Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• List of Aniplex of America Dubs

Widgets Magazine
    With a thread regarding which Sentai shows are being dubbed and which ones are still TBD, I thought that I would do one of these threads for Aniplex shows as well seeing that their decision to dub shows operates in similar fashion to Sentai in that they release a good number of stuff with dubs and a good number of sub-only releases as well. Unlike with Sentai, Aniplex's catalog is much smaller, so I will post the decision made for every title. When announcements regarding dubs come in, this post will be updated with the latest news appearing at the bottom of the post. Feel free to discuss Aniplex's decision to dub a certain title or not as well speculate what they might do.

Availability Codes:
    [CR] = Crunchyroll, [FN] = Funination, [HI] = HIDIVE, [NX] = Netflix, [HU] = Hulu, [AZ] = Amazon Prime Video

Released Domestically with Dubs
    Aldnoah.Zero [NX]
    Anohana (TV series) [NX]
    Asterisk War [HU]
    Blue Exorcist (Seasons 1 & 2, movie) [S1 on CR and NF; S2 on HU]
    Cells at Work! [FN, NX]
    Charlotte [FN, HU]
    *Darwin's Game [FN]
    *The Day I Became a God [FN]
    Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba
    Durarara!! (Seasons 1 & 2) [CR, FN, NX]
    Erased [FN, HU]
    Expelled From Paradise [NX]
    Fate/Apocrypha [NX]
    Fate/Extra: Last Encore [NX]
    Fate/Grand Order [FN]
    Fate/Grand Order: Absolute Demonic Front Babylonia [FN]
    Fate/Stay Night: Heaven's Feel
    Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV series) [CR, FN, HI, NX]
    Fate/Zero [CR, FN, HI, NX]
    God Eater [NX]
    Granblue Fantasy [CR, FN, NX]
    I Want to Eat Your Pancreas
    *The Irregular at Magic High School (Season 2) [FN]
    *Kaguya-sama: Love is War (Season 2) [FN]
    Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu [FN]
    Kill la Kill [CR, NF]
    Kiznaiver [CR]
    Lord El-Melloi II Case Files [FN]
    Magi (Labyrinth and Kingdom) [GO]
    Magia Record [FN]
    March Comes in Like a Lion [CR]
    *The Millionaire Detective Balance:Unlimited [FN]
    The Misfit of Demon King Academy [CR]
    Occultic;Nine [CR, FN]
    Persona 5 (TV Series) [FN]
    The Promised Neverland [FN, NX]
    Puella Magi Madoka Magica (TV series, movies) [TV Series on CR, FN, NX, and AZ; Movies on NX]
    Record of Grancrest War [FN, NX]
    *Super HxEros [FN]
    Sword Art Online (All seasons, Extra Edition, Ordinal Scale) [CR, NF, FN]
    Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online [NX, HU]
    *Warlords of Sigrdrifa [FN]
    Your Lie in April [CR, FN, NX]

*Indicates dub by Funimation as part of their partnership through Sony

Released Domestically with Pre-existing Dubs
    Baccano
    Black Butler
    Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood [CR, FN, NX, AZ]
    Gurren Lagann (TV series only) [FN, NX, AZ]
    Read or Die (OVA and TV series)

Released Domestically Sub-Only
    Anthem of the Heart
    Blast of Tempest
    Blend S
    Classmates
    Eromanga-Sensei
    Garden of Sinners
    Gurren Lagann (movies only)
    Gyo
    The Irregular at Magic High School (season 1)
    Kaguya-sama: Love is War (season 1)
    Monogatari Series
    Nisekoi
    Oreimo
    Oreshura
    Persona 3
    Persona 4 The Golden Animation
    Persona 5 (special only)
    Plastic Memories
    Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
    Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend
    Servant x Service
    Silver Spoon
    Valvrave the Liberator
    Vividred Operation
    Wagnaria! (season 3 and www only)
    World Conquest Zvezda Plot

Decision on the Dub TBD
    22/7
    Do You Love Your Mom and Her Two-Hit Multi-Target Attacks?
    The Gymnastics Samurai
    Horimiya
    Hypnosis Mic
    SK8 the Infinity
    Today's Menu for Emiya Family
    Uchi Tama: Have You Seen My Tama?
    We Never Learn

Will it Even be Released?
    Classroom Crisis
    Dakaichi
    Day Break Illusion
    Gunslinger Stratos
    Hell Girl Fourth Twilight
    High School Fleet
    HoneyWorks Series
    Mekaku City Actors
    Mushishi: Next Passage
    Nanana's Buried Treasure
    Samurai Flamenco
    Slow Start
    Yuuna and the Haunted Hot Springs

Latest News: Added Summer and Fall 2020 shows, Persona 5, and Lord El-Melloi II to list of dubs, suspended moving of titles to last tier until pandemic eases
    Last edited by Buckeye; 10-03-2020, 04:56 PM.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: The Ohio State University Buckeyes
    Watching: Tylor, Astra Lost in Space, School-Live!, Vanguard
    Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Re: List of Aniplex of America Dubs

Not sure if it's worth the trouble but concerning sub-only releases some of them may still get dubs (e.g. Persona 3 movies) Isn't it standard practice for Aniplex USA to first release import sub-only versions for some of their more popular titles? (e.g. Fate, Madoka)

It's not like as soon as it's released sub-only (as an import and usually coinciding with the Japanese release date) that the odds of it getting dubbed (as a domestic release and at a slightly lower price) are immediately slashed.

Maybe tag the sub-only titles that have only been released as imports so far?

I know a lot of fans would like Mushishi: Next Passage to get a dub but maybe it's too niche? Silver Spoon should've gotten a dub. Still hoping Garden of Sinners someday gets dubbed.

Nothing else on the TBD list catches my interest. The movie hasn't even been released yet but it's pretty much guaranteed that Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel will eventually get licensed and dubbed.

God Eater might get licensed considering how often Ufotable deals with Aniplex USA. That would be a good candidate for a dub and probably make gamers happy.

It's still ongoing but the Magi: Adventure of Sinbad OVA series is always an option for licensing.
    Last edited by Mr_Ecchi_Man; 06-19-2015, 03:03 AM.

Comment

^Do series usually have to be finished before licensing?

I'd love for anything to get dubbed, but most of all (and probably not very likely) I'd love to see the Monogatari series get dubbed.

Looking at the TBD list I'm not seeing too many potentials to be dubbed. It really only seems to be the heavy hitters that are dubbed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Ecchi_Man View Post
        Not sure if it's worth the trouble but concerning sub-only releases some of them may still get dubs (e.g. Persona 3 movies) Isn't it standard practice for Aniplex USA to first release import sub-only versions for some of their more popular titles? (e.g. Fate, Madoka)
        One other thing to consider is the release pattern in Japan as for most shows, they come out in singles with 2-3 episodes per volume. That kind of release scheme is just not going to cut it in America, especially considering the price tag for importing. Fate was released in one-cour sets like how most shows are released here in America. As for movies, there's no other release pattern but to have everything in a single set, so those are shows Aniplex could practically import.

It's not like as soon as it's released sub-only (as an import and usually coinciding with the Japanese release date) that the odds of it getting dubbed (as a domestic release and at a slightly lower price) are immediately slashed.
        There is always that possibility, but I wouldn't get my hopes up for anything to be re-released with a dub from Aniplex.

Maybe tag the sub-only titles that have only been released as imports so far?
        Alright, I'll make a note of that. I moved the Persona 3 released to the TBD section with a note that an import was released.

I know a lot of fans would like Mushishi: Next Passage to get a dub but maybe it's too niche? Silver Spoon should've gotten a dub. Still hoping Garden of Sinners someday gets dubbed.
        Well, rumor has it that Bang Zoom is holding open auditions for an Aniplex title at AX this year, and Mushishi would be an ideal show for this kind of setup as there's only one recurring character and everybody else appears for a single episode. Seeing that the first season was dubbed and Ginko's VA has since moved to LA that there's the possibility. Silver Spoon is way too niche, and it would probably not gotten a dub by anybody except for those that dub everything. And Garden of Sinners would be an ideal choice for a dub.

Nothing else on the TBD list catches my interest. The movie hasn't even been released yet but it's pretty much guaranteed that Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel will eventually get licensed and dubbed.
        Well, I can't see any of those shows currently TBD getting a dub except for maybe Mushishi and Asterisk War (which I know squat about currently other than the fact that it's being directed by the same guy who does Irregular at Magic High School). But if Aniplex decided to pass on dubbing Valvrave, Nisekoi, and Irregular at Magic High School, then I can't see them dubbing any of those other shows seeing that they just aren't as marketable as those.

God Eater might get licensed considering how often Ufotable deals with Aniplex USA. That would be a good candidate for a dub and probably make gamers happy.
        We shall see. Persona 4 Golden didn't get dubbed, but there were special circumstances for that show seeing that it's catered towards fans of the franchise rather than the casual anime viewer like the original series is.
        Simulcasts: MHA, TYE, TRN, TSL, HIG, IMH, PMM, KMD, OGF, AQT, VTS, FPP, REM, ROL, DDM, GRO, JHY, HRH, PBR, SGK, SON
        The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
          Decision on the Dub TBD
          Day Break Illusion
          At this point I'd just like to see Day Break Illusion released at all

Here's hoping for a dub for Your Lie in April and Mushishi. Wasn't there talk of Flamenco being dubbed?

Comment

I thought that I heard some rumors, but that was a while back. Maybe a release will be announced at AnimeExpo, but it sounds like Aniplex already has their plates full.

Comment

Maybe a category for "not released" should be added.
              AOTY 2015: Food Wars!, AssClass, Seraph of the End, Fafner Exodus, UtaPri3, Herobank, MajinBone, Durarara!!x2, Buddyfight, Vanguard G, Yugioh Arc-V MAL|

Comment

We shall see. Persona 4 Golden didn't get dubbed, but there were special circumstances for that show seeing that it's catered towards fans of the franchise rather than the casual anime viewer like the original series is.
                God Eater is listed as BANDAI NAMCO on Daisuki and to my knowledge AoJ doesn't have anything to do with it.
                So the chances of it winding up as an AoA title are really slim.

My AP Profile

Comment

Released Domestically with Pre-existing Dubs
                  Rurouni Kenshin (Trust & Betrayal, Reflection, movie)
                  Aniplex of America only distributed the Japan import BDs. The only domestic releases in the past were the DVDs by ADV (under Samurai X).

Comment

The list has been updated to reflect Aniplex's licensing of Charlotte, Classroom Crisis, God Eater, and Wagnaria season 3. I'll go ahead and mark Wagnaria season 3 as being a sub-only release seeing that the the first two were not dubbed by NIS America and I don't see any reason for Aniplex to dub this season. At the moment, I don't know enough about the other shows to see if they are worthy of a dub, but out of these I would say God Eater would have the best chance based on the fact that it's based off a VG.

Comment

Since Aniplex put up Mushishi Next Passage on Netflix, what do you think the odds of that being dubbed are? It's not an action title, it's not really a melodrama, but it is one of those really critically acclaimed shows. I wonder if Aniplex will factor that in or not.

Comment

If critical acclaim played a role in dub decisions Mahouka Koukou, Valvrave, BLast of Tempest, and Mekakucity Actors would all have been dubbed. With DRRR and BLue Exorcist and A/Z in their portfolio, all of those highly rated anime would be dubbed.
                        AOTY 2015: Food Wars!, AssClass, Seraph of the End, Fafner Exodus, UtaPri3, Herobank, MajinBone, Durarara!!x2, Buddyfight, Vanguard G, Yugioh Arc-V MAL|

Comment

Originally posted by 27CansOfTuna View Post
                          If critical acclaim played a role in dub decisions Mahouka Koukou, Valvrave, and Mekakucity Actors would all have been dubbed. With DRRR and BLue Exorcist and A/Z in their portfolio, all of those highly rated anime would be dubbed.
                          Maybe you love those shows, but to the general audience they has pretty mixed opinions about those shows. There's that, and there's marketability to factor into seeing that it's expensive to dub these shows, so they want to avoid dubbing shows with marginal interest. If acclaim is the only factor to consider, then shows like Monogatari and Silver Spoon would have been dubbed, but seeing that these shows are catered towards a specific audience rather than a widespread one that those shows didn't get dubbed as Aniplex would be losing lots of money over them.

Anyway, I'm hoping that Aniplex does end up dubbing Mushishi, but I'm not holding my breath seeing the way they operate. And then there's the matter of getting Travis Willingham back seeing that there's no point in dubbing it if he isn't voicing Ginko again.

Comment

I was surprised that Valvrave wasn't dubbed. Mixed reception aside, it seemed like a safe bet to receive a dub and it did have a decent fanbase (from what I could tell). Irregular and Mekakucity, on the other hand, I can definitely understand being sub-only.

Comment

Looking through all of their titles, I'd say most of their catalog is mostly predictable on what will get English dubs or not. However, because they are dubbing Your Lie is in April, it makes it a little harder to predict what Aniplex USA is dubbing.

Regardless, I would say that there are a good number of Aniplex USA's titles that will most likely be sub-only releases with a very few select popular titles that will be dubbed while the more otaku-pandering and more niche titles will not. It's highly unlikely Aniplex USA will dub any romantic comedies or slice of life titles as well.

Very likely
                              Asterisk War
                              God Eater
                              Gunslinger Stratos
                              Mushishi: Next Passage
                              Persona 3

50/50
                              Charlotte (this one was difficult to pinpoint, but I concluded that's it'll most likely be a 50/50 with a slight favorability due to the fact that the anime has Key Visual Arts and Jun Maeda around as well as being one of the most popular anime titles in Aniplex USA's catalog. What prevents it from being a very likely is the fact that they don't have a history of dubbing stuff from Key Visual Arts works much like Sentai Filmwork does).

Probably not (may not even get a home video release)
                              Classroom Crisis
                              Day Break Illusion
                              Mekaku City Actors
                              Nanana's Buried Treasure
                              Plastic Memories
                              Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend
                              Samurai Flamenco

Too early to call
                              Anthem of the Heart
                              Avatar: Sizuru Nakatsu from Rewrite! (if the anime and VN gets an English dub, Faye Mata should voice this character)

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X