Magazine
    I haven't heard this dub, but looking at the cast and crew, it looks like that the cast from ADV's underwhelming Samurai X OVA dub reprised their roles instead of the cast from the more renowned Media Blasters dub. Now granted, the first RK OVA dub was done over fifteen years ago, so I think the handling of it might have been a bit wobbly then, but given that this is years later, is there any improvements in this one? Seeing that Charles Campbell is the voice director is also a bit concerning; he turned out excellent work in Nadia and The Devil Lady, but I felt he didn't really have the right tone for Ruroni Kenshin, what with everyone sounding wooden. Out of curiosity, I scouted for reviews of the dub, and unfortunately a lot of them seem to be on the negative side, save for Meg Bauman who gets praise as Misao. As she was one of my favorite voice actresses from Monster Island, I was curious to know how she fared in this, but I don't want to sit through a disappointing dub.

Has anyone seen this? Is it really any better than the previous OVA dub ADV did or not?

Re: Ruroni Kenshin: New Kyoto Arc Dub

I haven't personally seen it (because I despise ADV's dub for RK) but friends who have said that it the dub was very wooden and uninspiring and told me to just avoid the OVA altogether since it was been better with the TV series.
    "WHO ARE YOU CALLING A RUNT SO TINY HE CAN ONLY BE SEEN THROUGH A MAGNIFYING GLASS, YOU JERK!!!!" - Edward Elric

Comment

How could the same studio/director who did phenomenal results with the likes of Petite Princess Yucie, Steam Detectives, and Nadia misfire with a high-profile title such as this?

My guess is that Charlie Campbell didn't really handle the material for this as smoothly as he could have. I don't know why those three turned out so much better than this.

Comment

Originally posted by JTurner View Post
        How could the same studio/director who did phenomenal results with the likes of Petite Princess Yucie, Steam Detectives, and Nadia misfire with a high-profile title such as this?
        Yucie wasn't directed by Campbell. That was Robert S. Fisher.

Comment

Oh, my mistake. Hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by JTurner View Post
            For the same reason the same studio that did Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell also turned out the Gundam movie trilogy. Not every project will suck, and not every project will be good.
            Avatar: Ryoga Hibiki from Ranma 1/2

Comment

Widgets Magazine
            Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
            Widgets Magazine
            Working...
            X